My kid's attire on formal night

poshmom

Ok, help me please. My 9 yr old son will be w us. I'm wondering if khaki shorts and a nice shirt w boat shoes will work on formal night. Is this fine? Or will they send us back to rm to change? He has outgrown his khaki pants. Do i need to get the pants? Or will the shorts work?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Ok, help me please. My 9 yr old son will be w us. I'm wondering if khaki shorts and a nice shirt w boat shoes will work on formal night. Is this fine? Or will they send us back to rm to change? He has outgrown his khaki pants. Do i need to get the pants? Or will the shorts work?

Simple answer is that kids dress code is always the same as the adult dress code. In society, there is no distinction between kids that are old enough to walk and adults when it comes to how one should dress for an occasion.

However, the answer for a Carnival cruise ship is that anything goes so he should be fine.

Let me clarify. ..do i need to buy him new pants or will short work?

Pay absolutely NO attention to the troll that answered you. Truth is, on most ALL mass market lines, they are relaxing the dress code tremendously. My last RC cruise I sat beside a whole table in shorts and t shirts and saw many others doing the same ON FORMAL NIGHT so its not just a Carnival thing as he wants you to believe and any kind of "dress code" or "dress suggestions" is rarely, if ever, even enforced.

Let him wear what he feels comfortable in. I seriously doubt he will be turned away.

Edited by ryano

I, personally, would not take the chance that on Elegant Night the Maitre d' would decide to enforce the rules and deny entrance to my 9 year old in shorts. All other nights he would be fine. Elegant Night requires pants. I would spend the money and buy the pants.

Pay absolutely NO attention to the troll that answered you. Truth is, on most ALL mass market lines, they are relaxing the dress code tremendously. My last RC cruise I sat beside a whole table in shorts and t shirts and saw many others doing the same ON FORMAL NIGHT so its not just a Carnival thing as he wants you to believe and any kind of "dress code" or "dress suggestions" is rarely, if ever, even enforced.

Let him wear what he feels comfortable in. I seriously doubt he will be turned away.

I have to weigh in with this mindset....why is the poster who says follow the rules a "troll"? ryano, you express the entitled mindset of "do whatever you want to do because you want to do it"....Buy the kid a pair of pants for $10. If the budget is that tight where you cant splurge for a pair of kids pants, you probably shouldn't be going on a cruise :D

My son is 10 and I always dress him up for formal night. He has been on 5 cruises and even when he was 4 I made him wear pants. I doubt they will turn you away but it is fun to get dressed up for 1 night. Order them on amazon prime and they will be there in 2 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have to weigh in with this mindset....why is the poster who says follow the rules a "troll"? ryano, you express the entitled mindset of "do whatever you want to do because you want to do it"....Buy the kid a pair of pants for $10. If the budget is that tight where you cant splurge for a pair of kids pants, you probably shouldn't be going on a cruise :D

Ok...i didn't say i couldn't afford a pair of pants. I said i didn't want to make another trip w 3 children in tow to buy something unnecessarily. Thanks for the advice from most of you.

Of course you have to "weigh in" as thats what you do best but I have already discussed in rather fine detail why I think the particular poster is a troll. I care not to go back into that again nor do I care what you think about my mindset as you dont know me or anything about me at all. I abide by the dress rules thank you very much. I couldnt care less what others do though. No one said anything about a budget. That is YOUR interjection into this discussion. I wont be commenting on this any further. You will NOT suck me into a pissing match as you do others.

I say do it at your own risk; we forgot pants, and my son wore nice shirt and khaki shorts - almost got turned away; it's up to the Maitre D and waiters...

I'm sorry but what others wear to dinner whether formal or not don't affect me eating and enjoying my vacation.After all my cruises I have planned a family cruise and we will be wearing all white.I want one family photo because I'm the one person who hate taking all those photos.Wear what you want and enjoy your kids and cruise.

I would have to agree with Kristi - a friend of ours had no long pants & we finally got the maitre'd to let him in with the other 5 of us. The maitre'd just loudly said that if one's luggage didn't arrive, there's nothing they could do about it and then let him pass with us. However, he most certainly did not have to allow it, so we were very thankful that he did. The shorts were dress shorts with short sleeved button shirt and he had worn that same style of attire the other nights in the dining room. It was just that it was one of the elegant nights. They might not be so strict on a child, but you just never know what kind of day they've had and what kind of mood they will be in that night. I find it funny, too, because once you sit down, no one can see what the bottom half is wearing anyway.

My 4 year old is autistic and because of that he's allowed a lot of special treatments including exempt from dress codes. I will still dress him in nice pants and a button up collared shirt. He couldn't handle a tie and he's very particular about his feet so I might have to let it slide and let him wear nicer sneakers. But I will do my best to follow the dress codes even though he's exempt. I know how hard it is to explain to a young child why he has to follow the rules and other people don't and I don't want him to be the child other parents have to explain to their own children.

On the Splendor a few weeks ago many people were in shorts on both casual nights and elegant nights. I would put money that says he will be fine. A lot of older people like to play dress up but most people don't. Regardless, have fun on your vacation. Your son should be fine.

Let me clarify. ..do i need to buy him new pants or will short work?

Are you saying your son does not own one pair of pants? Yes, Carnival requires long pants and as someone said anything goes, is not correct. We have seen Maitre'd refuse service to people trying to enter with shorts

If you are eating in main dining, that is fine. Don't stress it. My table mates last time showed up at formal night in jeans and a t-shirt. They will not turn you away.

Is it nice to dress up, yes. Is it mandatory for main dining, NO. Wear what you want for your pictures. You will be fine. If you were going to one of the restaurants requiring an upcharge, yes, they enforce dress code.

Shorts will be more than fine for your son.... No worries, enjoy your cruise.

I, personally, would not take the chance that on Elegant Night the Maitre d' would decide to enforce the rules and deny entrance to my 9 year old in shorts. All other nights he would be fine. Elegant Night requires pants. I would spend the money and buy the pants.

This. If my sons had outgrown pants we bought a pair to go toward next school year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums