Cutbacks...Anymore? Additions?

skiingj

We sailed on the Allure after mostly all Carnival and it was fantastic period. That being said I can't compare Royal to Carnival based on the Oasis class of ship , Carnival has nothing even comparably.

As far as cuts I believe all lines are making cuts. Carnival is still a good enough value to me.

I agree - I have 2 kinds of people on my ignore list:

1. Those who add nothing to the conversation because they are speaking only to inflame;

2. Those who decline to put spaces in their signature and caused my screen to go long (I decline to have things messed up in my view only because someone can't comprehend basic computer etiquette).

oh no that might be me. i am not very well informed about the computer but i try. Self taught and over 60.

I'm kind of middle of the road on this whole argument... I'm not a troll OR a cheerleader, just someone who appreciates cruising. I like Carnival and I see some good and some bad in the changes. I'm not averse to trying other cruiselines.

I agree there have been cutbacks, but then again I see that every day at home- Carrabba's restaurant used to have a meal I really enjoyed... that same meal is now smaller, they changed the sauce I LOVED, and it's now more expensive... I used to buy a half gallon of ice cream- now it's 1.44 quarts! (what the heck is that all about?) oh, and guess what? Yes, it's more expensive than it used to be.

So while there have been changes on Carnival I'm not thrilled about, they only work to help me make an informed decision about my cruising money... Just like I can go to a different restaurant or buy a different brand of ice cream, I can decide to cruise on another line. All I have to do is decide whether the change they made is worth me going to a different brand. Apparently, Carnival has passed the tipping point for some of you and you've moved to another brand. For others, the cutbacks aren't enough to force them to a different cruiseline, at least consistently.

What it comes down to is a matter of consumer choice... to some, the cutbacks are just typical of our commercial culture, where you get less and less for more money. For others, it's the straw that broke the camel's back. And neither is right or wrong- it just is.

I'm kind of middle of the road on this whole argument... I'm not a troll OR a cheerleader, just someone who appreciates cruising. I like Carnival and I see some good and some bad in the changes. I'm not averse to trying other cruiselines.

I agree there have been cutbacks, but then again I see that every day at home- Carrabba's restaurant used to have a meal I really enjoyed... that same meal is now smaller, they changed the sauce I LOVED, and it's now more expensive... I used to buy a half gallon of ice cream- now it's 1.44 quarts! (what the heck is that all about?) oh, and guess what? Yes, it's more expensive than it used to be.

So while there have been changes on Carnival I'm not thrilled about, they only work to help me make an informed decision about my cruising money... Just like I can go to a different restaurant or buy a different brand of ice cream, I can decide to cruise on another line. All I have to do is decide whether the change they made is worth me going to a different brand. Apparently, Carnival has passed the tipping point for some of you and you've moved to another brand. For others, the cutbacks aren't enough to force them to a different cruiseline, at least consistently.

What it comes down to is a matter of consumer choice... to some, the cutbacks are just typical of our commercial culture, where you get less and less for more money. For others, it's the straw that broke the camel's back. And neither is right or wrong- it just is.

I wish i knew what a troll was??:o And what is a cheer leader lol .sounds juvenile.:confused:

I wish i knew what a troll was??:o And what is a cheer leader lol .sounds juvenile.:confused:

If you read this thread you'll get a pretty good idea what both terms represent! and personally, I think both roles are kind of juvenile! after all, we're here to share information, ask questions and get answers... people are entitled to their opinions, whether you agree with them or not, regardless of which side of this argument you're on.

BTW Mistral- when I first read your comment I thought it kind of snide... but I decided that I'm taking the high road and assuming you were just teasing.

If you read this thread you'll get a pretty good idea what both terms represent! and personally, I think both roles are kind of juvenile! after all, we're here to share information, ask questions and get answers... people are entitled to their opinions, whether you agree with them or not, regardless of which side of this argument you're on.

BTW Mistral- when I first read your comment I thought it kind of snide... but I decided that I'm taking the high road and assuming you were just teasing.

Sure i was . I agree with you everyone should have a right to post their opinion. :halo:

Ice sculptures? Haven't seen them lately??? Artistically designed buffets worthy of taking before pictures? Missing. But i think they have been missing for several years now about 10 years I imagine.

Take a Journey cruise, they have the midnight buffet with the sculptures.

I haven't seen those midnight buffets on Royal or Celebrity either.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Take a Journey cruise, they have the midnight buffet with the sculptures.

