Any Carnival Cruisers Here Tried Costa? How Do They Compare?

samiam0403

Hi all! I'm currently booked on a 13-night NCL Epic Transatlantic cruise in an Owner's Suite in 2018 to celebrate my retirement after 25 years in the military. I'm still very far out from final payment, and have been keeping one eye on 2019 sailings as they are released in case something with a better itinerary comes along. I've just spotted a 24-night Transatlantic cruise on Costa Deliziosa in 2019 with much better, and many more, ports of call. I can book an aft-wrap suite for $3500 less than the Epic suite. I know there's no Haven on Costa, but the route and price are verrrrrrry tempting right now.

Has anyone here who is familiar with Carnival tried Costa? If so, how do they compare to Carnival? I'm asking here as I've spent most of my days at sea with Carnival, and feel they are most similar to Costa from what I've found in my research. I also know they have no status-matching with Carnival - although they fall under the same corporate umbrella. DH is zero help in making the decision - as it's my retirement vacation, he fully supports whichever I decide. :D So help a gal out with some personal experiences with Costa? Thanks!

We sailed Costa 1 time many years ago so do not have any current comparison. However, we thought the food was a little better than Carnival at the time and the pasta dishes were very good. All announcements were read in 4 different languages, understandable since it is an European line, so they seemed to go on forever and became annoying as there were multiple announcement every day, more often than on current Carnival cruises.

This was a Caribbean cruise out of Ft Lauderdale, and there were multiple extended families from European countries onboard that seemed to think that they owned the ship and all the walkways throughout as they would be spread out from one side to the other and would rather bump into you than move out of the way and we couldn't move out of the way as there was no place to go but try to plaster ourselves up against the wall as they went by. This happened more than several time per day with many more than one extended family doing this.

Service was not memorable so it must have been as least OK. Ship was very nice with lots of marble every where. As I remember the price was REALLY inexpensive. Would probably not sale again with them unless the price was right, which seems to be the case for you.

FWIW, have never sailed NCL and have no desire to try them.

I too have sailed costa many years ago and could not say what it is like today. However, the cruise I took seemed really no different than the NCL cruises I had taken before. Good food, good entertainment, good ports. The main thing we noticed was smaller ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi all! I'm currently booked on a 13-night NCL Epic Transatlantic cruise in an Owner's Suite in 2018 to celebrate my retirement after 25 years in the military. I'm still very far out from final payment, and have been keeping one eye on 2019 sailings as they are released in case something with a better itinerary comes along. I've just spotted a 24-night Transatlantic cruise on Costa Deliziosa in 2019 with much better, and many more, ports of call. I can book an aft-wrap suite for $3500 less than the Epic suite. I know there's no Haven on Costa, but the route and price are verrrrrrry tempting right now.

Has anyone here who is familiar with Carnival tried Costa? If so, how do they compare to Carnival? I'm asking here as I've spent most of my days at sea with Carnival, and feel they are most similar to Costa from what I've found in my research. I also know they have no status-matching with Carnival - although they fall under the same corporate umbrella. DH is zero help in making the decision - as it's my retirement vacation, he fully supports whichever I decide. :D So help a gal out with some personal experiences with Costa? Thanks!

An aft-wrap cabin is the best cabin at sea, if you like being outside experiencing the view. Have not been on Costa yet, but I always take an aft-wrap if it is available. Fantastic experience.

I think lots of people are still nervous about sailing Costa after the Concordia disaster. Whenever we see their ads we just ignore them. Maybe lightning never strikes twice, but....

I'm sure others will have a more positive take.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We sailed Costa 1 time many years ago so do not have any current comparison. However, we thought the food was a little better than Carnival at the time and the pasta dishes were very good. All announcements were read in 4 different languages, understandable since it is an European line, so they seemed to go on forever and became annoying as there were multiple announcement every day, more often than on current Carnival cruises.

This was a Caribbean cruise out of Ft Lauderdale, and there were multiple extended families from European countries onboard that seemed to think that they owned the ship and all the walkways throughout as they would be spread out from one side to the other and would rather bump into you than move out of the way and we couldn't move out of the way as there was no place to go but try to plaster ourselves up against the wall as they went by. This happened more than several time per day with many more than one extended family doing this.

