Group Size Question

blacklab16

Looking at the Dec.1 Westerdam Mexican Riviera. Went to the Roll Call and three of the six people who signed up have cancelled due to the presence of a group on board for that cruise. The group is The Nation, a news magazine. Is anyone familiar with this group as to its' usual size? I've cruised with groups before and never noticed them but what has me concerned is that second dinner seating is not offered as an option, only early and anytime. I've experienced early seatings being full before due to groups but never late, especially nearly six months out. If anyone has any experience with this group, I believe that they cruise every year, please reply. Thanks.

http://www.nationcruise.com/

http://www.nationcruise.com/speakers.htm

http://www.nationcruise.com/event-highlights.htm

Might give you an idea of the group, although you wouldn't be involved in their programs. You might be able to contact them through the website and ask how big the group is. They might not tell you, but it's worth a try. EM

Westerdam .... or HAL ..... may never be the same:

One speaker wrote a book "What's the matter with white people" and another is a domestic worker union organizer.

If they are already telling you there will be no late MDR seating, assume this will be a very large group and your own freedom of enjoyment on the ship will be impacted. One problem others have noticed is when there are large groups they tend to move in a pack when they get out of their sessions and impact other ship venues and facilities en masse.

I would cancel my reservations too. Or sign up for their cruise, if this schedule of speakers interests you.

OlsSalt covered it quite well. On our Alaska cruise last July there was an Inspirations Group. At the time we booked the cruise, 10 months before cruise, late set seating was already not available. Group had option of booking up to half the ship, they had 700 in their group. Many people try to avoid cruises with groups.

We sailed with The Nation group on board last December (Odam). Barely knew they were there, only by their IDs hanging around their necks. Not a large number, obviously intelligent, not militant. They were friendly and courteous whenever I talked to them. Their activities were not posted and they met in out-of the way rooms during the day. Don't know how they affected dining - we had early fixed. I'd have no problem sailing with them again.

The closed late dining option this early in the reservations cycle is a direct warning this is expected to be a large group. Doesn't matter what the content of the group is, only the size and it already has taken over one of the reasonably expected dining options.

Be grateful you got early warning this would happen. Much better than a recent experience where HAL yanked late fixed dining away from passengers midcourse in preference to a large group reservation.

We have sailed while larger groups were onboard and you couldn't notice a difference. Yes...your preferred dining may not be available until you board, as groups do get booked into 1 timeslot...but the individuals tend to rearrange their times to suit them...so getting a time you want is NOT "out of the question". Most times, the majority of the "group" are strangers to the rest of their group...so it's really no different than any other cruise. ALL sailings have "groups" aboard. I wouldn't worry about it!

I once sailed with a group. Wouldn't do that again. I am not sure if any dining was chg as we had anytime dining, but the lido pool and surrounding areas (including the Cabanas) were closed after about 11am on a sea day in the Caribbean! We were not happy about that. I don't remember what the group was (I want to say "National Review", but I am not sure) Now I ck the date and for any groups onboard. It is easy to book a cruise that doesn't include a group.

Good luck and have a good cruise no matter what you decide to do.

I once sailed with a group. Wouldn't do that again. I am not sure if any dining was chg as we had anytime dining, but the lido pool and surrounding areas (including the Cabanas) were closed after about 11am on a sea day in the Caribbean! We were not happy about that. I don't remember what the group was (I want to say "National Review", but I am not sure) Now I ck the date and for any groups onboard. It is easy to book a cruise that doesn't include a group.

Good luck and have a good cruise no matter what you decide to do.

(bold is mine) Even the cabanas?? Had people who were not in the group booked them? Cabanas aren't cheap, and a sea day is when they're most likely to be used.

Did they cancel because of this particular group, or because a group was booked. I would hate to think that they canceled because of this particular group but that is not my business if people are so prejudiced. We have been on many cruises with rather large groups and have never been bothered in any way. Of course, we are rather tolerant of all others. If it is merely the evening dining time problem I would not be too concerned. We have encountered this before and have just shown up and asked for a table, and have been seated within minutes with out any problem.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise and that you enjoy many more in the future.

[quote name=Robb;53291629.....If it is merely the evening dining time problem I would not be too concerned. We have encountered this before and have just shown up and asked for a table' date=' and have been seated within minutes with out any problem.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise and that you enjoy many more in the future.[/quote]

If someone expected and wanted late-fixed dining, the large group taking over the exclusive use of dining slot and location would remain a problem. Some of us get attached to the same table and same wait staff ...night after night after night.

(bold is mine) Even the cabanas?? Had people who were not in the group booked them? Cabanas aren't cheap, and a sea day is when they're most likely to be used.

Yes even the Cabanas. I said the same thing. I would have been quite upset of I had one, but I didn't. I don't know who had booked them, but the whole area was cordoned off cabanas and all!

I am getting the impression only sail with a large group on board if you are content with second-class citizenship status. You will not get what you pay for, unless your fare on those cruises are discounted for regular passengers.

Do you think those who had cabanas booked were reimbursed for the day they couldn't use them?

Roz

I would hope so. Actually they should have been notified that there was going to be an affair on one of our two sea days before they booked the cabana. But as I said I don't know as the whole area was roped off. It was very inconvenient to the rest of the passengers!

We were booked on the Dec 1 sailing and cancelled. We prefer not to sail with large groups of ANY kind. In fact, we cancelled this same cruise last year due to a totally different, nonpolitical group. Very large groups do affect your overall enjoyment. We had prebooked a family retreat cabana and found out there might be times we could not use the area.

I have been on several cruises with large groups - none of which I was affiliated with. I think how much is effects others depends on the type of group it is. Once it was a "National Review" group and it made the cruise much more enjoyable for us BECAUSE they spent sea days in sessions (lectures, panels, etc) in the Show Lounge. Speakers for the masses (open to whole ship) still used the Show Lounge at least once a day. Otherwise the Show Lounge was busy for the National Review Group. The GREAT part was that it was like sailing on a half full ship - great for all other aspects of ship life. One evening they did have an event in the central Lido pool area, but only one evening.

However, on another cruise it was a music affiliated group and they were much more evident around the ship, including the Lido deck. However, in our case we enjoyed the music and in most cases we could listen in on the music - which we enjoyed. (For example, when they took over the Lido Pool area - we stood on the deck above and enjoyed the music because the movable roof was open.) Others were not so happy about the music evident around the ship.

While I might not intentionally book a cruise with a LARGE group, if it was a cruise I was already booked on because I wanted the itinerary - I would make my decision based on what type of group it was.

Looking at the Dec.1 Westerdam Mexican Riviera. Went to the Roll Call and three of the six people who signed up have cancelled due to the presence of a group on board for that cruise. The group is The Nation, a news magazine. Is anyone familiar with this group as to its' usual size? I've cruised with groups before and never noticed them but what has me concerned is that second dinner seating is not offered as an option, only early and anytime. I've experienced early seatings being full before due to groups but never late, especially nearly six months out. If anyone has any experience with this group, I believe that they cruise every year, please reply. Thanks.

We canceled/changed last Dec for the reason above. It's a large group that take up the entire late assigned seating. (not being able to get late seating 9 months ahead was my first clue there may be a large group)

The Nation is a liberal magazine that seem to be doing cruises for their followers in December. Not to get political but ,,, above and beyond not being able to get the late dining we wanted we're conservative and felt it wasn't going to be a comfortable fit for us with a large organized liberal group.