Cutbacks...Anymore? Additions?

skiingj

My issue with the cabin servicing questionnaire is, why ask guests to do it? Why not just offer the traditional twice a day service without being asked to? The natural response is guilt. What other service industry asks, "We're willing to do something extra for you, but do you really want us to?"

I don't have a huge issue with minor cutbacks. Every line does it. My issue is that Carnival really isn't that cheap anymore. If you take advantage of perks offered by other lines than Carnival may be much more expensive overall.

Well I certainly can't talk to whether you think of Carnival is cheap or not. My view of your assessment that they are trying to guilt cruisers into accepting less than what they really want, is its jilted. Another view (documented by many many posts on many many threads here) is that a lot (my unscientific count is over 50%) in fact prefer once a day. If that is true, it certainly makes sense for them to ask.

My response on what other "perks" other lines offer is there is a reason they have to offer freebies to get you to cruise on their ships. My logic tells me that the product needs the perks to sell the cabins. Your opinion may differ, which is of course fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well I certainly can't talk to whether you think of Carnival is cheap or not. My view of your assessment that they are trying to guilt cruisers into accepting less than what they really want, is its jilted. Another view (documented by many many posts on many many threads here) is that a lot (my unscientific count is over 50%) in fact prefer once a day. If that is true, it certainly makes sense for them to ask.

My response on what other "perks" other lines offer is there is a reason they have to offer freebies to get you to cruise on their ships. My logic tells me that the product needs the perks to sell the cabins. Your opinion may differ, which is of course fine.

Cheap was a bad word to use. I mean less expensive than their competitors, namely NCL and RCI. Maybe I don't give Carnival a fair assessment in this department because I only price cruises out of Baltimore and NYC. I just don't like to fly to a cruise. For my cruise coming up on NCL to Bermuda I paid less for a mini-suite than an ocean view would have cost on the Pride to the Bahamas. That isn't even figuring in the free unlimited drinks and specialty dining package. Now I enjoy both lines. I give a slight edge to NCL for meals and entertainment, but the steak house on the Pride is every bit as good as NCL's upcharge restaurants.

I don't blame CCL for charging what they do. They are still selling out at current prices and no real promos. They have developed a nearly cult like following. John Heald can ask if it's raining out on Facebook and get 2,000 responses. However, since their prices are now in line with other lines their offerings should be as well. While other lines are adding legit off-broadway shows to their new ships, CCL is going with an upcharged IMAX theater. I have 3 of those within 3 miles of my house. A lot of those loyal followers may try another line and leave. CCL does do a great job with marketing and replacing them with new cruisers though.

Any for-profit business that doesn't cut back and go lean and mean is detached from 21st century economy.

yes but then there is greed which unfortunately is far to common in the 21st century economy

yes but then there is greed which unfortunately is far to common in the 21st century economy

Work both ways. Cruisers always want extras for nothing. Cruise lines want more of your money for less products and service. I call it fair game.

While on a general comment perspective I can't argue with your post, are you implying that applies to Carnival?

While on a general comment perspective I can't argue with your post, are you implying that applies to Carnival?

Not certain but probably would lean in the direction it does apply to Carnival. Profit is up and cutbacks are abound.

I'm not a travel agent but it was very clear Carnival tried eliminating them. Fortunately it didn't work and they have since re-partnered with TA's. They even tried eliminating TA's from providing incentives like OBC's. Can't see any other reason for doing this other than Carnival saving millions on commission, brochures and administrative costs by eliminating the middle man.

You have to print you own luggage and boarding passes now. Who benefits from that, Carnival.

I'm not finding more affordable cruise fairs today vs ten years ago. With all the cutbacks the past decade you would think they could lower the cost or provide something in return. I've yet to hear about any additions to the product or loyalty program. Makes you wonder....

Edited by skiingj

Not certain but probably would lean in the direction it does apply to Carnival. Profit is up and cutbacks are abound.

I'm not a travel agent but it was very clear Carnival tried eliminating them. Fortunately it didn't work and they have since re-partnered with TA's. They even tried eliminating TA's from providing incentives like OBC's. Can't see any other reason for doing this other than Carnival saving millions on commission, brochures and administrative costs by eliminating the middle man.

You have to print you own luggage and boarding passes now. Who benefits from that, Carnival.

I'm not finding more affordable cruise fairs today vs ten years ago. With all the cutbacks the past decade you would think they could lower the cost or provide something in return. I've yet to hear about any additions to the product or loyalty program. Makes you wonder....

