Cuba Cruise - What happens?

tx121

In a nut shell.........

Is authorized travel by cruise ship or passenger vessel to Cuba impacted by the new Cuba policy?

Persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction will still be able to engage in authorized travel to Cuba by cruise ship or passenger vessel.

Following the issuance of OFAC’s regulatory changes, travel-related transactions with prohibited entities identified by the State Department generally will not be permitted. Guidance will accompany the issuance of the new regulations.

Huh? :confused: So people get on an inner tube and attempt to paddle 90 miles to freedom just for fun? Over 10,000 migrants were interdicted in 2016 by the USCG, some of who even stabbed or shot themselves, drank gasoline or bleach, etc, to force US landfall. Somehow, I think their lives were not "quite the opposite" from oppressed.

No no no, local Cuban tour guides would never say such a thing or show the real side of Cuba to the naive foreign tourist off a cruise ship. In fact, everything is fine and dandy in the workers paradise island. Always has been under the Comandante's leadership. Cuban cigars señor? How bout some revolutionary brand rum or Che Guevara size 10 T? You buy now.

I just read the treasury.gov/resource ... 4 page document, which looks like it was just updated very very recently...and it sounds like it will be difficult to travel to Cuba... has to be consistent with OFAC's regulations as of June 16, 2017 !!!!!

I just read the treasury.gov/resource ... 4 page document, which looks like it was just updated very very recently...and it sounds like it will be difficult to travel to Cuba... has to be consistent with OFAC's regulations as of June 16, 2017 !!!!!

Per Bullet #4, if you already paid for any part of your trip, you won't be affected. You can still use the people-to-people license to travel on your own in Cuba.

It's only going to affect new bookings. And even then, you'll still be able to travel on the cruise ship, but will have to take an organized tour rather than self-explore.

Per Bullet #4, if you already paid for any part of your trip, you won't be affected. You can still use the people-to-people license to travel on your own in Cuba.

It's only going to affect new bookings. And even then, you'll still be able to travel on the cruise ship, but will have to take an organized tour rather than self-explore.

When you say "organized tour". do you mean ship's tour or privately arranged tour with a local business in Havana?

When you say "organized tour". do you mean ship's tour or privately arranged tour with a local business in Havana?

They haven't clarified that yet. Those regs will be issued in the coming months.

But again, per the Treasury dept, it will only impact those who haven't paid anything related to their trip before 6/16/17 (today). And it will only impact those that wanted to self certify people-to-people.

It will be interesting to see how Norwegian goes about enforcing this, or if they leave it up to the cruise passenger.

Always a huge dichotomy between those who tout the US party line (it's a cesspool) who have never set foot on the island and those who have a different view who have actually been there. Pretty easy to be an arm chair arbitrator of conditions when you've never been to a location.

I have. And it is not a paradise by any means (although the resorts are better than many in the Caribbean) but nothing like the lies that you frequently see here. And yet, strangely, no push back from these arbitrators on China, Russia and dozens of other left- and right-wing regimes committing human rights abuses--and atrocities.

And now, unfortunately, I will not be able to return since I prefer to do things on my own and will not spend my time there in organized group tours, ship or otherwise.

I second that emotion.

Cuba is unique in that the ruling military owns the tour and travel industry, so visitors to Cuba directly finance the oppression and imprisonment of the Cuban People.

I stayed at a Melia Resort in Cuba. Melia is the Spanish Hotel chain. So some of those visitors' money is going to the capitalist shareholders of Melia and the Spanish management at Melia Head Office. And there are lots of other, mainly European, hotel chains there. So I don't know where you got that 'fact' about the military owning the whole tour and tourism industry from. Did someone Tweet it? ;)

And no I didn't break any laws by visiting Cuba, not once, but twice. The place is absolutely crawling with Canucks like me and Brits, and Germans, and Spanish, and Brazilians and...........

