Royal Caribbean vs. Travel Agent -- Finger pointing.

Is Royal a member of the "all calls recorded for quality assurance purposes" crowd?

If so, tell em you want the call to the TA pulled to see who authorized the change.

If they give you the run around, safe to assume it was Royal making the change.

I worked at a place with the "quality assurance" tag line. If I needed to pull a call it was a simple search function.

Shouldn't be too difficult for a company with Royal's I.T expertise. *sarcasm font*

All calls say "MAY be recorded for quality assurance"

May be unfortunate, but the cruise contract gives the company broad powers over a booking.

OP, this quote is the only thing that matters - it doesn't really matter what happened or who did it - they can move you at will. But if you want a reason to look for another TA, this issue is a good excuse.

Without a doubt...this is your TA's doing...not RCI's and apparently RCI has the documentation to prove it.

I would be extremely unhappy with a TA that did this to my chosen cabin location....and would expect compensation in some form from them.

They know the name of your TA because it's on your reservation. They just pulled up your reservation, mentioned TA by name and gave the date of the change. I say it's RC.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

I say it was gremlins.

gremlins_zpsux17ejsk.jpggremlins_zpsux17ejsk.jpg

Well the damage has been done...so now it's time to move on to resolutions. Put your TA on the task and see what they can come up with that can smooth this over. This will be the test to see if your TA can come through for you. Then you will know if you need a new TA or if you are just better off booking yourself.

Good Luck and don't let this bump ruin your cruise.

Thank you everyone for your insights.

The move was from a 3-bed stateroom to another 3-bed stateroom in the same category. The TA said RCI needed to move us so that they can accommodate another family that needed to be together. I'm all for helping another family out, just wished that the notice would have made its way to me earlier on during the change so I would have other room choices. The sailing is now completely sold out so I'm stuck with the new cabin assignment.

After talking to both RCI and the TA, I think RCI comes out a bit more credible on this one.

True but they should contact the customer and explain why they want their cabin and offer an agreeable compromise.

Except when the reservation is made through a TA, the TA owns the reservation and is considered the "customer" with whom all booking contact takes place. If RCI spoke to the TA, they fulfilled their obligation to contact the "customer."

One more reason for me not to use a TA or any third party for my bookings. Lack of so called perks is more than compensated by the fact there is no finger pointing if I book direct.

At most I just have to yell down the hall "Hey Mrs Geldhart! Did RCL call asking to move out cabin? Ok, thanks"

Sent from my LG-H831 using Forums mobile app

Except when the reservation is made through a TA, the TA owns the reservation and is considered the "customer" with whom all booking contact takes place. If RCI spoke to the TA, they fulfilled their obligation to contact the "customer."

I don't disagree with you. I know there are policies and procedures in place and RCI likely had followed them.

However, the problem came up when RCI wanted to change my reservation in order to generate revenue for another booking. How about RCI having a practice to not do this to begin with? Just because the cruise contract gives them the right to do something doesn't mean its right for the customer. Something that is legal does not necessarily mean its ethical.

Personally, while RCI comes off a bit more credible on this one, I think both RCI and the TA have some blame here.

All calls say "MAY be recorded for quality assurance"

That means every word you say is recorded. I worked in a call center and they would pull calls as part of our bonus program. Also they would pull calls just to see how the account managers were doing in calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't disagree with you. I know there are policies and procedures in place and RCI likely had followed them.

However, the problem came up when RCI wanted to change my reservation in order to generate revenue for another booking. How about RCI having a practice to not do this to begin with?

So you think they should have a policy that says they can't even call and ASK the customer/TA about switching cabins? Because presumably that's what happened.... they called and explained the situation and asked and were told, "yeah that's fine." That seems a little ridiculous, and if they did that, it stands to reason that the customer should also be prevented from calling to ASK about switching cabins. But I imagine you don't find any problem with that. ;)

However, the problem came up when RCI wanted to change my reservation in order to generate revenue for another booking.

And there's the reason they are in business - making nice with customers comes after. As long as you understand and accept that, you won't have any further disappointments.

Biker, who in this case would have a chat with the TA and potentially sever ties if the outcome is not favorable.

<p>

They know the name of your TA because it's on your reservation. They just pulled up your reservation, mentioned TA by name and gave the date of the change. I say it's RC.

I think this is the winning entry.

Hmmm...So you think RCI is in the business of upsetting (alienating) a paid in full customer just to appease the needs of someone else and then some one in the executive office lied about it....interesting assumption

I think they're less concerned with an angry customer vs. and angry travel agent, who might represent a lot of customers.

OP may want to check your upgrade preferences. What might be an upgrade "on paper" could turn out exactly like this. Sure, it spoils the surprise of the extremely rare possibility where we get to the terminal and find we were bumped from a GS to an OS :rolleyes: but it would also, in theory, prevent us being "upgraded" to a room more convenient to the elevators (and additional traffic and passersby)

And there's the reason they are in business - making nice with customers comes after. As long as you understand and accept that, you won't have any further disappointments.

Biker, who in this case would have a chat with the TA and potentially sever ties if the outcome is not favorable.

Curious what would be considered a favorable outcome?

Some OBC and realization that they would be fired if anything like this happened again.

$25? $50? How much? I guess I'm trying to understand how much would make it "okay"? Especially if one can't PROVE that it was the TA at fault.

But what if the TA didn't know? If you make a mistake at work, do you pay out of your wallet? I'm just saying that because the cruise line says the agent knew, doesn't mean that's true. I've had instances of them blaming the agent when I knew for a fact it wasn't the case.

I would hope all of that would come out in the chat and past interactions should be an indication of the TA's competence. I would probably confront them with the info gathered from RCI and see how they respond. Again, all of this is very subjective and personality dependent.

You said your TA was very reliable before this happened. I would be inclined to believe him in that case, and assign the blame for this to RCCL. They probably moved you with a click of a mouse then forgot to notify anyone. IMO that seems much more likely....

My opinion is that RC initiated the involuntary stateroom change to accommodate the other family. They notified the TA but then the TA failed to notify the OP. Then, when the OP found out through other means about the stateroom change and asked the TA, the TA claimed that they didn't know anything about it. This would explain why the booking is documented the way it is.

So to summarize, RCI made the change, informed the TA, but the TA failed to inform the OP about it and then claimed not knowing anything about it. In that case, the TA should call RCI and try to at least get the OP in a more desirable stateroom that they can agree on.

Just speculation, but this is what makes sense in my head.

My opinion is that RC initiated the involuntary stateroom change to accommodate the other family. They notified the TA but then the TA failed to notify the OP. Then, when the OP found out through other means about the stateroom change and asked the TA, the TA claimed that they didn't know anything about it. This would explain why the booking is documented the way it is.

So to summarize, RCI made the change, informed the TA, but the TA failed to inform the OP about it and then claimed not knowing anything about it. In that case, the TA should call RCI and try to at least get the OP in a more desirable stateroom that they can agree on.

Just speculation, but this is what makes sense in my head.

Sounds reasonable to me.

As the OP mentioned, too late for that, no other cabins available to move to.

I missed that part. That sucks