What Do You Do to Stay Healthy When Cruising ?

Actually, anyone who works with children and that includes Dr's and nurses as well as teachers, etc usually are sicker their first year than the rest of their career as they're constantly being exposed to new and mutated viruses, etc. Over time, they also build immunity and are sick less often. It's actually a fact that children need to build up their immunity and children who are allowed to play in the dirt (exposed to more) tend to be sick less often. Washing hands is really the best way to prevent illness. All these products that kill bactera and viruses are only creating more mutations that are resistant. It's why there are more superbugs than ever.

We probably all knew that one kid who wasn't allowed to dig in the dirt or go places or spend time at other peoples houses because he/she was always getting sick. Well, he/she was always getting sick because they were rarely exposed to the normal things kids should be.

Thank you - the over use of antibacterials ,(and antibiotics), drives me nuts - it can be so counter productive, but some people just don't want to believe it.

Thank you - the over use of antibacterials ,(and antibiotics), drives me nuts - it can be so counter productive, but some people just don't want to believe it.

Wash your hands with soap and water but easier to use the wipes on door handles etc in the cabin.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Since the original topic was how do you stay healthy on a cruise, I'll add in that for 2 weeks before a cruise, I'll avoid anyone with even the sniffles ;p. I use to run marathons and like cruising, it is something I scheduled way ahead of time and I paid a lot of money to do! I learned my lesson when I went against my own advice and went to a friends house. Once inside we could see it was a sick ward. The lady there said, It's a sinus infection and not contagious. Well, she was wrong. Marathoning with a cold is not pleasurable. Now I have two young grandchildren, they are harder to avoid.

Makes sense but I see both sides of it...5 to 6 year old children are more likely to crawl on the floor and/or put their hands in their mouths. A 10th grader hopefully is not doing this thus avoiding the germs the younger child would ingest.

We try not to go too nutso w/ the sanitizer but any time we eat and do not have immediate access to a sink we use it.

I work in a public high school. The kids still crawl on the floor and sit on the floor. There hands are everywhere, and I do mean everwhere:eek::eek:. They are always eating and drinking so their hands are always in their mouths. And they share everything - food, drinks, pencils. Not to talk about their phone's and the latest craze spinners, or the germs on their desks, purses, backpacks, and sporting equipment. From my observation, high school kids spread/share just as many germs as elementary school kids. And there are three times as many kids in the high school, so three times the amount of germs.

Wash your hands with soap and water but easier to use the wipes on door handles etc in the cabin.

So you wipe the handles every time you enter your cabin? I've never done that on any ship.

Also, I travel with my job and have spent more nights in hotels than I can remember. I've never wiped anything down including the remote.

What do you do on planes - do you wipe down the arm rests, the tray? When you touch a menu do you sanitize that also?

If someone sneezes nearby we turn around and walk in the other direction.

You must spend a lot of time turning around.

I'm a US Gov employee and earn sick leave. I have been working part time (25-32 hours per week, currently 32) for 20+ years and I have over 650 hours of sick leave banked. Does that tell you how little sick leave I need a year? And, I can use it for dr's appts, care of family, and my own illness. I do none of the things that some people on this thread do, yet I am rarely sick and when I am, it's almost never more than a day or two in length. I've taken maybe two days of personal sick leave for illness in the last 5 years. In fact, in my current job that I've been in for 20 months, I've never been sick enough to stay home and people sneeze at work all the time lol.

You must spend a lot of time turning around.

I'm a US Gov employee and earn sick leave. I have been working part time (25-32 hours per week, currently 32) for 20+ years and I have over 650 hours of sick leave banked. Does that tell you how little sick leave I need a year? And, I can use it for dr's appts, care of family, and my own illness. I do none of the things that some people on this thread do, yet I am rarely sick and when I am, it's almost never more than a day or two in length. I've taken maybe two days of personal sick leave for illness in the last 5 years. In fact, in my current job that I've been in for 20 months, I've never been sick enough to stay home and people sneeze at work all the time lol.

My wife works for the British government and has had 2 sick days in 10 years.

My wife works for the British government and has had 2 sick days in 10 years.

I retired from the US Federal government after 30 years of service. I used 13 sick days in 30 years and some of those were because my kids were sick.

We have not been sick on a cruise, but DW had a reaction to all the disinfectant they were spraying in our cabin and on the ship. The cruise before us has the norovirus and the stewards were trying to make sure we didn't catch it. On another cruise the spraying was too much again, so we asked the stewards to back off on the disinfectant.

Since the OP asked about airborne viruses, my tip is to not let the fan/vent in the plane blow directly on you! DH and I were always getting sick after flying. Fortunately we figured it out, and knock on wood... First thing we do when getting into our airplane seat is to turn off the fan above us -- or at least angle it away from our faces.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since the OP asked about airborne viruses, my tip is to not let the fan/vent in the plane blow directly on you! DH and I were always getting sick after flying. Fortunately we figured it out, and knock on wood... First thing we do when getting into our airplane seat is to turn off the fan above us -- or at least angle it away from our faces.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good idea, personally we rub tea tree oil on our nostrils which seems to stop any viruses.

I don't do anything different than I would do at work ( I work in a special education school). As far as Noro virus the hand sanitizer does nothing. My sister's best friend ( she is a doctor with her own practice) sent me an e-mail with a link from the CDC stateing that the noro virus is not killed by alcohol based hand gels. Good old fashion soap and water. And for hard surfaces Bleach!!

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

It appears they help, but are not as good as hand washing. From the CDC:

"

• Practice proper hand hygiene
    Wash your hands carefully with soap and water, especially after using the toilet and changing diapers and always before eating or preparing food. If soap and water aren’t available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. These alcohol-based products can help reduce the number of germs on your hands, but they are not a substitute for washing with soap and water."

https://www.cdc.gov/features/norovirus/index.html