Houston to Galveston- Liberty of the Seas

I am a native Houstonian. If given the the choice, I always choose Hobby over IAH due to its location and it's easier to navigate. That being said, if you fly into IAH, I would get as far south as you can the night before you sail from Galveston. Whether it's Clear Lake, League City, Kemah or Galveston, that puts you much closer to the port terminal. They are expanding I-45 (the highway into Galveston) and periodically the highway is closed and diverted to the feeder lanes (happened last weekend). If flying into Hobby, it's an easy drive 45 minute drive to the ship if the highway is not diverted due to construction. Enjoy your cruise!

I am a native Houstonian. If given the the choice, I always choose Hobby over IAH due to its location and it's easier to navigate. That being said, if you fly into IAH, I would get as far south as you can the night before you sail from Galveston. Whether it's Clear Lake, League City, Kemah or Galveston, that puts you much closer to the port terminal. They are expanding I-45 (the highway into Galveston) and periodically the highway is closed and diverted to the feeder lanes (happened last weekend). If flying into Hobby, it's an easy drive 45 minute drive to the ship if the highway is not diverted due to construction. Enjoy your cruise!

I'm on the 6/25 sailing of LOTS also.

Between the possibly brewing hurricane / tropical depression / etc and the I-45 construction, should be a fun time getting to this one!

I'm on the 6/25 sailing of LOTS also.

Between the possibly brewing hurricane / tropical depression / etc and the I-45 construction, should be a fun time getting to this one!

We were on the July 31st LOTS sailing last year and a hurricane was headed to Belize, one of our stops on the day we were scheduled to be there. So they changed the itinerary to stop at Cozumel first and then we headed to Nassau, Bahamas instead of Belize and Roatan to escape the storm. We were ecstatic to get an extra sea day and get to go there rather than another trip to Mexico and surrounding countries from a cruise out of Galveston. So as long as you are open-minded about the itinerary, RCCL will keep you safe and out of the storm.

We are cruising out of Galveston July 2nd and decided since we wanted the visit the NASA Space Center pre cruise, we will be staying at the Marriott Courtyard across from the Center, take the Tour Saturday morning then drive in the morning of the cruise, July 2nd. We are only 30 minutes away. Of course, we are renting a car so no shuttle.

You're going on a cruise! Get to the island as soon as you can. You will enjoy so much better. And believe me, it's sooo much nicer than an airport hotels. Google is your friend. There are hotels available that are priced the same as near Hobby except for major holidays and/or festival weekends.

BTW, while Hobby is geographically closer to the island than IAH, Southwest is about your only option. And we have often found that SWA is no longer the price leader they once were. In fact, in most cases they cost a lot more than others. But if the price is right, and their time frames are good, it's always nicer to avoid driving through DT Houston.

Flying into Hobby isn't a good option for us. We need to fly United for a myriad of reasons, plus I've flown into Houston several times so I'm a lot more familiar with the surrounding areas.

I don't have a problem driving down around Hobby the night before and getting a hotel there. I wanted to avoid staying in Galveston the night before d/t prices being jacked up and many hotels requiring a 2 night stay. Are there any other areas worth staying that I can avoid the 45?

We have the Moody Gardens in Galveston booked in October for $160 and they do not require two nights...just an option.

• 2 weeks later...
You could also look at staying in Kemah. It would have a much better vacation feeling than near the airport. If your arrives late at night, I would probably stick with your original plan, if not come on down to Clear Lake, Kemah, or even as far as Texas City if you want to be close but not on the island.

I highly recommend the Kemah Boardwalk Inn.

Living in the area.. hopefully the construction on 45 will be opened up and you will be able to get to Galveston easily. That said, I agree with the poster above. Go on down to Galveston... Why would you want to stay near the airport? Hobby is considerably closer if you have cheap flights from Southwest, but IAH, is only about 45 minutes farther if that's a better flight for you.

If you stick with your original plan, leaving the hotel no later than 9 sounds about right. You shouldn't have much wait and would be able to get right on the boat.

