Cutbacks...Anymore? Additions?

skiingj

Just my opinion based on personal experience, but with 14 Carnival cruises in 14 years, you may not necessarily be turned off by cutbacks, but you may just be looking for something new.

I went through this a few years back. After 12 Carnival cruises, 9 of those in row, I decided to venture out and see what other cruise lines had to offer. There was nothing terribly wrong with Carnival (although some of the cutbacks to the Past guest program did bother me). I just wanted to see what else was out there.

During the last few years, I've vowed to not sail on the same cruise line two times in a row, and so far my little experiment has been going very well. I've experienced new cruise lines, new ships, and new destinations. And everything feels fresh and new every time I step onboard a new ship! I've thought about sailing on Carnival again to see how I like them now, but the "problem" that I have now is that I'd rather keep trying new cruise lines instead of going back to my days of being loyal to just one. Maybe you should continue experiencing other cruise lines as well. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd be interested in what lines you've tried and liked and why. Feeling much the same, just need a push in the right direction.:) TIA

Did you see on the Royal Board where on the Harmony Of The Seas, they are "test implementing" that all in the cabin over 21 will have to purchase the Open Bar beverage package?

Just like CCL, except there are more options, and your are not limited to 15 drinks. Prices vary by ship/sailing and there are usually sales if you pre- book so it's usually cheaper.

Yes there are more ways to spend money on Royal, but there are also more free venues as well. There are good reasons to sail Carnival instead of Royal - but beverage package policy is not one of them.

Just like CCL, except there are more options, and your are not limited to 15 drinks. Prices vary by ship/sailing and there are usually sales if you pre- book so it's usually cheaper.

Yes there are more ways to spend money on Royal, but there are also more free venues as well. There are good reasons to sail Carnival instead of Royal - but beverage package policy is not one of them.

Everyone is different. I prefer CCL's beverage package. Don't have to worry if your drink is covered, all are up to $50 which is all of them. Very simple not need to see if an upgrade is needed. Get all the non alcoholic items. I don't want to drink 15 alcoholic drinks each day/any day. It costs less per day.

Did you see on the Royal Board where on the Harmony Of The Seas, they are "test implementing" that all in the cabin over 21 will have to purchase the Open Bar beverage package?

I really do not understand that company. They do keep throwing stuff up against the wall to see what sticks.....usually at the expense of their clients.

I would have to agree that there are more food venues, both free and pay.... and they even added a Carnival slide.....

Everyone is different. I prefer CCL's beverage package. Don't have to worry if your drink is covered, all are up to $50 which is all of them. Very simple not need to see if an upgrade is needed. Get all the non alcoholic items. I don't want to drink 15 alcoholic drinks each day/any day. It costs less per day.

Current rack rates for Carnival are $50+15% and Royal at $55+18%. However, it is very common for Royal to offer discounts ranging from 20 to 35% if you pre-book and I have not seen Carnival do this. So the Royal package usually works out much cheaper. You are correct with respect to up charges, If top shelf liquor or fine wines are in your cruising plans, Cheers is likely a better deal. If the cheaper stuff and beer satisfies your pallet, you'll likely do better on Royal if you book in advance and do not have to worry about hitting the max on drinks.

I really do not understand that company. They do keep throwing stuff up against the wall to see what sticks.....usually at the expense of their clients.

I see Carnival doing much of the same, except they are less straight forward about it. Things like once a day Cabin service floated as an option, but managed as the new standard. New menus and shows presented as "Brilliant" upgrades when they are just the opposite.

At least Royal is being straight forward about this beverage policy which is in line with Carnival and NCL. And without a hard cap on the number of drinks, like Cheers, package sharing is a real issue for them.

Originally posted bymeatloafsfan

The Oasis came out in late 2009 with the Allure setting sail late 2010. Carnival is and has been competing with Royal's Behemoth of the Seas line for quite some time now - and holding their own.

Not according to when you compare stock prices!

So agree, RCL stock is far better! Plus Carnival has nothing like an Oasis class ship. It was definitely an awesome experience on the Allure & Harmony. They blow the Vista out of the water. I love the Breeze but the Vista was a disappointment.

I would have to agree that there are more food venues, both free and pay.... and they even added a Carnival slide.....

Lol. If I wanted to hear about how great Royal Caribbean is, I would have stayed over there :) If a bunch from here to go over to that forum and start cheerleading all things Carnival, that wouldnt last 5 minutes. No idea why so much pro Royal Caribbean stuff is allowed here. It is not on topic to this particular forum or this particular thread.

Lol. If I wanted to hear about how great Royal Caribbean is, I would have stayed over there :) If a bunch from here to go over to that forum and start cheerleading all things Carnival, that wouldnt last 5 minutes. No idea why so much pro Royal Caribbean stuff is allowed here. It is not on topic to this particular forum or this particular thread.

It certainly is head scratching material. I really don't know what the fascination is, but I do know it is inbred. So much so that when we were on Oasis and went to the comedy club, half the material was slamming Carnival (and even more to the point - their cruisers). Another great but dated example

Is the loyal royals, who actually got perks for bashing. Go figure...

If you look carefully, you will find my "pro-royal" posts to be in response to "poo-royal" posts that were factually inaccurate.

RCCL has more pay restaurants then land based vacations....lol....I'm not a fan of cutbacks by any means but if you hit the other boards fans of other lines are complaining too. I just want to be on a cruise period

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

Can't argue with anything said here

Some posters like to only look at things they see as a negative and list their long list of their perceived "cutbacks". Other posters like to only look at things they see as a positive and can list an equally long list of their perceived "additions". A few others are like me, in the middle, and we see all the things on both lists as "changes" and we know that changes are simply a fact of life. Some changes affect us not others and some affect others and not us. It is up to us to choose a cruise that best fits our wants and needs for the vacations we are planning. It is not up to the cruise line to meet each of our personal wants and needs for our vacation....that is impossible and that is why we have choices. Cruise lines will make changes for different reasons like cost savings, market changes, and quite simply a changing society. If that change doesn't please you, then it is up to you make the change to another cruise line that better fits your wants/needs.

I am not cruise line loyal. I have a hard time understanding those that are and then complain when then their cruise line changes and is no longer "loyal" to them. News flash....they were never loyal to you. It is more accurate to say they are loyal to a target market and to their stock holders. Changes may happen to that target market and when the cruise line changes to accommodate those changes or they make a change to create savings due to a changing economy you may no longer be part of that target market. It's not personal people. It's business. Get over it and chose a line that better suites you now. Chances are that new line will eventually make changes too and then you may need to change again.

I personally prefer to look at each vacation separately and choose the SHIP not the cruise line that best fits my needs knowing that change is a constant and if I sailed that line before I need to do my research and NOT assume what was offered before on that line is the same they are offering today. This keeps my expectations of what I am purchasing in line with what I actually purchase when choosing a ship to sail. So far I've been on 4 lines. Mostly on Carnival just because they have meet our needs the majority of the time. I am more than willing to try any line that fits what we want out of our vacation. I know some people will say they like the comfort of sailing on the line that they know and don't like change. But like I said change is a constant whether you sail the same line or adventure out to others. If you stay on the same line and they change in ways that cause you distress, don't you think that maybe you might be happier searching out a new line that better fits your needs and wants today??? JS.

WoW!! This Quote ought to be Put on Cruise Critic's Home Page!! Great Job!!

Have A Great Day

Mike

mpdog42

You had me at you "were disappointed with your Vista cruise" . We were on the Vista this month and sure there were somethings done that I would have done differently but all in all it's a great ship, with all types of entertainment for everyone, excellent food, at a reasonable price. Seems like you would be one tough cookie to satisfy.

Good luck in your search for superiority.............See ya Felicia!

One of my favorite Carnival cruises was the Vista in Europe last year!!!

10 wonderful days! yes was port intensive and I didn't had the chance

to enjoy the ship. But I thank God that I was able to afford that trip with

my family.

I live in Miami so I will sail her before she leaves next year.:cool:

Isa

Edited by Isasprings

• 10 months later...
Thanks for dredging up yet another long-dead thread. Your intentions are crystal clear.

:confused:I don't have any intentions pal. I have just been reading old threads lately, it's fun to go back and see how things change and there's a lot to learn in "old" threads believe it or not.

I'm pretty certain you could add a dozen or more items to this list. Without looking at the list this comes to mind: Taste bar, TV channels, Disembarkation room service, Most desirable room service items are now fee based, Fee only room service evenings and early mornings, MDR service, Steward service, Carry on plastic soda/water bottles eliminated.

We cruise 3 or 4 times a year, usually on Carnival. We notice the cutbacks and we'll do a cruise on Royal, Princess or NCL for the same price. Then we return to Carnival. It fits our niche better than the others, but we will still complain about the devolving service and amenities.

LOL, the op is still primed and ready tho....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

At least they're still sailing Carnival, which is more than I can say for myself. Where do you think this topic will stand this time next year? Is Carnival going to pull ahead, maintain current levels, or fall into more disrepair and cuts? We can revive this thread again and see, and I hope my answer turns out to be wrong.

At least they're still sailing Carnival, which is more than I can say for myself. Where do you think this topic will stand this time next year? Is Carnival going to pull ahead, maintain current levels, or fall into more disrepair and cuts? We can revive this thread again and see, and I hope my answer turns out to be wrong.

Carnival is just fine and will be, your opinion differs from mine. I would be happy to make a wager with you.