Prescription Medications in Carry-on bag

Gampy1967

Will be sailing on Dawn in March 2019 out of Puerto Rico. I have several I have to take in the AM and PM so I use a weekly container (with am/pm slots). I know It is highly advised that I pack my prescription medications in our carry on bag and not checked luggage, however my question is this. Should I just leave them in the normal weekly pill case or should I bring the actual prescription bottles with me so they can verify that they are in fact prescriptions?

You don't need the bottles. Most folks use the "planners"....unless you are carrying large quantities of narcotics, the daily planner is fine. ALWAYS carry your Rx's with you...NEVER check things you MUST have!!!

You should also bring a few extra days worth of your medications, too!

Will be sailing on Dawn in March 2019 out of Puerto Rico. I have several I have to take in the AM and PM so I use a weekly container (with am/pm slots). I know It is highly advised that I pack my prescription medications in our carry on bag and not checked luggage, however my question is this. Should I just leave them in the normal weekly pill case or should I bring the actual prescription bottles with me so they can verify that they are in fact prescriptions?

Bring your meds in their actual prescription bottles. I have never had anything but I would rather be safe than sorry. Once you settle into your cabin, then you could transfer them into your container. I do this all the time.

I always travel with my meds in bottles. It's really annoying and makes them take up more space, but it also makes it clear that they're prescribed to me and what they are. I take a controlled substance on a semi-regular basis, so I'm always really cautious.

That is probably what I will do. None of it are controlled items (bp, cholesterol, and blood sugar) but I can just see them actually inspecting it and not being able to is an actual prescription. Thanks.

I always travel with my meds in bottles. It's really annoying and makes them take up more space, but it also makes it clear that they're prescribed to me and what they are. I take a controlled substance on a semi-regular basis, so I'm always really cautious.

We always put our RX'S in the weekly am/pm pill container, and carry them on in our back pack / carryon bag (along with passports, travel insurance policy, hotel reservations, etc.). Never had a problem at all at any of the US Airports / Cruise Ports, or at San Juan, PR this past November. We just got back from a 13 night group tour to Germany. We were told by the travel agency to only bring the RX's in the original prescription bottles. But we had to take certain RX'S at bedtime and before breakfast (overnight flight). So, we filled our weekly pill dispenser and brought the pill bottles along, too. Left from San Antonio to Newark, NJ to Berlin and came back from Munich to Chicago to San Antonio. Others in our group just brought their dispensers, and didn't bother to bring the pill bottles. No problem at all. You could always take a photo of the prescription with your cell phone, to show them if asked. That's what we do in US flights.

The Dog @ Black Falcon Cruise terminal. Stoped D.W. at the gangway till a search turned up her new, unopened controlled substance script. :halo:

Was this when you were leaving Boston, or arriving back in the USA?

Did they need to see anything other than the properly labelled container?

I suspect that such covert (or overt) inspections will be increasing, given the ongoing illicit drug crises all over.

This just reconfirms our decision to keep ALL Rx meds in labeled containers, and to carry Rx scripts (and even physician letters) for some of the meds.

For the meds that come in jumbo bottles for 90 days' supply, etc., we just ask our pharmacy to label the smallest bottle for "x days" (where x is length of trip plus some extra, usually a week or so), and carry the smaller containers.

For travel to Japan, which we just completed, we went ahead and got all of the necessary "permissions" for some meds, and also found our about a few quantity restrictions (without needing special permission) for a few others.

It was quite simple and straightforward. After all, other countries don't want to turn away all of the increasingly aging tourists who are likely to have an increasing variety of prescriptions, AND who are likely to have money to spend in their country!

(For Japan, they also *prohibit* at least one med that is OTC in the USA. We got the baby liquid version, which was in a sealed bottle, diluted enough that it complied with their waiver.)

Better safe than sorry!

(We assume that travel insurance wouldn't cover disruptions due to not having proper labeling or permissions where needed. Plus, we want to take the trip, not get reimbursed even if it were possible!)

I pack my prescription meds and vitamins in small ziplock bead bags (about 1 by 2 inches) in my carry-on. One bag for each day. Saves room over packing the bottles. Easy to grab in the AM and PM. I have never had a problem with security. I always carry all of the prescription printout sheets with me that shows my name with the med description.

We carry the paper prescription. Doc can print you a list if needed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My special needs dd takes 3 seizure meds at different times during each day - a total of 20 pills a day. We have always put them in a 7 day am/pm holder, plus she has a smaller 7-day holder for her afternoon pills. (the triple container they sell is way to big to carry with us) Have never had a problem, no matter where we traveled. When we re-fill her meds the pharmacy always gives us a print-out of the med info stapled to the bag. I rip off the papers, fold them up, and put them in my carry-on in case they are needed. Have never been asked what her meds are.

