Royal Caribbean Card issues threatened with arrest

lax18stx

OP, thank you for warning other cruisers about traveling with only one card and electronic payment accounts. I had not considered it, as I use actual cards or cash on my day to day, but I'm sure your experience will help other people.

I hope you had a great vacation besides this issue and will continue to travel.

Thank you for your service.

Perhaps it was. The OP recognises he goofed up by not carrying another physical card but RC also goofed up by 1; threatening arrest and 2: not letting him use the non-physical card on the ship (they did after the ship docked). The guy dropped 7 grand in two days! And that 7 grand was high margin business. As I said earlier I'd want him as a customer and do everything in my power to keep his business. If that meant bending company policy a bit so be it, as long as I got paid. Goofing up with these 'Whale' type customers is not a wise business strategy on RC's part.

They also don't want passengers leaving the ship with thousands of dollars worth of merchandise paid for with fraudulent credit cards.

How many passengers charge $7,000 the first 2 days of a cruise? Few enough to generate a possible fraud issue with the credit card?

The arrest threat was made when the OP tried to give the RC employee a credit card number over the phone (from his cabin). Sounds like it was made to motivate the passenger into going to the desk to resolve the situation.

The only solution acceptable to the OP was manual entry of a card not present. He was told that wasn't allowed. It's likely the ships credit card system is programmed not to allow for that transaction. Manual entry without the credit card being present is different then manual entry due to an issue with a credit card being read (magnetic strip issues).

According to the OP the ship suggested contacting a friend or relative. I don't know if the the OP wasn't give some options or if the OP was just stubborn. Could the OP have contacted his bank and has funds wired (or ACH transfer) to his shipboard account? Could the OP have called a friend or relative and asked the same. Could the OP have gone online and used one of his credit cards to purchase ship board credit? Maybe not the amount of money we're talking about. Could he have called one of the those cards and gotten authorization to pay online?

The OPs story sounds a little fishy. He's spending like a whale but left his high credit limit credit card home?

RC decided this situation was best handled by employees at the dock. This situation screams fraud. Makes sense the issue couldn't be completely resolved on the boat.

I! So I then complained to RC and they apologized and there offer was $287 on board credit for my next cruise! ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!!!!! Has anyone experienced this? It ruined my vacation and they offer me $287 that doesn't even cover the beverage package!!!!

I'm just starting the thread, so I hope I haven't missed anything. I can see this happening and understand both parties, but I would have thought the solution would be for Royal to allow you phone access to Bank of America to straighten it out. B of A's fraud people have been very good for me, their 800 number is on the card, I assume you could get that info in our Apple wallet. I have talked to some of these people at the Fraud department and have always assumed they wouldn't consider activity on a Royal Caribbean ship as unsual for a Royal Card holder. Perhaps some other strange charge happened while you were not reachable?

This situation screams fraud. Makes sense the issue couldn't be completely resolved on the boat.

Well, it might scream fraud to you but it doesn't to me. I would need a heck of a lot more hard evidence to make that leap.

I for one am glad the OP posted his experience. It has been an interesting debate. Now back to Tipping and Formalwear threads! :)

Personally I would want the cruise line to say; "So we have a problem, Let's figure out a solution that benefits both parties. And let's do it quickly and painlessly so you can get back to spending lots and lots more money with us."

Understand what you are saying/suggesting, however, have frequently been at guest services when passengers are "discussing" their bills, credit cards, etc. Many people are so nasty, belligerent, entitled, whatever word you want to use. They just don't want to listen - unless you do it their way. Often add language difficulties to the mix, and it's a mess.

Not saying that is the story in this case, but I am sure guest services has to have "rules" and policies. They are not on land with quick access to banks, credit cards, accounts, etc. What was perceived as an arrest threat could have been just an employee advising the customer of their policy or customer's rights, etc.

Too many passengers, situations, etc. to treat every case on an individual basis.

I'm just starting the thread, so I hope I haven't missed anything. I can see this happening and understand both parties, but I would have thought the solution would be for Royal to allow you phone access to Bank of America to straighten it out. B of A's fraud people have been very good for me, their 800 number is on the card, I assume you could get that info in our Apple wallet. I have talked to some of these people at the Fraud department and have always assumed they wouldn't consider activity on a Royal Caribbean ship as unsual for a Royal Card holder. Perhaps some other strange charge happened while you were not reachable?

The card was cancelled. Completely cancelled. $7000 of charges ON the ship in a couple of days SEEMS to have alerted the fraud dept. AND apparently the bank had sent another card already in the mail. SO original card could not be 'unfrozen' because it was never frozen. The new card needed authorization/activation before it could be used. There seems to be a gap. Perhaps the bank tried to call, email, message the OP. But being on a ship, he didn't get any of these contact attempts. PERHAPS that is what motivated the bank to outright cancel the card.

Well, it might scream fraud to you but it doesn't to me.
It not only screamed fraud to the previous poster it also screamed fraud for the cruise line.. and they were actually there.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

It not only screamed fraud to the previous poster it also screamed fraud for the cruise line.. and they were actually there.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Unless you are a mind reader you have no idea what any of the people involved actually thought so there is no way you can say that this situation "screamed fraud" to the cruise line.

There is a free drink in it for you on your next cruise if you can tell me what I'm thinking at the very moment you read this.

Unless you are a mind reader you have no idea what any of the people involved actually thought so there is no way you can say that this situation "screamed fraud" to the cruise line.
Except the OP's relaying that they threatened him that he was going to be arrested.

You want to bash the cruise line. Message received.

You want to bash the cruise line. Message received.

