Have you ever received an upsell call from HAL?

3redheads

Three weeks before our recent cruise got email from HAL so no phone call. Had booked through PCC and when I called about the offer got a different PCC. We had months earlier switched from Inside to Balcony and the offer was Signature Suite for $249/pp or Neptune Suite for $699/pp. The Neptune price was too far out of range considering the the "extras" we largely already had or did not care about. Since we were booked in a wheelchair accessible balcony they were able to offer a wheelchair accessible Signature Suite that was probably close to Neptune Suite in size and they board wheelchairs early anyway. Only thing really missing was Neptune Lounge access and we were not convinced it would be worth almost a grand more for both of us. So we took the Sig Suite offer since we had already decided to not do any real expensive excursions. Only small surprise (and it shouldn't have been) was our insurance went up about $40 due to the more expensive cabin which was reasonable.

We (our TA actually) got a call for an upsell from a balcony to a suite guarantee for our cruise last December. We've used her for years and she knew how carefully we choose the location when we book.

We always give her instructions to decline any upsells unless it is to a specific reserved Neptune or better. :D (and that ain't a-gonna happen) :D

We have never received an upsell offer. In the past we used a Travel Agent, now we have a PCC. We have two guarantee cruises booked and a third with a pre-chosen stateroom. I wonder if we will get any upsell offers. This is kind of a test, because we are getting tired of being ignored!

We got one from an inside to a balcony at no cost. There was a price drop for the cabin we were in. You could take the price drop or take the balcony, which we did. It was a TA from Rome to Ft Lauderdale.

Allan

If you don't mind me asking, how far in advance did you book your cruise? We're looking at booking for a 5/18 cruise

Has anyone received an upsellwhen booking through a membership warehouse club’s travel department?

I hope someone can answer this because this is where we booked our upcoming cruise.

I wonder if the itinerary has anything to do with the upsells. As many said, if the cruise isn't selling out, I imagine there are more calls. There doesn't seem to be a set formula.

Thanks for the responses!

I hope someone can answer this because this is where we booked our upcoming cruise.

I wonder if the itinerary has anything to do with the upsells. As many said, if the cruise isn't selling out, I imagine there are more calls. There doesn't seem to be a set formula.

Thanks for the responses!

I used a large outlet a few years ago, never got an upsell offer.

Don't use them anymore ;)

Has anyone received an upsellwhen booking through a membership warehouse club’s travel department?

No, but I have contacted the TA and asked them to contact HAL to ask about upsells. There weren't any available at the time but they did manage to get me an upgrade as prices had decreased after final payment. I don't believe that this particular TA forwards any upsell emails to their clients. At least, I've never received one and haven't heard of anyone receiving one.

• 2 months later...
With HAL it seems you need to be American or Canadian for this to happen.

We are five star HAL and Aussie. We always book a balcony, yet we have never been visited by the upsell fairy. We have seen accompanying American travellers of lesser status receive offers, and for us - nothing.

Having said that we are committed HAL cruisers.......

After years of no offers we got (and accepted) an upsell offer from Signature to Neptune - even though the ship shows as sold out. Whether it was because we made a fuss last time when American friends got it and we didn't is open to speculation. It was received via our Aussie travel agent.

• 1 month later...

Got an upsell to a Neptune Suite on our first HA cruise a few years ago. I had booked online directly on HA's website and the upsell came in an email. The next cruise we didn't get an upsell offer, the one after that, I ended up calling 3 days before the cruise and was told I had been email an upsell that morning. It never came. Anyway, we did end up taking a Signature Suite on that upsell. This cruise we're on in a week we weren't planning on even doing, but the email deal was too good to pass up for all levels on the ship, and we took the Neptune again.

Got an upsell offer via email on my first HAL cruise, a 14-day Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam this past September. I had booked a Neptune Suite directly with HAL -- I travel solo, and I was fine with the additional single supplement for the larger Neptune space. The offer was for an upgrade to a Pinnacle Suite. The price of the upsell including the additional "single supplement": $5,800. Uh .... no. I was fine with a Neptune, thanks just the same. ;p

I booked my very first cruise with HAL coming up in a couple weeks. I booked directly with HAL, no TA, and was offered an upgrade. It sold out very quickly.

I wouldn't have taken the upsell anyway because I am spoiled from Celebrity and all of their suite perks, and IMHO the perks that HAL offers are really lacking and not worth the cost to me.

We are sailing for the first time on HAL next year. In our 10 cruises on other lines, we've never received an upsell call.

We've always booked balcony or higher, except for our first cruise on Princess.

Have you ever received an upsell call?

Was it a good deal (good being subjective)

Did you take it?

Yes we received our first 2 up sell offers for our 2nd cruise with HAL on the Westerdam in May 2009. First was from our VF category to a Signature suite for more than hubby was willing to pay (late April). 2nd offer was from VF to Neptune Suite for only $129.00 per person (early May). We jumped on the 2nd offer and were hooked from then on.

Both times our PCC called us:)

We have received both up grades (free) and up sells many times over then years. Some we have taken and others we have refused.

