Pearl questions from first-time NCL cruiser

zdub86

• I know it's anytime dining, but are you assigned to one of the dining rooms? Or are you free to go to whichever dining room you'd like?
  • Do you get an assigned check-in time? Or can you board the ship whenever?
  • I am only familiar with Carnival, and they allowed us to bring one standard size sealed bottle of wine per adult in our carry-on luggage. Does NCL do something similar?
  • Speaking of luggage, I will just assume that it's similar to Carnival: one checked luggage and one carry-on per person, is that correct? Does NCL list their luggage policy on their website somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

You are not assigned to a MDR. You may go where you want when you want. Depends on where you are embarking but generally you can get to the pier around 9:30 and depending on how the disembarkation from the previous sailing went...you will probably be boarding between 10 to 11.

You may bring as many pieces of luggage as you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are not assigned to a MDR. You may go where you want when you want. Depends on where you are embarking but generally you can get to the pier around 9:30 and depending on how the disembarkation from the previous sailing went...you will probably be boarding between 10 to 11.

You may bring as many pieces of luggage as you want.

Thank you!! NCL already sounds much more laid back and more relaxed than Carnival and I haven't even gotten on the ship yet!!

I'm platinum on Carnival, but my last several cruises have been on NCL and I love it! :) Responses below.

• I know it's anytime dining, but are you assigned to one of the dining rooms? Or are you free to go to whichever dining room you'd like? Go where you like. No assignments. The reason I tried NCL was the variety of dining. Be sure to check out O'Sheehan's.
  • Do you get an assigned check-in time? Or can you board the ship whenever? During the online check-in process you'll select the time you'd like to arrive and check-in at the pier. To my knowledge this is not enforced.
  • I am only familiar with Carnival, and they allowed us to bring one standard size sealed bottle of wine per adult in our carry-on luggage. Does NCL do something similar? You can bring as much wine as you'd like. You'll be charged $15 per bottle corkage.
  • Speaking of luggage, I will just assume that it's similar to Carnival: one checked luggage and one carry-on per person, is that correct? Does NCL list their luggage policy on their website somewhere? I know of no limits on the amount of luggage. That said, I've never checked because I pack relatively lightly. :D

Thanks in advance.

Actually I was just on NCL's website today and they do have luggage limitations: 2 checked bags with a 50lb each weight limit. I've never checked that much luggage, but it was in the "what to pack" section of the FAQ.

Source: https://www.ncl.com/faq#how-many-suitcases

Yeah, but it isn't enforced -- especially the weight limit. But otherwise, if you've got more than 100 pounds worth of luggage, you've probably overpacked for the average 7 day voyage.

I only know it because I'm guilty of it... sad, really.

I understand that! I used to be a ridiculous over-packer. But, four years ago my daughter and I did a 12-night Baltic cruise and 3 1/2 weeks touring through Europe with only carry-ons and back packs. I refused to deal with more than that through 13 countries! That broke me of it! I figure if I can do five weeks with carry-on only, I can do a single cruise with a medium-sized suitcase. :D:D

Yeah, but it isn't enforced -- especially the weight limit. But otherwise, if you've got more than 100 pounds worth of luggage, you've probably overpacked for the average 7 day voyage.

Hey, I'm the gal that hit up Costa Rica for 10 days in just a backpack. But OP asked about the policy and I simply provided the "official" guidelines. Just because it hasn't been enforced, doesn't mean it won't at some point in the future. And far better to say, this is the "official" limit that isn't enforced than to say you can have unlimited bags. But I'd agree, anyone who needs 100 pounds of luggage for a week long cruise really needs to rethink their packing needs.

We have done 3 NCL cruises and always get to the pier early, got through the check in quickly but then had to wait in the embarkation area until around noon when they started boarding by numbered group's. You get your group number after you are checked in and proceed to the waiting area. Our observation has been that the lines get longer as the day proceeds.

Once we board we drop our carry on luggage at the designated area and head for one of the eating places and by the time we are done they have usually made the announcement that the cabins are ready.

A note on luggage, if you can manage it yourself and it will fit on the conveyor that scans it, you can keep it with you rather than dropping it off at the pier, then you can unpack right away when you get to your room,

On the wine policy, you will be charged corkage on ALL wine, and cannot bring bottled water, spirits etc.

