Rules for bringing prepackaged food onto the ship?

Going on Oasis and hope we get a cold fridge. Don't understand why they wouldn't have working fridge except cutting costs which I am finding RCL likes to do. I wonder if I could find out? My mom will need a working fridge also.

They are working, and they are NOT mini refrigerators, They are called coolers or chillers. DH worked in HVAC. If MOM needs a true refrigerator, you can call special needs.

They are working, and they are NOT mini refrigerators, They are called coolers or chillers. DH worked in HVAC. If MOM needs a true refrigerator, you can call special needs.

I would agree, they are coolers NOT true mini refrig.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bringing onto ship is not a problem. Bringing in port is another matter.

I had never thought of taking food off of the ship. Our last cruise we docked in the downtown Cozumel dock. DH had an apple in our bag and for some reason I thought to take it out when we went ashore. Got to the end of the dock and the police were there with a dog. He instructed us to put the bag down. The dog alerted on the bag and my eyes got wide and heart started beating fast. I have no drugs in my bag!!! He then asks, "Do you have food in the bag?" "No", I replied. "Are you sure?" "Yes, I took an apple out this morning." He directed us to another officer and there was so much food there I couldn't believe it. :eek: Grocery bag upon grocery bag of food. I guess some peeps were trying to save money. :o

I don't plan on taking it off the ship unless there some at the end of the trip but I knew about the dogs in the ports sniffing for food. It is more for during the cruise to fill the void of the food I eat. 80% of the food on RCL I will not be eating from what I am reading. Just seeing what the rules were for bringing food on with me. Thank you for all the responses and I will be getting in touch with cruise line to request working fridges for my mom and I.

I don't plan on taking it off the ship unless there some at the end of the trip but I knew about the dogs in the ports sniffing for food. It is more for during the cruise to fill the void of the food I eat. 80% of the food on RCL I will not be eating from what I am reading. Just seeing what the rules were for bringing food on with me. Thank you for all the responses and I will be getting in touch with cruise line to request working fridges for my mom and I.

If you have very specific dietary needs, the cruise line will work with you to the best of their ability. There are many things available, that aren't on the menus each night, but are available on request. There are gluten free items available like Udi's cookies, you just need to know where to get them.

If you want to be more specific, people can try to point you in the right direction as to what department to speak to.

Just understand, you can bring on prepackage, non-perishable foods. Anything more, you might be stopped.

Not sure why you would not be eating 80% of the food on board. If you have special dietary needs/allergies you need to contact the cruise line's special needs department. They do a good job of working with passengers.

The same thing with the cabin cooler. If you need a true refrigerator for medical needs, rather than a cooler, they will supply. The in-cabin cooler is fine for soda, water, wine, etc. I would not store milk in there for an extended period of time. Food is available pretty much 24/7 so there is no need to stock in stateroom.

My TA put my dietary needs on my reservation but I am planning on emailing the special dietary needs department myself to go into detail and request a fridge. One item both my mom and I need to bring is a milk alternative unless they offer some other than soy. But from what I have read they only offer soy milk.

My TA put my dietary needs on my reservation but I am planning on emailing the special dietary needs department myself to go into detail and request a fridge. One item both my mom and I need to bring is a milk alternative unless they offer some other than soy. But from what I have read they only offer soy milk.

Contacting the Special Needs Dept is the wisest course of action. They do a great job with Allergies, Gluten Free, and individual allergies to nuts, dairy, etc. they have been feeding thousands of Special Diets needs for many years.

With Fresh Fruit, Veggies, salads, fish and chicken it's hard to imagine there will be difficulty meeting your needs. They generally have you order your meals the day before and discussion all your options. They take things like allergies very seriously and are very diligent about cross contamination issues.

Enjoy your cruise and expect to eat well!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you have items that need to be cold, ask your cabin steward to bring you a larger ice bucket (or ask for a beer bucket at a bar) and ask him/her to refill with ice every day.

That will keep your "milk alternative" fresh.

Storage Guidelines

All milk should be dated before storing. Storing milk in 2-4 ounce (60 to 120 ml) amounts may reduce waste. Refrigerated milk has more anti-infective properties than frozen milk. Cool fresh milk in the refrigerator before adding it to previously frozen milk.

Preferably, human milk should be refrigerated or chilled right after it is expressed. Acceptable guidelines for storing human milk are as follows.

Milk Storage Guidelines

WhereTemperatureTimeCommentsAt room temperature (fresh milk)66° to 78° F (19° to 26° C)4 hours (ideal) up to 6 hours (acceptable)*Contents should be covered and kept as cool as possible; covering the container with a damp towel may keep milk cooler.Insulated cooler bag5° -39° F (-15° -4° C)24 hoursKeep ice packs in constant contact with milk containers; limit opening cooler bag.In a refrigerator<39° F (<4° C)72 hours (ideal) up to 8 days (acceptable)**Collect in a very clean way to minimize spoilage. Store milk in the back of the main body of the refrigerator.Freezer (compartment of refrigerator)5° F (-15° C)2 weeksStore milk away from sides and toward the back of the freezer where temperature is most constant. Milk stored longer than these ranges is usually safe, but some of the fats break down over time.Freezer (compartment of refrigerator with separate doors)0° F (-18° C)3 – 6 monthsDeep Freezer-4° F (-20° C)6 – 12 months* The preference is to refrigerate or chill milk right after it is expressed.

