Have you ever received an upsell call from HAL?

3redheads

DavidOKC,

My upgrade offer was for the 2018 World Cruise. I actually did not ask the $$$ as my TA said - it is quite high but I felt I had to let you know about the option. I did not want to be tempted as we like our present cabin and its location. We agreed that if it came down noticeably she would contact me again.

For this WC experience, I had already pushed our travel budget and am very happy with the cabin we have. However, attitudes can change if the price is right.

I like the really "old" days when we received several very nice free upgrades. In the past 10 years no freebies, but several very nice reasonably priced "pay for" upgrade offers, which we have accepted.

DavidOKC,

My upgrade offer was for the 2018 World Cruise. I actually did not ask the $$$ as my TA said - it is quite high but I felt I had to let you know about the option. I did not want to be tempted as we like our present cabin and its location. We agreed that if it came down noticeably she would contact me again.

For this WC experience, I had already pushed our travel budget and am very happy with the cabin we have. However, attitudes can change if the price is right.

I like the really "old" days when we received several very nice free upgrades. In the past 10 years no freebies, but several very nice reasonably priced "pay for" upgrade offers, which we have accepted.

Thanks for the information. I have noticed that HAL seems to be charging more for these upsells, especially in the "first round".

We have had two upsell offers for our cruise in 9 :D days. We are in an OV and the offers were for balconies.

We thought they were both too $$.

Our TA called HAL yesterday and there are lots of staterooms still available.

If no other offers come through in the next week, she suggested we ask at embarkation.

Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks

We have had two upsell offers for our cruise in 9 :D days. We are in an OV and the offers were for balconies.

We thought they were both too $$.

Our TA called HAL yesterday and there are lots of staterooms still available.

If no other offers come through in the next week, she suggested we ask at embarkation.

Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks

Never tried at embarkation, but you can call HAL and make them an offer on what you want.

We booked through a TA and we received an upsell offer for this past year's world cruise. We had booked a specific OV cabin and was offered a balcony cabin on deck 6. The upsell was about a third the cost if we had booked it originally (if that makes sense)...about $6400.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

We booked through a TA and we received an upsell offer for this past year's world cruise. We had booked a specific OV cabin and was offered a balcony cabin on deck 6. The upsell was about a third the cost if we had booked it originally (if that makes sense)...about $6400.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

Interesting.... as I normally budget 1/3rd of the difference for an upsell! Right on the money in your example.

Agree. The other factor which helps in my experience is if you are American or Canadian.

I am Aussie and got my first upsell a couple of months ago even though we are five star with over 600 cruise days. I believe it happened because we complained last time when our American travelling companions of lesser status on the same cruise got an offer from Vista to Neptune while we sat in a Signature and heard nothing.

garon&arlene - what nationality are you?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are Americans and have 12 Cruises with Holland America

We are sailing for the first time on HAL next year. In our 10 cruises on other lines, we've never received an upsell call. We've always booked balcony or higher, except for our first cruise on Princess. Have you ever received an upsell call? Was it a good deal (good being subjective) Did you take it?

We've taken 3 HAL cruises and were offered upsells to a Neptune on all 3. We always book cruises directly with the cruise line.

We declined the offer for the Nieuw Amsterdam because they could only tell us the Neptune would be in the far front or far back of the ship on an unknown deck. We declined and stayed with our Signature Suite.

We accepted the offer for the Volendam from a Vista Stateroom to the Neptune portside directly across the hall from the Neptune Lounge.

We declined offers for Koningsdam. Each upsell offer (when added to what we initially paid for a Signature Suite) exceeded the cost of a Neptune had we booked one in the first place.

Doubt we will get an offer for 2017's cruise because it is the one we won while on Koningsdam. We did a self upgrade from the inside we won to a Signature Suite on deck 6 but would take a Neptune if the location and price were right.

We received notice of an upsell last year on our Koningsdam sailing. We booked a balcony and were offered a vista suite for $199 pp on 11 day sailing. We booked with a HAL agent. We are sailing next month and booked with an on-line travel agent. I signed up for price alerts with another cruising site. A few weeks ago I saw an alert that the price went for a suite had gone down. We called the travel agency and for $340 total, we upgraded from an ocean view to a vista suite for a 2 week sailing. It was an amazing deal and I was so excited to get it.