This was forwarded to me today. Not sure if it's been shared on the forums yet. My apologies if it has.

spacer.gifnews_release.jpgspacer.gif

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. Response to Trump Administration announcement about Cuba

June 16, 2017

Based on the information shared today, we are very pleased to learn the news that cruises to Cuba will continue under the new guidelines laid out by the Administration. All of our cruises to, and shore excursions in, Cuba are in full compliance with regulations set forth by the US Department of the Treasury, Office of Foreign Assets Control ("OFAC"), and we will work with the Administration to comply with any changes to those and any other regulations that will result from its decision. We are also pleased that education travel and travel that supports the Cuban people will continue.

We were very concerned about any potential changes, given how popular Cuba itineraries have proven to be with our guests, and we view this as a win for the cruise industry, our valued guests and travel partners. Across our three brands, there are 70,000 guests booked to sail to Cuba who would have been very disappointed if they were unable to experience this spectacular destination. We are delighted our guests will continue to have the opportunity to experience the wonderful culture and incredible history of Cuba along with the warmth and friendliness of the Cuban people through OFAC-compliant shore excursions that support private businesses and the Cuban people, an opportunity that was restricted for over fifty years.

Edited by stevejco

I've been to Cuba many times. Beautiful country with beautiful people. I'll never understand the hostility toward Cuba, and why it is singled out.

It's interesting that you are from New Brunswick and ask that question as many British Loyalists, who left the 13 colonies and had their assets confiscated by the winning Patriots (Americans), settled in New Brunswick. I'm sure they were not too happy with the Americans for a couple of generations.

There are other Cuba specific issues but never count out $$$ lost by the losing side in a revolution.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cuba_faqs_20170616.pdf

Directly from the Treasury Dept.

Number #4 and #12 probably most important.

Thank you pitt2phila for all your helpful posts yesterday and today about the impact to those of us booked on cruises. Have a wonderful trip next week and we'd love to hear any updates you hear about.

It's interesting that you are from New Brunswick and ask that question as many British Loyalists, who left the 13 colonies and had their assets confiscated by the winning Patriots (Americans), settled in New Brunswick. I'm sure they were not too happy with the Americans for a couple of generations.

There are other Cuba specific issues but never count out $$$ lost by the losing side in a revolution.

Good point! I just think so many people forget history and think that this hostility was a result of the missile crisis. The fact that you mention "assets confiscated" shows you know your history.

Cheers!

Please,if it is not too difficult.

1 - This is not the forum for political discussions. The concerns for humanity are appreciated, but this is not the place for it.

2 - The actual rules are still somewhat in flux. Feds have a few months to clarify. Chill.

We have already made our trip, and found the people wuite friendly. The one thing I heard on a news broadcast was that the visa process will become more complicated than just paying the cruise line to obtain it for you.

Edited by Raring to go
spelling

Well, China is textbook communist. According to a Google search, 2 million plus Americans visited China last year spending gobbles of $$$. Why pick on little old Cuba? Twenty-First century perspective is needed. I am glad that Americans who still want to cruise to Cuba will be able to do so.

Guess there won't be any fire sales of empty cabins for naysayers in Miami-Dade County.

While the murderer Mao was alive, we did not have tourism in China.

While the murderer Castro is alive, we should not have tourism in Cuba.

Gotta love the politics of cruising. Those who would not cruise to Cuba must have a short list worldwide. If you book a Baltic cruise, you are supporting the Russian thugocracy which hacks elections, sizes Crimea and Eastern Ukraine, murders opposition. Thankfully the Med cruises no longer stop in Turkey, hate to benefit "bodyguards" who attack peaceful American protesters right in DC. And avoid the Sun stopping in Manta, Ecuador, the government hiding an international terrorist in their embassy.

Gotta love the politics of cruising. Those who would not cruise to Cuba must have a short list worldwide. .

All the more reason to cruise Alaska and Hawaii. Keep the dollars and American jobs at home.