Step daughter's passport

So my goofy daughter ( dh's daughter) renewed her passport ( she's 19) and goofy girl puts Lisa Marie as her first name ( just using that name as an example). When it should read given name Lisa

Middle name Marie

Her old one was correct so not sure why they didn't question it. Bottom line do I just call Royal and change the name on the reservation to Lisa Marie with no middle name? I haven't filled out her info on the inline check in yet. But I know the reservation needs to match the passport

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

I have found the cruise lines don' pay attention to middle names. My Pass Port showed my middle name but the booking was shown as Betty Smith ( example ) Airlines are stricter. When I did my Online Check In, I showed my name as requested First Betty, Middle Jean, Last Smith ( Example ) I showed a Middle Initial because that is how my DL & Pass port are

Yes, the first and last name on the passport should match the first and last name on the reservation. The cruise line does not care if the middle name does not match.

When is the cruise? If it's coming up really soon I'd just use it, but if it's a few months away I would contact them and send it back.

When I filled out my dad's passport information for him I wrote "Allen" instead of "Alan."

We called and sent it back in for changes and received it back corrected in about a month. There was no fee for this either.

whatever will bewilder me

So my goofy daughter ( dh's daughter) renewed her passport ( she's 19) and goofy girl puts Lisa Marie as her first name ( just using that name as an example). When it should read given name Lisa

Middle name Marie

Her old one was correct so not sure why they didn't question it. Bottom line do I just call Royal and change the name on the reservation to Lisa Marie with no middle name? I haven't filled out her info on the inline check in yet. But I know the reservation needs to match the passport

You can send it back and have it corrected. If your cruise is too soon, I would just change the name on her cruise reservation and correct it when you get back. Here is a link that tells you what she needs to do.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/services/correction.html

If you are flying then the middle name is a bigger deal since you are dealing with TSA rules. Airlines can be difficult about making a simple name change so follow up on that part as well. DW did not want to use her middle name on her new passport and I found out that it was optional but since her old passport was linked to her Global Entry with her middle name dropping the middle name from her new passport would require a visit to the Global Entry office to make the change but just updating her passport number could be done on line.

When I filled out my dad's passport information for him I wrote "Allen" instead of "Alan."

Lol..you bewildered me...:rolleyes:

I am curious as to why you didnt know how your Fathers name was spelt.. If you filled it out for him, you had obviously had him in your life for quite a while...;)

I am curious as to why you didnt know how your Fathers name was spelt.. If you filled it out for him, you had obviously had him in your life for quite a while...;)

Haha, yeah it is something I should have known, but to be fair I had never seen his full name spelled out for reference and knew two friends with that name and the used the spelling I originally used. I probably should have asked, but in the end it didn't matter.

Here is what has worked for me. I have one of those double names (although I can't tell if you daughter likes to be called both or not). Mine is not Mary Ann, but is one of those kind: officially a first and middle name but used as a first. After years of name tags reading "Mary", which drives me nuts and I don't recognize, I just started putting first + middle in the first name section - EVERWHERE (including passport, hotels, all airlines etc). Now everything matches and no one gives me a hard time about it, every calls me the right name and all is peaceful!

Thanks all! Cruise is at end of August . I'll just switch it on reservation. What she did was instead of putting first name middle name last name. She put first and middle as if Lisa Marie was her full first name then last name where it should be. Not really a big deal as her dad calls her " Lisa Marie" not "Lisa" . Oh well . Not sure what is on her driver's license.

Your name on ship manifest must match the name on your passport. I was held up when disembarking from a cruise because Celebrity did not have my name correct on manifest. Took about 30 minutes for agent to allow me to go.

I legally changed my name as I too got tired of being called Mary when no one who knew me called be by that name. I changed it to M and then include my middle name as my first name. That is what is on my passport.

Thanks all! Cruise is at end of August . I'll just switch it on reservation. What she did was instead of putting first name middle name last name. She put first and middle as if Lisa Marie was her full first name then last name where it should be. Not really a big deal as her dad calls her " Lisa Marie" not "Lisa" . Oh well . Not sure what is on her driver's license.

I think what will matter for her most over time is what she likes to be called (dad, friends, flight attendants, cruise staff, etc) and to start being consistant on documents. If her dad is the only one who calls her Lisa Marie then she doesn't need to worry about anything exceot making sure she puts her names in the right places on the forms! I thought she wanted to be called Lisa Marie by all (like I do).

No it's just the first time she did this herself and I suppose she just absent mindedly put the name without paying attention to the spaces. I do it on forms that have last name first all the time but thats a little different. On forms this important I've learned to pay attention she will too eventually.