I am TA and went through that experiment. I don't know how that affects cruisers. I would wager they have no more and arguably less cutbacks (or nickel and diming) than the

other major lines. Not sure what you would call an enhancement or comparable from another line, so I can't comment on that.

Their price while it has not dropped (don't know of any who have) from my perspective has not risen at least per se in that time.

I am TA and went through that experiment. I don't know how that affects cruisers.

It would affect cruises if TA started charging fees or not serving clients when booking Carnival. TA did that when the airlines gave them the boot. Another greedy deed by the airlines.

My point was trying to underscore why I lean towards greed.

Cruise Celebrity and get most of Carnival cutbacks back...

I would like to try Celebrity as I've heard very good things about them and Royal allows its loyalty program to cross over. Something I wish Carnival would do. Achieving Diamond and getting my one lifetime specially restaurant comp for two people is worth another ninety days at sea. ha

It would affect cruises if TA started charging fees or not serving clients when booking Carnival. TA did that when the airlines gave them the boot. Another greedy deed by the airlines.

My point was trying to underscore why I lean towards greed.

Understand.

I've been a loyal cruiser with Carnival for 14 years and have around 14 cruises

Just my opinion based on personal experience, but with 14 Carnival cruises in 14 years, you may not necessarily be turned off by cutbacks, but you may just be looking for something new.

I went through this a few years back. After 12 Carnival cruises, 9 of those in row, I decided to venture out and see what other cruise lines had to offer. There was nothing terribly wrong with Carnival (although some of the cutbacks to the Past guest program did bother me). I just wanted to see what else was out there.

During the last few years, I've vowed to not sail on the same cruise line two times in a row, and so far my little experiment has been going very well. I've experienced new cruise lines, new ships, and new destinations. And everything feels fresh and new every time I step onboard a new ship! I've thought about sailing on Carnival again to see how I like them now, but the "problem" that I have now is that I'd rather keep trying new cruise lines instead of going back to my days of being loyal to just one. Maybe you should continue experiencing other cruise lines as well. [emoji3]

Just my opinion based on personal experience, but with 14 Carnival cruises in 14 years, you may not necessarily be turned off by cutbacks, but you may just be looking for something new.

I went through this a few years back. After 12 Carnival cruises, 9 of those in row, I decided to venture out and see what other cruise lines had to offer. There was nothing terribly wrong with Carnival (although some of the cutbacks to the Past guest program did bother me). I just wanted to see what else was out there.

During the last few years, I've vowed to not sail on the same cruise line two times in a row, and so far my little experiment has been going very well. I've experienced new cruise lines, new ships, and new destinations. And everything feels fresh and new every time I step onboard a new ship! I've thought about sailing on Carnival again to see how I like them now, but the "problem" that I have now is that I'd rather keep trying new cruise lines instead of going back to my days of being loyal to just one. Maybe you should continue experiencing other cruise lines as well. [emoji3]

Good point! Probably true for me as well. I have done five HAL with two more booked this year. Cruised Princess and Costa once each. The five star ships are too pricey and stuffy for me. Going to be interesting with MSC and Virgin pushing into the market. Would like to try MSC but I didn't like Costa and think I would have the same problem with MSC.... Happy cruising!!

Totally agree. The cutting back AND charging more is what I have a problem with.

I don't have a huge issue with minor cutbacks. Every line does it. My issue is that Carnival really isn't that cheap anymore. If you take advantage of perks offered by other lines than Carnival may be much more expensive overall.

When you have "cutbacks" often times, and for many businesses, you also have an increase in costs. Carnival has an issue of slowly removing items, that are customary, and than increasing the workload of employees. Other words, they test the limits and stop at a breaking point. Than, after reducing employees, and creating long lines at choke points. Examples are guest services, and tenders. Also slow down luggage delivery. Now, you create an incentive to sell a product to get better service, called FTTF. Other words, create demand, to get people excited at buying a service, to receive free products.

So if you Carnival parks next to RCCL, you will notice if you really want to notice the long lines on a Carnival Ship, vs the RCCL. Those lines are created by Carnival. They are created to sell items. The pathway is blocked by a photographer - to sell a product.

Other lines do have some cutbacks, or they make changes. However, they have not cutback the service provided. They don't have Long Lines at GS. It's easy to get off the ship. Food budgets have increased. Family friendly activities (as some people call it amusement parks) have been added.