Service was not memorable so it must have been as least OK. Ship was very nice with lots of marble every where. As I remember the price was REALLY inexpensive. Would probably not sale again with them unless the price was right, which seems to be the case for you.

FWIW, have never sailed NCL and have no desire to try them.

Thank you for sharing your experience, swscruiser! What you experienced seems to still be the norm - which I'm more than ok with. I'm more than happy to bump back for people who think they own a hallway when they walk. :D I'm thinking that for $7000 rather than almost $11,000, I'd rather have the 11 extra days on the ship, and many more ports. Thanks again for your help!

I too have sailed costa many years ago and could not say what it is like today. However, the cruise I took seemed really no different than the NCL cruises I had taken before. Good food, good entertainment, good ports. The main thing we noticed was smaller ships. Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for sharing! I like hearing that the entertainment is good. I don't need fawning service, but good entertainment and decent food is a must. The ship also appears to be similar to Spirit-class (my favorite Carnival class), which is great! Thanks again!

An aft-wrap cabin is the best cabin at sea, if you like being outside experiencing the view. Have not been on Costa yet, but I always take an aft-wrap if it is available. Fantastic experience.

Agreed! I used to sail in aft wraps rather frequently, but that was before Carnival re-classified them as suites instead of balconies. Looking forward to that 50 foot balcony again! :)

Only complaint I've heard is that Costa is very European.

If you're a CCL Shareholder, you'll get some OBC.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9Mjc0MjIzfENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1 Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've also seen that it is very European - with late dining starting at 9:30, the service a bit more hands off, and entertainment including a great night life and opera in the main theater. Sounds perfect to me! And unfortunately, I am no longer a CCL shareholder - so no extra OBC for me.

I think lots of people are still nervous about sailing Costa after the Concordia disaster. Whenever we see their ads we just ignore them. Maybe lightning never strikes twice, but....

I'm sure others will have a more positive take. Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great point. I know I was hesitant to look at them for quite some time after Concordia. I would like to hope the company and the captains wouldn't let something like that happen again. And I also discovered that Cruise Critic still has member reviews of Concordia posted on the review page - obviously from pre-accident. That weirded me out a little.

Costa is NOTHING like Carnival.

Very European, very quiet, very boring.

Very quiet and boring? Weird, everything I've seen points to the exact opposite. :confused: I've read that the nightclubs are jam packed until the wee hours of the morning, and that the entertainment is great. Guess there's only one way to find out! :D But if it is quiet and boring, luckily, I don't need a ton of activities during the day - give me my included drink package, my Kindle, a balcony, and one of the best thermal suites at sea, and I'm set for the day.

Costa is ok, but every so often they can get a really, really nasty list to the starboard side along with above average water damage.

Helpful to know! ;) I've also already discounted Cunard as an option due to their propensity for up close and personal views of icebergs in the North Atlantic. :'):'):')

Good luck! Ive been eyeing Costa itineraries for quite some time. They have nice itineraries for sure and with carnival's itineraries lacking and the same if not more money than NCL but without perks, 2019 for us is wide open for sure and Costa is in the running!

Good luck! Ive been eyeing Costa itineraries for quite some time. They have nice itineraries for sure and with carnival's itineraries lacking and the same if not more money than NCL but without perks, 2019 for us is wide open for sure and Costa is in the running!

Thanks! The itineraries sure do look good - and with the suites including a beverage package and private-ish restaurant, it's looking like it might nudge NCL out of top place for the transatlantic. The more research I do, the more it seems that it's a good fit for us - especially as NCL is starting to price us out of suites with their absurd bidding process as of late. :rolleyes: Looks like I should start brushing up on my Italian! :D

I went on a 19 day TA with Costa Atlantica in 2010. It was a beautiful ship. The crew spoke little English but you got the drift of what they wanted from you and they were very attentive. Numerous announcements for the different nationalities were given. Opera singer, acrobats and such was the majority of the entertainment. Lots of dancing from ball room to line dancing, which I just loved. Europeans tend to have a different sense of humor then Americans so, some of their games are more risque and can cause one to blush:D The food was good and everything was kept neat and clean. As a matter of fact the captain from the Concordia was our captain on the Atlantica. I am glad he didn't pull anything on our trip. Actually, that TA was the best cruise I have ever taken. It was different but in a good way. I would do Costa again.