I haven't seen those midnight buffets on Royal or Celebrity either.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I know, I still love to cruise. I haven't been on celebrity for a long time . But i love this cruise line also. I am just replying to the post what has been cut. And these are the things i've noticed. A real bummer was the midnight buffet :( But i will get over it.:D

• picture of ship (you can buy one) >>>it was free ;)
  • shrimp gate (on our last cruise we got shrimp) >>>it was on the mdr menu every night and the cut was short lived
  • table clothes (strictly esthetics only - who needs them??) >>>some believe its a much better look
  • hard alcohol drink sizes have been considerably reduced in size (drink soda) uhh?
  • room steward service is great but they adjusted their schedule to not be around as much. >>>miss the interaction. (they have a job to do, they aren't there to entertain you, thats the job of the entertainment crew) >>>it was part of the cruise experience......
  • pillow mints (really?? You ate those?) >>>some ;)
  • guest responsible for printing luggage & boarding documents (??? I'm responsible for printing all my docs on every cruise.. Aren't we all??) >>>8 -10 years ago they sent you a nice packet with all docs and tags included. I miss the tags. It was easy to apply them.

I have to tell you on holland america they gave me a beautiful document holder in a dark blue color . It was made out of a satin like material and i use it every time i cruise. That is what the documents came in. That was quite a few years ago though

They did have nice holders. Although its a vastly different cruise line I love HAL. I'm starting to fit in with the HAL demographics now that I'm almost fifty ;) Looking forward to a HAL B2B Alaska/Pacific Coastal in September

Bravo! Well said. I agree and I'm one of those who have reached that tipping point. I'm not saying I will never cruise Carnival again, but I will be booking fewer cruises with them in the future.

Like the people in Plato's story, The Cave, I've been outside and I'm no longer content with the status quo. We have recently sailed with Viking and there's a world of difference.

I know it's an apples to steak comparison but if you are willing and able to spend the money, you can get an upgraded experience.

So we will probably do a mix of mainstream and higher end when we can, but I have to admit that I'm spoiled [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The so-called claims of "cheerleaders" in this thread are unfounded, in my opinion. At one point, the OP posted a list of things they considered to be cutbacks. They then asked for anyone to post any additions that Carnival has made. The moment someone did that, the OP accused them of being a "kool-aid drinker." That's when the claims of "cheerleader" started flying around. The OP asked for an opposing observation and when they got it, they started calling names. Just because someone points out a perceived positive in response to a person's perceived negative doesn't make them a cheerleader for Carnival.

The so-called claims of "cheerleaders" in this thread are unfounded, in my opinion. At one point, the OP posted a list of things they considered to be cutbacks. They then asked for anyone to post any additions that Carnival has made. The moment someone did that, the OP accused them of being a "kool-aid drinker." That's when the claims of "cheerleader" started flying around. The OP asked for an opposing observation and when they got it, they started calling names. Just because someone points out a perceived positive in response to a person's perceived negative doesn't make them a cheerleader for Carnival.

Yeah, but we know who the cheerleaders are, though. Not that there's anything wrong with that. They may just resent being called cheerleaders, but their reputation precedes them. [emoji23]

And I disagree with you.

If you have only been on one cruise you really can't make an informed opinion about the cutbacks, as you've never experienced them yourself.

Many people here have cruised for years, they know there have been a lot of cutbacks since they first began cruising.

My husband and I took our first cruise in January 2001, and our last one in January 2017 and we too have experienced many of the cutbacks on our Carnival cruises. And the quality of the food is definitely one of the biggest cutbacks. I can name two cutbacks off the top of my head, the lobster tails are definitely smaller than they used to be, and no longer offering smoked salmon on the room service breakfast menu. There are others pertaining to the food as well, in the dining rooms and at the buffet as well. And cutbacks in other areas like less staff in the dining rooms meaning the servers have more tables to take care of than they used to so service does suffer, less room stewards so they now have more rooms to clean daily than they used to, no more gold card returning cruiser party, no more orchestra for the evening shows, less singers and dancers than they used to have for the shows, video instead of real props for the shows, the lack of tablecloths in the dining room, and on and on and on. For those of us who have been cruising for many years, we definitely have seen the cutbacks for ourselves.

Man, with all the excitement in this thread, I missed this a couple pages back. I think I might have missed that entire page. :o Go back and read my post again. I wasn't offering an opinion on all of the so-called cutbacks. I said quality of food is relative; therefore, in my opinion, can't be a cutback. People are saying that because the food tastes worse, it's a cutback. That's just not so because, again, the quality of the food is relative to each individual. The fact that we've only been on one cruise is irrelevant. I'm simply stating that we loved the food and just because some people think it tastes worse doesn't make it a cutback.

When it comes down to a few food items that are no longer served, you have no idea if it's an actual way to save money (a cutback) or if those items simply weren't popular. We're talking about thousands & thousands of people across a fleet of 20+ ships that cruise nonstop. I don't care how many cruises you've been on, you don't know the statistics that go along with any one food item. Yeah, it's possible they got rid of something just to save money. But it's also possible it simply wasn't a popular item across the entire fleet. A relatively small handful of people griping on an internet cruise forum doesn't make for a big enough sampling of people to make a determination either way. And finally, don't think people are ignorant to all things cruising just because they've only been on one cruise. There are things that don't require years of cruising to understand.

Man, with all the excitement in this thread, I missed this a couple pages back. I think I might have missed that entire page. :o Go back and read my post again. I wasn't offering an opinion on all of the so-called cutbacks. I said quality of food is relative; therefore, in my opinion, can't be a cutback. People are saying that because the food tastes worse, it's a cutback. That's just not so because, again, the quality of the food is relative to each individual. The fact that we've only been on one cruise is irrelevant. I'm simply stating that we loved the food and just because some people think it tastes worse doesn't make it a cutback.

When it comes down to a few food items that are no longer served, you have no idea if it's an actual way to save money (a cutback) or if those items simply weren't popular. We're talking about thousands & thousands of people across a fleet of 20+ ships that cruise nonstop. I don't care how many cruises you've been on, you don't know the statistics that go along with any one food item. Yeah, it's possible they got rid of something just to save money. But it's also possible it simply wasn't a popular item across the entire fleet. A relatively small handful of people griping on an internet cruise forum doesn't make for a big enough sampling of people to make a determination either way. And finally, don't think people are ignorant to all things cruising just because they've only been on one cruise. There are things that don't require years of cruising to understand.

Great post. And I agree whole heartedly.

I took my first cruise with Carnival in 2012 and before I went there was a lot of talk on here about cutbacks. Within a month or so of that cruise things were cut (no free cappuccino in the MDR, no more Fond Farewell party and the introduction of Red, so no past guest party for us) that were on our cruise and a few more before our next in 2014. Red received a free drink at brunch in 2014, it was switched for by our next cruise in 2016 and I'll finally be a gold next cruise, but now they are not invited to the past guest party. Service has declined as well, but for now, Carnival is still working for us. NCL and Royal Caribbean are more expensive for us - if we drank more, the free drink package on NCL might make up for it. Hubby likes Guy's burgers, the teens like the activities on board etc.

It is all about what one looks for in a cruise. The the past several years, the cruise industry has been cutting back on many aspects of their cruises. One can argue that Carnival has led the way with this, and it has not hurt their business. Cutbacks which I expect Carnival to do in the near future would include:

1) Cabin Service: Will be done once at the start of the cruise. You can have the option (for a surcharge) of daily service

2) Main Dining Room: Surcharge for eating in the MDR, with a greater emphasis on the cafeteria still lido deck

3) Broadway Style Production: Surchage to see them

4) Rooms Service: Will be available 27/7, again for a fee.

5) After hours dining: Will expect to see Pizza and Hamburger Stand open after 12:00 AM, again for a surcharge.

Will this work, I expect the answer will be yes.

It is all about what one looks for in a cruise. The the past several years, the cruise industry has been cutting back on many aspects of their cruises. One can argue that Carnival has led the way with this, and it has not hurt their business. Cutbacks which I expect Carnival to do in the near future would include:

1) Cabin Service: Will be done once at the start of the cruise. You can have the option (for a surcharge) of daily service

2) Main Dining Room: Surcharge for eating in the MDR, with a greater emphasis on the cafeteria still lido deck

5) After hours dining: Will expect to see Pizza and Hamburger Stand open after 12:00 AM, again for a surcharge.

Now THESE would be changes that would significantly change our cruise experience. I would definitely be looking for other types of vacations if the changes you mention would actually happen. However, based on what I've seen, I'd be surprised if we had to pay extra someday in the MDR, or pay to see a Broadway Style Production. That just seems like a "staple" that would be hard for the customers to go without.

Royal and NCL are already doing number 4 (except for continental breakfast) and it wouldn't surprise me that those 2 lines are the first to implement number 3.

I'd be shocked at number 2 - the cruise lines would have difficulty filling server spots if there wasn't the tips associated with the MDR (at breakfast and lunch, many of the assistant servers work the buffet and receive their share of the MDR dinner tips).

I don't see number 1 happening either - the staterooms would be very difficult to turn over in a couple of hours if they weren't serviced at all throughout the cruise. 7 nights without anyone changing out towels or sheets, or emptying the garbage can? You'd have garbage all over the ship and they would have to put in more cleaners (non-tipped position - which means Carnival foots the salary bill).

I would take the bet that none of these will happen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They did have nice holders. Although its a vastly different cruise line I love HAL. I'm starting to fit in with the HAL demographics now that I'm almost fifty ;) Looking forward to a HAL B2B Alaska/Pacific Coastal in September

George and i will be retired next year. I will be traveling more. Alaska sounds like a wonderful time. I will be 62 next year and George is already retired. We will be planning a lot of cruises and Alaska may be one of them. Hope you have a wonderful time.:D