Cutbacks...Anymore? Additions?

skiingj

You really dont get it do you? It has nothing to do with safe spaces. It has everything to do with a certain few coming here day in and day out with no other purpose but to put down the cruise line and those who sail on it. Its beyond old at this point and its always the same two or three clowns doing it. I read plenty of negative reviews from people that dont have an agenda so you can go pound sand.

Oh well, another douchebag for the ignore list. Bye bye now.

You've contradicted yourself. First you claim that you only have beef with those that come day in and day out. Despite claiming that I don't see it, my one post has put me on the naughty list too. Which is it?

Now the name calling tells all. You can disrespect me all you want, but you can't do so without showing a lack of respect for yourself. Our respect for others always mirrors our respect for self. A cruise line is never worth this.

We have cruised once a year for the last five years and have our 2018 cruise booked. We have seen the cruise prices consistently go up year after year. Not by much and certainly not enough for us to stop cruising with Carnival. We have also seen cutbacks, the kids noticed when they quit leaving chocolates during the turn down service in the evenings, the BIG one I noticed was the skeleton crew at dinner in the MDR. Our waitstaff at dinner was stretched so thin that the service really suffered. I don't know if they were just short handed for that cruise or that is the new norm but it was noticeable and disappointing.

We still really enjoy our Carnival cruises and feel like we get a great value for our vacation dollars. The kids managed just fine without the nightly chocolates and we learned after a couple of days to make sure we asked for everything we needed at the beginning of the meal because otherwise we might not get it. Those things don't make or break our cruises and I honestly couldn't even tell you of any other cutbacks.

You really dont get it do you? It has nothing to do with safe spaces. It has everything to do with a certain few coming here day in and day out with no other purpose but to put down the cruise line and those who sail on it. Its beyond old at this point and its always the same two or three clowns doing it. I read plenty of negative reviews from people that dont have an agenda so you can go pound sand.

Oh well, another douchebag for the ignore list. Bye bye now.

Am I on your ignore list? Hope not, I try my best to share only positively negative review of my poor experiences on Carnival. I don't try to put down people who sail on Carnival, but rather steer them into the right direction....any cruise line that is not Carnival. Even NCL is better now.:D

Its so much more pleasant around here when the trolls are blocked :) Its really no wonder this place is the laughing stock of cruise related social media. They literally let the inmates run the asylum here.

Now if people will just stop quoting them, all will be right in the world today.

Am I on your ignore list? Hope not, I try my best to share only positively negative review of my poor experiences on Carnival. I don't try to put down people who sail on Carnival, but rather steer them into the right direction....any cruise line that is not Carnival. Even NCL is better now.:D

I think people forget that this is a cruise critic forum and not cruise line X enthusiasts forum. I personally find the people who dislike a certain line and uber-cheerleaders to be both helpful and annoying at times depending on lots of issues.

Its so much more pleasant around here when the trolls are blocked :) Its really no wonder this place is the laughing stock of cruise related social media. They literally let the inmates run the asylum here.

Now if people will just stop quoting them, all will be right in the world today.

You do realize that you are just as negative as the "trolls" that you love to hate so much. I can't remember the last post of yours where your comment actually added anything to the thread.

I think people forget that this is a cruise critic forum and not cruise line X enthusiasts forum. I personally find the people who dislike a certain line and uber-cheerleaders to be both helpful and annoying at times depending on lots of issues.

Big difference between people giving their opinions of their experiences and bashing. The poster referenced has openly stated the agenda to turn as many people as humanly possible against Carnival.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have cruised once a year for the last five years and have our 2018 cruise booked. We have seen the cruise prices consistently go up year after year. Not by much and certainly not enough for us to stop cruising with Carnival. We have also seen cutbacks, the kids noticed when they quit leaving chocolates during the turn down service in the evenings, the BIG one I noticed was the skeleton crew at dinner in the MDR. Our waitstaff at dinner was stretched so thin that the service really suffered. I don't know if they were just short handed for that cruise or that is the new norm but it was noticeable and disappointing.

We still really enjoy our Carnival cruises and feel like we get a great value for our vacation dollars. The kids managed just fine without the nightly chocolates and we learned after a couple of days to make sure we asked for everything we needed at the beginning of the meal because otherwise we might not get it. Those things don't make or break our cruises and I honestly couldn't even tell you of any other cutbacks.

We've only cruised once (last year) and going on our second in about a year. So we cruised long after the chocolates were taken away, but if we had cruised back then, I'm certain I wouldn't have made a big deal out of it for years to come. If it's that important to anyone, bring your own chocolates.

