Keeping in contact with teenagersor

Alaska cruise.

Any suggestions on keeping contact with teenagers. Does any of the wifi plans allow for texting or voice calls on board.

Can you just set for sea days, or the whole cruise.

They have a new app for your phone that is only $5 for the entire cruise that allows messaging on the ship. I think it's called HubApp. Check if it's available on your ship but that should work and it's cheap.

Yes, the Hub chat is $5 a person for the entire 7 nights. We have an 11 & 13 year old and it works great to stay in contact. Just got off the Legend to Alaska a couple weeks ago...have a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Hub app is actually free to start with and it does not require you to purchase one of the on board internet plans. It contains deck plans, the FunTimes schedule, you can set an alert to notify you 15 minutes before a chosen activity, access you S&S account, and a few other things. That's all for free. Then if you want to use the chat feature, you pay the $5 per device fee (that's for the whole cruise). You can message one person or a group. Just be sure everyone downloads it before the cruise. It doesn't do anything until you actually get on board and connect to the ship's wifi. Until then, all it does is act as a countdown clock to your cruise date.

If you want to purchase an internet plan, the Social plan allows you to access a lot of the most popular social media and messaging apps, like facebook messenger. I've even heard people say they were able to use the voice function in facebook messenger with just the Social plan, but your mileage may vary. It's $5/day and can either be purchased for the entire cruise (usually at a discount if purchased on day 1) or per day. You can also pre-purchase an internet plan when you login to your Carnival account from the FunShops section. They currently have a deal running on the Social plan that comes out to $4/day. But when purchased online ahead of time, it must be purchased for the entire cruise.

Last year the Conquest didn't have the Hub app available yet, so we each bought the Social plan and were able to text through iPhone iMessages. This also allowed us to text family back home who have iPhones. This year their Social plan mentions that iMessages aren't included, but I've heard a couple people say it still works. I'd like to hear any more cases of people who bought the Social plan and were recently able to use iMessages on iPhones.

Just read your last question. The Hub app is a universal app, meaning it'll work on iPhone and iPad. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/carnival-hub/id925117977?mt=8

Really, it's not hard to find them on the ship - they only hang out in certain places - kids club, pool, sport square/putt putt and gym. We see or pass my boys multiple times a day on sea days in any of these areas or as they are walking on the promenade. We also have an established routine after all these cruises, so they pretty much know where to find us.

Also, we have a set routine for the family. Family dinner is mandatory and the time is set the night before at dinner for the next night - and we discuss the dress code for that night and generally lay out a plan for the next day. They both know to come back to their cabin in enough time to shower and dress appropriately. On port days they are up with us for breakfast and then with us all day ashore.

They now have a dozen+ cruises under their belt and we have never needed the app before and did not use it last cruise when it was available. I don't like it because I don't want to carry my phone around all day - I do that at home!

Tell your teen where YOU will be, and insist they come and check with you periodically. Texting tells you NOTHING about where or how they are. Make them come to you, and tell you their next plans. Have meet up times, usually for meals....and simply TALK to each other and get the tentative plans for the next few hours!

Don't worry about those last two posters. There's always some who have a problem with people using their electronic devices on board and they believe everyone should cruise in the same manner they do. They'd rather go around looking for an argument rather than truly help someone on here. And, as you can see, they're usually the same ones who insist that other parents parent the same way they do.

The Hub app is amazing and was super helpful with keeping up with our teens. We used to do the whole having set times to check in with each other and meeting up at certain places too. But sometimes things come up like grabbing a bite to eat takes much longer than anticipated, or you can't remember where or when you're supposed to meet up, or you get lost trying to find the meeting place. And when that happens and you don't meet up at the set time chaos ensues. With the app you can simply send a text saying you'll be late or you can't remember where to meet or you can't find the place you're meeting at etc. :D

Some parents don't spend much time with their teens but we are constantly making plans to spend time with ours. Like my daughter and I go to the spa and my hubby and the other one go to the arcade. There's lots of times when the four of us split up to go to different areas but we meet up afterwards and hang out together. And we ALWAYS eat together for every meal. That's where this app is a lifesaver for us because the best laid plans always tend to go awry.

I feel sorry for the cruisers that don't use the app because it's super handy. You don't need to carry around the Funtimes because the daily schedule is on it. And you don't need to carry around deck plans anymore either, it has an interactive map so no more getting lost. It also shows you where each restaurant is and when it's open. Plus you can check your account on it and even view your pictures and buy them there. And I've always got my phone with me to snap a few pictures anyways so it's no extra work. It actually saves me from having to carry around the Funtimes and the deck plans which I always inevitably misplace and end up having to go to guest services to get another one. So those of you that say you've never needed it before and don't need it now, you ought to try it at least once. We've cruised over a dozen times and in my opinion it's the best new thing Carnival has come out with yet. ;)

Don't worry about those last two posters. There's always some who have a problem with people using their electronic devices on board and they believe everyone should cruise in the same manner they do. They'd rather go around looking for an argument rather than truly help someone on here. And, as you can see, they're usually the same ones who insist that other parents parent the same way they do.

I literally lol'd at this. Soooo true!!! :'):'):')

E X A C T L Y!!!!

Definitely old school posters who haven't advanced with the times.

