Fee to see Show

Presumably it will be better than the shows we saw recently on the Pacific Dawn - they were shockers. :p

Don't count on it, when you pay peanuts you get monkeys....a lot of our music industry friends wouldn't be caught dead entertaining on a cruise ship now....these one song wonders that win or come a place on the awful talent shows of today might be able to sing a song but they can't entertain haven't got a clue how to work an audience...haven't earned their stripes like real entertainers do :mad:

On our Oceana cruise earlier this year an act, not much of one most left 3 song in, proudly spruiked about being a semi-finalist in Britains Got Talent...... we found out the winner that year was a DOG..... would rather have seen him.....

It makes me laugh we already pay for the entertainment in our cruise fare you know the "free" lol shows and now they want to make you pay to see a so called better class of entertainment ....what a load of bollocks.... and unless the named chef is actually cooking for me you can't stick the charge where the sun doesn't shine..... you are paying for a menu cooked by some random chef....omg..... :loudcry::loudcry:

I disagree with your comment that P&O Australia has always charge for things that other cruise lines give as part of the fare.

Charging for extras seems to be a recent part of P&O's business model. Prior to our recent cruise on Pacific Dawn, we hadn't gone on a P&O ship for well over four years. I cannot remember any extra charges then, other than the Luke Mangan restaurant and that had only been there a few years. I even remember when they first introduced a steak house onto the Pacific Sun. Prior to that there was not any extra-charge restaurant.

I think it is regrettable that they have brought in extra charges and may be bringing in more. Back in 1983, one of the senior officers on the Fairstar said they had to remove the extra charges that had previously applied (charging for deck chairs was an example). He said that Australians don't like to have to pay for extras all the time. I would agree with that. I think it is a retrograde step to bring back extra charges.

I have brochures from the 90's that clearly state that they charge for any deck food grills, any in room television movies and other things that were included for other lines.

It is a bad introduction and will only see the demise of the cruise industry as we know it with what they are doing. I do not want Princess to follow suit. I think in the future many passengers who used to enjoy certain cruise lines might be searching for a new cruise line to sail with.

I have brochures from the 90's that clearly state that they charge for any deck food grills, any in room television movies and other things that were included for other lines.

It is a bad introduction and will only see the demise of the cruise industry as we know it with what they are doing. I do not want Princess to follow suit. I think in the future many passengers who used to enjoy certain cruise lines might be searching for a new cruise line to sail with.

We cruised very often with P&O Aust until 5-6 years ago. I cannot remember having the option to pay for in-room TV movies. Until the Luke Mangan restaurant came, there wasn't a fee-pay restaurant. I think on our last several cruises, there was a charge for deck food grills, but we didn't bother to get this.

I'm not keen on the cover charge either but seeing that it includes a cocktail that makes it almost free as long as you were planning to have a drink with the show anyway. The shows we saw on Eden earlier this year were quite good. Much, much better than Carnival. At least the P&O singers could actually sing. Still not something I would have been willing to pay for though.

Helen - hope you write a review. I'm interested to hear what Explorer is like. Water slides look good for the kids at least.

I'm not keen on the cover charge either but seeing that it includes a cocktail that makes it almost free as long as you were planning to have a drink with the show anyway.

I think that is the key here, it is an adults show and I think the price is purely put onto it to limit demand.

I am happy to come back and give my opinion, but where cruises are concerned I'm a very "glass half full " type of person. I've only been on 13 cruises over 4 different cruise lines (mostly Princess) , and have yet to have anything serious enough to warrant a whinge.

And that includes a tap in the bathroom running constantly (not a drip but a drizzle), it was on Oosterdam and they couldn't fix it. I just shut the door so I didn't have to listen :).

I mightn't give the water slides a workout, but I'll give them a look [emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am happy to come back and give my opinion, but where cruises are concerned I'm a very "glass half full " type of person. I've only been on 13 cruises over 4 different cruise lines (mostly Princess) , and have yet to have anything serious enough to warrant a whinge.