Last year, we were served by our head waiter and a single assistant in the MDR. Is that the "skeletal crew" you speak of? Being our first cruise, we thought the two-person waitstaff was just the way it is. We had a different set of waiters/waitresses each night and they were on the ball the entire cruise. I'm not going to say they weren't overworked, because worked quite hard, but our service didn't suffer at all.

This is a cruise critic forum, yes, but this particular section of the forum is the Carnival section. Meant for both the positive and negative aspects of Carnival Cruise lines. What we're referring to here are the ones who openly say they do not cruise Carnival, but come to this section just to bash the line and anyone who cruises on it. That's the "trolls" we're talking about. Not people who actually spend money on Carnival and simply have a legitimate gripe.

I guess I'm the oddball here. I'd rather pay more and get a better higher end product and cruise less often. Rather than pay less and go more often. I like it to be special and feel pampered.

We could start an oddball club, then because I feel the same way!

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Moongal have you tried flying to an all inclusive resort? You will feel very special and pampered there. And if you and he sig other go to a couples only place like a Sandals, no kids to worry about either

I don't know why so many people think that the only alternative to Carnival or for that matter NCL or RCI is an all inclusive resort. So many times this gets thrown out at those who want more, or more of what mainstream cruising used to be.

For me, and probably many others, this is NOT an acceptable alternative for those who enjoy cruising. Apples and oranges.

There are ship based alternatives, but you have to be willing and able to pay more. That's what it really comes down to. If you are looking solely at price your choice is going to be limited at least somewhat.

We and many others are willing and able to do so and fortunately there are many options. We will be doing more cruises with Viking in the future where we get to feel special, get to be pampered and there are no children.

It's bottom line all around.

I don't know why so many people think that the only alternative to Carnival or for that matter NCL or RCI is an all inclusive resort. So many times this gets thrown out at those who want more, or more of what mainstream cruising used to be.

For me, and probably many others, this is NOT an acceptable alternative for those who enjoy cruising. Apples and oranges.

There are ship based alternatives, but you have to be willing and able to pay more. That's what it really comes down to. If you are looking solely at price your choice is going to be limited at least somewhat.

We and many others are willing and able to do so and fortunately there are many options. We will be doing more cruises with Viking in the future where we get to feel special, get to be pampered and there are no children.

It's bottom line all around.

I don't necessarily need to feel special, but higher end service is appreciated. We enjoy Celebrity, are going to try HAL next year, and eventually want to try Viking and Windstar.

I'm not against fun ships either, but Carnival just hit a "3 strikes and you're out" for us with their integrity.

#1. Our first cruise, the shopping seminar team pushed tanzenite in St. Maarten as an investment opportunity. 1 carat for $200, could easily be sold to jewelers in the US for $300, or so we were told... only to find one at Macy's for $100 retail, right after the cruise. I met a guy who dump a good chunk of his savings into this scam advice.

#2. The mattresses were beyond unacceptable on the Elation, 2 years ago. The crew were playing mattress roulette, to satisfy complaints. I was embarrassed for the crew, having to shuffle mattresses around the first couple of days, in and out of rooms.

#3. I had a number of problems on my 3rd cruise, but the cherry on top is Carnival refusing to refund me $650 of a canceled art purchase (3 days after disembarkation, where I had 40 days after delivery to do so). I've received a different story every time I've called in, and made several attempts to get a procedure in writing on how to settle. Now I have a BBB case, and will proceed with small claims if need be.

LOL, I guess (other than a couple I know) the only way we could possibly do that, would be if we knew who they were. I can see it now....add your blocked posters to your signature,,,,;)

I don't fly. I am too claustrophobic. The thought of being shut up in a plane with no way off is just too much for me. So that limits me pretty much to my home port of Galveston.

This is why I wish there were no cut backs. For me, I can't just go try another line. RC and Carnival I think (maybe also Disney??) are the only ones sailing out of Galveston.

Sounds like you are looking for a higher level of service. Fortunately and unfortunately these day good service is the most expensive item to provide and to ensure. Consistency and details usually come at a premium.

If Disney is close by, I'd give it a try. They still have an edge in service and they cater to adults very well. I much prefer RCI over CCL, however it is not because of their service level, nor their food.

CCL also have their own target market. But seems like you might not be part of it anymore.

I don't necessarily need to feel special, but higher end service is appreciated. We enjoy Celebrity, are going to try HAL next year, and eventually want to try Viking and Windstar.

I'm not against fun ships either, but Carnival just hit a "3 strikes and you're out" for us with their integrity.

