Gratuities

shazron1

We're first time cruisers booked for August on NCL Epic. I know NCL have a daily charge added to your bill to cover gratuities etc (around 16dollars per day I think) However, a friend who cruises on Epic regularly says as UK citizens we can refuse to pay this (apparently its mandatory in USA) Advice welcome

All UK bookings after April automatically have the daily charge included, and the drinks package + bottled water (called UBP on here) included in an all inclusive rate.

As such I can't see how you would have it removed as it's not paid separately.

If you don't have the all inclusive rate then you may be able to have it removed. I would give them a ring.

All UK bookings after April automatically have the daily charge included, and the drinks package + bottled water (called UBP on here) included in an all inclusive rate.

As such I can't see how you would have it removed as it's not paid separately.

That's why I asked when they booked. It seems it was before all inclusive.

So, in answer to the question, yes you can apparently get the DSC removed onboard.

I'll leave everyone else to bring us up to speed on their views as to whether they should do it. :)

Rules for people that book through U.K. travel sites are different than the rules that people that book though US sites deal with. Most poster are from the US and have no knowledge of U.K. rules.

Rules for people that book through U.K. travel sites are different than the rules that people that book though US sites deal with. Most poster are from the US and have no knowledge of U.K. rules.

There are plenty of people here from the U.K. who can answer the question as they already have in responses before yours.

If you booked in the UK before the all inclusive was brought in then it is possible to have the DSC removed . I don`t understand why you should feel the need to do this as you have not even been on the cruise yet , you may feel the crew deserve your DSC as most people do . Hope you enjoy your cruise x

According to my cruise docs from NCL the DSC is DISCRETIONARY and additional to onboard account unless pre paid.

You have to pay the DSC onboard. If you are from the US, post-cruise, you can request a refund. The DSC is designed to ensure that all of the staff that are serving you (both in person and behind the scenes) benefit from your gratuity and is factored into the crew salary.

Pay the DSC. Consider it part of the cost of your cruise. Don't screw the crew by being cheap and trying to save a buck.

We're first time cruisers booked for August on NCL Epic. I know NCL have a daily charge added to your bill to cover gratuities etc (around 16dollars per day I think) However, a friend who cruises on Epic regularly says as UK citizens we can refuse to pay this (apparently its mandatory in USA) Advice welcome

You can get your tips back and give it to them everyday that's what I do. They get all of it that way

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

False premise by OP, the DSC is NOT a tip. Tipping si 100% optional other than the 18% added to packages.

I know that this argument hasn't been had on here for a day or two, so for some people it is well overdue, but it is completely irrelevant to the OPs question.

If you prepaid your tips seperately with your free at sea (which is what was offered earlier this year to us in the UK) then I am not sure if you can get them back as you prepaid as part of your booking.

If you have not paid any grats/service charge yet (which seems to be the case with the wording of your post) then the tips will be added to your onboard account on your voyage.

I believe NCL now have a system (at least for US folk) that you cannot remove the charge while on the ship but you cna have them removed or reduced if you email/complain and provide detail. Now I imagine this is the same for other cruisers but they may let certain types/nationalities remove on the ship as they are not used to the US business model. Regardless of this...Guest services will be your point to ask or you could ring NCL and ask.

Although I must say that although the cruiseline's US style model of making passengers pay more than normal so staff get decent wages is unfair on many (waiters/stewards get paid less than $2 an hour and their wage is mostly from tips) it is something cruisers do need to consider when sailing. To many parts of the world this payment seems crazy as we are not used to it but personally for me I could not let the lovely staff that help make my cruise great go without. If there were issues then of course I would talk to guest services and remove/reduce tips if appropriate. I remember my first cruise and questioning this subject on these forums....people have varying opinions.

Just be aware that this thread may start off a tipping war but what you do is ultimately your decision.

From the OP "I know NCL have a daily charge added to your bill to cover gratuities" which is what I was referring to as that is 100% untrue. So it is absolutely on topic. People repeating an untruth any given number of times does not make it a truth.

The OPs question was whether the DSC can be removed.

Another tedious argument as to exactly what the DSC is is absolutely irrelevant to that question.

And it was based on a false premise.

The premise that the question was based on was that they had been told that UK customers can do it, and US customers can't. Which bit of that is false?

This is an Internet forum. Every post isn't proof read for errors. Most people when they refer to the DSC as "tips", "gratuities", "service charge" or whatever aren't making some great point about them. They are just picking the first word that comes into their head to try to get across to people what they are referring to. The OP actually said "gratuities etc", which in itself is fairly vague.

All of this analysing the exact words that people use just puts people off of posting here. I have on a number of occasions not bothered posting because I know that someone is likely to pick on an ambiguity in the language to head off in a completely irrelevant direction.

The OP asked their question and got their answer. That answer applies whatever the DSC actually is.