The alcohol policy and lots of other useful info is all on NCL website.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Forums mobile app

We try to get there very late morning since they start boarding around noon. We gotten there too early, but only because we had to leave the hotel early.

Bags - never seen anyone with an issue on luggage. In fact, I would be surprised if any ship had a 1 bag limit. Okay, carnival does say that for 3-5 day cruises. Wonder if they actually enforce that?

As some others mentioned, we now do carryon only. And, we do not drop it off at the carryon area. We just drag it with us to lunch and then the room.

Thanks for all the tips, peeps. I'm not the original poster, but I am going to Alaska on my first ever cruise.

Some follow up questions and comments.

We stuck with the default "boarding time" around noon. We live in the area, so haven't really determined what time we'll head for the waterfront yet. My traveling companion (my BFF from college) and I both have extremely busy schedules leading up to the cruise, so we might not even decide until the night before.

So, if we picked an earlier boarding time in case we got up at the butt crack of dawn in excitement, but ended up sleeping in because of some pre celebration the night before - would we run into problems doing a late check in?

If we stick with our noon (or later) designated time, and do get there early, can we check our bags ahead of time at the pier so that we can walk around unencumbered by our bags?

Some comments - I'm a HUGE believer in carry on only when I am going on an airplane. Did carry on only to Europe for 3 weeks (trick is - when you find that perfect souvenir, like a glass bowl from Murano or pottery in Florence, mail that stuff home on the slow boat. Ask the salesperson if you can put your other stuff, like postcards, coffee table books, etc. in the box as well. Offer a tip. I even mailed home a sweatshirt I no longer needed as we had traveled south, wrapped around some of my purchases). Even when I don't mail home purchases, etc. I do carry on. Have only checked my bag once in the last 15 or so years (and that was when I got bumped up to 1st class, had a direct flight, and arrived 3 hours early to the airport that had some great shopping. I didn't want to schlep around the bag, so put the Kindle and tablet in my larger purse along with meds, etc. and checked that sucker.

However, I feel like cruising is a whole different ballgame for me.

I'm not arriving at embarkation after a flight. Going to Alaska in July means I may go from 80 degrees to 60 and back again, so a variety of clothing may be needed (long underwear under my thinner pants is a solution I used in Europe with great success. Doing that again). We also are looking forward to some great down time in the spa, etc.... so I'm adding to the load by bringing some stuff like a knitting project, etc. I have some down throw blankets that have their own squishy bags (like a sleeping bag) that I use for outdoor movie nights and keep in my car in case of emergency. Not heavy, but not something I'd usually travel with in an airplane because of the room. Bringing them so we can sit out on the deck warm and toasty, even at sea and windy.

I guess my point is that for a cruise - I can see racking up the pounds in 2 bags, 50 lbs each.

• I know it's anytime dining, but are you assigned to one of the dining rooms? Or are you free to go to whichever dining room you'd like?
  • Do you get an assigned check-in time? Or can you board the ship whenever?
  • I am only familiar with Carnival, and they allowed us to bring one standard size sealed bottle of wine per adult in our carry-on luggage. Does NCL do something similar?
  • Speaking of luggage, I will just assume that it's similar to Carnival: one checked luggage and one carry-on per person, is that correct? Does NCL list their luggage policy on their website somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

I stood in enough lines and sat around waiting too much when I was in the Army, so I never show up early. I usually don't arrive until after 2:00 PM for a 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM sailing.

NCL only allows wine if you pay a corkage fee and they will x-ray every bag looking for booze, so don't bother to pack it in your luggage thinking you will sneak it onboard. They'll just send your luggage to the "Naughty Room" and make you come pick it up rather than deliver it to your cabin. Then they make you open it up for them while they search it.

I'm Platinum on Carnival, but I wasn't aware there was a limit on luggage. Not that I ever would need that much, because I always do self-assist, but I have never heard there is a limit until now.

Edited by EnterCruise

Thanks for all the tips, peeps. I'm not the original poster, but I am going to Alaska on my first ever cruise.

We stuck with the default "boarding time" around noon. We live in the area, so haven't really determined what time we'll head for the waterfront yet. My traveling companion (my BFF from college) and I both have extremely busy schedules leading up to the cruise, so we might not even decide until the night before.

So, if we picked an earlier boarding time in case we got up at the butt crack of dawn in excitement, but ended up sleeping in because of some pre celebration the night before - would we run into problems doing a late check in?