#1. Our first cruise, the shopping seminar team pushed tanzenite in St. Maarten as an investment opportunity. 1 carat for $200, could easily be sold to jewelers in the US for $300, or so we were told... only to find one at Macy's for $100 retail, right after the cruise. I met a guy who dump a good chunk of his savings into this scam advice.

#2. The mattresses were beyond unacceptable on the Elation, 2 years ago. The crew were playing mattress roulette, to satisfy complaints. I was embarrassed for the crew, having to shuffle mattresses around the first couple of days, in and out of rooms.

#3. I had a number of problems on my 3rd cruise, but the cherry on top is Carnival refusing to refund me $650 of a canceled art purchase (3 days after disembarkation, where I had 40 days after delivery to do so). I've received a different story every time I've called in, and made several attempts to get a procedure in writing on how to settle. Now I have a BBB case, and will proceed with small claims if need be.

Park West is a notorious scam business. I never go to the shopping talk, another scam.

I've been a loyal cruiser with Carnival for 14 years and have around 14 cruises with them but the last couple years with all the cutbacks I've found myself trying other lines.

Last year we sailed the Vista in Europe and were disappointed. We've also sailed Allure and just of the Harmony. Although we are Platinum I find Royal has a better product overall. I just don't find Platinum giving me anything near what Royal gives its past guests and question if its really worth the few perks that you get with Platinum.

I've loved our Carnival cruises but all the cutbacks have forced me to reconsider lines. I also enjoy HAL but as many know that is a whole different experience and they still don't have walker races on lido. LOL

Anyone else turned off by the cutbacks? Anything new to Carnival that would bring me back? Thanks for you input!

After 45 Cruises with 315 days on Carnival I'm FINISHED with them despite what Jimbo says it is an INFERIOR product.

I have 120 total cruises

I have 17 cruises booked between Aug 2017 & Feb 2019 10 on RCCL, 4 on NCL, 2 on MSC 1 on Princess. NONE on Carnival

5-6 years ago 10 to 12 cruises would have been on Carnival

Park West is a notorious scam business. I never go to the shopping talk, another scam.

I agree, and honestly knew better. We actually purchased an original by the same artist at a gallery on land, for the same price as what we purchased on the ship, so cancelled 3 days after disembarkation (March 12th). The thing is, Park West followed through on their end of the cancelation policy, with a consistent proceedure. They transfered $1,750 to Carnival, and while Carnival has admitted as such, they're having a hard time letting that money go.

Story #1. Park West owes you the balance

Story #2. Our credit card company will issue you the remaining refund, in the form of a gift card, very soon.

Story #3. Your $1,100 chargeback voids our responsiblity. Reverse that, and accounting should send a refund in full.

I have made 3 attempts, both by e-mail and by phone, to get Story #3 in writing, both to confirm that's the story, and cement the procedure. Carnival is obviously more interested in taking a $650 bonus, and is ignoring contact.

It's never a good sign when Park West, the notorious scam business, ends up having the moral high ground...

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Uncomfortable beds are a possibility anywhere, whether it be a cruise line, hotels, whatever. Have you ever stayed in a land-based hotel that was willing to switch your bed out because you found it to be uncomfortable? While I understand how bad it could be to get stuck with an uncomfortable bed for a week or so, I think the fact that those stewards and their teams were willing to switch beds around is a testament to how far they'll go to please passengers.

After 45 Cruises with 315 days on Carnival I'm FINISHED with them despite what Jimbo says it is an INFERIOR product.

I have 120 total cruises

I have 17 cruises booked between Aug 2017 & Feb 2019 10 on RCCL, 4 on NCL, 2 on MSC 1 on Princess. NONE on Carnival

5-6 years ago 10 to 12 cruises would have been on Carnival

So at some point you don't even need to post in the Carnival section, right?

In regards to quality of food being a supposed "cutback," I disagree. Quality of food is relative. Admittedly, we've only been on one cruise (with our second coming in about a year). We found the quality of food to be great. The breakfast buffet on Lido was quite good, Guy's burgers were excellent, and we loved the sea day brunch and American Table menus. Sure, we didn't like everything on the menus, but what we had we thought tasted great. The food is one of the things we're looking forward to on our next one. Just because someone thinks it doesn't taste as good doesn't necessarily make it a cutback.

And I disagree with you.

If you have only been on one cruise you really can't make an informed opinion about the cutbacks, as you've never experienced them yourself.

Many people here have cruised for years, they know there have been a lot of cutbacks since they first began cruising.

