Dance Lessons

I have a friend trying to plan her first cruise. She wants to be able to take dance lessons on the cruise and then dress up for formal night and go dancing. Does Holland America have these types of dance lessons on their cruises?

I'm afraid HAL does not offer dance lessons any longer, now that they have discontinued their arrangement with "Dancing with the Stars at Sea". There is dancing at the BB King's Blues Clubs, but I don't think that's the kind of dancing your friend is looking for. Also, some days there are "Tea Dances" in the Ocean Bar, and while they are pleasant, they are hardly a "dress up" occasion. For the time being, the older ships still do dancing in the evening at the Ocean Bar as well. There is disco in the Queens Lounge on some ships, in the Northern Lights on others, and maybe even still up in the Crow's Nest on a few ships. I don't know what is offered on the Grand Voyages or longer itineraries on the older ships (Veendam, Maasdam, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Zaandam, Volendam, Prinsendam). In short, HAL is in the process of transitioning from the traditional cruise dance experience, to a more modern interpretation, and I can no longer say with certainty just what is on offer on any particular cruise or ship.

I would seriously suggest your friend look into cruises with Cunard, the last bastion of the traditional, formal evening dance experience.

Dance lessons were not offered on our last couple of cruises.

There used to be dancing in the Ocean Bar, but since "The Band" (for example) on some ships now has to play in the main show lounge for the evening shows, no music to dance there. And as mentioned -- Northern Lights is being torn out and changed over to another venue on the Vista and Signature class ships.

HAL also goes Gala Nights and does not require anything more than slacks and a collared shirt for men and ladies wear nice slacks, fancy tops or dresses. Very few people really get dressed up any more -- not even in the specialty restaurants.

I agree with another poster -- your friend should look at Cunard.

57redbird is correct. Crystal still has Gentlemen dance hosts for evening dancing and the on board dance team offers lessons (no partner required) on some afternoons. People can dress to their heart's content for Black Tie Optional evenings (or not, if they choose). On cruises of seven days or less there are no Black Tie Optional evenings. Have "a ball"!!

• 4 months later...
<SNIP>

I would seriously suggest your friend look into cruises with Cunard, the last bastion of the traditional, formal evening dance experience.

Sailed from London to NY on Cunard's QM2 earlier this year and, while it is true they have the "Biggest Ballroom At Sea" and a full orchestra, the dance floor was so crowed it was extremely difficult to even get on the floor much less actually dance. Also, given the large number of people who apparently have no clue about dance etiquette or any courtesy toward their fellow passengers, we just gave up. The only people who seemed to have any luck navigating the floor were the dance hosts and the folks who didn't seem to mind running their fellow passengers over.

However, we did an Alaska cruise aboard HAL's Maasdam in July of 2016 and had great fun dancing every night to a nice 3 piece combo in the Ocean Bar. The floor was a bit small, but it was never very crowded.

They had dance lessons in the Queen's Lounge on our recent Koningsdam TA. One was line dancing, which everyone really enjoyed. I also thought I saw ballroom dancing but will need someone else to confirm that because I was down for the count for most of the crossing. :loudcry:

Cunard is her only realistic choice. Crystal is far more expensive and of no better quality. My travel agent has been on several of HAL 's refurbished ships. He states there is no ballroom dancing and he will not book dance groups.

Edited by Dancer Bob