** Eight days acceptable if collected in a very clean, careful way.

Going on Oasis and hope we get a cold fridge. Don't understand why they wouldn't have working fridge except cutting costs which I am finding RCL likes to do. I wonder if I could find out? My mom will need a working fridge also.

My last cruise, fridge was not cold. Guest services stated all the cabin fridges have now become coolers, not refrigerators, this was on the independence of the seas,

Storage Guidelines

All milk should be dated before storing. Storing milk in 2-4 ounce (60 to 120 ml) amounts may reduce waste. Refrigerated milk has more anti-infective properties than frozen milk. Cool fresh milk in the refrigerator before adding it to previously frozen milk.

Preferably, human milk should be refrigerated or chilled right after it is expressed. Acceptable guidelines for storing human milk are as follows.

Milk Storage Guidelines

WhereTemperatureTimeCommentsAt room temperature (fresh milk)66° to 78° F (19° to 26° C)4 hours (ideal) up to 6 hours (acceptable)*Contents should be covered and kept as cool as possible; covering the container with a damp towel may keep milk cooler.Insulated cooler bag5° -39° F (-15° -4° C)24 hoursKeep ice packs in constant contact with milk containers; limit opening cooler bag.In a refrigerator<39° F (<4° C)72 hours (ideal) up to 8 days (acceptable)**Collect in a very clean way to minimize spoilage. Store milk in the back of the main body of the refrigerator.Freezer (compartment of refrigerator)5° F (-15° C)2 weeksStore milk away from sides and toward the back of the freezer where temperature is most constant. Milk stored longer than these ranges is usually safe, but some of the fats break down over time.Freezer (compartment of refrigerator with separate doors)0° F (-18° C)3 – 6 monthsDeep Freezer-4° F (-20° C)6 – 12 months* The preference is to refrigerate or chill milk right after it is expressed.

** Eight days acceptable if collected in a very clean, careful way.

What does the storage of breast milk have to do with this discussion?:confused:

The OP is vegan and is bringing a non-dairy milk alternative.

I think I will do this. Thank you

We have to request a medical refrigerator for my husband's insulin. Just an FYI, but the medical refrigerators sit on a table and are about 12 inches high and about 5-6 inches wide. You can't store anything very tall in them, but they do keep things much colder than the coolers in the cabins.

We have to request a medical refrigerator for my husband's insulin. Just an FYI, but the medical refrigerators sit on a table and are about 12 inches high and about 5-6 inches wide. You can't store anything very tall in them, but they do keep things much colder than the coolers in the cabins.

Good to know. Thanks. I will have to look into what will be able to fit.

OK, I'm curious. You are going on a all expense paid cruise, except for booze, and you are not planning on eating on the ship, because 80% of the food is what? If you are not eating the food, are you bringing a shopping cart of food on?

Is this a trick question?

Just bring it in the original container. :D

Just my two cents worth but on the Harmony our fridge kept things very cold. I wouldn't hesitate to put breast milk in it. That just sounds weird since I'm a 54 year old male.

:'):'):')

• 3 months later...

so... an update to the question in this thread...

can I bring treats for the staff on board? it will be around the high holidays and Christmas when I'm on my cruise and I know there is a limited commissary for the staff on board the ship. apparently they have very normal treats for purchase, but anything that won't be guaranteed to sell, they won't keep on board for the staff to purchase. last time I cruised, I had a friend give a package of Japanese chocolates to a staff member and he was so happy, the look on his face. so I would love to be kind to the staff and bring treats for them on board. probably a bunch of Trader Joe's treats, their holiday selection is FABULOUS.

Also, what about alcohol infused chocolates such as brandy beans? do the spirits laws apply to those candies the same as bottled spirits?

I really want to brighten the day for the people working to make my vacation great.

My aunt (by blood) and my uncle (by marriage) both worked on the QM2 and I know working on a cruise ship can have some drawbacks, especially being separated from your family during the holidays and for extended periods of time.

So does anyone know if bringing treats for the staff will be allowed and not discouraged?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

You can bring prepackaged snacks and candy on board. If you do a search of the threads on CC you will find numerous comments about not bringing gifts for crew members. They live in tiny cabins and don't have room to store gifts and trinkets. Also, you cannot possibly know any medical, religious or dietary restrictions individuals might have. The only recommended gift for a crew member is cash.

lol not even snacks that can be stored in their belly?

I do plan to bring cash for tips. I am bringing $2 bills to see how many people think they are fake hahaha

The panettone might be the only larger food gift... you're right about allergies, I do have food allergies. I suppose I can try to buy kosher to be on the safe side for any religious dietary needs. I am hoping a tube of chocolate dipped peppermint joe-joe's wouldn't take up that much room, they are about the size of 1 sleeve of Oreos. Any snacks will be small and I will try to keep dietary needs in mind if I do go buy the holiday snacks before I sail.

I would plan to have a couple of different items and let the staff, ie a favorite bar tender or our room steward or our dining room waiter, chose their holiday treat.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Keep in mind that some of the crew are Hindu, Muslim, atheists, etc. and do not celebrate Judeo-Christian holidays. You might assumes a "gift" is always appreciated but the crew has limited storage space and may not want a non-monetary item.

Edited by Bookish Angel

With regards to candy with alcohol, again, some crew are Muslims, so this would be out. Also, know that the crew are subject to random drug and alcohol testing, and if they are breathalized right after eating one of these, they may have a lot of explaining to do to the Staff Captain. The crew's legal limit is 0.04, about half of what constitutes DUI in most states.