My husband and I took our first cruise in January 2001, and our last one in January 2017 and we too have experienced many of the cutbacks on our Carnival cruises. And the quality of the food is definitely one of the biggest cutbacks. I can name two cutbacks off the top of my head, the lobster tails are definitely smaller than they used to be, and no longer offering smoked salmon on the room service breakfast menu. There are others pertaining to the food as well, in the dining rooms and at the buffet as well. And cutbacks in other areas like less staff in the dining rooms meaning the servers have more tables to take care of than they used to so service does suffer, less room stewards so they now have more rooms to clean daily than they used to, no more gold card returning cruiser party, no more orchestra for the evening shows, less singers and dancers than they used to have for the shows, video instead of real props for the shows, the lack of tablecloths in the dining room, and on and on and on. For those of us who have been cruising for many years, we definitely have seen the cutbacks for ourselves.

And I disagree with you.

If you have only been on one cruise you really can't make an informed opinion about the cutbacks, as you've never experienced them yourself.

Many people here have cruised for years, they know there have been a lot of cutbacks since they first began cruising.

My husband and I took our first cruise in January 2001, and our last one in January 2017 and we too have experienced many of the cutbacks on our Carnival cruises. And the quality of the food is definitely one of the biggest cutbacks. I can name two cutbacks off the top of my head, the lobster tails are definitely smaller than they used to be, and no longer offering smoked salmon on the room service breakfast menu. There are others pertaining to the food as well, in the dining rooms and at the buffet as well. And cutbacks in other areas like less staff in the dining rooms meaning the servers have more tables to take care of than they used to so service does suffer, less room stewards so they now have more rooms to clean daily than they used to, no more gold card returning cruiser party, no more orchestra for the evening shows, less singers and dancers than they used to have for the shows, video instead of real props for the shows, the lack of tablecloths in the dining room, and on and on and on. For those of us who have been cruising for many years, we definitely have seen the cutbacks for ourselves.

Where is the BRILLIANT button?

Uncomfortable beds are a possibility anywhere, whether it be a cruise line, hotels, whatever. Have you ever stayed in a land-based hotel that was willing to switch your bed out because you found it to be uncomfortable? While I understand how bad it could be to get stuck with an uncomfortable bed for a week or so, I think the fact that those stewards and their teams were willing to switch beds around is a testament to how far they'll go to please passengers.

So at some point you don't even need to post in the Carnival section, right?

I have never been to a land based hotel, where mattresses are being dragged down hallways and swapped around. That's inefficient, cheap, and embarassing. I can just see it, having a wonderful first night at the Hampton Inn. The 2nd night, it's as hard as a rock. Guest Service, "We swapped your old mattress with room 215, because they didn't like this mattress either. We'll swap it out with room 308 tomorrow."

The crew have enough responsibilities, than having to endure this every 4/5 days. If the crew were coming in to nail new plywood on you and your neighbor's balcony every few days, would you praise the customer service, or view the cruise line as stupid cheap?

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

I do hope on the larger new ships, 180,000 ton ones. They go back to the large spa like the one on the Dream ships. I recall original plans had the large spa, and it was shrunk down (Thellaso pool removed) when built. I guess that counts as a removal (cut back)- even though it cost more to use it.

Edited by CBuick

Cutbacks and a big quality decline makes people go elsewhere.

Curious to know what they have cut back on?

I have noticed that the food on carnival has become better and better every time i vacation with them.

I am a fan of rcl too. However with the venues such as Guys Burgers and the Mexican Cantina i found them equal to if not on some things superior to RCL.

That being said i really don't know what cut backs you are referring to as of lately.

I also know that they have added some real nice comedy shows with every cruise at least two comedians in the lounge appointed just for comedy.

I really am wondering what they lack of as of lately. I really have to give kudos to them for making such as a wonderful cruise experience at an affordable rate. Which i always seem to be able to land.

In the past carnival had a bad rap but now i think they really addressed the problems and have as they say redeemed themselves. I love the cruise experience our family had on carnival and i can't wait until our future cruise with them at the end of the year . I am also booked with rcl in a couple months and equally looking forward to our vacation. With rcl having the biggest ships a float and the ziplines and sky diving and the bumper cars carnival will definitely have the competition which i am sure they will meet with as many perks and special events that is economically feasible for them to turn a profit and also make them a contender.:D

the mistral wind - skim thru this thread, some cutbacks are listed here. I agree Guys is great but the Mexican for us is terrible. We live in CA now and find it hard to get good Mexican back east, never-mind on a cruise ship. The Indian food is always great on Carnival and I think they have the best pizza and steakhouse at sea. Italian - Carnivals Cucina is very good for family style and Royals Jamies is excellent.