This same philosophy applies to:

She leaned in to him. (American)

She leant in at him. (British)

It smelled burned. (A)

It smelt burnt. (B)

That has been proven correct. (A)

That has been proved correct. (B)

I'm not an expert on British English, but I have a bunch of Brit buddies and these are just a few I picked up on over the years.

Unless things have changed very recently, US passports only have two lines for the name: one for the last name, and one for all given names (first and middle).

You are correct I found an extra application.

Although on the actual passort mine has me listed with surname , given name and middle name. However on hers it has her given name and middle name as one. Oh well . Maybe it makes no differance as long as her name matches. Air line only has first and last and her lisence has first and middle inital. I'm just a nervous nelly. I'm always worried something will go wrong until I'm actually ON the ship.

af23d46868519b8cc0d5ec798bdca68f.jpg

Here's a story for you: When my grandfather died, my grandmother had to obtain a copy of his birth certificate (he'd never had one in the house), and she was shocked to learn that the name she'd called him all those years wasn't his name at all! Yeah, the name by which everyone knew him was on his driver's license, his marriage certificate, his mortgage ... everything.

Our best guess is that back when he was getting his first driver's license, he said, "My name is ___" and he considered that a legal name change. Or maybe his parents regretted their original choice and just started calling him by the other name. Of course that'd never fly today -- legally, I mean.

I wish we could know the truth of the whole story, but there's no one left whom we can ask.

OP, someone in my family also has a space in their first name. We have not experienced any errors on ID's, titles, etc., if a middle name (or middle initial - if permitted) is listed on applications. Hopefully this information will come in handy for your daughter in the future. :)

Here's a story for you: When my grandfather died, my grandmother had to obtain a copy of his birth certificate (he'd never had one in the house), and she was shocked to learn that the name she'd called him all those years wasn't his name at all! Yeah, the name by which everyone knew him was on his driver's license, his marriage certificate, his mortgage ... everything.

Our best guess is that back when he was getting his first driver's license, he said, "My name is ___" and he considered that a legal name change. Or maybe his parents regretted their original choice and just started calling him by the other name. Of course that'd never fly today -- legally, I mean.

I wish we could know the truth of the whole story, but there's no one left whom we can ask.

My grandmother's birth certificate said Stephania everyone called her Stella. Her death certificate says Stella!

When i started researching our family, I had always known our grandmother as Elizebeth, but learned she was known as Bessie Clara. My Aunt referred to her as Bessie and asked her who was that and that is how I learned. Surprising the names we learn family members were called.

Unless things have changed very recently, US passports only have two lines for the name: one for the last name, and one for all given names (first and middle).

Yep. Just looked at mine and my son's. Pretend his name is John James Smith.

Last name Smith

Given name(s) John James

So unless the OP's stepdaughter wrote it as LisaMarie, the way it appears is perfectly correct.

You are correct I found an extra application.

Although on the actual passort mine has me listed with surname , given name and middle name. However on hers it has her given name and middle name as one. Oh well . Maybe it makes no differance as long as her name matches. Air line only has first and last and her lisence has first and middle inital. I'm just a nervous nelly. I'm always worried something will go wrong until I'm actually ON the ship.

af23d46868519b8cc0d5ec798bdca68f.jpg

This is not something I worry about.

So do you mean it's "LisaMarie" or "Lisamarie"?

Because Lisa Marie is how it should appear under Given Name(s).

When i started researching our family, I had always known our grandmother as Elizebeth, but learned she was known as Bessie Clara. My Aunt referred to her as Bessie and asked her who was that and that is how I learned. Surprising the names we learn family members were called.

Bessie is totally a nickname for Elizabeth (and related spellings). Like Peggy for Margaret. Or Marni. Or Molly being a nickname for Mary, for that matter.

Fun fact. I have no middle name on my BC. I chose a middle name in elementary school. Since back then you got SS numbers when you were heading to work, by the time I got mine my mom put my middle name on it. Therefore drivers license has it. Therefore passport has it.

No name change in between. Just by usage. No one has ever cared. Well the dmv guy told me 20 years ago that if I wanted to change my middle I'd likely have to legally change name first to include my currently used middle name, then to what I want it to be, but other than that no one cares at all. Middle names are still somewhat loosey goosey.

And I realized I'd missed the perfect opportunity to change the middle name when I got married. We didn't change our names, but I should have changed middles at that point. Oh well!

I was never given a middle name yet my sister was so when I married which I believe many women do, I took the first letter of my maiden name and used that as a middle initial. My DL spells out my full maiden name yet on my PP etc it is written out first, MI & last. I do know that Bessie is used for Elizabeth, I had never known my GM by that name. Another family member way back had 4 names, but everyone called him Bruce ( one of the 4 names. ):)