Have you ever received an upsell call from HAL?

3redheads

We've had several upsell offers over the last few years-most we decline.

Yesterday our TA informed us HAL offered an upsell from our Signature suite to a Neptune suite for $2199 pp for our upcoming 21 day cruise. No thank you!

A few years back for a 7 day Alaska cruise we were offered an upsell started at $199pp I think from Signature to Neptune and we declined twice. It came around again for $49pp and we jumped on it. We've been in many Neptune suites so that year declined hoping others would get the chance but when it came around the third time for a steal we took it-no brainer!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've had upsells to Neptune on almost all my HAL cruises. This year we were offered what I considered an expensive one from Signature to Neptune for the larger segment of our back-to-back (3 weeks) and we passed on it. On the third go-around we accepted, it was much more reasonable.

Oops, forgot to mention - all our offers came through our TA, so it is not true that booking directly with HAL gives you a better chance of an upsell.

Edited AGAIN to say.... I already posted in this thread, and I totally forgot. Sorry, senior moment. But that last post was a long time ago, LOL.

When we originally booked our upcoming 15 day Panama Canal transit (we leave in 11days) the HAL agent asked if we wanted to be eligible for automatic upgrades. It was my understanding that we wouldn’t have a say in the cabin location. We opted out because I am particular about the location of my cabin. Now I’m worried that this may have eliminated the possibility of any upgrade offers. Does anyone know anything about this? I think I’d better call them.

When we originally booked our upcoming 15 day Panama Canal transit (we leave in 11days) the HAL agent asked if we wanted to be eligible for automatic upgrades. It was my understanding that we wouldn’t have a say in the cabin location. We opted out because I am particular about the location of my cabin. Now I’m worried that this may have eliminated the possibility of any upgrade offers. Does anyone know anything about this? I think I’d better call them.

The on board cruise consultants have advised me that if you book a specific cabin, rather than a guarantee, HAL is likely to assume you want to stay there. You might get an upgrade offer, but it is far more likely if you book a guarantee. Having said that if you book a guarantee you must take whatever cabin they allocate, you can't then choose. If you are offered an upgrade you won't get to choose where that cabin is. You can refuse an upsell (usually because of price rather than cabin location), not sure that you can refuse an automatic upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Bentleg

We booked a specific (triple) oceanview and still got offered a balcony upsell, mentioned above, on a severely underbooked cruise. We booked directly with HAL and do not remember if marked it "do not upgrade" (i.e. automatic upgrade) so cannot say for sure if you still can be OFFERED an upsell with that checked (but I think so). I also do not recall if we got to choose our upgraded room, only that it was very nice!

I do not remember if

The on board cruise consultants have advised me that if you book a specific cabin, rather than a guarantee, HAL is likely to assume you want to stay there. You might get an upgrade offer, but it is far more likely if you book a guarantee. Having said that if you book a guarantee you must take whatever cabin they allocate, you can't then choose. If you are offered an upgrade you won't get to choose where that cabin is. You can refuse an upsell (usually because of price rather than cabin location), not sure that you can refuse an automatic upgrade.

We have always booked a specific cabin, never a guarantee, and we get the upsell offers. But that is different from an upgrade, for which there is no charge. I once went from a lowly restricted oceanview to a Neptune through a series of upgrade offers and 2 upsells. I think much depends on the ship, and how booked it is.

I mostly pick my own cabin and mark the reservation "do not upgrade" as sometimes a free upgrade can be in a worse location (to me) than the cabin I picked. Even so, we get upsell offers on virtually every cruise, so do not worry about that. This is what works best for me!

We have booked cruises through a travel agent and a PCC and have never received an up sell offer. We were talking to a couple on our last cruise and they have 500 sea days they said they never got a up sell offer. I guess you have to be lucky to get one.

Luck is not involved in getting an upsell offer. What you need is a good travel agent or good PCC that will have your best interests at heart and will not hesitate to contact you immediately when they are informed of upsells being made available.

Typically we only cruise on the smaller R and S class ships and usually in a Neptune Suite so not much chance for an up sell. Some 10 years we had taken a three year break from cruising and when we came back we booked our one and only what was then a Cat B verandah. We did get an update offer to what was then a Deluxe Suite (Neptune Suite today) but it was for the full fare difference of $1,999/person and would have doubled our fare so declined. Did counter offer $999/person but HAL said thanks but no thanks and we cruised in the Cat B.

Luck is not involved in getting an upsell offer. What you need is a good travel agent or good PCC that will have your best interests at heart and will not hesitate to contact you immediately when they are informed of upsells being made available.

Very true, but I would add that it is also up to you to be proactive and ask about upsells once you are within 30 days of sailing, especially if you see that your cruise has a number of available cabins in the category you want.

