Driving from Philly to NYC cruise terminal . . .

lmintzer

Thank you...... this package and what I read is aligned. Just got off the phone with the hotel and confirmed:

1) hotel arranges the car service

2) hotel adds the cost of the car service to your hotel cost

3) hotel does not offer complimentary shuttle

We took a greyhound from philly and a cab to the NY port. It was easy.

Another option is to take the river line in NJ to Trenton and then walk across the street and take NJ Transit line to Penn Station in NY and then a cab. You can park for free at the Pennsauken station adjacent to RT 73.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Thank you...... this package and what I read is aligned. Just got off the phone with the hotel and confirmed:

1) hotel arranges the car service

2) hotel adds the cost of the car service to your hotel cost

3) hotel does not offer complimentary shuttle

For a midweek stay (349) plus tax and then roundtrip car service, it would be well over 500. Not a bargain at all.

Another option is to take the river line in NJ to Trenton and then walk across the street and take NJ Transit line to Penn Station in NY and then a cab. You can park for free at the Pennsauken station adjacent to RT 73.

That sounds like too much luggage handling. Fellowship Road is not far from River Line and you put your luggage in bottom of bus and next handling is a very short cab ride to the port. Parking is also free at Greyhound terminal. The important thing is not how to get there but we're all lucky enough to be going on a cruise. Have fun.

Is the car okay for a week at either Mt Laurel Greyhound or the Riverline? I've never left mine there overnight- I usually drive up to Hamilton and park in the garage there.

A few years ago I left mine at the Pennsauken river line lot to take a 4 day cruise to Canada. No problem, no ticket, no damage.

We met a couple on our last cruise who live in the Allentown area ,They said they drive to an area near Philly ,leave their car at the site and take a bus to the Manhattan cruise pier.They said it was free for the first 3 days to park their car and $5 a night for every day thereafter .

We met a couple on our last cruise who live in the Allentown area ,They said they drive to an area near Philly ,leave their car at the site and take a bus to the Manhattan cruise pier.They said it was free for the first 3 days to park their car and $5 a night for every day thereafter .

It's obvious that the Allentown couple does not know about Transbridge in Bethlehem, which is closer to them and provides free parking.

Is the car okay for a week at either Mt Laurel Greyhound or the Riverline? I've never left mine there overnight- I usually drive up to Hamilton and park in the garage there.

It's a very safe area alongside a large hotel. We've done it so many times with no problem. Have fun.

I realize you're probably determined to drive to the pier and pay the $40/day parking + tolls along the way ...BUT... just in case you're open to suggestions.... Drive to Wescosville PA, park the car for free, and take the (click-->) Bieber Bus to the NYC Port Authority Bus Terminal. It's a short walk from there (if you haven't over packed, our --> luggage) or you can take a cab. Bus fare is $52/pp round trip. We're coming up from Lancaster and catch the bus in Kutztown PA after stopping for breakfast at the diner up the street. Just an idea....

I realize you're probably determined to drive to the pier and pay the $40/day parking + tolls along the way ...BUT... just in case you're open to suggestions.... Drive to Wescosville PA, park the car for free, and take the (click-->) Bieber Bus to the NYC Port Authority Bus Terminal. It's a short walk from there (if you haven't over packed, our --> luggage) or you can take a cab. Bus fare is $52/pp round trip. We're coming up from Lancaster and catch the bus in Kutztown PA after stopping for breakfast at the diner up the street. Just an idea....

Why not just take the Transbridge bus in Bethlehem that drops you off right at the pier? Wescosville is in Lehigh county which isn't that far away and you don't have the hassle of dragging your bags through NYC or the additional cost of a taxi.

Why not just take the Transbridge bus in Bethlehem that drops you off right at the pier? Wescosville is in Lehigh county which isn't that far away and you don't have the hassle of dragging your bags through NYC or the additional cost of a taxi.

We've looked into Transbridge which actually runs a trip to the pier and is a little cheaper. The Bieber Bus, however, is closer for us (no driving Rt 22), no reservations needed, and trips into the city on weekdays are every 1/2 hour (2 hours on weekends).

We live in RI so it is also an easy drive in, however we decided to stay at a hotel close by. We are staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park. They have a Park, Stay, and Cruise rate where they let you park your car for the duration of the cruise at the hotel and they shuttle you to and from the terminal all included in the rate. It is slightly more for that than to just park at the pier and includes the hotel stay the night before. It is only about 10-15 minutes away from the terminal as well so it will make it easy to get there early. A few people on my role call are staying there. Others have stayed as well. There is another thread about parking options in NY that was from today that talks about this as well.