Everyone has their opinions and concerns but equating what happened with the Concordia is like being concerned about Carnival because of the Triumph incident.

Helpful to know! ;) I've also already discounted Cunard as an option due to their propensity for up close and personal views of icebergs in the North Atlantic. :'):'):')

Cunard was not the owner of Titanic - White Star Line was. The two lines later merged. EM

Costa is NOTHING like Carnival.

Except for the fact that Costa ships are structurally identical to Carnival ships and the former interior designer for Carnival, Joe Farcus, is the current interior designer for Costa. So not only will it be very easy for someone who has sailed on Carnival to find their way around a Costa ship since they have almost identical deck plans, but they will find that the decor is similar to Joe Farcus era Carnival ships. Just looking at photos of Costa and Carnival ships, there are very obvious similarities. Staterooms are virtually identical, even in their decor.

Interestingly, many refer to Costa as the "Carnival of Europe" because target similar demographics and price point, but on opposite sides of the Atlantic. Yes, there will be cultural differences, but Carnival cruisers may find themselves more at home on Costa than they think.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I went on a 19 day TA with Costa Atlantica in 2010. It was a beautiful ship. The crew spoke little English but you got the drift of what they wanted from you and they were very attentive. Numerous announcements for the different nationalities were given. Opera singer, acrobats and such was the majority of the entertainment. Lots of dancing from ball room to line dancing, which I just loved. Europeans tend to have a different sense of humor then Americans so, some of their games are more risque and can cause one to blush:D The food was good and everything was kept neat and clean. As a matter of fact the captain from the Concordia was our captain on the Atlantica. I am glad he didn't pull anything on our trip. Actually, that TA was the best cruise I have ever taken. It was different but in a good way. I would do Costa again.

Ladyinflight - thank you for sharing your experience! Once I discount the 'worst cruise ever!' and 'everything was perfect!' reviews, yours seems to be the normal opinion. I'm also happy to hear that your captain behaved himself on your sailing! That must have been quite a shocking piece of information to digest!

Everyone has their opinions and concerns but equating what happened with the Concordia is like being concerned about Carnival because of the Triumph incident.

Exactly. I'm not in the least worried about a repeat.

Cunard was not the owner of Titanic - White Star Line was. The two lines later merged. EM

Yes, yes, I am aware they merged after the fact. I was just continuing the morbid joking.

Except for the fact that Costa ships are structurally identical to Carnival ships and the former interior designer for Carnival, Joe Farcus, is the current interior designer for Costa. So not only will it be very easy for someone who has sailed on Carnival to find their way around a Costa ship since they have almost identical deck plans, but they will find that the decor is similar to Joe Farcus era Carnival ships. Just looking at photos of Costa and Carnival ships, there are very obvious similarities. Staterooms are virtually identical, even in their decor.

Interestingly, many refer to Costa as the "Carnival of Europe" because target similar demographics and price point, but on opposite sides of the Atlantic. Yes, there will be cultural differences, but Carnival cruisers may find themselves more at home on Costa than they think.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good summary of Costa from what I've seen in my massive amounts of googling. I immediately noticed the Joe Farcus design and similarities in cabin decor between Costa and Carnival. But on the upside, Costa includes a lot more with a suite booking than Carnival - which is what I've missed on Carnival. I really do think Costa will be a good fit for us.

For the increased time and decreased cost it's a sure fire winner I'd say. Make the switch and embrace the differences.

I'd say you're about right! I'm waiting to hear back from a few more travel agents on that website that offers competing cruise pricing, but so far, I can't argue with $6700 for 2 in a 24 night Transatlantic cruise in a suite. I'm about 99.9% sure I'll be booking it later this month. :)

I did a TA on Costa Favolosa in April this year and loved it. I travel solo and there was no solo supplement. The food and service were excellent. Doing a 26 day cruise on the NeoClassica Mumbai to Venice next March.

The English speakers are seated together at meals and many Europeans of course speak English.

The ships are identical to Carnival even down to the furniture so it feels like a Carnival ship.

Lots and lots of dancing all evening.