Coast Guard video of a 14-year-old boy being medevaced from the Breakaway on June 27

Fred Quimby

Published on Jun 28, 2017

Coast Guard video of a 14-year-old boy and his grandmother being hoisted from the bow of Norwegian Breakaway on June 27, 2017.

The video was shot from a Coast Guard HC130J fixed-wing aircraft which accompanied the helicopter to provide support.

The introductory title card in the video is incorrect. According to the Coast Guard correction, the ship was 303 miles off the coast of Ocean City MD at the time, which is nearing the limits of the MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter.

Wonder if they had travel insurance....

I did read an article earlier today suggesting he had something similar to appendicitis. Don't know if diagnosis has been confirmed. But it is instances like this that reminds me to make sure and have travel insurance for unplanned medical emergencies that can happen to anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anyway, my guess for the flight was $14,000.

The Coast Guard - no charge for medevac.

No cost is correct. My job in the military is to coordinate federal rescues like this. Whether it's a Coast Guard rescue off of a cruise ship, an Air Force rescue off of a cargo ship, an Army rescue off of a mountain, or a Navy search for a missing person, there is never a charge to the objective (or victim) for federal assistance in a search and rescue operation.

most of you are correct,,,there is no charge from the coast guard

That must be fun as the ships' nurse to get a ride like that every time someone is taken off by helicopter.

I was under the impression that the Coast Guard takes "possesion" of the evacuee and ship's medical staff don't accompany... if the ship's staff do accompany then who picks up the tab to get the nurse back to the ship?

I was under the impression that the Coast Guard takes "possesion" of the evacuee and ship's medical staff don't accompany... if the ship's staff do accompany then who picks up the tab to get the nurse back to the ship?

That is an excellent question sir.

My question is: They do this often enough to have a helicopter landing stripe on the ship. Why don't they just build the newer ships with one?

While most ships have a heli pad that can accommodate smaller helicopters, to get enough space to accommodate the larger rotor clearance required of the larger helicopters is just not reasonable. Also, when at sea, it provides a more stable platform for the ship to be moving, and it is safer for the flight crew to not land on the ship, but to provide a "moving hover". If the aircraft is working (flying) it is best to keep it that way, and not risk the possibility of having a damaged bird sitting on the ship. Also, ship's crews are not trained in helicopter landing and takeoff operations, nor is there the required safety equipment (foam firefighting monitors, rescue kits, etc).

I fail to understand the fascination with these types of videos that are routinely posted here. I feel its very disrespectful to the family. Then the insane comments start. Gee, I wonder if they had travel insurance.

Just imagine your child dying or in need of emergency care and an ambulance pulls up to your driveway. All your neighbors come out and film your child being loaded in an ambulance. Then the neighbors comment among themselves...."I wonder if they have health insurance."

That is just so strange to me. Its so out of left field that my mind has difficulty understanding how some people act. But for some its the highlight of their vacation videos.

I just have flashbacks to one where I was on the Epic and the captain had to tell everyone to stop taking photos because the flashes could impact the pilot. Did that stop anyone? NO. I saw so many tripping over themselves to take photos of a distraught family in dire need of emergency care.

I understand this video is not from a passenger (this time) but my thoughts and opinions are the same. I certainly would be outraged if anyone posted a video of my family going through this.

I fail to understand the fascination with these types of videos that are routinely posted here. I feel its very disrespectful to the family. Then the insane comments start. Gee, I wonder if they had travel insurance.

Just imagine your child dying or in need of emergency care and an ambulance pulls up to your driveway. All your neighbors come out and film your child being loaded in an ambulance. Then the neighbors comment among themselves...."I wonder if they have health insurance."

That is just so strange to me. Its so out of left field that my mind has difficulty understanding how some people act. But for some its the highlight of their vacation videos.

I just have flashbacks to one where I was on the Epic and the captain had to tell everyone to stop taking photos because the flashes could impact the pilot. Did that stop anyone? NO. I saw so many tripping over themselves to take photos of a distraught family in dire need of emergency care.

I understand this video is not from a passenger (this time) but my thoughts and opinions are the same. I certainly would be outraged if anyone posted a video of my family going through this.

I don't know, but my guess is that the poster of this video is someone who is very interested in aviation and/or ships at sea as evidenced by the references to the particular types of aircraft involved. I just watched the video, and all I saw was a ship, a helicopter and a basket. If there were any humans in that basket, I could not make them out. The identity of the people involved was not discussed by the OP, nor was the medical information. I see nothing wrong with the post. It is interesting and informative for cruisers, and the fact that these rescues are so routinely and competently handled by Coast Guard and ship personnel are more than a little reassuring. I'm sure there are a few people who learned while reading this that the cost of a Coast Guard rescue is $0 to the family.

If the actual family, or the child himself should ever run across this video, their reaction would probably be "cool". This is much different than making a video of your neighbor in a time of crisis.

I don't know, but my guess is that the poster of this video is someone who is very interested in aviation and/or ships at sea as evidenced by the references to the particular types of aircraft involved. I just watched the video, and all I saw was a ship, a helicopter, and a basket. If there were any humans in that basket, I could not make them out. The identity of the people involved was not discussed by the OP, nor was the medical information. I see nothing wrong with the post. It is interesting and informative for cruisers, and the fact that these rescues are so routinely and competently handled by Coast Guard and ship personnel are more than a little reassuring. I'm sure there are a few people who learned while reading this that the cost of a Coast Guard rescue is $0 to the family.

If the actual family or the child himself should ever run across this video, their reaction would probably be "cool". This is much different than making a video of your neighbor in a time of crisis.

I agree....this was in no way infringing on anyone's privacy. It was informative if nothing else. On the other hand, I do get the point of people taking advantage of these types of situations for the sake of a photo op. Our intrusive media is very guilty of that.

Read the source captions in the YT video, it was taken & released by public affairs @ USCG on their official website; and, posted by CruiseNewsDaily ... as far as the USCG are concerned, it was pre-screened, edited & comply with privacy guidelines and cleared to share.

The life saving mission has a positive outcome - I click & viewed it earlier. Save the debate and send our thoughts & prayers instead to the latest shooting victims of yesterday's workplace violence ...