Perhaps it was. The OP recognises he goofed up by not carrying another physical card but RC also goofed up by 1; threatening arrest and 2: not letting him use the non-physical card on the ship (they did after the ship docked). The guy dropped 7 grand in two days! And that 7 grand was high margin business. As I said earlier I'd want him as a customer and do everything in my power to keep his business. If that meant bending company policy a bit so be it, as long as I got paid. Goofing up with these 'Whale' type customers is not a wise business strategy on RC's part.

Nope, I'm an equal opportunity basher.:)

And I'm still waiting for you to display your your mind reading prowess. ;)

There is a free drink in it for you on your next cruise if you can tell me what I'm thinking at the very moment you read this.

The bank put a fraud stop on the card. The bank wasn't willing to remove a hold, reactive the old card or doing anything else to assist. The OP didn't have any other acceptable form of payment.

I don't have to be a mind reader, just a regular reader.

I'm not saying it was fraud, but it was more then enough to trigger fraud warnings.

The OP was told to resolve the situation or the police would be called. Again, I don't have to be a mind reader, just a reader.

The bank put a fraud stop on the card. The bank wasn't willing to remove a hold, reactive the old card or doing anything else to assist. The OP didn't have any other acceptable form of payment.

I'm not saying it was fraud, but it was more then enough to trigger fraud warnings.

The OP was told to resolve the situation or the police would be called. Again, I don't have to be a mind reader, just a reader.

The bank did NOT put a fraud stop or hold on the card. The bank CANCELED the card completely and had already issued a new card that was in the mail. Apparently, these actions made it impossible for the bank to 're-activate' the OPs original card. The NEW card had to be authorized/activated when received.

This situation screams fraud.

You're not saying it was fraud but "This situation screams fraud." ?:confused: A bit much if you're not saying it was fraud, don't you think?

You are a reader, that's true. But you are a reader who assumes a whole lot of things and a writer who is prone to a wee bit of hyperbole. That's OK I'm a writer who is prone to a wee bit of sarcasm.;)

CruiseGal999 covered the other points, so no ned to re-hash them.

I'm not assuming anything. We were told in then OP, cruise line told pax fraud prevention put a hold on the card. OP asked for manual entry based on a picture of a credit card.

Cruise employees were able to resolve the situation at disembarkation. Sounds like too many issues to solve at sea.

The card was cancelled. Completely cancelled. $7000 of charges ON the ship in a couple of days SEEMS to have alerted the fraud dept. AND apparently the bank had sent another card already in the mail. SO original card could not be 'unfrozen' because it was never frozen. The new card needed authorization/activation before it could be used. There seems to be a gap. Perhaps the bank tried to call, email, message the OP. But being on a ship, he didn't get any of these contact attempts. PERHAPS that is what motivated the bank to outright cancel the card.

That seems like a reasonable assumption. My first few cruises after getting the card I did call the card and let them know I was on a cruise. I stopped doing that, but this has me rethinking that, but with the OP having a larger family obviously this was a bigger problem.

Am I the only one that thinks the threat of arrest is extreme and uncalled for?

I agree with you that it was ridiculous for an employee to say that to you. I would have flipped out if they said that to me. I understand they couldn't accept the card but they could and should have been gentle with how they explained that and not automatically assumed you were a criminal. I recently cancelled a RCCL cruise to rebook with another line because of the terrible customer service I received. And if I had heard someone threaten me with arrest on a cruise I'm sure it would pretty much put a damper on the whole trip. So, I do understand and I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

7k could be one piece of jewelry. I would not like to have a card cancelled for purchasing one piece of jewelry. A hold that could be released maybe. I would be upset and change credit cards for sure.

But I guess the one lesson most of us have learned is to carry multiple credit cards and ways to get cash. In case one is lost or you have an expense (like medical) that maxs one out.

Thanks for posting as a reminder of what can occur.

Nope, I'm an equal opportunity basher.:)

And I'm still waiting for you to display your your mind reading prowess. ;)

If you won't engage the discussion with integrity then we're done conversing.

The bank CANCELED the card completely
Precisely. Enough with the insane nonsense already!

No one commenting is both unbiased and informed. There's no sense in discussing the specifics of reason is going to be set aside.

Years ago I read what's important isn't just more then one credit card. If possible make sure they aren't all from the same bank. If possible take one that was issued to your spouse.

Our credit cards are generally chip and signature. Europe is generally chip and PIN. Might be an issue if your using a kiosk. I bring an ATM/debit card. Can save a long line at a transit station.

The cruise line had a legitimate concern, though proven wrong, concerning fraud. I can understand employees on the ship letting land based employees handle it.

I didn't mean to imply the OP was engaging in fraud. Rather the appearance of fraud dictated the cruise employees actions.

OP, I'm sorry this happened to you - the threat of arrest sounds very upsetting! It has certainly made me think about the way I pay for things when I am on holiday - especially as I/we have only 1 credit card!

OP, I'm sorry this happened to you - the threat of arrest sounds very upsetting! It has certainly made me think about the way I pay for things when I am on holiday - especially as I/we have only 1 credit card!

Time to apply for a 2nd back up card for emergencies! Doesn't mean you need to use it but just having it should give you some peace of mind.

Note: you do need to use it every 2 or 3 months (buy gas) just to keep it open and active.

The card had my name on it I had pictures of both sides and discover on the phone saying it was my card.

So you are stunned that a merchant wouldn't take a picture of a credit card on your personal device as payment for your cruise? How are they to know you really owned the card. You couldn't produce it. Just a picture. Just out of curiosity how much money would have made you happy?