I'm not going to start any debates on 'if tips were added fares would go up etc etc'...I was just simply helping someone out who is cruising for the first time.

Oz and other countries with cruise industries have taught us you can get a great cruise for a great price with tips included. This is even true on larger brands such as Carnival in these places. My bargain peak time inclusive premium fare on NCL also shows this is possible.

From the OP "I know NCL have a daily charge added to your bill to cover gratuities" which is what I was referring to as that is 100% untrue. So it is absolutely on topic. People repeating an untruth any given number of times does not make it a truth.
False premise by OP, the DSC is NOT a tip. Tipping si 100% optional other than the 18% added to packages.

You can play word games all you want. It is a gratuity that you should just accept. The OP was not incorrect.

The premise that the question was based on was that they had been told that UK customers can do it, and US customers can't. Which bit of that is false?

This is an Internet forum. Every post isn't proof read for errors. Most people when they refer to the DSC as "tips", "gratuities", "service charge" or whatever aren't making some great point about them. They are just picking the first word that comes into their head to try to get across to people what they are referring to. The OP actually said "gratuities etc", which in itself is fairly vague.

All of this analysing the exact words that people use just puts people off of posting here. I have on a number of occasions not bothered posting because I know that someone is likely to pick on an ambiguity in the language to head off in a completely irrelevant direction.

The OP asked their question and got their answer. That answer applies whatever the DSC actually is.

Well said, Keith. It does become tedious. :rolleyes:

To clarify my OP I spoke to NCL yesterday and as someone pointed out here as of April 2017 the daily gratuity/ service charge is now included in the fare. Booked before April you can tell guest services on board you want to pay all part or none of it you are still free to give to individual crew members as you see fit

Hi Shazron - I am assuming that you are British? We too have booked an NCL cruise (first time) having only cruised with Thomson AI where all gratuities are included in price. I asked the question on here some time ago about this, and was lambasted!!!!

Tips are fine, but at your discretion. We are doing a 35 day cruise and as you can imagine, the additional cost is quite substantial. It should be a choice that you make yourself, and it should be said that if staff are reliant on tips, then obviously this is an issue for the cruise companies to review the pay structure for employees.

Without getting into any debate (!) I have phoned NCL and indeed, once aboard if you approach reception, a form can be completed which cancels this charge.

For the record, whist Thomson tips are included, we always tipped those that went over and above to make our cruise memorable as well as contributing to the staff welfare fund. :)

Usually pay the DSC in advance although as a UK cruiser this will no longer be necessary.

I can't be bothered to get into an argument about the merits, or lack of, of the tipping/gratuities/service charge system but you know how much it is going to be, so try to put the money aside and just pay it at the end of the cruise.

Although I must say that although the cruiseline's US style model of making passengers pay more than normal so staff get decent wages is unfair on many (waiters/stewards get paid less than $2 an hour and their wage is mostly from tips) it is something cruisers do need to consider when sailing.

Do you have a source for the "less than $2 an hour, mostly from tips" statement? I hear it every now and then, but I can't find a source. When I look at the glassdoor.com site, where employees "self report" wages, I see that cabin stewards make $10 an hour (about $8 an hour if they are an assistant) on NCL, RCCL and Celebrity. That compares favorably with the minimum wages in both the US and England (if Google is serving me correctly). Especially when you consider that room and board is included in that rate.

I researched this, and the wages the people from the Philippines could make at home, to decide if I could continue to ethically cruise. Because, to be honest, I will not contribute to the exploitation of people if I can avoid it.

The cabin steward is being paid the same amount as a junior accountant, aircraft mechanic or similar position in the Philippines. Bar tenders are reporting they are making as much as lawyers and physicians in the Philippines. Some of their pay is in the form of the DSC / gratuities, etc., and the Philippines tax authorities are very happy not to collect taxes on that portion of their pay, to encourage them to work abroad and send money home. It is a voluntary "transfer of wealth" from me to them, and it makes both I and them happy. So it is ethically sound for me to cruise, without guilt, and without feeling that I am contributing to the exploitation of workers.

To the OP: if you get the daily service charge added to your bill my understanding is you can have them removed at the service desk near the end of the cruise if you wish. NCL allows it, so I don't argue one way or the other.

Not sure this is still the case, but Americans used to have to get a form from the service desk, and fax or email it in after the cruise, and get a refund by check. That's more cumbersome, but allowed by American law.

To clarify my OP I spoke to NCL yesterday and as someone pointed out here as of April 2017 the daily gratuity/ service charge is now included in the fare. Booked before April you can tell guest services on board you want to pay all part or none of it you are still free to give to individual crew members as you see fit

I believe they have done that for the Australian bookings too. I think it fits better with the "non-tipping cultures" to just roll the cost into the fare.