Cutbacks...Anymore? Additions?

skiingj

You had me at you "were disappointed with your Vista cruise" . We were on the Vista this month and sure there were somethings done that I would have done differently but all in all it's a great ship, with all types of entertainment for everyone, excellent food, at a reasonable price. Seems like you would be one tough cookie to satisfy.

Good luck in your search for superiority.............See ya Felicia!

Of course, this is your opinion....we too were very "disappointed" with the Vista....worst ship we have ever been on...awful atrium all to fit in more passenger cabins....very plastic, awful décor....the only and I mean ONLY saving grace was our stupendous CD, Matt Mitchum....not even remotely interested in trying the new Horizon due to the cheapness and terrible design flaws on Vista (theatre with movable seats and vision obstructions everywhere, too small of a venue for the comedians....basically a very cheaply decorated ship to us).

So as you see, we all have our own opinions of what we consider 'good values' and 'great ships'!

Jimbo, you and I both know that there is never any "fact" in a havingfun post.

Nope. Just his same old tired, broken record anti Carnival BS that he spews around here on about a daily basis.

When you have "cutbacks" often times, and for many businesses, you also have an increase in costs. Carnival has an issue of slowly removing items, that are customary, and than increasing the workload of employees. Other words, they test the limits and stop at a breaking point. Than, after reducing employees, and creating long lines at choke points. Examples are guest services, and tenders. Also slow down luggage delivery. Now, you create an incentive to sell a product to get better service, called FTTF. Other words, create demand, to get people excited at buying a service, to receive free products.
FTTF was introduced back in 2012 before any of the recent cutbacks in crew. Probably before such cutbacks were ever even considered in the boardroom. They didn't knowingly design the system to first create bottlenecks and slower service just so they could introduce a paid method of bypassing the bottlenecks and slower service. Many theme parks now offer some kind of VIP pass that allows park-goers to skip long lines. They didn't create the long lines first with a plan to offer a new line-skipping service later. They just saw a way to offer an additional service that they knew people would pay to take advantage of. Just like Carnival did with FTTF. It's called business.

I'll give you credit, though, because that was a much more elaborate way of whining about FTTF. Normally people just say, "It's not worth it, you're stupid for buying it!" So you get points for effort.

Speaking of FTTF, that program has annoyed me since they rolled it out. There was a lady on our Vista cruise who was leading her group from the security area to the front of the line telling them you don't have to wait in line. Um, yes you do. It's just a different line. The Carnival employee at the front of the line kindly directed them back to end of the line where everyone else was waiting to be directed to the appropriate line. FTTF does not mean line jumping.

We turned platinum on our last Carnival cruise in April. Our priority boarding tag had FTTF on it. It appears that people who earned priority boarding by getting to Platinum and above and people who pay for priority boarding are all the same to Carnival. I don't know how much more expensive it is for them to just have the luggage tag say priority without the FTTF if you haven't paid for priority boarding but are still priority.

Some lady ushering FTTF passengers to the front of the FTTF line has nothing to do with the service as a whole. That was someone who wasn't familiar with the process. So I don't see why you'd be annoyed with it because of her. Yes, FTTF passengers get some of the same perks as diamond/platinum. I know there are diamond/platinums who don't like this because they think they should get the perks, not others, because they earned them with their number of cruises. I look at it like this...it's not like FTTF passengers are getting those same perks for free. Diamond/platinum paid for (earned) the perks by sheer volume of cruises. Others, who don't have that volume of cruises under their belt, pay for some of the perks in a different way...by literally paying for them.

Thank you!

Unless something has changed at Long Beach for years they have grouped FTTF and VIP in one large crowd and called them to board together. Several times as a VIP I couldn't even get into the VIP lounge and was told to wait outside. On one occasion I was even told to go over to the QM for check-in.

I don't disagree with your basic point. My annoyance is not just with her. That is just one example. The additional hassle of checking in because there are so many more people now in the same pool is the underlying reason for my annoyance. Behavior like that just proves my point. Anyway you look at it, everyone is waiting longer whether it's priority boarding or FTTF because of the extra volume of people that would not normally be there. It's just a bad idea. Period.

Some lady ushering FTTF passengers to the front of the FTTF line has nothing to do with the service as a whole. That was someone who wasn't familiar with the process. So I don't see why you'd be annoyed with it because of her. Yes, FTTF passengers get some of the same perks as diamond/platinum. I know there are diamond/platinums who don't like this because they think they should get the perks, not others, because they earned them with their number of cruises. I look at it like this...it's not like FTTF passengers are getting those same perks for free. Diamond/platinum paid for (earned) the perks by sheer volume of cruises. Others, who don't have that volume of cruises under their belt, pay for some of the perks in a different way...by literally paying for them.

Of course, because your experience is everyone else's.:rolleyes:

Conversely, the same can be said of your experience not being the same as everyone else's.

The port of Long Beach is ill equipped to handle the varying "priority" passengers much less the masses.

It is handled differently (and according to structure) in just about every other port. I say that with the qualification that, while I haven't sailed from every single one of them, I have sailed from most of them and speak from my own experience (which isn't yours or anyone else's and I don't profess it to be).

When you've done the same (if you haven't) you can speak with a modicom of authority.

Please, I know someone is going to say, than why are they sailing full all the time. Well, people just don't always know they can get a better product for nearly the same amount of money. Eventually, they notice.

Only YOU do ... and everybody else is totally ignorant of how to make an informed consumer choice.

