How Many Cruises A Year Are Too Many??

Old wives tale. Patients in a true nursing home could not survive on a cruise ship

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Depends. Some areas don't have assisted living facilities and people have to choose a nursing home if they just need assistance. I've talked to several people who choose to cruise instead of going into assisted living. There was a woman in Houston (Thelma) that booked every single cruise for as long as Princess sailed out of there. The waiters even cut her meat up for her. And we talked to a lady who said she had purchased a cabin on the Westerdam and planned to just go wherever the ship went for the rest of her life. Her children booked weeks on the ship from time to time to visit her. So it does happen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's cheaper than a nursing home and a lot more fun too........

Gwen [emoji3]

Old wives tale. Patients in a true nursing home could not survive on a cruise ship

Depending on the patient..........true story, we were on another line about 20 years ago and during the show the audience was introduced to "Mrs. Whyndam" of the hotel chain. She was traveling with her private nurse and was going to change ships when our cruise ended. She had been on this ship for 6 months and was changing ship for the next 6 months for a change of scenery. Mrs Whyndam was in a wheelchair, and her nurse was dressed all in white as a nurse of old. The staff were planning her a farewell party on the last night.

She saw some family on changeover days, sometimes her great grand children would even cruise with her. Her age seemed to be in the low 90's, and she appeared in good health. Dr. appointments were also taken care of on changeover days..

Here's a woman who could be "put" anywhere, and she chose to cruise. She knew all the staff/crew/officers by name and rarely missed a show.

Depends. Some areas don't have assisted living facilities and people have to choose a nursing home if they just need assistance. I've talked to several people who choose to cruise instead of going into assisted living. There was a woman in Houston (Thelma) that booked every single cruise for as long as Princess sailed out of there. The waiters even cut her meat up for her. And we talked to a lady who said she had purchased a cabin on the Westerdam and planned to just go wherever the ship went for the rest of her life. Her children booked weeks on the ship from time to time to visit her. So it does happen.

Did they bathe her, did they dress her, did they change her diapers? Cruise ships are not assisted living. Heck, even assisted living won't do some of that stuff.

Depending on the patient..........true story, we were on another line about 20 years ago and during the show the audience was introduced to "Mrs. Whyndam" of the hotel chain. She was traveling with her private nurse and was going to change ships when our cruise ended. She had been on this ship for 6 months and was changing ship for the next 6 months for a change of scenery. Mrs Whyndam was in a wheelchair, and her nurse was dressed all in white as a nurse of old. The staff were planning her a farewell party on the last night.

She saw some family on changeover days, sometimes her great grand children would even cruise with her. Her age seemed to be in the low 90's, and she appeared in good health. Dr. appointments were also taken care of on changeover days..

Here's a woman who could be "put" anywhere, and she chose to cruise. She knew all the staff/crew/officers by name and rarely missed a show.

If you are traveling with your personal nurse, it is no longer cheaper than a nursing home. Correct?

We went on our first cruise 3 years ago with a plan to do one a year. Well, some pretty hard things happened in life and in October we are finally going on our 2nd cruise. I have 2 cruises booked for us for 2018 and I think that is our plan if we can until we retire, which is still quite a ways away. We have limited vacation and have family in other states that we must visit too with some of our time off.

Did they bathe her, did they dress her, did they change her diapers? Cruise ships are not assisted living. Heck, even assisted living won't do some of that stuff.

Obviously, these people do not need 24/7 nursing care. But they need someone to cook for them, clean for them, do laundry for them, check in on them from time to time and just assist them. For some people, it IS a viable alternative to assisted living.

How do you permanently book a cabin on a cruise? You must have to book months in advance to guarantee the same cabin every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Obviously, these people do not need 24/7 nursing care. But they need someone to cook for them, clean for them, do laundry for them, check in on them from time to time and just assist them. For some people, it IS a viable alternative to assisted living.

Ok, but then assisted living is cheaper than a nursing home.

And don't forget that a lot of people in nursing homes are on the state, so they don't pay anything.

I really don't mean to be argumentative, but I know people in nursing homes. They either couldn't manage, or afford life on a ship. It's really just a fantasy. Getting old is hard.

How do you permanently book a cabin on a cruise? You must have to book months in advance to guarantee the same cabin every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, Thelma said she booked 3 years at a time. PCL sailed out of Houston from April to September each year at that time. She was probably 86-88 years old. I've wondered what she did when Princess pulled out of Houston.

Ok, but then assisted living is cheaper than a nursing home.

And don't forget that a lot of people in nursing homes are on the state, so they don't pay anything.

I really don't mean to be argumentative, but I know people in nursing homes. They either couldn't manage, or afford life on a ship. It's really just a fantasy. Getting old is hard.

We have a lot of tier level care facilities in NJ. Starts at independent living, where you only need main meals prepared, and maybe help with upkeep of your small apartment. Then as needs change you are moved to assisted living, where help is also needed with meds, bathing and dressing, and finally nursing home care, when you need help with basically everything.