Very true, but I would add that it is also up to you to be proactive and ask about upsells once you are within 30 days of sailing, especially if you see that your cruise has a number of available cabins in the category you want.

I would go further, having been successful in upsells for almost all my cruises...... give your TA (or PCC) a figure that you are willing to go to for an upsell, ahead of time. A good TA can then work for you without going back and forth. It works. And all mine have come in under my top figure.

I would go further, having been successful in upsells for almost all my cruises...... give your TA (or PCC) a figure that you are willing to go to for an upsell, ahead of time. A good TA can then work for you without going back and forth. It works. And all mine have come in under my top figure.

I have done the same and IMO, it's a good strategy.

It allows the TA to snatch the cabin right away if it's within your price range.

It allows the TA to snatch the cabin right away if it's within your price range.

Definitely the way to go ...

Agree. The other factor which helps in my experience is if you are American or Canadian.

I am Aussie and got my first upsell a couple of months ago even though we are five star with over 600 cruise days. I believe it happened because we complained last time when our American travelling companions of lesser status on the same cruise got an offer from Vista to Neptune while we sat in a Signature and heard nothing.

garon&arlene - what nationality are you?

Good idea. It will only work if you get included in the upsell process in the first place.

I just received my first upsell offer. It was to go from a DA (oceanview) to a Verandah for the world cruise. I would love to have had a verandah but not $12,000 worth! My TA and I worked out how much I would be willing to pay which was less than half of the offer, so I am not holding my breath.;)

I also received an upsell offer just today from HAL through my TA. Higher $$$ than I wanted to go, but they are out there. I have had offers on a number of cruises, accepted two of them.

May I ask when your upcoming cruise is? I am hoping for an upsell on my early Dec one.

I haven't received an upgrade or an upsell offer since I started using a travel agent (one that I found online, one of the most popular if not the most popular for cruise deals). I'm thinking of switching back to booking directly with the lines, especially if I don't get an upsell offer or upgrade on my upcoming cruise the first week of December (a time when cruises typically are not sold out).

I've even been wondering if the huge TA's are able to independently distribute upsell offers - that is, receive the offers from the cruise line not designated to specific passengers, and use them in some way that suits them. 🤐

I haven't received an upgrade or an upsell offer since I started using a travel agent (one that I found online, one of the most popular if not the most popular for cruise deals). I'm thinking of switching back to booking directly with the lines, especially if I don't get an upsell offer or upgrade on my upcoming cruise the first week of December (a time when cruises typically are not sold out).

I've even been wondering if the huge TA's are able to independently distribute upsell offers - that is, receive the offers from the cruise line not designated to specific passengers, and use them in some way that suits them. 🤐

I agree that early Dec is a slow time for most cruises, so you stand a good chance of an upsell IMO.

I doubt that the huge TA is doing anything as you suggest with the upsells, but rather they may just be ignoring them (not passing them on) as it is extra work for them (likely with little or no reward). I have seen similar situations in other areas (non-cruiselines) where the middle man cannot be bothered and figures that the consumer will never know anyway.

I've even been wondering if the huge TA's are able to independently distribute upsell offers - that is, receive the offers from the cruise line not designated to specific passengers, and use them in some way that suits them.

The huge TA companies do offer upsells IF you are dealing with one particular person and they are motivated to do it.

But if you talk to someone different every time, forget it.

Your TA and even PCC, I think needs to be motivated and want to help. If they are just an order taker, it isn't going to happen.

I have dealt with TA's and regulary receive upsells when there is availability. I have even had them negotiate for me :)

The huge TA companies do offer upsells IF you are dealing with one particular person and they are motivated to do it.

But if you talk to someone different every time, forget it.

Your TA and even PCC, I think needs to be motivated and want to help. If they are just an order taker, it isn't going to happen.

I have dealt with TA's and regulary receive upsells when there is availability. I have even had them negotiate for me :)

Thank you! :)... That is advice that I can act on. I booked my upcoming cruise with the same person who handled my last two. However, I have yet to use their online feedback system, so I may have been missing the opportunity to "motivate" him.

Thank you! :)... That is advice that I can act on. I booked my upcoming cruise with the same person who handled my last two. However, I have yet to use their online feedback system, so I may have been missing the opportunity to "motivate" him.

Travel agents prime motivation is commission. If you frequently travel business class he will be more motivated than if you occasionally travel coach. Same applies with cruises. If he can get big commission hits from you he will bend over backwards for you. Also some individuals are much better than others, so when you find a good one, stick to him. If you see a better price elsewhere ask him to match it, rather than swap around.

The big online agencies work on turnover and small margins so they may not be interested in stuffing around with upsell offers.