I live in northern NJ and I can assure you that it will take WAY MORE than 10-15 minutes to get to the pier from Ridgefield Park. If you're taking the GWB, the drive from the bridge down the West SIde Highway alone will be that long without traffic -- and even on a weekend morning there is always traffic. And if you're taking the Lincoln Tunnel, again, the helix to the tolls and then the tunnel itself alone will be longer than 10-15 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I live in northern NJ and I can assure you that it will take WAY MORE than 10-15 minutes to get to the pier from Ridgefield Park. If you're taking the GWB, the drive from the bridge down the West SIde Highway alone will be that long without traffic -- and even on a weekend morning there is always traffic. And if you're taking the Lincoln Tunnel, again, the helix to the tolls and then the tunnel itself alone will be longer than 10-15 minutes

I must have googled the wrong hotel when I looked for directions. It does say now that it is like 26 minutes. I am sure that is without traffic, but I will not be dealing with that traffic when driving to the pier, but of course will be going to and from the hotel. Since the cost is almost the same for staying and parking at the hotel as it is driving in the morning of and parking at the pier I will probably still choose the hotel. Makes it so that I dont need to start my vacation off waking up at like 6am and driving into the city. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I will be up at 6am anyway but at least I'll be able to relax in bed for a while longer. IF the hotel cost over $100 more than just parking at the pier I'd probably have a different opinion.

Thinking I will probably drive in and park at the pier for our July cruise. The driving distance is, theoretically, only 2 hours. I hate driving in NYC--have only done it once--but it looks like a pretty short distance after exiting the Lincoln Tunnel.

I know there can always be traffic. Thinking of leaving at 7:15 a.m. or so. We will be staying in the Haven, so I would like to get there in time to beat the crowds and board as early as possible.

Any suggestions the trip in as easy as possible? With the Lincoln Tunnel, don't doesn't the lane you enter affect where what street you can exit on to?

One tip I can give you is to avoid the right lanes going into the tunnel....if you are in the right lane lane of the south tube, when traffic backs up in Manhattan, they often will block the uptown (northbound) exit from that lane, and will force you to detour downtown (to at least 36th Street, before you can then turn towards uptown. It may not happen that early, but it could, so try to stay to the left before passing the toll booth's. The left lane of the south tube is usually okay, and the center tube lanes are always okay to go uptown....

Take the right lane in the center tube, follow the signs for 42nd St and make a left at the T which is the parking garage. Stay in the right lane and make a right onto 10th Ave. Stay in left lane and make a left onto 55th St. Once on 55th, there are 3 lanes, two go to the right and one goes to the left at 12th Ave. Be in the left lane and then while making your turn, stay in the Riverside or right lane which will enable you to immediately go towards the parking ramp.

If you follow these directions, you will avoid 12th Ave back up while people try to make the U-turn into the port parking and drop off area. Once at the ramp, go to the left to take it upstairs to park.

I'm following this!!! I love the ideas! I'm from Philadelphia also (for those in Allentown/Quakertown area) I'm at the bottom of rt. 309. I'm curious as to how we are getting to the pier. I don't want to spend $40/day. That's $280. And even if that were split by 3 people, it's still about $82pp. The idea of driving to Bethlehem is a thought.

So is the Greyhound from Mt. Laurel.

Bethlehem is only 40 miles north of Philadelphia taking rt. 309, about 45/50 minutes depending on the time of the day. The Trans Bridge bus seems appealing. How often does it run? Is it reliable? What about the return trip? How does that work? I'm sure on cruise day, there will be other cruises on the bus right?

Newbie from cruising from NY

I'm following this!!! I love the ideas! I'm from Philadelphia also (for those in Allentown/Quakertown area) I'm at the bottom of rt. 309. I'm curious as to how we are getting to the pier. I don't want to spend $40/day. That's $280. And even if that were split by 3 people, it's still about $82pp. The idea of driving to Bethlehem is a thought.

Bethlehem is only 40 miles north of Philadelphia taking rt. 309, about 45/50 minutes depending on the time of the day. The Trans Bridge bus seems appealing. How often does it run? Is it reliable? What about the return trip? How does that work? I'm sure on cruise day, there will be other cruises on the bus right?

I just google mapped it, 1 1/4 hours from Philadelphia to bethlaham, you are adding an additional hour, it's 1 3/4 hours from Philadelphia to the cruise terminal. Plus you have to factor in bus fare, getting to the bus early enough not to miss it.

I just google mapped it, 1 1/4 hours from Philadelphia to bethlaham, you are adding an additional hour, it's 1 3/4 hours from Philadelphia to the cruise terminal. Plus you have to factor in bus fare, getting to the bus early enough not to miss it.

I hear you! I'm right there at rt. 309. A quick left and a right, and I'm 309 north.

We might choose the bus to avoid driving in NY traffic. Plus we can relax and let someone else do the work!!

I live in the Lehigh Valley and use the bus. This website has information.

There are separate busses for NYC and Bayonne. The bus to the NYC pier also carries regular passengers to NYC and will stop at Port Authority first to drop them off. If enough people reserve for the piers, I imagine it will be a separate bus. I guess it is possible that multiple cruises from NYC will be on the bus and you will be dropped off at the appropriate pier. They are quite reliable, I recommend that you get off the ship early as insurance against customs delays.

http://www.transbridgelines.com/bayonne-manhattan-piers.html