We also always carry an extra week's worth of her meds, just in case we are delayed in any way.

We also always carry an extra week's worth of her meds, just in case we are delayed in any way.

This. Working medicine, I ALWAYS advise my pts to carry a weeks worth.

Also, inhalers are only good for 6 months regardless if you use them or not.

From the CBP site:

"In order to avoid delays and possible penalties, U.S. residents are advised to take the following steps: Declare all drugs, medicine, and similar products to a CBP official upon arrival to the U.S.; Carry such substances in their original containers; and Present a valid prescription for the substance issued by a U.S.-licensed practitioner who is registered with, and authorized by, the DEA to prescribe the medication."

Obviously this applies to reentry into the US so if you are carrying "extra" meds and run into a by the book CBP agent be prepared to throw away any extra meds you might have remaining. at the end of the trip if you don't follow the above rules.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

It is actually a felony to not have meds in their original bottles. With that being said, I have never seen anyone care.

More important thing is to have things like an up to date inhaler, your epi pen, etc.

Bring your meds in their actual prescription bottles. I have never had anything but I would rather be safe than sorry. Once you settle into your cabin, then you could transfer them into your container. I do this all the time.

I would have to bring a separate suitcase just for my medicine if I did that. Instead I have put my medications into pill holders except for anything that is controlled. Any Controlled Substances I have left in their original prescription containers.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Forums mobile app

When staying state-side, you can travel with most medications in a pill organizer. Narcotics and Schedule 1 drugs need to be in prescription bottles. My pharmacist prints me a list of my medications when I travel and I carry them in a pill organizer.

When staying state-side, you can travel with most medications in a pill organizer. Narcotics and Schedule 1 drugs need to be in prescription bottles. My pharmacist prints me a list of my medications when I travel and I carry them in a pill organizer.

schedule 1 are meds that the FDA/NIH are doing research on.

I am in medical school (yes even though I have the humor of a 7 yo) and work with law enforcement. It's a felony to put any meds in any other container other than the one the pharmacist provided.

If you have individually wrapped bubble packs that is given to you buy your pharmacist or an electronic med dispenser, those are the few exceptions.

These laws are never enforced tho when traveling. My state does ticket people who OD on drugs and then show up to the ER and hand us a pill bottle and then cops get a hold of it, which comes up during court hearings when they are petitioned or involuntarily committed to the psyche ward.

I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice, and you should consult a lawyer. Don't sue me

Do most people have any problem not being in container? Nope. Based on posts here over the years, not an issue.

Do some people run into an issue when some gung ho security person thinks they are illegal drugs? Yes. Again, very, very rare.

Much more of an issue in certain countries. I would always suggest original containers when reasonable. Taking a picture of all drugs is a very good idea. Good for cops. Even better if you wind up in the hospital.

Do most people have any problem not being in container? Nope. Based on posts here over the years, not an issue.

Do some people run into an issue when some gung ho security person thinks they are illegal drugs? Yes. Again, very, very rare.

Much more of an issue in certain countries. I would always suggest original containers when reasonable. Taking a picture of all drugs is a very good idea. Good for cops. Even better if you wind up in the hospital.

Med list, your chronic conditions, and surgeries would be best to have on your hand. It's hard to know what to do when we know nothing on you, which means we, in the US, run a lot of expensive tests.

Also from the CBP FAQ site:

Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container. It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a 90 day supply.

****If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor. A valid prescription or doctors note is required on all medication entering the U.S. *****

It is actually a felony to not have meds in their original bottles. With that being said, I have never seen anyone care.

More important thing is to have things like an up to date inhaler, your epi pen, etc.

Can you please give us a link to that statute that makes carrying prescription meds other than in their original bottles a felony.

Can you please give us a link to that statute that makes carrying prescription meds other than in their original bottles a felony.

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/is-it-legal-to-have-pills-outside-of-the-prescript-1674902.html

This is the best that I can give you. AVVO is a trusted lawyer site.

But I am not a lawyer. I am on the medicine side. It's not my expertise to cite you the statute. It is my job to prevent my pts from dying and understanding how to transport their medication that m clinic prescribes for them.

I've been to Europe several times & South America & always use daily pill containers. Even for 3 weeks plus. Never a problem. They have bigger fish to catch than me with my diabetes, etc. meds.

I have never been asked to open up my bag to see my meds either. They are busy enough with that 3 mile long disembarkation line