Retire and live on a cruise ship

I think Super Mario pays $65,000 on Royal Caribbean and retains a home in Miami but the 88 year old lady spends double on Crystal Cruises and has sold her home.

Ok, sooooo...the old lady wins? They're both spending a lot of time and money on a ship. I was mentioning the bit about super Mario only because the OP was presenting the video as something they seemed to think unique and attributable only to that one lady. Since this is a royal Caribbean board I thought it was relevant to mention there was someone doing that on RC too. I wasn't meaning to discount her story or to put the two in a competition for who is doing it best or anything, lol.

EDIT to add that I just realized this wasn't on the RC board, sorry. I don't know how I even ended up seeing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I think Super Mario pays $65,000 on Royal Caribbean and retains a home in Miami but the 88 year old lady spends double on Crystal Cruises and has sold her home.

If her home had been in Sydney, she probably could have bought Crystal Serenity outright. :p

There was a Canadian gentleman who cruised the world on MSC ships because they were the least expensive cruise line (in lieu of retirement home, which was more expensive). I used to follow his threads. He finally retired to Canada.

your spot on regarding retirement homes rip offs.there was a 4 corners-abc t.v expose 2 weeks ago,they charge $10 to replace a light bulb-$5 for a flat white coffee,and someone comes around to clean the unit every 2 weeks,1 bloke fell over and stayed over for a few days until the fortnightly cleaner came around.

at least on a ship you get room serviced daily.i do like my garden though...and my own washing machine

your spot on regarding retirement homes rip offs.there was a 4 corners-abc t.v expose 2 weeks ago,they charge $10 to replace a light bulb-$5 for a flat white coffee,and someone comes around to clean the unit every 2 weeks,1 bloke fell over and stayed over for a few days until the fortnightly cleaner came around.

at least on a ship you get room serviced daily.i do like my garden though...and my own washing machine

Some world cruisers create their own little garden. Plus you can send your washing out. I could adapt to it not being done as well as I would do it.

Princess ships may suit you then. :)

Where is Gut lately, by the way?

He hasn't sold up and taken residence aboard the Spirit of Tasmania has he??? :hearteyes:

I am not sure if he had some more medical issues with his back or if he is just on leave but we do miss his nuttiness.

Where is Gut lately, by the way?

He hasn't sold up and taken residence aboard the Spirit of Tasmania has he??? :hearteyes:

He posted on a Norwegian Jewel roll call that he had cancelled that cruise as his doctor told him he may have done his last cruise. He may choose not to be on the forums in that case, understandably.

Coincidentally, I messaged him on FB about half an hour ago as I just realised I hadn't seen any posts from him here or on FB for a while. Haven't heard back yet.

Let me declare my bias from the onset by revealing that I currently work in the aged care industry.

Whist it may be feasible to retire on a cruise ship, it's not necessarily all beer and skittles. This article points out some of the pitfalls.

As far as comparing living on a cruise ship to life in a nursing home, well... If a person has no (or minimal) assets and the pension is their only income, to live in a residential aged care facility (aka nursing home) in Australia will cost you $49.07/day (85% of the single person rate of the basic age pension). It will cost you more you choose a facility which offers extra services. I'm yet to find a cruise for $49.07/day and I'm unaware of a cruise line which offers to manage a passenger's medication or assist them with ADLs (Activities of Daily Living such as showering, brushing teeth, getting dressed, etc)

All of the articles I've read have been about Americans living on cruise ships. Most of them have assets of one sort or another, maybe by selling their home. I'm not sure what the costs are to live in a US rest home, maybe it is cheaper for them to cruise.

I think it would be too expensive for Asutralians unless they had some serious money behind them.

Still, it's nice to dream ;p

I just heard back from GUT. He's a bit down at the moment. He's cancelled all his cruises except for a 2-dayer. He said he might post from time to time once he feels a bit better.

That is sad news indeed. I hope he feels a bit better soon.

Let me declare my bias from the onset by revealing that I currently work in the aged care industry.

Whist it may be feasible to retire on a cruise ship, it's not necessarily all beer and skittles. This article points out some of the pitfalls.

As far as comparing living on a cruise ship to life in a nursing home, well... If a person has no (or minimal) assets and the pension is their only income, to live in a residential aged care facility (aka nursing home) in Australia will cost you $49.07/day (85% of the single person rate of the basic age pension). It will cost you more you choose a facility which offers extra services. I'm yet to find a cruise for $49.07/day and I'm unaware of a cruise line which offers to manage a passenger's medication or assist them with ADLs (Activities of Daily Living such as showering, brushing teeth, getting dressed, etc)

The gentleman I followed on his retirement cruises compared the cost to the cost of living in a retirement village (not what we call aged care). When he needed aged care, he retired from continuous cruising to Canada.