Whiooaaaa.... are including me in that???? What on earth did I say to suggest an argument? I just said we found that we didn't need it and explained why. I didn't tell anyone how to parent - just relayed what we did as a family. That was a very relevant response because the OP might decide they don't want to deal with the app....which by the way when DH and I sailed with another couple on the Sunshine in October didn't work for squat! So much so that Carnival refunded my $5 because texts were coming in at 2 am that had been sent at 4 pm.

So OP-please be aware of you are relying on it, it can be unreliable and you might want a back up plan.

I could care less if the OP or anyone wants to use any electronic device on board. I said I don't like to. I often don't have pockets and definitely don't carry a purse. I don't need to carry Funtime because after a dozen cruises, I have the Carnival routine down and it's easy.

And to the other poster questioning the use of technology, since I am typing this from my iPhone and spend much of my day working on a computer I think it I safe to say I have zero issues with technology. When you throw in the fact that my DH is an IT professional you couldn't be more off base. But we are vacationing to get away and for us that means happily putting the phones in the safe.

Please remember this is a discussion board and people don't need to be so aggressive or threatened by other people's posts.

don't worry about those last two posters. There's always some who have a problem with people using their electronic devices on board and they believe everyone should cruise in the same manner they do. They'd rather go around looking for an argument rather than truly help someone on here. And, as you can see, they're usually the same ones who insist that other parents parent the same way they do.

Thanks everyone fir your help. Unfortunately because of the present hostile environment in the country, everyone is in a state of distress, with emotions running ramped. I appreciate the various viewpoints, and understand that there are many ways individuals choose to live their lives. All these are acceptable as long as they do not create problems for others. The modern world is very different from what I grew up in, and the one Imraised my children. I used to play outside till dark, and returned home on tine, without phone or watch. Now I am hypersensitive in the care of my grandchildren. A different world we all have to find our comfort level. Maybe someone can tell me why iPads use fir instead of for?

Just off the Dream last week and one thing we found for our iPhones is you can't close the app and still get messages. If you're like me, then you were taught to keep the apps closed to conserve battery but we eventually figured why we weren't getting messages and once we started keeping the app running in the background we had zero problems with it.

Whiooaaaa.... are including me in that???? What on earth did I say to suggest an argument? I just said we found that we didn't need it and explained why. I didn't tell anyone how to parent - just relayed what we did as a family. That was a very relevant response because the OP might decide they don't want to deal with the app....which by the way when DH and I sailed with another couple on the Sunshine in October didn't work for squat! So much so that Carnival refunded my $5 because texts were coming in at 2 am that had been sent at 4 pm.

So OP-please be aware of you are relying on it, it can be unreliable and you might want a back up plan.

I could care less if the OP or anyone wants to use any electronic device on board. I said I don't like to. I often don't have pockets and definitely don't carry a purse. I don't need to carry Funtime because after a dozen cruises, I have the Carnival routine down and it's easy.

And to the other poster questioning the use of technology, since I am typing this from my iPhone and spend much of my day working on a computer I think it I safe to say I have zero issues with technology. When you throw in the fact that my DH is an IT professional you couldn't be more off base. But we are vacationing to get away and for us that means happily putting the phones in the safe.

Please remember this is a discussion board and people don't need to be so aggressive or threatened by other people's posts.

The OP specifically asked about methods of communicating with their kid(s) using wifi. When you tell them, "Really, it's not hard to find them on the ship," then go on to explain they don't need wifi to communicate, you're suggesting the exact opposite of what they're actually here looking for. That's not discussion, it's pushing your methods onto someone who clearly wanted the opposite. No one's threatened by your post. It simply had no relevance here because the OP was specifically seeking answers that involved ship's wifi, and not just the Hub app. By the way, in your first comment you said you have "never needed the app before and did not use it last cruise when it was available." But here you say you used it, but it didn't work well. Then go on to say you don't need it because, after so many cruises, you know the routine. Never needed it, used it, don't need it.

My parenting comment was directed at the one who posted right after you. With their ridiculous capitalizations insinuating that, just because a parent communicates with their children through texting on board, it's improper parenting. Pardon me for not distinguishing between the two posts.

If you buy an internet package, do you still have to pay $5 for the chat feature on the Hub app?
Yes. The Hub app, and its chat feature, is separate from actual internet usage with one of the plans, so the $5 fee still applies.

If, for example, you and your group all had the same messaging app, then you could forego the Hub chat feature and communicate through the messaging app. That is, if you're going to be buying an internet plan anyway. It could save you the $5 Hub chat fee. The think I like about that Hub chat is you can message multiple people at once, or just one. There's going to be 8 of us on our next cruise and I think it'll be handy to be able to message the entire group for certain things. Just be aware, as has been said by many people on this forum, the Hub chat feature doesn't always perform the greatest. I've heard great things, terrible things, and everything in between. You almost have to try your luck and see how it works once you get there, then talk to guest services if it isn't performing as it should. They'll probably refund the $5.

Edited by Organized Chaos

I remembered that someone in the forum had mentioned a comment from John Heald that they were coming up with some new features for the Hub app, so I Googled it. Those features have already been released and they look like they're going to be pretty useful.

• View dining menus right on your phone
  • Weather for each day of your sailing
  • Searchable deck plans
  • Easily search for family and friends on board to connect with
  • Find information like dining attire easily
  • New, fresh homepage design for easy access to the latest most relevant information

Just read your last question. The Hub app is a universal app, meaning it'll work on iPhone and iPad. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/carnival-hub/id925117977?mt=8

TA here's an Android App but there's no kindle app.

Mom only has a kindle.