Solo cruisers: not a good time to book?

I just checked on one of our upcoming cruises for any price changes and noticed that right now seems to be a particularly poor time to book as a solo. Since RCI's latest sale started (60% off of the second guest) it appears that solo's are getting nothing off. For example, on one cruise that we are presently booked on, a D3 cabin is $1231.00 per person double occupancy. To book this cabin as a solo it is $3516.00. I have no idea if RCI would make an adjustment if called but that is how it comes out on the website. And this doesn't seem to be an issue with just this one particular cruise. On another cruise we have booked an ocean view category G is $954.00 pp double and $2726.00 as a solo.

It is crazy if they are really hitting up singles for over $1000.00 what two people can get the cabin for. We have a cousin who was thinking about coming along as a solo but it isn't going to happen with this pricing. Hopefully, it is just a website glitch.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I've just booked the Oasis on the 3rd of December as a package. Flights from UK, overnight stay, transfers and cruise in a Q inside for £1600 solo. I've twisted my friend to come and now works out at £1135. Not a massive amount but still a saving. I think it depends on where and when.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a naive question but if they're adding that much for a double, could you get the required information about a friend, book the two of you, and then not have the friend show up boarding day?

This is a naive question but if they're adding that much for a double, could you get the required information about a friend, book the two of you, and then not have the friend show up boarding day?

This is exactly what I would be doing. Maybe the cruiseline is thinking they might make more in booze, gambling, and the like from a second person. Who knows.

That's a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I called Royal Caribbean several days ago, when they came out with the 60 per cent off, they removed the discount from solo pricings so that solo cruises were 2,000 - 3,000 dollars more than the same cruise for two passengers. They fixed many of them, and put the 60 percent back in, but there are still some they didn't fix. Call them - it's an IT problem. I will be calling on Monday with some that I've caught, as well.

I called Royal Caribbean several days ago, when they came out with the 60 per cent off, they removed the discount from solo pricings so that solo cruises were 2,000 - 3,000 dollars more than the same cruise for two passengers. They fixed many of them, and put the 60 percent back in, but there are still some they didn't fix. Call them - it's an IT problem. I will be calling on Monday with some that I've caught, as well.

Yes, sadly the website has been more problematic than usual. They should move in the direction of other cruise lines and allow passengers to plug in "1" traveler. Then again knowing them, it would just get more screwed up.

So many just add a fake person which is usually never actually needed, just a call will correct the solo pricing error.

I am thinking Royal is restricting cabins again with the Solo's. I know I found 2 cruises and I didn't book either price way to high and couldn't get the cabins that I wanted. I found a corner aft on Freedom available though, but I am not sure I want the hike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

This is exactly what I would be doing. Maybe the cruiseline is thinking they might make more in booze, gambling, and the like from a second person. Who knows.

Isn't it possible if you book a cruise with a 60% discount for second person, and they are a no show, for RCI to eliminate that discount from your booking on boarding day?? Does anyone have evidence of this actually happening one way or the other?

I haven't tried this work around stunt, but if you watched this sale and the previous sale this one is 60% off 2nd; previous 30% off the first 2. Isn't it convenient that kids are usually free. This ain't no sale! It is magic wand and slight of hand move numbers. I would hope Royal wouldn't get wise or even press the issue on that piece of the cost.

I am just getting completely fed up with so much of going through life and having to carry double when you are one, like my cell now with these new plans. Can't get a free phone unless you need at least 2.

What happened to actually catering to the singles and being kind instead of charging the bank at them.

I haven't tried this work around stunt, but if you watched this sale and the previous sale this one is 60% off 2nd; previous 30% off the first 2. Isn't it convenient that kids are usually free. This ain't no sale! It is magic wand and slight of hand move numbers. I would hope Royal wouldn't get wise or even press the issue on that piece of the cost.

I am just getting completely fed up with so much of going through life and having to carry double when yoeu are one, like my cell now with these new plans. Can't get a free phone unless you need at least 2.