Joanie

Twice; direct booked on Zuiderdam for Alaska, June 2014 and September 2014

June was booked well in advance, received email to go from Oceanview to Balcony at $49 per person for the week. Took it without thinking. Literally could not dial fast enough to accept.

September was booked for a very low fare less than two weeks before sailing, again received email to go to from Oceanview to Balcony for $99 per person for the week. Again, took without thinking.

Two cruises before, no offers. One cruise since, no offers.

Good to see this thread still going. I highly doubt we will receive an upsell since we booked through C O S T C O travel, but one can hope. Thanks for all of the responses! Would love a suite, but cannot justify the cost on a 12 day cruise where we only have one sea day.

Good to see this thread still going. I highly doubt we will receive an upsell since we booked through C O S T C O travel, but one can hope. Thanks for all of the responses! Would love a suite, but cannot j

We were offered an upsell from what is now called Neptune Suite to what was then called Penthouse and is now called Pinnacle Suite.

Only you can decide how much money having the neptune is worth to you.

It reading the replies thus far, it appears to me that upsell offers depend on:

1. Booking through HAL directly is more likely to result in an upsell offer as it is an automatic email from the upsell department to the customer. I suspect that some TAs do a great job in passing along offers, while others do not (extra work for little reward).

2. It depends on the category and ship you are booked on. For example, you are less likely to get an upsell offer to a Neptune on an R or S class ship, primarily due to the limited number of Neptune cabins. On the other had, the Vistas have many more Neptunes and upsells from a Signature to them seem to happen frequently.

3. It depends on how full the ship is. We tend to sail in the slower times of the year (better pricing) thus we likely see more upsells than people who book peak season.

Very good analysis, IMO

Received an offer to move from balcony to signature suite on our Alaska cruise in 2015. It was our first HAL cruise and the offer came by phone call from PCC two days before departure. We took it, was less than 300 total for the two of us. We enjoyed the larger balcony as we had unusually warm weather for mid May. Have been told our upcoming PC cruise is undersold and to watch for offers.

It reading the replies thus far, it appears to me that upsell offers depend on:

1. Booking through HAL directly is more likely to result in an upsell offer as it is an automatic email from the upsell department to the customer. I suspect that some TAs do a great job in passing along offers, while others do not (extra work for little reward).

2. It depends on the category and ship you are booked on. For example, you are less likely to get an upsell offer to a Neptune on an R or S class ship, primarily due to the limited number of Neptune cabins. On the other had, the Vistas have many more Neptunes and upsells from a Signature to them seem to happen frequently.

3. It depends on how full the ship is. We tend to sail in the slower times of the year (better pricing) thus we likely see more upsells than people who book peak season.

Well, duh. I never put together the obvious on our S.A.-around-Cape-Horn cruise where we took an upsell offer from OV to balcony (three people for the upsell rate of two!) -- the ship was about (only) half full. We were so thrilled (even though the weather was a bit brisk for enjoying a balcony, the space was much better for three people) and I've always thought we got the upsell offer for being good people!

well, duh. I never put together the obvious on our s.a.-around-cape-horn cruise where we took an upsell offer from ov to balcony (three people for the upsell rate of two!) -- the ship was about (only) half full. We were so thrilled (even though the weather was a bit brisk for enjoying a balcony, the space was much better for three people) and i've always thought we got the upsell offer for being good people!

you did! & you are!:d

For those who are following this thread, I thought I'd share my most recent upsell experience. We booked a SS in June for a November Caribbean cruise on the NA. We definitely got a great deal and we love the SS cabins. About 3 weeks ago, I got my first upsell offer to Neptune Suite for $399 pp. I declined. A week later, we received a second offer for $299... declined that one too since we really do love our SS cabins. This week, I received call no. 3 to upgrade for $199 pp. we took it! So... very excited to try a Neptune but hopefully it won't spoil us. [emoji41]I had learned through CC that it is sometimes good to wait. I will add that the last call was a "very limited" offer, meaning there were only 2 cabins remaining.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For those who are following this thread, I thought I'd share my most recent upsell experience. We booked a SS in June for a November Caribbean cruise on the NA. We definitely got a great deal and we love the SS cabins. About 3 weeks ago, I got my first upsell offer to Neptune Suite for $399 pp. I declined. A week later, we received a second offer for $299... declined that one too since we really do love our SS cabins. This week, I received call no. 3 to upgrade for $199 pp. we took it! So... very excited to try a Neptune but hopefully it won't spoil us. [emoji41]I had learned through CC that it is sometimes good to wait. I will add that the last call was a "very limited" offer, meaning there were only 2 cabins remaining.

That is great to know!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It will.

I followed a similar strategy on the Zuiderdam in that I didn't take the first offer from SS to Neptune ($499pp), or the second ($399) but did take the third ($299) and to us it was well worth the extra. My husband says he's SO spoiled now...he wants that suite every time!

We have only had one upsell call from HAL. It was on an Alaskan cruise we booked directly with HAL. We were in a Neptune suite and got a call to upgrade to the Pinnacle suite, for $1300.00 each. A bit too much for us. :(

However, we loved our Neptune suite and had a wonderful cruise.

I booked a Neptune once and now my wife will not let me book anything other than a Neptune.