Cutbacks...Anymore? Additions?

skiingj

It is all about what one looks for in a cruise. The the past several years, the cruise industry has been cutting back on many aspects of their cruises. One can argue that Carnival has led the way with this, and it has not hurt their business. Cutbacks which I expect Carnival to do in the near future would include:

1) Cabin Service: Will be done once at the start of the cruise. You can have the option (for a surcharge) of daily service

2) Main Dining Room: Surcharge for eating in the MDR, with a greater emphasis on the cafeteria still lido deck

3) Broadway Style Production: Surchage to see them

4) Rooms Service: Will be available 27/7, again for a fee.

5) After hours dining: Will expect to see Pizza and Hamburger Stand open after 12:00 AM, again for a surcharge.

Will this work, I expect the answer will be yes.

It will be a no for me.

And many others will join me ,I think:confused:

I have a totally different point of view.

I guess we will see who has better insight.

I see that it's going to be a challenge for Carnival to compete with the extraordinary new fleet of rcl ships.With the most innovative apparatus and theme cruise ships.

That i think will motivate Carnival to continue to improve on their food venues and service and entertainment. To provide a cruise experience that will be able meet their competition on a more level playing field.

I also believe this is attainable.

Their direct competition is rcl .

And our family have cruised on both. In fact this year i have two vacations booked one with Carnivale and one with RCL.

I also have to add that Carnival has stepped it up as of lately with their food and service. That's what i have observed. Happy cruising everyone.:D

I would take the bet that none of these will happen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agreed. It would be extremely damaging to Carnival to start charging for so much that's currently included. They have the reputation of being the affordable cruise line and I believe people would be ditching them in droves if those changes were implemented.

Agreed. It would be extremely damaging to Carnival to start charging for so much that's currently included. They have the reputation of being the affordable cruise line and I believe people would be ditching them in droves if those changes were implemented.

yes i doubt it also.:p

Take a Journey cruise, they have the midnight buffet with the sculptures.

I haven't seen those midnight buffets on Royal or Celebrity either.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

NCL still has them. I rem one was like a chocolate buffet

NCL still has them. I rem one was like a chocolate buffet

They did away with that YEARS ago, and trust me, the NCL cruiser is better off. The chocolate offerings were crap. All it it was jam up the dining rooms because half the buffet was closed down to hold the "event."

They did away with that YEARS ago, and trust me, the NCL cruiser is better off. The chocolate offerings were crap. All it it was jam up the dining rooms because half the buffet was closed down to hold the "event."

Did they? Lol they subtract stuff and I don't remember missing them until someone mentions it.

It cuts totally across everything Carnival stands for and will never happen. Take it to the bank. Much more likely (and still doubtful for much of the list) for rccl or ncl to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It cuts totally across everything Carnival stands for and will never happen. Take it to the bank. Much more likely (and still doubtful for much of the list) for rccl or ncl to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with this somewhat. I think RCL is still bruised from the Quantum Dynamic Dining debacle to try this. It wasn't just bad reviews, as they had to scrap the program - which they had planned on all their ships. So, I don't think this theory wI'll happen.

It is all about what one looks for in a cruise. The the past several years, the cruise industry has been cutting back on many aspects of their cruises. One can argue that Carnival has led the way with this, and it has not hurt their business. Cutbacks which I expect Carnival to do in the near future would include:

1) Cabin Service: Will be done once at the start of the cruise. You can have the option (for a surcharge) of daily service

2) Main Dining Room: Surcharge for eating in the MDR, with a greater emphasis on the cafeteria still lido deck

3) Broadway Style Production: Surchage to see them

4) Rooms Service: Will be available 27/7, again for a fee.

5) After hours dining: Will expect to see Pizza and Hamburger Stand open after 12:00 AM, again for a surcharge.

Will this work, I expect the answer will be yes.

NO! Will not happen...

Cruise lines do not just compete with other cruise lines. They compete with all inclusive land based resorts. Most first time cruisers are very worried about seasickness, boredom, and loss of control vs. a land based vacation. Has to be a reason to try the cruise.

I have a totally different point of view.

I guess we will see who has better insight.

I see that it's going to be a challenge for Carnival to compete with the extraordinary new fleet of rcl ships.With the most innovative apparatus and theme cruise ships.

That i think will motivate Carnival to continue to improve on their food venues and service and entertainment. To provide a cruise experience that will be able meet their competition on a more level playing field.

I also believe this is attainable.

Their direct competition is rcl .

And our family have cruised on both. In fact this year i have two vacations booked one with Carnivale and one with RCL.

I also have to add that Carnival has stepped it up as of lately with their food and service. That's what i have observed. Happy cruising everyone.:D

The Oasis came out in late 2009 with the Allure setting sail late 2010. Carnival is and has been competing with Royal's Behemoth of the Seas line for quite some time now - and holding their own.

Oasis class is a whole other game that Carnival is not playing. Carnival has nothing like an Oasis class where the ship is more the destination. Oasis class ships have such a WOW factor when on-board. The Breeze and Vista are nice and you feel as if you really are cruising when the ocean is visible from most venues. The Oasis class lacks this feel but boy are they impressive and well worth a try. Carnival needs to step up there game in order to compete with Royal in many ways. Bigger isn't always better but if you've been on an Oasis class you likely were very impressed.

Oasis class ships have such a WOW factor when on-board.

For that matter, so does the Freedom class. I will try Oasis one day, especially since she sails out of my favorite port and the prices are affordable now just to give it a try and see what all the hype is about but the absence of feeling like Im at sea is not something Im really looking forward to.

The Oasis class is just amazing. For years I said I would never like or sailan Oasis class, just too big. My wifeand I sailed Allure last year, Harmony this year and have Symphony booked nextyear. It really is amazing. Yes I miss the sea but after a couple dozen Caribbeancruises its nice having the ship as the destination. The suites are just killer, Carnival can’tcompete at all in that area. Not that Icould afford most suites on an Oasis class. We got a great deal on a jr. suite and the Costal Kitchen was a niceperk of being in a suite. It’s alsoamazing how Royal handles crowds around the ship. They really do it well. The buffet design is so much better withsquare islands instead of the traditional buffet line Carnival uses for food. Try an Oasis class, you will enjoy, but Iwill always prefer smaller class ships for most cruises.

We have been with RCI for a long time and we were not fans of the trend to more inward focused ships. We stayed with them but we really do not like the feel of the Oasis. It is like being in the lobby of a nice hotel as opposed to a cruise ship. It is very nice but it is not what a cruise should be for us. We went on Carnival Sunshine and we liked the ship. Now that we are looking more at Carnival, we really like the design of the Magic (and sisters) with the outside promenade. Right now we have Liberty of the Seas, Majesty of the Seas, and Carnival Liberty booked. Our next booking will probably be Carnival Magic. I would not say we will not go with RCI again, but we prefer the direction that Carnival is going. We hope they do not try to compete gimmick wise with RCI. We hope they concentrate on the seagoing experience and the food, service, and entertainment. Leave the bumper cars to the county fair. Not Oasis, I know, but one of the new "Innovations" from RCI.

I do see a future trend toward a more trimmed down "base fare" experience and more paid options. I believe the trend will be toward add on "packages" like MSC is doing. Suites and premium cabins will come with extras, but due to the limited number of those they will sell upgrade packages for regular cabins. I hate to say it, but some of the things that are now in the base fare will move to those packages. We have watched things change over our 24 years of sailing and cutbacks are nothing new. The issue now is the ever increasing supply of cabins that need to be filled and the need to get people in them affordably. Things that have been considered to be at the core of cruising are now being looked at for reductions. We will still cruise because we still think it is the best deal out there though.

Oasis class is a whole other game that Carnival is not playing. Carnival has nothing like an Oasis class where the ship is more the destination. Oasis class ships have such a WOW factor when on-board. The Breeze and Vista are nice and you feel as if you really are cruising when the ocean is visible from most venues. The Oasis class lacks this feel but boy are they impressive and well worth a try. Carnival needs to step up there game in order to compete with Royal in many ways. Bigger isn't always better but if you've been on an Oasis class you likely were very impressed.

i'll let you know, i have booked the Allure of the seas. We are really excited about this cruise ship heard good things.:p

Cruise lines do not just compete with other cruise lines. They compete with all inclusive land based resorts. Most first time cruisers are very worried about seasickness, boredom, and loss of control vs. a land based vacation. Has to be a reason to try the cruise.

Why do you say they don't compete with each together?:confused: Sure they do.

The Oasis class is just amazing. For years I said I would never like or sailan Oasis class, just too big. My wifeand I sailed Allure last year, Harmony this year and have Symphony booked nextyear. It really is amazing. Yes I miss the sea but after a couple dozen Caribbeancruises its nice having the ship as the destination. The suites are just killer, Carnival can’tcompete at all in that area. Not that Icould afford most suites on an Oasis class. We got a great deal on a jr. suite and the Costal Kitchen was a niceperk of being in a suite. It’s alsoamazing how Royal handles crowds around the ship. They really do it well. The buffet design is so much better withsquare islands instead of the traditional buffet line Carnival uses for food. Try an Oasis class, you will enjoy, but Iwill always prefer smaller class ships for most cruises.

So I think you think Royal is amazing....right? It's starting to come thru loud and clear. For the record, I can think of many drawbacks to the Oasis class.....and cutbacks. Not sure what your post has to do with the subject matter tho????

Sent from my iPad using Forums