communicating on board using phones- going on Adventure this weekend

Hi everyone,

This trip we are buying the internet package. We all have Iphones and Verizon. How do you all utilize communication with each other on board with your phones? Can we use IMessage or do we have to use an app like What's app? Just hoping to be able to text with my kids when we aren't together and don't want to get a huge bill by accident. Thank you

Hi everyone,

This trip we are buying the internet package. We all have Iphones and Verizon. How do you all utilize communication with each other on board with your phones? Can we use IMessage or do we have to use an app like What's app? Just hoping to be able to text with my kids when we aren't together and don't want to get a huge bill by accident. Thank you

If you all have iPhones, you can use iMessage. Put the phones in Airplane Mode and then turn on WiFi. This will avoid cell carrier charges.

If you all have iPhones, you can use iMessage. Put the phones in Airplane Mode and then turn on WiFi. This will avoid cell carrier charges.

Does that Royal IQ app let you communicate with one another while on the ship? Or do you still need wifi?

Lisa N.

Does that Royal IQ app let you communicate with one another while on the ship? Or do you still need wifi?

Lisa N.

Royal IQ app lets you communicate onboard without having to purchase a WiFi package. However, the app is only functional on Quantum class and Harmony right now.

Royal IQ app lets you communicate onboard without having to purchase a WiFi package. However, the app is only functional on Quantum class and Harmony right now.

Always so helpful! Thanks so much, Bob!

Lisa N.

Always so helpful! Thanks so much, Bob!

Lisa N.

I should have mentioned that you would need to pay $7.95 per phone per cruise to use the voice and texting capability of the Royal IQ app on those ships that support the app.

Thank you! Do you know if you can facetime?

Others have reported being able to Facetime, with varying quality. Most likely the quality would depend on how many others are using the internet at the time.

I should have mentioned that you would need to pay $7.95 per phone per cruise to use the voice and texting capability of the Royal IQ app on those ships that support the app.

Do you need wifi package in order to do this?

Do you need wifi package in order to do this?

Nope, the $7.95 is all you need to pay to get the texting/voice capability. Note that this give you text/voice to others on the same cruise who paid the $7.95 for their phones. No off-ship texting/voice capability unless you also have the internet package.

We are planning to use Skype and KIK to chat and video conference with those on ship and at home via wifi on upcoming LOS cruise.

Both work with cell phones in airplane mode and wifi turned on.

Steven

Sent from my iPad using Forums