And that includes a tap in the bathroom running constantly (not a drip but a drizzle), it was on Oosterdam and they couldn't fix it. I just shut the door so I didn't have to listen :).

I mightn't give the water slides a workout, but I'll give them a look [emoji2]

Sounds like you are fairly easy going. If you ever cruise P&O just remember that it may not be as good as some other lines but if the price is right it is still a cruise (and they count towards Princess's Captain's Circle program).

Thanks Mic. I did my first P&O on Eden's inaugural cruise from Fremantle to Sydney. Because of credit given during that cruise I again went on the Eden a few months later [emoji2]

I am partial to the Thermal suite on her (and Aria I imagine)

Whilst it wasn't Princess standard , I was more than pleasantly surprised with P&O. (After reading comments on here usually from folks who have never sailed P&O but have an opinion none-the-less, I expected a product far below Princess)

And happy to take the cruise credit .......

So when I saw the great price for a solo on this trip the other week, I thought why not. ( I have a soft spot for Dawn Princess) .

Always nice to go on a freshened up ship. Closest I'll get to a new ship until I try Majestic in September 2018 [emoji1305]

Thanks Mic. I did my first P&O on Eden's inaugural cruise from Fremantle to Sydney. Because of credit given during that cruise I again went on the Eden a few months later [emoji2]

I am partial to the Thermal suite on her (and Aria I imagine)

Whilst it wasn't Princess standard , I was more than pleasantly surprised with P&O. (After reading comments on here usually from folks who have never sailed P&O but have an opinion none-the-less, I expected a product far below Princess)

And happy to take the cruise credit .......

So when I saw the great price for a solo on this trip the other week, I thought why not. ( I have a soft spot for Dawn Princess) .

Always nice to go on a freshened up ship. Closest I'll get to a new ship until I try Majestic in September 2018 [emoji1305]

Yes, we got cruise credit for our inaugural Aria cruise, a totally unexpected but nice gift. We have one booked on the Majestic but not til March 2019. In the meantime we have a few others though.

Yes, we got cruise credit for our inaugural Aria cruise, a totally unexpected but nice gift. We have one booked on the Majestic but not til March 2019. In the meantime we have a few others though.

I'm not relaxed unless I have a couple of cruises booked, even if I end up cancelling and changing cruises a few times. Have to love my Future cruise deposits. (They get used and reused a few times each before I settle on which cruise sometimes)

For now it's next stop Explorer [emoji2]

I'm not relaxed unless I have a couple of cruises booked, even if I end up cancelling and changing cruises a few times. Have to love my Future cruise deposits. (They get used and reused a few times each before I settle on which cruise sometimes)

For now it's next stop Explorer [emoji2]

Be careful with that as they are changing or have changed the rules slightly so that once used, the reuse loses all benefits that come with it.

Be careful with that as they are changing or have changed the rules slightly so that once used, the reuse loses all benefits that come with it.

When did this start Mic?

I know you lose it if you cancel when the penalty time kicks in, like a deposit.

Wasn't aware that if changed or moved the benefits are lost......which is OBC?

When did this start Mic?

I know you lose it if you cancel when the penalty time kicks in, like a deposit.

Chez if the cruise drops in price you have to be careful wanting it refared and most times its for new bookings and if you are outside the penalty period with an FCD you could cancel and rebook but you might lose your OBC plus your cabin assigned.....i got one booked in november and i was going to lose my OBC plus cabin to gain $35 and it wasnt worth it

Chez if the cruise drops in price you have to be careful wanting it refared and most times its for new bookings and if you are outside the penalty period with an FCD you could cancel and rebook but you might lose your OBC plus your cabin assigned.....i got one booked in november and i was going to lose my OBC plus cabin to gain $35 and it wasnt worth it

Thanks Bob, I uderstand all that, refaring under different promotions etc but I have never lost my OBC attached to my FCD when doing so. It has moved with it.

Perhaps I read Mic's post wrong, but I thought he was referring to the benefits that go with a FCD, which is the OBC.

Thanks Bob, I uderstand all that, refaring under different promotions etc but I have never lost my OBC attached to my FCD when doing so. It has moved with it.

Perhaps I read Mic's post wrong, but I thought he was referring to the benefits that go with a FCD, which is the OBC.

I've never lost the OBC attached to the FCD when I have cancelled either, I just had to cancel a Japan cruise last week and it is all back on my Princess account. When I cancelled another cruise last year my FCD was over the 2 year limit and they just sent me a cheque for the $100. She did let me know that that would happen when I was on the phone cancelling.

I've never lost the OBC attached to the FCD when I have cancelled either, I just had to cancel a Japan cruise last week and it is all back on my Princess account. When I cancelled another cruise last year my FCD was over the 2 year limit and they just sent me a cheque for the $100. She did let me know that that would happen when I was on the phone cancelling.

Exactly what happened with ours.

Without turning this into a Princess FCD thread......are you out there Mic and can you clarify if this is the case now?

When did this start Mic?

I am not sure if it has started yet or will soon. I had read it somewhere here, just trying to find it. Perhaps it was just the cruise being cancelled and rebooked (price drop) where the OBC and such is lost. Anyway, I will keep looking.:D

Not sure now if it was due to refaring and/or if rebooking another cruise. Will try and find out.

Next we will see is Princess charging $5 for a bag of Popcorn at MUTS, $5 for the deck chair and $5 for the Rug to keep one warm at MUTS.:evilsmile:

Charging for the show on P&O Australia is saying ...'User Pay.' They don't want to pay the entertainers from the pot.:')

Carnival Corp is really pulling the purse strings these days. On P&O UK they charge for some menu items for cabin service.

Many pax will pay these extra charges though. Just look how many patronise the cover charge restaurants on the ships. Some eat there every night @ $30 or $40 a cover. Not this little black duck and duckess, already paid the freight to get on board.

Next we will see is Princess charging $5 for a bag of Popcorn at MUTS, $5 for the deck chair and $5 for the Rug to keep one warm at MUTS.:evilsmile:

Charging for the show on P&O Australia is saying ...'User Pay.' They don't want to pay the entertainers from the pot.:')

Carnival Corp is really pulling the purse strings these days. On P&O UK they charge for some menu items for cabin service.

Many pax will pay these extra charges though. Just look how many patronise the cover charge restaurants on the ships. Some eat there every night @ $30 or $40 a cover. Not this little black duck and duckess, already paid the freight to get on board.

The entertainers doing this new show would have to be their usual group of singers/dancers who do the other shows. They are paid a monthly salary. I don't know why P&O would find it necessary to charge for one particular show. I wonder if it has special effects or great costumes etc.

I would probably find it easier to understand (although I would hate it) if they charged for people to go to a show put on by a guest entertainer.

The article -

One of the shows on Pacific Explorer will cost from $15 to $29 per person. P&O has confirmed to Cruise Critic that ‘Love Riot’, an adults-only cabaret held in the line’s new Black Circus supper club, will incur these cover charges.

"$15 is general admission and includes a complimentary cocktail and souvenir glass. $29 is VIP and includes dinner, a complimentary cocktail and souvenir glass," a company spokesperson clarified by email this afternoon.

It is understood to be the first time an Australian ship has charged passengers for onboard entertainment. All other shows in the Marquee on P&O ships are included in cruise fares.

'Love Riot' was created by internationally acclaimed producer Scott Maidment exclusively for Pacific Explorer, which launches next week on 22 June.

The entertainers doing this new show would have to be their usual group of singers/dancers who do the other shows. They are paid a monthly salary. I don't know why P&O would find it necessary to charge for one particular show. I wonder if it has special effects or great costumes etc.

I would probably find it easier to understand (although I would hate it) if they charged for people to go to a show put on by a guest entertainer.

As the article states, the one show is an adults only cabaret show that includes a drink and souvenir glass for $15. And with dinner included for the $29.

The charge is for these items and to also make sure that only the people willing to pay will go (i.e tragedy of the commons theory) as seating is limited being in what was the Vista Lounge.

LOL, they may indeed Uncle Les, it may not happen this year but it may well happen.