Assisted living, at least in NJ, is less than half the cost of a nursing home, and independent living, is about half that, about $3,000/month. I was writing checks for $12,000/month for a shared room for my Mom. There is no way someone that needs a nursing home could ever live on a cruise ship. A person may be able to pull it off if they only need independent living in a care facility, where they only need meals prepared or assistance with upkeep of their living quarters.

They probably book as soon as itineraries are released.

If you are traveling with your personal nurse, it is no longer cheaper than a nursing home. Correct?

This was just an option for Mrs Wyndam, her nurse sailed free plus taxes as they shared a room. The nurse was paid a salary by the family, but there was no cook, no shopper or housekeeper needed, no car expensives, just personal tasks that the nurse preformed. I'm sure she could have lived in a suite in one of her hotels along with her nurse, that option would have been more expensive along with no changing views but choose to cruise.:halo:

This was just an option for Mrs Wyndam, her nurse sailed free plus taxes as they shared a room. The nurse was paid a salary by the family, but there was no cook, no shopper or housekeeper needed, no car expensives, just personal tasks that the nurse preformed. I'm sure she could have lived in a suite in one of her hotels along with her nurse, that option would have been more expensive along with no changing views but choose to cruise.:halo:

Not really free because as a frequent cruiser Mrs Wyndam would have likely qualified for a reduced supplement if she sailed solo. On Royal it's 150% once you have 350 points. Plus as a solo you build points faster towards free cruises. [emoji6]

I wonder how much a private nurse costs?

Edited by John&LaLa
Y

Not really free because as a frequent cruiser Mrs Wyndam would have likely qualified for a reduced supplement if she sailed solo. On Royal it's 150% once you have 350 points. Plus as a solo you build points faster towards free cruises. [emoji6]

I wonder how much a private nurse costs?

This was another cruise line, can you believe Carnival?? Not sure how they handle solo cabins, but Mrs Wyndam was in a wheel chair and did need assistance.

My point was with all her money, she choose to cruise!!

We hired a private nurse for my Mom so we could have a nice dinner occasionally, Under the table price was $15 per hour. This was early 2016.

This was another cruise line, can you believe Carnival?? Not sure how they handle solo cabins, but Mrs Wyndam was in a wheel chair and did need assistance.

My point was with all her money, she choose to cruise!!

We hired a private nurse for my Mom so we could have a nice dinner occasionally, Under the table price was $15 per hour. This was early 2016.

She chose Carnival. [emoji33]

Hi Jenna,

So sorry about your mum. I am also from the north west of the uk. You are so right you have got to take every chance to can to travel, no one knows what is round the corner. I am disabled and my husband does not like to travel so 7 years ago I left him at home and went (complete with mobility scooter) on my first cruise. I had the best time and now every year I go on a cruise with a friend. So go for it, your mum would be so pleased.

Hi Jenna,

So sorry about your mum. I am also from the north west of the uk. You are so right you have got to take every chance to can to travel, no one knows what is round the corner. I am disabled and my husband does not like to travel so 7 years ago I left him at home and went (complete with mobility scooter) on my first cruise. I had the best time and now every year I go on a cruise with a friend. So go for it, your mum would be so pleased.

Thanks scooter, I miss her so much but trying to live for her. 'Time is precious, waste it wisely' was one of her favourite quotes.

I'm glad you still manage to travel aswell!!

Also were pretty much neighbours then, I'm from manchester 😄😄

Sent from my SM-G925F using Forums mobile app

Depends on your situation. We aren't retired (super sad face) and we cruise once a year sometimes twice and do at least two other land vacations. We love cruising but we also love all inclusive beach vacations and trips to Vegas. We like to experience it all!

Maybe. For the year beginning July 1, 2017 and ending June 30, 2018:

+ 7-day Alaska cruise on RCI Radiance of the Seas [Completed]

+ 30-day passage on freighter Rickmers Jakarta (Houston-Antwerp) [Pending]

+ 12-day Hurtigruten (Bergen-Kirkenes-Bergen) [Mulling over, not yet booked]

+ 15-day TA on RCI Independence of the Seas (Southampton-FLL) [Pending]

+ 113-day World Cruise on HAL Amsterdam [Pending]

+ 7-Night Adriatic cruise on MSC Poesia [Mulling over, not yet booked]

Our relatives & Rotary Club miss us.

First let me say.....we are retired, we love to cruise and we never book anything we can't pay for in full.

That being said....this year we cruised in January, March and are booked to cruise in November. Found a great deal on another one in October that hubby wants to book.:o:o.

I have always been the conservative one in the family and had to handle all the bills and save all the money. While I am very tempted, a part of me still wants to be that conservative one, even though it's not necessary anymore.

Anyone else start getting cold feet when you think you have booked "too many"......:confused::confused:

Uh, no.:confused:

We have taken 5 in the last 15 months and are hoping to take another this fall, if I can find a good deal. I have not found it hectic at all. Planning for our May 2018 Alaska cruise is proving to be a challenge but lots of people are now posting reviews, so that is helping.

I still work and travel with my job, so it was very hectic for me.