I live in San Antonio, not Houston, but have traveled that way to Galveston plenty of times. In reality, you are just fine with your plan now. All the recommendations are just to get you closer to Galveston. If you leave the hotel at 9am and even give yourself 2 hours, then that is 11am. The most unpredictable thing about Houston (and San Antonio is catching up, unfortunately) is the traffic. So that is why I say "2 hours" 2 hours is in case the traffic is just terrible. No telling though. Once you get past Houston and get closer into Galveston, the traffic should ease up some. Do what is best. If you want to change to Hobby, then do so. Stay in a hotel that is closer to Galveston for the night, then do that. If you check into the Nasa/Kemah area, then you are getting very close to Galveston. We have stayed in the NASA area when going to NASA and the hotels are just fine. Matter of fact, if you are into space, the you might enjoy doing NASA the day before, or going to Kemah Boardwalk. Galveston also has a new Boardwalk with rides, etc. Galveston is a fun city to visit. I love the historical mansions and the history. There are touristy things there and some great restaurants. It is your vacation, so do whatever you would enjoy. PS. The north side of Houston is very nice area. My friend from college lived there and I visit her a whole lot. BUT...there is not a whole lot to see or do up in that area. It is more suburbia.

Lots of great lodging on the island. Wouldn't want the grief of airports to start my vacation. We drive down from Dallas Saturday before and stay on the island.

I'd definitely stay on the island rather than near the airport, where it's just so bleak and industrial. Yes it's little more expensive, but you are on vacation! You can start enjoying it right away with a long walk on the beach, expansive ocean views and a great gulf shrimp dinner. It's like having an entire extra day to enjoy. Then in the morning, you are just 15 minutes away from the port. The hotels don't require 2 nights, they know everyone is going on a cruise.

I'd definitely stay on the island rather than near the airport, where it's just so bleak and industrial. Yes it's little more expensive, but you are on vacation! You can start enjoying it right away with a long walk on the beach, expansive ocean views and a great gulf shrimp dinner. It's like having an entire extra day to enjoy. Then in the morning, you are just 15 minutes away from the port. The hotels don't require 2 nights, they know everyone is going on a cruise.

Agree with everything except sometimes they DO have a two night minimum - one example being Dickens weekend in early December.

... The hotels don't require 2 nights, they know everyone is going on a cruise.

Some do, some don't. I've had poor luck getting a single Saturday night at the Harbor House and Tremont.

I am wondering when I should be looking for hotels. My cruise on LOS is July 15, 2018...Also, should I stay on island, off island? Does anyone know how far in advance Southwest opens their flights? I read on one post that if you call them they will tell you when that date opens and supposedly can get a good rate. Does anyone have experience with this?

I am wondering when I should be looking for hotels. My cruise on LOS is July 15, 2018...Also, should I stay on island, off island? Does anyone know how far in advance Southwest opens their flights? I read on one post that if you call them they will tell you when that date opens and supposedly can get a good rate. Does anyone have experience with this?

You can look for hotels a year before the stay.

With regard to Southwest, use this link to see when they will be opening their schedule:

https://www.southwest.com/air/flight-schedules/index.html?clk=GFOOTER-FLY-FLTSCHEDULES

Agree with everything except sometimes they DO have a two night minimum - one example being Dickens weekend in early December.

I have stayed at multiple hotels on the island at various peak times of the year. Whenever I am pricing up a hotel online and it says 2 night minimum I gave called the hotel direct (not central reservation but the direct line) every time I have explained that I am going on a cruise they have given me a price for the one night. Never had an issue with 2 night minimums. Now whether or not I like the price is another matter. The Hilton has become very expensive lately for dates I need.

I am another who would recommend staying at a hotel on the Island. There is only one bridge in. One trip down there was a crash on the bridge and they had to close the bridge to land an air ambulance. We were held up for hours. Glad we were not sailing to the next day.

How many times in life as that happen:rolleyes:

If you don't care about frills and just want a place to lay your head, I stayed at the very low-budget Howard Johnson express on the island in March for $35. It was good for me because they allowed free parking for my car for the cruise, and I drove in the day before. We were able to explore the island a little bit and have dinner, then run a couple of quick errands at the Walmart prior to getting to the port at 11. I took a cab to the port and left my car parked for free.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How many times in life as that happen:rolleyes:

I've seen it too, and I doubt it was the same day!

Also, the Hilton in Galveston is awful, especially considering the price.

I've seen it too, and I doubt it was the same day!

Also, the Hilton in Galveston is awful, especially considering the price.

There is actually 3 ways on to the island the ferry to the east, I-45 causeway, the toll bridge from the west.