New to Holland America

Wondermouse

Hi all, we have cruised Celebrity a few times are new to Holland America. I am wondering a couple of things.

- If the ship gets into Port Everglades and you do the walk off Disembarkation, when would you be able to get off? Is it reasonable to think a person can get to the airport by 0830 if you have a shuttle prebooked for 0800?

- From what I have read there will be suggested times for you to arrive for Embarkation, We like to be on the ship early to look around, so usually show up around 1030 or so, is too early or too late.

- Specialty Dining we have booked the Pinnacle grill for one evening and were looking at Canalattos, but was not sure if this would be a must do.

- Any other tips we should know, ( besides, don't eat yellow snow....) or must do's?

Thanks

Wondermouse

1. I really can't remember the time we got off with self assist, but I know it was early. We drove so that's why I really didn't care about the time we got off.

2. 10:30 is fine.

3. Canaletto from what I heard is not a "must do".

A tip I would give to anyone is that every cabin on the ship can order a full dinner from the MDR through room-service free of charge. Best thing ever. We were really tired and found a good movie to watch on the TV and ate in our room. Bread basket, flower, and a tablecloth included.

We loved HAL and can't wait to go back. The size of the ship is bliss! Wasn't a workout to get around.

1. I really can't remember the time we got off with self assist, but I know it was early. We drove so that's why I really didn't care about the time we got off.

2. 10:30 is fine.

3. Canaletto from what I heard is not a "must do".

A tip I would give to anyone is that every cabin on the ship can order a full dinner from the MDR through room-service free of charge. Best thing ever. We were really tired and found a good movie to watch on the TV and ate in our room. Bread basket, flower, and a tablecloth included.

We loved HAL and can't wait to go back. The size of the ship is bliss! Wasn't a workout to get around.

Thanks for the quick reply, we are on the Zuiderdam, on a Canada/NE cruise which is also a first for us. Looking forward to it.

Wondermouse

Not sure when you are doing the Canada/New England cruise where you reposition to Ft Lauderdale.

OCT??

If so -- remember that this is hurricane season and you may not arrive in Ft Lauderdale at the usual time.

I would never book a flight until after NOON.

Even on regular cruises round trip from Ft Lauderdale, there have been times when the ship didn't clear until 7:30.

Ft Lauderdale airport can be a zoo on days when there are a lot of ships in port.

Booking a shuttle for 8 AM and expecting to get on the plane at 8:30 -- too stressful for me.

Not sure when you are doing the Canada/New England cruise where you reposition to Ft Lauderdale.

OCT??

If so -- remember that this is hurricane season and you may not arrive in Ft Lauderdale at the usual time.

I would never book a flight until after NOON.

Even on regular cruises round trip from Ft Lauderdale, there have been times when the ship didn't clear until 7:30.

Ft Lauderdale airport can be a zoo on days when there are a lot of ships in port.

Booking a shuttle for 8 AM and expecting to get on the plane at 8:30 -- too stressful for me.

(bold is mine) I agree. I hate sitting around in an airport, but I hate being too tight for time even more.'

When planning to self-disembark, all schedules are tentative until the ship actually arrives and cleared. Assuming that the prebooked shuttle will leave at 8:00 is a little risky. Unexpected things may cause delay. Suggest you reconsider your schedules to a later time.

10:30 is fine to show up so you can be in the first batch of your group to board after those with priority.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

Thanks all for the information. I have a rental car booked at the airport and am not catching a flight, but thanks for the information on the possibilities of late arrivals due to hurricane season yes are going in October. We are leaving and picking up the car so early as we have a longer drive.

... 3. Canaletto from what I heard is not a "must do"...

I disagree - IMHO (and based on our 10+ dining experiences at Canaletto and not on what I've heard from others), Canaletto is a definite "must do", especially if you like Italian food served in a relaxed family-style atmosphere.

Welcome to HAL!!!

Smooth sailing :ship: :ship: :ship:

We have enjoyed Canaletto many times, too. It is not usually booked up, and it's easy to make a reservation on the day - even at lunch time on the day, so you can see how you feel about the dinner menu in the MDR and choose accordingly!

Glad you're not trying for a flight at 8:30 a.m.! Self disembarkation can be a bit of a zoo early in the morning, we have found. Long queues and people hanging around getting in the way...:eek:

Canelleto.....have eaten there when it was free, twice on one cruise. Will I be willing to pay to eat there? Na. Nothing wrong with it, I just feel not worth the $$ when there are so many other places. For us, it wasn't in a separate dining room, but in the Lido area and there was probably a foot or less between us and our neighbors.

Canelleto.....have eaten there when it was free, twice on one cruise. Will I be willing to pay to eat there? Na. Nothing wrong with it, I just feel not worth the $$ when there are so many other places. For us, it wasn't in a separate dining room, but in the Lido area and there was probably a foot or less between us and our neighbors.

The menu has changed at least twice since Canaletto was "free"!:) That said, Canaletto is more fun with a group so you can share and try many more dishes, and although it is located in the Lido Restaurant, it is set apart and has a different atmosphere in the evenings.

The menu has changed at least twice since Canaletto was "free"!:) That said, Canaletto is more fun with a group so you can share and try many more dishes, and although it is located in the Lido Restaurant, it is set apart and has a different atmosphere in the evenings.

Spot on!!! (y) (y) (y)

Thanks again. There will be four of us and we do share items so we are able to try more of what the dining venue has to offer. The price is right at $15.00 compared to Celebrity at $35.00.

I think we will try to do the embarkation lunch at the MDR as has been reported, hope that it is open. It is also the first time we have aft cabins, usually we stay midship, but thought we would give it a try.

One more question, Does anyone know the type of soda served is it Coke or Pepsi, and do they have the caffeine free type? One of our party cannot have too much caffeine, so if they do not have it we may have to bring it on.

Thanks again,

Wondermouse.

Edited by Wondermouse
added question.

Coke products, including Coke Zero, but I am not sure about the caffeine-free one.

One of our family wanted to do something for the rest of the group and 'sponsored' Canaletto (for the first time for DH and me). It is now a Must Do and we don't even eat pasta! ...maybe a little gnocchi...

Regarding embarkation. Wife and I are there by 10:30 AM and usually they start boarding by 1115. They have comfortable waiting areas.

Regarding Disembarkation: wife and I are all carry-on. So we walk off the ship with everything by about 830. We grab a cab, not a shuttle, at the airport by nine. I schedule our flights for nothing earlier than 1030.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This advice is very helpful so that I don't make any inadvertent mistakes. I think we will try Canaletto on a night where we do not necessarily like the entree's. We are likely safer to bring the caffeine free Pepsi then.

Thanks

Wondermouse

Welcome to the Holland America boards. I sailed this past March from Ft Lauderdale, self disembarkation didn't start on out ship until 7:30 am, no way you could make it off the ship and to the airport to make a flight that

early, IMHO. We had a 12 noon flight which worked out perfectly. Could we have made an earlier flight, sure, but too stressful for me.

Enjoy your cruise:cool::cool:

We really enjoyed the old Canaletto menu, and it took us a long time to try out the new menu. It is very good, and as others have said, it is better with more people. 4 should be good a number to try almost all the dishes. Enjoy.