Viking/ Debarkation/ what do we do with our luggage?

bobchico

Taking a Rhine Getaway in October 2018. Do we put our luggage in the hallway the night before we leave the boat?

Your cruise director will tell you. Our experiences are that they usually want you to wait until morning. The halls are narrow, and they don't want them clogged with luggage during the night.

When do they collect it? I remember last year having to get up very early, and I think I waited to put out my luggage until the morning. You need to hold back a change of clothes, medicine, toiletries etc.

This year my flight isn't until around 10am so we can hopefully sleep a little bit later than last year.

Just cruised the 8-day Avignon to Lyon on Viking Buri and we were told to put luggage outside cabin at 8am with the tags they had provided (which indicated airport or taxi or train or independent travel etc). We were not scheduled to leave the ship until afternoon so we were invited to take lunch on board and then relax in any of the public areas or decks until our taxi arrived. Public washroom off reception were available for us. Viking reps called our taxi and placed our luggage in the taxi trunk for us! Excellent customer service all around.

ditto ... we ended our last trip in Nuremb' days on our own. Checkin time to the hotel was afternoon of course so we stayed on board until around noon as I recall. We were welcome to have lunch and they arranged the taxi and loaded our bags. I felt bad for folks who were departing on Viking arranged flights .... they left the boat at 4am as I recall!

When do they collect it? I remember last year having to get up very early, and I think I waited to put out my luggage until the morning. You need to hold back a change of clothes, medicine, toiletries etc.

This year my flight isn't until around 10am so we can hopefully sleep a little bit later than last year.

I just did the math. Be at airport 7 a.m., leave ship 6ish, luggage out 5:30ish, how much time do you need to get ready, and there's your wake up. Early!

On our recent Rhine Getaway, the time varied depending on your departure time. We didn't see any bags out before we went to bed at about 9:00 PM, the night before departure. We were independent, scheduled an 8:30 AM shared taxi through the Viking front desk, and were asked to put our bags out by 7:00 AM.

On our just completed cruises on the Embla and Wilhjalm, the Daily printed a schedule of the time each cabin should put the luggage out. As someone said it's not until the morning, about an hour before each group is scheduled to leave. It was picked up promptly at the time they said it would be. The Embla was more efficient in insuring the accuracy of what was printed as they put out a questionnaire early in the week for everyone to confirm their arrangements before they printed it. The Wilhjalm just printed what they'd been sent in an email from Viking. This led to a number of errors, including ours as we had a unique itinerary. This had not caused a problem on the Embla as they knew ahead of time and our arrangements were seamless. We were asked on the Wilhjalm to present proof of included transfer. I was glad I had brought my booking receipt but in retrospect, all that needed to have been checked was our booking number.

I just did the math. Be at airport 7 a.m., leave ship 6ish, luggage out 5:30ish, how much time do you need to get ready, and there's your wake up. Early!

Here's the flaw in your travel planning! We always look for a later flight, so that all the benefit of having been 'on vacation' isn't lost with the mad rush on the final travel day.

Here's the flaw in your travel planning! We always look for a later flight, so that all the benefit of having been 'on vacation' isn't lost with the mad rush on the final travel day.

We're doing later than last year. I want to say last year was a 6am flight. This year is a 9:50am flight in BUD. Still have to get there early, just not at 3am!! Maybe leave for airport at 7am?

Just cruised the 8-day Avignon to Lyon on Viking Buri and we were told to put luggage outside cabin at 8am with the tags they had provided (which indicated airport or taxi or train or independent travel etc). We were not scheduled to leave the ship until afternoon so we were invited to take lunch on board and then relax in any of the public areas or decks until our taxi arrived. Public washroom off reception were available for us. Viking reps called our taxi and placed our luggage in the taxi trunk for us! Excellent customer service all around.

We just got off the Viking Mani two weeks ago and our train from Basel to Paris wasn't until late afternoon. Having only taken ocean cruises, I was absolutely shocked when we were advised that we could stay on board until it was time to go to the station. Like you, they had arranged for our taxi and loaded our luggage for us. Viking is an awesome company and I can't wait to go on another river cruise!

The "math" was on Zitsky's travel plans.

That said, often the scheduling of flights offers a choice of only poor options. An early departure from the airport at the end of the cruise and a leisurely connection at the gateway airport for the TA back home, or a later departure and a rushed, possibly unrealistic, connection. We use PHL which usually only has one flight per day to/from the European gateways.

Three hours extra sleep and an hour +/- connection in Frankfurt or less sleep and a four hour connection? Tough decisions.

No the luggage is put out sometimes as late as 9 am on the morning of departure

Not like an ocean cruise with thousands of travellers so only 200 people and no room to store all that luggage

You get the disembarkation letter to tell you what time to put outside according to your time of departure

The great thang I'd if you have a late flight you can stay onboard til noon or even do a free tour !!! Viking looked after us for two days after we left the ship on an extra 2 days in Basel with a dedicated host at the hotel amazing !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk