Cutbacks...Anymore? Additions?

skiingj

I have never been to a land based hotel, where mattresses are being dragged down hallways and swapped around. That's inefficient, cheap, and embarassing. I can just see it, having a wonderful first night at the Hampton Inn. The 2nd night, it's as hard as a rock. Guest Service, "We swapped your old mattress with room 215, because they didn't like this mattress either. We'll swap it out with room 308 tomorrow."

The crew have enough responsibilities, than having to endure this every 4/5 days. If the crew were coming in to nail new plywood on you and your neighbor's balcony every few days, would you praise the customer service, or view the cruise line as stupid cheap?

That's my point, NO hotel is going to do that for a guest. But the fact that stewards on a cruise ship will swap out a mattress to try to please the passenger is, as I said, testament to how far they'll go to make people happy. You listed the shuffling of mattresses as a cutback. I see it as a team of service providers going to great lengths to make you, and others, happy. Because they're well within their rights to say, sorry but tough luck. They are what they are, can't please everyone.

Your plywood on the balcony comparison isn't even a comparison, so I won't even go there.

That's my point, NO hotel is going to do that for a guest. But the fact that stewards on a cruise ship will swap out a mattress to try to please the passenger is, as I said, testament to how far they'll go to make people happy. You listed the shuffling of mattresses as a cutback. I see it as a team of service providers going to great lengths to make you, and others, happy. Because they're well within their rights to say, sorry but tough luck. They are what they are, can't please everyone.

Your plywood on the balcony comparison isn't even a comparison, so I won't even go there.

A hotel wouldn't play the Laurel and Hardy mattress game. Hotel's would just move you into a new room. On the ship that's not easy to do, hence they HAVE to shuffle mattresses. Both the ship and hotel would accommodate the guest. Don't see much of a difference here just different logistics. In my extensive travel experience each pleases the guest.

Now how the hotel and cruise staff get paid is another thread. A tip on a cruise should really be called a salary..........

And I disagree with you.

If you have only been on one cruise you really can't make an informed opinion about the cutbacks, as you've never experienced them yourself.

Many people here have cruised for years, they know there have been a lot of cutbacks since they first began cruising.

My husband and I took our first cruise in January 2001, and our last one in January 2017 and we too have experienced many of the cutbacks on our Carnival cruises. And the quality of the food is definitely one of the biggest cutbacks. I can name two cutbacks off the top of my head, the lobster tails are definitely smaller than they used to be, and no longer offering smoked salmon on the room service breakfast menu. There are others pertaining to the food as well, in the dining rooms and at the buffet as well. And cutbacks in other areas like less staff in the dining rooms meaning the servers have more tables to take care of than they used to so service does suffer, less room stewards so they now have more rooms to clean daily than they used to, no more gold card returning cruiser party, no more orchestra for the evening shows, less singers and dancers than they used to have for the shows, video instead of real props for the shows, the lack of tablecloths in the dining room, and on and on and on. For those of us who have been cruising for many years, we definitely have seen the cutbacks for ourselves.

Holy. Things change, times change. It's time to move on and let go.

I actually didn't list the shuffling of mattresses as a cutback, I called the whole situation an integrity issue. The failure to replace mattresses, years after their prime, of course that's a cutback. That's beyond cheap, and puts both passengers and crew in an unfair situation.

Honestly, if you had to choose between a Springhill by Marriott, with 100% newish comfy beds, and a Hampton Inn, with 50% warn out beds, you would view the Hampton as the superior option, since the Hampton employees are continuously kicking the problem across the hall?

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

I actually didn't list the shuffling of mattresses as a cutback, I called the whole situation an integrity issue. The failure to replace mattresses, years after their prime, of course that's a cutback. That's beyond cheap, and puts both passengers and crew in an unfair situation.

Honestly, if you had to choose between a Springhill by Marriott, with 100% newish comfy beds, and a Hampton Inn, with 50% warn out beds, you would view the Hampton as the superior option, since the Hampton employees are continuously kicking the problem across the hall?

What makes you think they do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I saw it first hand on Carnival Elation, October 2015. I don't assume that this is happening on every ship, but it is my subjective view that this is their throwaway Jacksonville Bahamas ship, and don't really care.

Ok, I will ask again. What is it you saw?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't mind the cutbacks for "things" so much as the cutbacks on service. I've cruised since 1996 and there's a huge difference in the service on cruise ships from then to now.

I don't mind no chocolates or the extravagant waste of a midnight buffet being gone. I don't even mind the cut of a live calypso BAND (not 2 people), though that was fun back in the day.

What I do mind is that servers almost have to run to get their job done even at a minimal level. Getting bar service in the dining room is like passing a Congressional bill. I do mind the stewards having so many rooms that they appear completely worn out and having to choose between clean towels in the morning or clean towels in the evening. It's vacation and because it's very likely I'm in a pool or on a beach that day, I usually shower twice a day, as does the rest of my clan. Being asked which I would prefer, morning or evening service, is intended to put the guest on the spot. They do throw in that you can still get both, but it's very uncomfortable and I hate it. I don't like having to ask for ice but that small thing cuts into the small housekeeping staff's time, which is, again, placing the onus on the customer to ask for service. And to be frank, the staff is beginning to actually show some resentment if you ask for things that used to be "normal". Not all of them, but it's happened.

I don't like that GS is often down to two people at busy times and there's often a long line for others. I'm platinum, but I've seen people wait for almost an hour. It's crazy. Once upon a time, there was almost always 4 people manning GS's and the line moved quickly and smoothly.

I love cruising. I adore the staff. BUT, they need to make some changes because service should never, ever be a cut, IMO.

I don't mind the cutbacks for "things" so much as the cutbacks on service. I've cruised since 1996 and there's a huge difference in the service on cruise ships from then to now.

I don't mind no chocolates or the extravagant waste of a midnight buffet being gone. I don't even mind the cut of a live calypso BAND (not 2 people), though that was fun back in the day.

What I do mind is that servers almost have to run to get their job done even at a minimal level. Getting bar service in the dining room is like passing a Congressional bill. I do mind the stewards having so many rooms that they appear completely worn out and having to choose between clean towels in the morning or clean towels in the evening. It's vacation and because it's very likely I'm in a pool or on a beach that day, I usually shower twice a day, as does the rest of my clan. Being asked which I would prefer, morning or evening service, is intended to put the guest on the spot. They do throw in that you can still get both, but it's very uncomfortable and I hate it. I don't like having to ask for ice but that small thing cuts into the small housekeeping staff's time, which is, again, placing the onus on the customer to ask for service. And to be frank, the staff is beginning to actually show some resentment if you ask for things that used to be "normal". Not all of them, but it's happened.

I don't like that GS is often down to two people at busy times and there's often a long line for others. I'm platinum, but I've seen people wait for almost an hour. It's crazy. Once upon a time, there was almost always 4 people manning GS's and the line moved quickly and smoothly.

I love cruising. I adore the staff. BUT, they need to make some changes because service should never, ever be a cut, IMO.

I agree with you on your post, especially these two statements.

I can understand being upset about staffing cutbacks. It isn't always the result of cutting back on staff, but also retention - people leaving contract early. They may have some ships that handle retention better than others. But I would advise noting unreasonable shortages to notes to Carnival, as staff shortages might indicate bad management at a lower level.

Personally I haven't had a steward ask if I prefer morning or evening. I also haven't used guest services, so I can't attest to these staffing shortages. Not saying they didn't happen, but maybe I lucked out and continue to luck out.

the mistral wind - skim thru this thread, some cutbacks are listed here. I agree Guys is great but the Mexican for us is terrible. We live in CA now and find it hard to get good Mexican back east, never-mind on a cruise ship. The Indian food is always great on Carnival and I think they have the best pizza and steakhouse at sea. Italian - Carnivals Cucina is very good for family style and Royals Jamies is excellent.

I know i have been to calif. and texas who have great mexican food. But for us floridians the mexican cantina is just fine. Tex mex is very good had the best fajitas in Texas . What i am trying to say is they have come along way and have a great line up of food venues with late night additions which we like.

Would love to hear about additions to the product over the last few years. This is a list of Carnival cutbacks. I have a terrible memory so I may have missed a few.

• Picture of Ship
  • Fruit Juice, if the stains were such a big deal why couldn’t they just remove the colouring
  • Shrimp Gate
  • Lobster on shorter cruises
  • Loyalty Program reductions
  • Captains/Farewell Party & VIFP Gold lost past guest party.
  • Food; Quality, Steak & Chicken Sandwiches on Lido, portion size in MDR. Burgers got replaced with Guys which I do love but miss the options from the grill.
  • Room service food that you now have to pay for, lost some free items.
  • Table Clothes
  • FTTF in same boarding group as Platinum and Diamond in some ports
  • Hard alcohol drink sizes have been considerably reduced in size
  • Room steward service is great but they adjusted their schedule to not be around as much. Miss the interaction.
  • Pillow mints
  • Bacon police
  • Vista didn’t have all the great interactive TV features that Breeze had to order food, look at menus and more…
  • Guest responsible for printing luggage & boarding documents.
  • Pizza got better but lost calzone, garlic bread and caesar salad.
  • Midnight buffet; it was spun that it was a waste of food. So Carnival wasted food for decades and couldn’t alter it to meet the demand.
  • Attempt to remove TA’s & incentives from the booking process

What I wish they would cut; the sale and activity announcements, picture people, spam in the cabins. Don’t remember one announcement selling stuff on Royal but if they do make those announcements its not all day long. Some CDs go on and on and on about crap.

no more caesar salad. that will disappoint me and no more calzone. this is a disappointment.

IMHO I feel that every line has its downside. I could find something wrong with every one if I was asked, but I won't complain because a cruise is what you make it. I stick with Carnival because of the value, but I have sailed other lines and will continue to do so.

We are the same.. we had 5 Carnival cruises and thought we would "try" NCL for our 6th cruise.. twice the price with 3 times the disappointment.. So for our 7th cruise we are back with Carnival and with Carnival we will stay.. For the value, its definitely not worth trying any of the other lines.

I know i have been to calif. and texas who have great mexican food. But for us floridians the mexican cantina is just fine. Tex mex is very good had the best fajitas in Texas . What i am trying to say is they have come along way and have a great line up of food venues with late night additions which we like.

I somehow missed the Mexican food conversation between alot of the other arguments. The few times I have been to California I would have to admit that Mexican Food in California is incredible compared to anything I can get on the East Coast. Although I like Camacho's Fried Tacos alot, I imagine there are even better hidden gem places.

I am not sure if Blue Iguana doesn't appeal as much to someone with California taste because Florida has less Mexican Culture present than California (perhaps Princess, a company headquartered on the West Coast, has a better handle on Mexican Cuisine), or if they are trying to appeal to a clientel that would prefer more generic Mexican Food. Sort of like that movie Big Night, where the generic Italian Restaurant was successfull, while the authentic was misunderstood, and languished.

no more caesar salad. that will disappoint me and no more calzone. this is a disappointment.

• Picture of Ship (you can buy one)
  • Fruit Juice, if the stains were such a big deal why couldn’t they just remove the colouring
  • Shrimp Gate (on our last cruise we got shrimp)
  • Food; Quality, Steak & Chicken Sandwiches on Lido, portion size in MDR. Burgers got replaced with Guys which I do love but miss the options from the grill.
  • Table Clothes (strictly esthetics only - who needs them??)
  • FTTF in same boarding group as Platinum and Diamond in some ports (and wheelchairs.. but I shouldn't talk.. I'm in a wheelchair)
  • Hard alcohol drink sizes have been considerably reduced in size (drink soda)
  • Room steward service is great but they adjusted their schedule to not be around as much. Miss the interaction. (they have a job to do, they aren't there to entertain you, thats the job of the entertainment crew)
  • Pillow mints (really?? you ATE those?)
  • Bacon police (conserve on waste.. why not, meat is expensive)
  • Vista didn’t have all the great interactive TV features that Breeze had to order food, look at menus and more…
  • Guest responsible for printing luggage & boarding documents (??? I'm responsible for printing all my docs on every cruise.. aren't we all??)
  • Midnight buffet; it was spun that it was a waste of food. So Carnival wasted food for decades and couldn’t alter it to meet the demand.

Just returned from Mexico Riviera cruise on Miracle. I think Carnival has reached point of diminishing returns with their wait staff in MDR. They have these men and women handling too many tables at dinner. When we would see our waiter he seemed to be in middle of a marathon race, literally out of breath from hustling between tables. Every meal we felt "rushed" during the serving process. Several nights we (wife and table mates) were in middle of or just beginning appetizers when the main course would arrive at table. We are Platinum with Carnival but have cruised on Princess the past 8 years, returning to Carnival after quite a few years the changes mentioned are noticed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just returned from Mexico Riviera cruise on Miracle. I think Carnival has reached point of diminishing returns with their wait staff in MDR. They have these men and women handling too many tables at dinner. When we would see our waiter he seemed to be in middle of a marathon race, literally out of breath from hustling between tables. Every meal we felt "rushed" during the serving process. Several nights we (wife and table mates) were in middle of or just beginning appetizers when the main course would arrive at table. We are Platinum with Carnival but have cruised on Princess the past 8 years, returning to Carnival after quite a few years the changes mentioned are noticed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Omg, the travesty. You're complaining your dishes were arriving too close together and the next person is complaining the dishes are arriving too far apart and meals are taking too long. Just a perfect example of it being impossible to please everyone. If this is the worst thing you encountered, I'd consider it a great cruise vacation. #firstworldproblems

I somehow missed the Mexican food conversation between alot of the other arguments. The few times I have been to California I would have to admit that Mexican Food in California is incredible compared to anything I can get on the East Coast. Although I like Camacho's Fried Tacos alot, I imagine there are even better hidden gem places.

I am not sure if Blue Iguana doesn't appeal as much to someone with California taste because Florida has less Mexican Culture present than California (perhaps Princess, a company headquartered on the West Coast, has a better handle on Mexican Cuisine), or if they are trying to appeal to a clientel that would prefer more generic Mexican Food. Sort of like that movie Big Night, where the generic Italian Restaurant was successfull, while the authentic was misunderstood, and languished.

You've said it much more eloquently than i could have . I totally agree. But i think they have tried to have a good assortment of food venues that would please most people.

You've said it much more eloquently than i could have . I totally agree. But i think they have tried to have a good assortment of food venues that would please most people.

Oh yes they do have venues that I do like alot. I won't disagree with you on that. Wishing there were more Ji Ji's though.

Something I should have added to my description would be that there has been a suggested the differences between bread production in the East and West coast is the climate and consistency of water sourced. I have heard it explained that this is the reason the bagels, pizza and sandwich breads are vastly different between the more arid West Coast and the more temperate East. Perhaps the arid climate is key in producing higher quality tortillas.

Carnival addresses it's pizza very well in that they use flour and ovens that come from Italy.

• Better TV's

• Carnival's mattresses are GREAT! Lots better than '87.

I didn't think of it til I saw this, but when I cruised the first few times, the TV was a waste of time- no shows, no movies that I recall, the only thing we used it for was noise and to watch the Lido deck party!

Beds- now there's a VAST improvement! I love the Carnival mattresses. I have a very bad back and often can't sleep in hotels, but I have no issue on a cruise. And I remember very well sleeping on the floor of my first cruise because I was almost crippled by the bed!

Oh yes they do have venues that I do like alot. I won't disagree with you on that. Wishing there were more Ji Ji's though.

Something I should have added to my description would be that there has been a suggested the differences between bread production in the East and West coast is the climate and consistency of water sourced. I have heard it explained that this is the reason the bagels, pizza and sandwich breads are vastly different between the more arid West Coast and the more temperate East. Perhaps the arid climate is key in producing higher quality tortillas.

Carnival addresses it's pizza very well in that they use flour and ovens that come from Italy.

I know my husband was really impressed with carnival pizza because he told the guy he wasn't fan of the thin crust and he doubled the crust and made him a thick crust pizza the whole cruise. Now that is good service and we appreciated him doing this above and beyond service.

• Picture of Ship (you can buy one)
  • Shrimp Gate (on our last cruise we got shrimp)
  • Table Clothes (strictly esthetics only - who needs them??)
  • FTTF in same boarding group as Platinum and Diamond in some ports (and wheelchairs.. but I shouldn't talk.. I'm in a wheelchair)
  • Hard alcohol drink sizes have been considerably reduced in size (drink soda)
  • Room steward service is great but they adjusted their schedule to not be around as much. Miss the interaction. (they have a job to do, they aren't there to entertain you, thats the job of the entertainment crew)
  • Pillow mints (really?? you ATE those?)
  • Bacon police (conserve on waste.. why not, meat is expensive)
  • Guest responsible for printing luggage & boarding documents (??? I'm responsible for printing all my docs on every cruise.. aren't we all??)

I do miss the midnight buffet. We ate our share lol And i did eat the chocolates in my pillow:*:*

I know my husband was really impressed with carnival pizza because he told the guy he wasn't fan of the thin crust and he doubled the crust and made him a thick crust pizza the whole cruise. Now that is good service and we appreciated him doing this above and beyond service.

that was very nice! I'm going to have to ask for this on my next cruise!