Do you still bring your birth certificate if you have a passport?

No, completely unnecessary if one has a passport.

Someone was telling me I should still bring. I said why would I do that! I spent an arm an a leg to get a passport rushed to me so I don't have too! I looked at them like they had 2 heads. I hate carrying around my bc. It's old and fragile lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Absolutely no need, and if your birth certificate is falling apart, I'd recommend ordering a replacement now while you don't need it!

Yea I probably will at some point this year.

Someone was telling me I should still bring. I said why would I do that! I spent an arm an a leg to get a passport rushed to me so I don't have too! I looked at them like they had 2 heads. I hate carrying around my bc. It's old and fragile lol.

Good you maintained your composure!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

No you don't need it.

That said, here's another vote for getting another certified copy of your BC so you don't have to worry about its age and fragility. Just contact the registrar's office in the county of your birth and they'll tell you how to get one.

I bring them all! I physically bring my passport and drivers license, but have scanned in Drivers license, passport and BC and send them to me as an email attachment on each trip. Never had to use them and think it is like having jumper cables for a car. If you have them, you never need them.

Would like to learn where you get a passport card though.

I bring them all! I physically bring my passport and drivers license, but have scanned in Drivers license, passport and BC and send them to me as an email attachment on each trip. Never had to use them and think it is like having jumper cables for a car. If you have them, you never need them.

I did the same. I scanned all of our documents (passport, BC, marriage) and then uploaded them to the cloud.

Good idea about emailing to yourself. That way you have them in the event you don't have cellular or wifi to retrieve them. Will download them to my phone before next cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passport card is ordered from the same place you get your passport. I paid for the whole shabang! I forget how much those are by themselves.

I did the same. I scanned all of our documents (passport, BC, marriage) and then uploaded them to the cloud.

Good idea about emailing to yourself. That way you have them in the event you don't have cellular or wifi to retrieve them. Will download them to my phone before next cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I e-mailed all my flight info to myself for one cruise only to find that GMAIL wouldn't let me into my account as it didn't recognize the IP address. That was the first and last cruise that I attempted to go paperless.

I e-mailed all my flight info to myself for one cruise only to find that GMAIL wouldn't let me into my account as it didn't recognize the IP address. That was the first and last cruise that I attempted to go paperless.

That's interesting and a concern! Will on next few trips and cruises, just go access them to check. Not a computer geek, but if you went to a different place, i.e. an internet cafe vs ship, would you still have the same issue?

I've never taken my BC on international trips. No need to with the passport, and taking it only increases the chances that it's going to be lost/stolen.

Thanks! Will check it out. I have to renew in 2018.

The State Department has a nice page comparing the passport card vs. the book, including all the fees and where the card can/cannot be used:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/card.html

I've never taken my BC on international trips. No need to with the passport, and taking it only increases the chances that it's going to be lost/stolen.

The State Department has a nice page comparing the passport card vs. the book, including all the fees and where the card can/cannot be used:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/card.html

Thanks for the great link!

Based on my frequency and location(s) of travel I think I will stick with just the book vs card, or even getting both. The card is neat, but due to limits of where it can be used, most will still need the book. I do. For sure if I traveled frequently to Caribbean or Canada, the card would be a nice alternative at least to those locations.

Again, Thanks!

I am bringing both because I am a little nervous with just my passport this time because I was being cheap and not getting it renewed. It expires in November. I do not want to have an issue. I researched the places and none of them state that it has to be 6 months so I am praying that I will be fine.

I am bringing both because I am a little nervous with just my passport this time because I was being cheap and not getting it renewed. It expires in November. I do not want to have an issue. I researched the places and none of them state that it has to be 6 months so I am praying that I will be fine.

You don't need a BC. Leave it home.

If it gives you peace of mind, go for it, but you really don't have to worry about the 6 month passport thing if the countries you're visiting don't require it. I used my passport for the Western Caribbean last month when it was expiring in like 5 weeks, zero issues. The customs agent just pointed out that it was close to expiring when we returned.

Great Thanks Guys ...you guys gave me peace of mind.

If it gives you peace of mind, go for it, but you really don't have to worry about the 6 month passport thing if the countries you're visiting don't require it. I used my passport for the Western Caribbean last month when it was expiring in like 5 weeks, zero issues. The customs agent just pointed out that it was close to expiring when we returned.