Unless something has changed at Long Beach for years they have grouped FTTF and VIP in one large crowd and called them to board together. Several times as a VIP I couldn't even get into the VIP lounge and was told to wait outside. On one occasion I was even told to go over to the QM for check-in.

Long Beach is a unique homeport. Sailed from there twice and that was not our experience. That said, the way it works is weddings first, the diamonds, then plats, then fttf. In the vast amount of home ports they are in separate areas seating wise as well, which makes the separate boarding much easier to accomplish.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't disagree with your basic point. My annoyance is not just with her. That is just one example. The additional hassle of checking in because there are so many more people now in the same pool is the underlying reason for my annoyance. Behavior like that just proves my point. Anyway you look at it, everyone is waiting longer whether it's priority boarding or FTTF because of the extra volume of people that would not normally be there. It's just a bad idea. Period.

They would argue just the opposite. Not even sure what the cost is but that amount per cabin they get for basically providing a tiny amount of effort. Pretty sure the person who thought of it got a raise. I am a diamond, but the fttf additions did not really bother us.

Curious as to what the extra hassle of checking in is tho

Edited by jimbo5544

They would argue just the opposite. Not even sure what the cost is but that amount per cabin they get for basically providing a tiny amount of effort. Pretty sure the person who thought of it got a raise. I am a diamond, but the fttf additions did not really bother us.

There's been more than one kerfuffle reported between over zealous FTTFers and legitimate Plat and Diamond villagers, during boarding. LOL

They can correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I gathered, they're saying FTTF passengers create longer priority lines without having actually earned it like platinum/diamond. Basically, FTTF muddies the waters for priority passengers. To that I say, FTTF passengers aren't getting the perks for free, they have to pay for it. Why beat up the people who buy it? They're just taking advantage of a service that's offered to them. Carnival saw a business opportunity and ran with it. Like so many others out there.

You just became platinum in April. You've experienced one check-in as platinum. Isn't it a little too early to feel like FTTF is a nuisance that has inconvenienced you? Or have you actually purchased FTTF in the past and experienced the priority check-in lines before?

Long Beach has always been a difficult embarkation / debarkation port for Carnival especially with larger ships. It has had the lowest survey rating of all Carnival ports. Fortunately they are taking over the rest of the dome they don't use now and I believe a construction project is planned as well.

There's been more than one kerfuffle reported between over zealous FTTFers and legitimate Plat and Diamond villagers, during boarding. LOL

Kefir foe i9s going to be my word for the day....... I think dated her in high school....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It looks like Apple wants you to choose a new word of the day.

LOL, sure does.....Have to love Apple auto correct. I better kick my own review capabilities into a higher gear for the rest of the day as well

Moongal have you tried flying to an all inclusive resort? You will feel very special and pampered there. And if you and he sig other go to a couples only place like a Sandals, no kids to worry about either

Moongal have you tried flying to an all inclusive resort? You will feel very special and pampered there. And if you and he sig other go to a couples only place like a Sandals, no kids to worry about either

I don't fly. I am too claustrophobic. The thought of being shut up in a plane with no way off is just too much for me. So that limits me pretty much to my home port of Galveston.

This is why I wish there were no cut backs. For me, I can't just go try another line. RC and Carnival I think (maybe also Disney??) are the only ones sailing out of Galveston.

Try driving to Houston and staying at the Houstonian hotel. It's awesome. You will feel special. But you pay for things as you go. The health club is the best a note can offer. Walking through the garden paths are serene. Their spa is second to none. Or try some of the nice resorts in Scottsdale AZ

• 2 weeks later...

Would love to hear about additions to the product over the last few years. This is a list of Carnival cutbacks. I have a terrible memory so I may have missed a few.

• Picture of Ship
  • Fruit Juice, if the stains were such a big deal why couldn’t they just remove the colouring
  • Shrimp Gate
  • Lobster on shorter cruises
  • Loyalty Program reductions
  • Captains/Farewell Party & VIFP Gold lost past guest party.
  • Food; Quality, Steak & Chicken Sandwiches on Lido, portion size in MDR. Burgers got replaced with Guys which I do love but miss the options from the grill.
  • Room service food that you now have to pay for, lost some free items.
  • Table Clothes
  • FTTF in same boarding group as Platinum and Diamond in some ports
  • Hard alcohol drink sizes have been considerably reduced in size
  • Room steward service is great but they adjusted their schedule to not be around as much. Miss the interaction.
  • Pillow mints
  • Bacon police
  • Vista didn’t have all the great interactive TV features that Breeze had to order food, look at menus and more…
  • Guest responsible for printing luggage & boarding documents.
  • Pizza got better but lost calzone, garlic bread and caesar salad.
  • Midnight buffet; it was spun that it was a waste of food. So Carnival wasted food for decades and couldn’t alter it to meet the demand.
  • Attempt to remove TA’s & incentives from the booking process

What I wish they would cut; the sale and activity announcements, picture people, spam in the cabins. Don’t remember one announcement selling stuff on Royal but if they do make those announcements its not all day long. Some CDs go on and on and on about crap.

I have not really even noticed the cutbacks until I came on here and people mentioned them. Then I was like "Ohhh yeah I didn't have any chocolates on my pillow last cruise" lol! I want to cruise often so if the cutbacks that I don't notice keep prices down then I am good with them. I have a great time on Carnival so I have not been tempted to try another line.