Fee to see Show

An enormous amount of comment on an unknown product. Provided the show was of high quality to me $29 fo Dinner,Cocktail and souvenir glass in an adults only environment is good value. Even our local charges $ $25-$45 for main auditorium entertainment with no Dinner or drink.Most cruise lines have extra fee restaurants or activities but there is little comment about these being a dollar gouge. After all these extra cost options are just that optional they are not compulsory.

An enormous amount of comment on an unknown product. Provided the show was of high quality to me $29 fo Dinner,Cocktail and souvenir glass in an adults only environment is good value. Even our local charges $ $25-$45 for main auditorium entertainment with no Dinner or drink.Most cruise lines have extra fee restaurants or activities but there is little comment about these being a dollar gouge. After all these extra cost options are just that optional they are not compulsory.

Can I ask how many years you have been cruising?

The reason I ask this is because if you have been cruising for at least 15 years or more you may remember a time when there were shows of much better quality than we have today that was always part of the fare.

Cruising was never about segregation in the modern generation of ships where people pay extra for "good quality" only a fool would pay extra for good quality because it encourages cruise lines to take away products and services that were once part of the fare and then bring them back with an extra cost attached to them. To me this is an abomination. The reason we are seeing fees to see a show if because there is a sucker born every minute and P&O Australia know how to milk these fools of their money.

You say all of these options are just options and not compulsory. Well if you have that attitude one day you will go on a ship and spend the entire time in the cabin because you will find you have to pay to see all the shows, pay to see the movies, pay for all meals, pay for all entertainment. This may be the direction you want cruising to go, but I can assure you I do not want to see cruising go in that direction at all. Perhaps you will pay money to use a deck chair. After all a deck chair is not compulsory either and it is optional if you choose to lay down on them.

The reason I ask this is because if you have been cruising for at least 15 years or more you may remember a time when there were shows of much better quality than we have today that was always part of the fare.

Cruising was never about segregation in the modern generation of ships where people pay extra for "good quality" only a fool would pay extra for good quality because it encourages cruise lines to take away products and services that were once part of the fare and then bring them back with an extra cost attached to them. To me this is an abomination. The reason we are seeing fees to see a show if because there is a sucker born every minute and P&O Australia know how to milk these fools of their money.

You say all of these options are just options and not compulsory. Well if you have that attitude one day you will go on a ship and spend the entire time in the cabin because you will find you have to pay to see all the shows, pay to see the movies, pay for all meals, pay for all entertainment. This may be the direction you want cruising to go, but I can assure you I do not want to see cruising go in that direction at all. Perhaps you will pay money to use a deck chair. After all a deck chair is not compulsory either and it is optional if you choose to lay down on them.

I agree P & O may find that a lot of their customers like cruising mainly because they pay there upfront fare and all those items which they feel should be part of the cruise are included.

Hopefully other lines will attract them away from P & O and they will realise extra charges are not the way to go.:)

I agree P & O may find that a lot of their customers like cruising mainly because they pay there upfront fare and all those items which they feel should be part of the cruise are included.

Hopefully other lines will attract them away from P & O and they will realise extra charges are not the way to go.:)

That is exactly as I see it too. What people do not realise is when they say they are happy to pay a fee to do something if it is good, well this opens the door to and encourages cruise lines to add a fee for everything and before we know it cruises will no longer be all inclusive.

I have much more opinions on the issue that I do not have time to write. My beliefs are very strong that extra fees are bad for cruising and nothing will change my mind from that. I will boycott all lines that charge an extra fee for any form of entertainment.

I'll soon be able to comment on the quality of the food that is with the show. As previously stated by another poster most cruise lines have fee paying restaurants , with this you get a show thrown in [emoji1]

But I'll reserve making judgements until I try it. I find I can't pass judgement and comment on something unless I have experienced it .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll soon be able to comment on the quality of the food that is with the show. As previously stated by another poster most cruise lines have fee paying restaurants , with this you get a show thrown in [emoji1]

But I'll reserve making judgements until I try it. I find I can't pass judgement and comment on something unless I have experienced it .

