Why are so few people on P&O roll calls?

madmacs

Interesting topic. I started a roll call for Ventura N831, departing in Oct 2018 in Sept 2016 after booking during the pre registration process.

To date, 7 posts, the last in April this year.

Seems surprising to me that as there was so much discussion on here regarding the cabins people got during the pre registration process, hardly anyone has joined that particular sailing roll call.

Bit of a moot point for me as we've cancelled this sailing so this discussion has reminded me I need to post on there to advise we're not sailing.

I also started one in Feb this year for an Arcadia Sailing in May 2018, to date only 5 posts, 3 of them mine and the other 2 from one other person!

As for Facebook, I use it extensively so definitely not a hater of the application but I hate the P&O and Cunard groups because IMHO they are run by demigods who will not listen to anything against P&O or Cunard, will not enter into a civilised debate and delete posts without explanation, and even throw people out of the groups, again without any warning or explanation. Same goes for those discussing Cunard, so it's not solely P&O. I was even threatened on social media by an administrator of a Cunard group.

Whereas those for RCI, Celebrity, MSC and NCL are civilised.

My experience of rolls calls for all lines except P&O is good, many meetings arranged, activities, helpful advice provided regarding transfers etc.

An example is the roll call for our upcoming transatlantic sailing, to date there have been 2256 posts, a website created for activities etc and we're still over 100 days from sailing. Our last Celebrity roll call had 1889 posts.

Edited by peteukmcr

We were recently on a Celebrity cruise, and had signed up for the meet and greet via the roll call. On the first sail in, we were all invited to champagne with the Captain and senior Officers on the helicopter pad. Lovely touch and well worth joining the roll call in my opinion.

We were recently on a Celebrity cruise, and had signed up for the meet and greet via the roll call. On the first sail in, we were all invited to champagne with the Captain and senior Officers on the helicopter pad. Lovely touch and well worth joining the roll call in my opinion.

We've been fortunate to have been invited to 2 sail aways on each of our Celebrity cruises. According to the Guest Services manager it's supposed to be only for those who have sailed with them for the first time. Guess we've been lucky.d3cef5b23dbb963b05e9c7838a0a673a.jpg

On our RCI Navigator roll call for Sept the lead poster just listed out the full list of contributors, and out of a total of 56 over 62% are from Nth America, and only 11 are from the UK, but I very much doubt that the actual passenger mix will be the same. The thread currently has 533 posts and is increasing by up to 10 posts per day most of which are from US contributors.

Clearly this type of social media has much more appeal to Nth Americans than it does to Brits.

I've got no time for FB either so that makes several of us!

This thread caught my attention as I've been thinking about kicking off a couple of roll calls for next year and 2019. I've been hesitant to do so partly because of the seemingly low interest as covered here and also as I'm relatively new to CC and not really sure how these things work (probably daft I know). Also these cruises are sometime off yet....I guess I should just go for it and see what happens?

Now that's a smart move. Make a fuss of people who write reviews and advise others as to the suitability of their product. P&O could learn a lesson from that. On the subject of roll calls, there was a good one for our May Baltics cruise and one chap (Canuker) posted some really useful pre cruise info that many of us appreciated. We had a CC meet on the 2nd sea day and it was nice to meet some fellow contributors and we met others throughout the cruise. As I believe is often the case, one passenger (having seen the meet advertised in Horizon) turned up thinking that we were official cruise 'critics', as he had some strong views about things that P&O should improve on. Mike (a contributor) corrected him on the purpose of the meeting but, undeterred, he felt the need to tell us all his views before leaving!

We organised a roll call a few years back on the Celebrity Silhouette as we had started the roll call. I think there were supposed to be about 80 people at the Cruise Critic event and there were officers and the entertainment person there. It was an active thread and we got some special badges for the event. Sadly only about 25 people came - disappointing, so won't bother again to be honest.

Have found Celebrity Roll Calls great and a fantastic way to organise private trips. Have met some lovely Americans, Australians and New Zealanders (and a few Brits!) that way.

I started a roll call from my Azura trip in April and tried to get a private tour going but it was very hard work. Most P&Oers seem to prefer ships tours which I just can't understand

Pete

Is that the Eclipse transatlantic you are doing in October? - we did it last year and it was great - one of my best cruises ever

Yes, and another TA booked with NCL next year as we've cancelled our P&O cruises.

Sent from Tapatalk

Yes, and another TA booked with NCL next year as we've cancelled our P&O cruises.

Sent from Tapatalk

We had a fantastic roll call on that and met several people still in touch with today

I organised a taxi trip for 8 in Bermuda and had a very good local driver - let me know if you need a name and I'll dig through my records. He took us all over and went way beyond what we agreed

We had a fantastic roll call on that and met several people still in touch with today

I organised a taxi trip for 8 in Bermuda and had a very good local driver - let me know if you need a name and I'll dig through my records. He took us all over and went way beyond what we agreed

Ours too, as is the Oasis roll call for April 2018 and the NCL one is shaping up nicely taking into consideration we're 16 months away.

Thanks for the offer of contacts for Bermuda but we're sorted for that as Celebrity offered discounts on shore excursions when we were aboard Reflection in May this year so we booked whilst on board to take advantage of the discount.

I think it is also worth remembering that Cruise Critic was pretty much exlusively USA-based for a long time before being launched in the UK. My user name for this forum was chosen on that basis when we did a Celebrity Panama Canal Cruise in 2005. Americans are also generally more outgoing than many Brits and so like to make lots of new acquaintances. The added bonus of hosted meet & greets on the likes of RCI Brands and Princess mean a little freebie too!

Another Facebook hater here ;p

Well, that's three of us on this thread then. One thing that bugs me about Cruise Critic is that you can only comment on one of their news items through Facebook!

...We had a CC meet on the 2nd sea day and it was nice to meet some fellow contributors and we met others throughout the cruise. As I believe is often the case, one passenger (having seen the meet advertised in Horizon) turned up thinking that we were official cruise 'critics', as he had some strong views about things that P&O should improve on. Mike (a contributor) corrected him on the purpose of the meeting but, undeterred, he felt the need to tell us all his views before leaving!

Yes - but he did rather slink away, tail between legs, when he eventually got the message that we were not there to diss P&O :D.