What happened to actually catering to the singles and being kind instead of charging the bank at them.

You're exactly right. I just got off the phone with RCI. You do not get 60% off second guest PLUS 30% off the first guest (orignal discount), You get 60% off second guest only, so there is no change to your overall price. I was going to add a phatom no show second guest, but there was no change.........

You're exactly right. I just got off the phone with RCI. You do not get 60% off second guest PLUS 30% off the first guest (orignal discount), You get 60% off second guest only, so there is no change to your overall price. I was going to add a phatom no show second guest, but there was no change.........

Your sure about that, because it should be 8 to15% higher for a solo! Then 2 actual people via the metrics.

Your sure about that, because it should be 8 to15% higher for a solo! Then 2 actual people via the metrics.

Yes, I'm sure. I called concerning my current solo booking, and the booking price adding a second guest was the same, both before and after the discount.

Isn't it possible if you book a cruise with a 60% discount for second person, and they are a no show, for RCI to eliminate that discount from your booking on boarding day?? Does anyone have evidence of this actually happening one way or the other?

I book with a fake second pax when there was a 50% discount for second pax. When I check in the staff said you don't have the second pax with you. I said yes and she just continue to check me in.

As a solo pax, I know how the OP feels. Over a year ago I booked a CP balcony on Harmony, Nov 2017. I travel with family but prefer my own room, hate the solo cabins and want the double points. When I booked, my room cost a whopping $2338 and that was the "WOW sale" w/ $100 OBC! So, I signed up with a cruise watch (can't say the name here [emoji850]) that monitored this sailing & room type for me, and I called my TA whenever there was a decent price drop.

Four price drops later and I'm now down to $1848 and that inc. taxes, pre-paid grats., $75 OBC, travel insurance and a complimentary spa treatment. At the same time, the solo cabin was a little over $1700 and only inc taxes![emoji44]

So, whenever I need to check if a "sale" is worth a call to my TA, I first do the math: base price X 2 + port tax for one person. Unfortunately, the price has since gone up but I'll keep [emoji102] for those drops, especially just before final payment! [emoji857]

The pricing was a bit whacky for solos the last 24 hours. One cruise I've been eyeballing is fixed while the other one still is not. I know RCCL prefers NOT to cater to the solo market as it's not as profitable but still... the amount of the difference.... $4,500 is just jaw dropping! Here's hoping the next sale fixes this glitch completely system-wide! :D

Yes, sadly the website has been more problematic than usual. They should move in the direction of other cruise lines and allow passengers to plug in "1" traveler. Then again knowing them, it would just get more screwed up.

So many just add a fake person which is usually never actually needed, just a call will correct the solo pricing error.

When doing a dummy booking on line you change "2" for "1" for number of guests. Just booking a cruise and got the 60% off second passenger.

It looks like this must have been an IT glitch. Today pricing the cruises out for a solo comes out to only 200% as I would have expected.

It's nice when you get the 150% supplement at 340 points. My Solo rate on the 2019 Explorer TA is $2,075.

The price for two is $3,204. :D

Bella needs a babysitter for 24+ days. ;)

Beach condo included.

What's really crazy is when the (108 sq. ft.) studio cabins on the Radiance-class ships for solo travelers cost more than 200% of the double occupancy rate of a standard inside cabin! The May 2019 12-night Hawaii repo cruise on Radiance starts at $3,052.69 for 1 person in a 6V inside cabin vs. $4,413.69 for the studio! :eek: This is how they get that figure:

Summary

Studio Interior Guarantee

$6,226.00

1 Guests

BOGO60

-$1,853.00

Instant Savings

-$50.00

Subtotal:

$4,323.00

Taxes & Fees

$90.69

Total

$4,413.69

It's nice when you get the 150% supplement at 340 points. My Solo rate on the 2019 Explorer TA is $2,075.

The price for two is $3,204. :D

Bella needs a babysitter for 24+ days. ;)

Beach condo included.

Bella can stay with me in Satellite Beach.

:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app