If we stick with our noon (or later) designated time, and do get there early, can we check our bags ahead of time at the pier so that we can walk around unencumbered by our bags?

Some comments - I'm a HUGE believer in carry on only when I am going on an airplane. Did carry on only to Europe for 3 weeks (trick is - when you find that perfect souvenir, like a glass bowl from Murano or pottery in Florence, mail that stuff home on the slow boat. Ask the salesperson if you can put your other stuff, like postcards, coffee table books, etc. in the box as well. Offer a tip. I even mailed home a sweatshirt I no longer needed as we had traveled south, wrapped around some of my purchases). Even when I don't mail home purchases, etc. I do carry on. Have only checked my bag once in the last 15 or so years (and that was when I got bumped up to 1st class, had a direct flight, and arrived 3 hours early to the airport that had some great shopping. I didn't want to schlep around the bag, so put the Kindle and tablet in my larger purse along with meds, etc. and checked that sucker.

I'm not arriving at embarkation after a flight. Going to Alaska in July means I may go from 80 degrees to 60 and back again, so a variety of clothing may be needed (long underwear under my thinner pants is a solution I used in Europe with great success. Doing that again). We also are looking forward to some great down time in the spa, etc.... so I'm adding to the load by bringing some stuff like a knitting project, etc. I have some down throw blankets that have their own squishy bags (like a sleeping bag) that I use for outdoor movie nights and keep in my car in case of emergency. Not heavy, but not something I'd usually travel with in an airplane because of the room. Bringing them so we can sit out on the deck warm and toasty, even at sea and windy.

I guess my point is that for a cruise - I can see racking up the pounds in 2 bags, 50 lbs each.

Which sailing in July? We're going the 9th.

Response below...

So, if we picked an earlier boarding time in case we got up at the butt crack of dawn in excitement, but ended up sleeping in because of some pre celebration the night before - would we run into problems doing a late check in? No. You get to pick the time you want to check in, but in my experience it's pretty meaningless. No one's ever checked to see if I'm there at or after my chosen check-in time. I've never heard of it being enforced. It may be at some point in the future, but not currently.

If we stick with our noon (or later) designated time, and do get there early, can we check our bags ahead of time at the pier so that we can walk around unencumbered by our bags? Yes. The porters neither know nor care what your check-in time is.

Some comments - I'm a HUGE believer in carry on only when I am going on an airplane. Did carry on only to Europe for 3 weeks (trick is - when you find that perfect souvenir, like a glass bowl from Murano or pottery in Florence, mail that stuff home on the slow boat. Ask the salesperson if you can put your other stuff, like postcards, coffee table books, etc. in the box as well. Offer a tip. I even mailed home a sweatshirt I no longer needed as we had traveled south, wrapped around some of my purchases). Even when I don't mail home purchases, etc. I do carry on. Have only checked my bag once in the last 15 or so years (and that was when I got bumped up to 1st class, had a direct flight, and arrived 3 hours early to the airport that had some great shopping. I didn't want to schlep around the bag, so put the Kindle and tablet in my larger purse along with meds, etc. and checked that sucker. This is what my daughter and I did when we traveled through Europe for five weeks with only carry-on. About halfway through the trip, we mailed a couple boxes home. :)

It's easy to go over the 2 bag 50 lb limit when you have all your scuba diving equipment with you in the Caribbean. I don't like to rent gear due to sanitary (or lack of) rental equipment. I still laugh when I found 6 lbs of lead weights still in my BCD when I got home and couldn't figure out why my luggage was so heavy.

Heya! There are tons of great answer in this post. I won't bother answering the same questions again.

Just thought I would drop this link in as I think it may be of help to you, this being your first NCL cruise. http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/12/04/8-things-ncl/ 8 things you should know before cruising with NCL.

Hope that helps and have a fabulous time!! :-)

We just got off our Alaska cruise on the Pearl three weeks ago. We are also local and depend on the Washington state (Un-dependable) ferries to get us to Seattle. Our embarkation time was for 11:30 to 12 but due to a ferry breakdown we were late by 45 minutes...they didn't care. And honestly the embarkation was kind of a Cluster-F so pack your patience...enjoy your trip! We left when the weather was close to 90 here at home...it was in the mid 50s to mid 60s up in Alaska. So definitely needed the variety of clothing! And definitely bring stuff to do for down time...we didn't bring anything, had no cellphone service, so we ended up taking plenty of Naps!