I agree and I look forward to your review.

P&O are not the first to do this, many other lines also do it namely NCL with spiegal tent (dinner and show) and Royal (breakfast and show) in Australian waters as well. I think only a fool would discredit something they haven't experienced just because they don't want to.

Charging for deck chairs would be good, may stop those chair hogs.

That is exactly as I see it too. What people do not realise is when they say they are happy to pay a fee to do something if it is good, well this opens the door to and encourages cruise lines to add a fee for everything and before we know it cruises will no longer be all inclusive.

I have much more opinions on the issue that I do not have time to write. My beliefs are very strong that extra fees are bad for cruising and nothing will change my mind from that. I will boycott all lines that charge an extra fee for any form of entertainment.

When did you last cruise P&O (Aust)?

I didn't think you cruise with them (from previous posts), so I don't know why you are so concerned with what they do.

My first cruise was on board SS Canberra in 1986 and is still my favourite cruise with incredible service entertainment and. food all included in the fare. My wife and I cruise regularly with our last cruise in April of this year our next on Golden Princess this September and Diamond Princess in March next Year. I have seen the introduction of speciality restaurants on board various cruise lines , the introduction of adventure activities , the introduction of Art Auctions , the introduction of spa and beauty treatments all available for a fee . These boards have numerous threads commenting on how good or bad these non included options are so people are obviously using them. The show that is being discussed in this thread is NOT a replacement for the traditional main theatre entertainment, and to my knowledge has not been advertised as such. I believe that any business will endeavour to maximise it's profits but will only be successful if the paying public accepts it is value for money. Cruise lines are no different. In the 31 Years I have been cruising I have managed to withstand these so called abominations. I cannot recall any service that has been taken away and then returned as pay extra service.

On the Canberra there were no extras except for drinks and shore excursions on my last cruise the same applied with excellent entertainment every night and that was on a P & O Aust ship.

Cruising now provides a far greater range of ships, destinations and particularly prices than our introduction to cruising 31 years ago. I unlike yourself I do not see the demise of traditional inclusive food and entertainment and I almost forgot free deck chairs.

Perhaps you will pay money to use a deck chair. After all a deck chair is not compulsory either and it is optional if you choose to lay down on them.

I recall reading somewhere that people did pay a fee to reserve a deck chair on cruises in the past.

And Princess essentially do that with the Sanctuary. You pay extra to book a super-comfortable deck chair instead of fighting with the chair hogs for one. ;p

I recall reading somewhere that people did pay a fee to reserve a deck chair on cruises in the past.

And Princess essentially do that with the Sanctuary. You pay extra to book a super-comfortable deck chair instead of fighting with the chair hogs for one. ;p

Celebrity have their cabanas for hire up on the lawn now too.

Celebrity have their cabanas for hire up on the lawn now too.

I am sure Princess hire cabanas on the Regal/Royal too.

A friend knows people onboard at P&O, they want to create an upmarket Cabaret type atmosphere.

I am sure the lovely ex Vista lounge will be available during the day for other activities when the paid shows are not happening. The regular shows will still be in their showlounge/Marque

To be honest, we can go on a cruise and not pay for any extras, other than a few drinks, we don't play bingo, buy much, are usually happy with the MDR food etc.

My main issue with P&O is the pay extra for burgers, room service, just the little things that are convenient.

I am sure Princess hire cabanas on the Regal/Royal too.

A friend knows people onboard at P&O, they want to create an upmarket Cabaret type atmosphere.

I am sure the lovely ex Vista lounge will be available during the day for other activities when the paid shows are not happening. The regular shows will still be in their showlounge/Marque

To be honest, we can go on a cruise and not pay for any extras, other than a few drinks, we don't play bingo, buy much, are usually happy with the MDR food etc.

My main issue with P&O is the pay extra for burgers, room service, just the little things that are convenient.