History also shows that once a company begins a downward spiral on service, it's an indication of trouble. Please, I know someone is going to say, than why are they sailing full all the time. Well, people just don't always know they can get a better product for nearly the same amount of money. Eventually, they notice.

We ventured out and tried NCL. We had been loyal to Carnival before that. NCL didn't have some things we took for granted on CCL. I also didn't like their food as much or their service. Shows were better, though. I didn't realize everyone else felt the same until I booked the next cruise and my kids asked what line. I told them Carnival and they jumped up and down screaming, "yes! Carnival!" Now we try to do CCL, but if there's a better deal somewhere else, I will take it. RCI has a great price (cheaper than Carnival!) for January, and we booked it.

I am loyal to none. Price matters and I do like to try out other lines when possible. IMHO, most budget lines are about the same.

Speaking of FTTF, that program has annoyed me since they rolled it out. There was a lady on our Vista cruise who was leading her group from the security area to the front of the line telling them you don't have to wait in line. Um, yes you do. It's just a different line. The Carnival employee at the front of the line kindly directed them back to end of the line where everyone else was waiting to be directed to the appropriate line. FTTF does not mean line jumping.

We turned platinum on our last Carnival cruise in April. Our priority boarding tag had FTTF on it. It appears that people who earned priority boarding by getting to Platinum and above and people who pay for priority boarding are all the same to Carnival. I don't know how much more expensive it is for them to just have the luggage tag say priority without the FTTF if you haven't paid for priority boarding but are still priority.

When you have "cutbacks" often times, and for many businesses, you also have an increase in costs. Carnival has an issue of slowly removing items, that are customary, and than increasing the workload of employees. Other words, they test the limits and stop at a breaking point. Than, after reducing employees, and creating long lines at choke points. Examples are guest services, and tenders. Also slow down luggage delivery. Now, you create an incentive to sell a product to get better service, called FTTF. Other words, create demand, to get people excited at buying a service, to receive free products....

When you have "cutbacks" often times, and for many businesses, you also have an increase in costs. Carnival has an issue of slowly removing items, that are customary, and than increasing the workload of employees. Other words, they test the limits and stop at a breaking point. Than, after reducing employees, and creating long lines at choke points. Examples are guest services, and tenders. Also slow down luggage delivery. Now, you create an incentive to sell a product to get better service, called FTTF. Other words, create demand, to get people excited at buying a service, to receive free products.

So if you Carnival parks next to RCCL, you will notice if you really want to notice the long lines on a Carnival Ship, vs the RCCL. Those lines are created by Carnival. They are created to sell items. The pathway is blocked by a photographer - to sell a product.

Other lines do have some cutbacks, or they make changes. However, they have not cutback the service provided. They don't have Long Lines at GS. It's easy to get off the ship. Food budgets have increased. Family friendly activities (as some people call it amusement parks) have been added.

History also shows that once a company begins a downward spiral on service, it's an indication of trouble. Please, I know someone is going to say, than why are they sailing full all the time. Well, people just don't always know they can get a better product for nearly the same amount of money. Eventually, they notice.

We need a fact check button for posts here....

We turned platinum on our last Carnival cruise in April. Our priority boarding tag had FTTF on it. It appears that people who earned priority boarding by getting to Platinum and above and people who pay for priority boarding are all the same to Carnival. I don't know how much more expensive it is for them to just have the luggage tag say priority without the FTTF if you haven't paid for priority boarding but are still priority.

Not even close to true....

We need a fact check button for posts here....

Jimbo, you and I both know that there is never any "fact" in a havingfun post.

Not even close to true....

Unless something has changed at Long Beach for years they have grouped FTTF and VIP in one large crowd and called them to board together. Several times as a VIP I couldn't even get into the VIP lounge and was told to wait outside. On one occasion I was even told to go over to the QM for check-in.

I guess I'm the oddball here. I'd rather pay more and get a better higher end product and cruise less often. Rather than pay less and go more often. I like it to be special and feel pampered.

I'm the opposite. My happy place is on the ocean and in the islands. So, the less I pay, the more often I get to do so. Give me a deck chair and keep the waiters coming by and I'm gravy. The ship is simply my vessel to get to those places. Anything else like dining room service, etc, give me an acceptable level of service and I'm happy. Heck, I'm even a little more lenient of those levels on a cruise because I'm just happy to be there and not staring at a computer under florescent lighting in my office at work.