Non-Refundable OBC Refunded

Wanderlost

Hello, I have read and re-read the policies regarding OBC. We had a $300 OBC as a Celebrity perk and a $150 OBC for booking our recent Summit cruise while onboard a previous cruise. According to everything I have read, if we didn't use the OBC while onboard, we would lose it. We were refunded $1.61 back to our original credit card yesterday which was the exact amount left from our OBC. Was this a mistake on Celebrity's part or has this happened to anyone else? On all of our previous cruises, we ended up owing something after spending the OBC, so this was unusual. It would be nice to know that we could keep some of the OBC on future cruises.

That's what I thought. If the refund had been large, Celebrity probably would have kept it. Thanks:')

They would keep it if it was a cent! Either a mistake, or as suggested a fee that was returned to you as refundable OBC. This has happened to me many times.

It was definitely a mistake since all of the OBC came from Celebrity. I do wonder if we had not spent any of it, if it would have been refunded. I'm fairly certain none of us are willing to take the chance of leaving money just to find out.

I don't think it was a mistake. ;)

We returned from a Greek isles cruise last week. Almost immediately, my daughter received a $15.something credit back to her Visa card. The exact amount of unspent OBC! I questioned why she didn't spend it, as the rest of our party spent every last cent of our OBC, and then some. She said if was because she couldn't find anything worth buying except perhaps a small photo. But because of the location of our cruise, there was a 22% added VAT on any purchases. Had she purchased the small photo for $15.00, she would have owed more to Celebrity and wanted to get off the ship without a balanced owed. :D

When one has both refundable and non refundable OBC the non refundable OBC is charged first. Over the years these boards have shown how confusing OBC can be to many cruisers. As suggested one should check the interactive TV and note the codes for your OBC. IGo to Guest Relations if you have any questions or concerns.

I don't think it was a mistake. ;)

We returned from a Greek isles cruise last week. Almost immediately, my daughter received a $15.something credit back to her Visa card. The exact amount of unspent OBC! I questioned why she didn't spend it, as the rest of our party spent every last cent of our OBC, and then some. She said if was because she couldn't find anything worth buying except perhaps a small photo. But because of the location of our cruise, there was a 22% added VAT on any purchases. Had she purchased the small photo for $15.00, she would have owed more to Celebrity and wanted to get off the ship without a balanced owed. :D

Makes sense!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When one has both refundable and non refundable OBC the non refundable OBC is charged first. Over the years these boards have shown how confusing OBC can be to many cruisers. As suggested one should check the interactive TV and note the codes for your OBC. Ito to Guest Relations if you have any questions or concerns.

I had a $150 OBC for booking this cruise while onboard another one and a $300 OBC from the go better promotion through Celebrity. No part of it was refundable according to Celebrity's policy (and according to this forum). I was just wondering if we had not spent any of it, would it have been refunded. It would be nice to know the Celebrity has some uniformity to their policies. Sometimes I would much rather have a lower priced cruise or the ability to cash out my OBC, rather than a large OBC that I have to spend.

On one of out recent cruises we had $300 OBC from X as part of Go Best promotion and $300 from out TA. It was our understanding prior to the cruise when we checked with both X and the TA that both were non-refundable. The last night of the cruise we stopped at guest relations to arrange for some of the OBC that was left to be given as additional tips (we had tips included as a perk) for certain staff members. We found out that the $97 we had left was refundable OBC! We gave the staff members cash and on the final morning Guest Relations handed us $97. We still can't figure out why it was refundable. Our next cruise we also have quite a bit of OBC between X and the TA. Again, we checked with both and both say Non-refundable. I guess we'll check our account.

Check you bill for any refunds - like port taxes or fees. Sometimes there are small (unnoticed) refunds and they will be credited to your card.

The refund of a port fee/tax (if that is what it was) did not have to be exactly $1.61.

Non-refundable OBC in your on-board account is used up first and then any refundable OBC.

You might have had a refund, for example, of $3.50, but after all your charges were applied, $1.61 remained.

As someone suggested, check your on-board final statement for any refund of fees/taxes that may have been applied during the cruise.