A different dining question for travelers ??

Archipelago

I cruise solo. A crossword with a pair of cheap reading glasses or a shirt/sweater on the back of the chair work for me.

Good idea. My plan is to vgt some puzzle b books at dollar store and some disposible readers. :)

Thanks.

I cruise solo. A crossword with a pair of cheap reading glasses or a shirt/sweater on the back of the chair work for me.
Good idea. My plan is to get some puzzle b books at dollar store and some disposible readers. :) Thanks.

You carry a sign, really?

I can't help thinking you are kidding-- but, if not, why not a large sign which would be taken more seriously.

No waiter would clear a table where the chair was tipped forward and the napkin draped over the back: universal sign language.

Probably not kidding -- I don't know why you would think this is silly.

I've seen a few little tent cards that people bring to place at their seats. They have variations on the "I am still dining. Please do not clean my area"

Sometimes, those of us who travel solo have to resort to "silly" means to accomplish something that those traveling with at least one other would not even think about...

I've never heard that the chair tipped with napkin over it is the definitive Universal Sign Language. I haven't seen it in places I travel to and eat. I haven't seen it in the buffet at Bellagio or Wynn or Mandalay Bay, etc. I haven't even seen it at the local Chuckarama...

I've never heard that the chair tipped with napkin over it is the definitive Universal Sign Language. I haven't seen it in places I travel to and eat. I haven't seen it in the buffet at Bellagio or Wynn or Mandalay Bay, etc. I haven't even seen it at the local Chuckarama...

I was referring to the Lido (or whatever the shipboard cafeteria might be called) not to the above beaneries - after all, this is a cruise site.

On every ship I've sailed I've seen it regularly used - and have often used it myself - with it never failing. It certainly is more noticeable than a "little tent card".

I was referring to the Lido (or whatever the shipboard cafeteria might be called) not to the above beaneries - after all, this is a cruise site.

On every ship I've sailed I've seen it regularly used - and have often used it myself - with it never failing. It certainly is more noticeable than a "little tent card".

I see napkin-draping in large hotel banquet settings - if one has not left some other personal item reserving the spot, while they move around to chat, get drinks or have hor d'ouvres.

I'm not going to walk around the ship with a book, sweater, crosswords, or sign just because I may want to grab a bite to eat in the Lido. :mad:

Roz