I must say that most of our on board spending is drink or food related such as drinks, wine tastings, high tea or specialty restaurants.

When did you last cruise P&O (Aust)?

I didn't think you cruise with them (from previous posts), so I don't know why you are so concerned with what they do.

I imagine they are concerned about what P&O are doing as the other lines watch very carefully when something like this is introduced to gauge whether the market will accept or resist the change. If people accept it the other lines soon follow suit.

I imagine they are concerned about what P&O are doing as the other lines watch very carefully when something like this is introduced to gauge whether the market will accept or resist the change. If people accept it the other lines soon follow suit.

But it is P&O following suit, other lines already do these things.

On the Explorer you still have 4 dining options included, The Waterfront, Dragon Lady, Angelo's and The Pantry, is that not enough free options. If they choose to add other options at a price great as long as the included options don't change.

I only cruise P & 0 when the the price is right usually around $60 a night for Oceanview or better, as long as I continue to find some good bargains I'll continue.

Charging for deck chairs would be good, may stop those chair hogs.

Lol.

Reading past the few posts, I don't really have a problem with many for fee added things in Cruising these days. I did my first cruise on the old 26,000tn Fair Princess back in 1999, had a ball at the time and didn't know any different. These days I'd choose a qantum or oasis class ship any day. I like that the new ships still offer many things for free but I also like that there are other options too. We are all so different and like different things. Eg, All inclusive style cruising isn't really for me. Due to illness I also tend to spend a lot of time in my stateroom. For me it's not just a cabin to sleep in. If price allows I much prefer a modern balcony room, with Large format TV's and nice modern décor and amenities. I can't drink much so prefer to pay for drinks as I go. On ships with great buffets, eg Celebrity solstice class I often prefer the range of food in the buffet over the mdr. I don't mind paying for a specialty restaurant here and there. I like watching the main free shows, but I would consider paying for something a little extra different to the norm. I don't care for trivia or bingo, would rather be out on deck enjoying the view and fresh air and chatting to others.

I think cruising is heading in a way that it is trying to appeal to a greater audience, people who are prepared to spend a lot of money as well as still cater to those who don't.

Lol.

Reading past the few posts, I don't really have a problem with many for fee added things in Cruising these days. I did my first cruise on the old 26,000tn Fair Princess back in 1999, had a ball at the time and didn't know any different. These days I'd choose a qantum or oasis class ship any day. I like that the new ships still offer many things for free but I also like that there are other options too. We are all so different and like different things. Eg, All inclusive style cruising isn't really for me. Due to illness I also tend to spend a lot of time in my stateroom. For me it's not just a cabin to sleep in. If price allows I much prefer a modern balcony room, with Large format TV's and nice modern décor and amenities. I can't drink much so prefer to pay for drinks as I go. On ships with great buffets, eg Celebrity solstice class I often prefer the range of food in the buffet over the mdr. I don't mind paying for a specialty restaurant here and there. I like watching the main free shows, but I would consider paying for something a little extra different to the norm. I don't care for trivia or bingo, would rather be out on deck enjoying the view and fresh air and chatting to others.

I think cruising is heading in a way that it is trying to appeal to a greater audience, people who are prepared to spend a lot of money as well as still cater to those who don't.

Good post and I agree, that they are trying to appeal to a much larger range of people by providing many options and differing experiences.

I cannot recall any service that has been taken away and then returned as pay extra service.

I can tell you one straight away with Princess. The Sterling Steak House. It was once for free and part of the any time dining style and then it was taken away and a fee added!

As far as other posts are concerned, I personally think it is rather foolish to try something before judging it. If you cannot judge something in advance and determine that it is not for you, it just proves that you lack insight, intuition and the ability to make judgement calls.

It is abundantly clear that the new show will not feature anything that has never been shown on a cruise ship before. I am very confident that I have seen better shows than what this new one is that P&O will be presenting.

I also note that Princess is also coming out with new show structures and I find them rather mediocre and below par than what some earlier shows used to be.