Cabin availability

joe d

I have been looking for a cabin in a specific category for a cruise in late October. I have been tracking it for about a week and a half hoping there would be a sale. Over that period they have sold 3 cabins in that category. This morning I decided to go ahead and book it. There were 20 cabins available when I checked this morning but when my TA tried to book one he was told they were all waitlisted and Princess offered a much more expensive option. I refused. This is the second time in a row that Princess has done something similar to this.

I have been looking for a cabin in a specific category for a cruise in late October. I have been tracking it for about a week and a half hoping there would be a sale. Over that period they have sold 3 cabins in that category. This morning I decided to go ahead and book it. There were 20 cabins available when I checked this morning but when my TA tried to book one he was told they were all waitlisted and Princess offered a much more expensive option. I refused. This is the second time in a row that Princess has done something similar to this.

This happens all the time.

I have learned that when I see what I want I book.

I can deal with the price later or cancel if need be.

Many times I have not and come back and everything is sold out.

Keep checking they may show available online again.

That's too bad. You should get on the wait list if you want to go on the cruise. The best thing to do when you have a specific cabin or area you want to be in, is to book it and price watch it. If the price goes down then take the discount then. Be sure when you do book for something like this that the deposit is refundable. There are times when Princess does a non refundable deposit.

You are probably within final payment now for an October cruise, Get waitlisted if you want to go. You will have to pay a deposit and then be at the mercy of current pricing when it comes available. That deposit will be refundable if nothing opens up or if you choose not to go when you see the price.

I would also book direct, so if you see a cabin open up you can get on with Princess immediately instead of having to wait for your TA to do it.

Just to clarify things I am quite familiar with booking Princess Cruises, I have booked 15 of them and usually book at least a year ahead. The reason I did not book this one earlier is that my wife was supposed to have a knee replacement in September and the deposit was non refundable. Once it became clear her operation has been delayed we decided to book this cruise.

Back to the story of this booking. This morning I logged onto to Princess and found a cabin at the in the category I wanted. I immediately e-mailed my TA who immediately called Princess. By the time he got through the cabin was gone. Now I can understand missing the booking but what I can't understand why it was not assigned to someone on the waitlist (I am on the waitlist). Not only was I not assigned the cabin but I am in the same place on the waitlist as I was before.

Just to clarify things I am quite familiar with booking Princess Cruises, I have booked 15 of them and usually book at least a year ahead. The reason I did not book this one earlier is that my wife was supposed to have a knee replacement in September and the deposit was non refundable. Once it became clear her operation has been delayed we decided to book this cruise.

Back to the story of this booking. This morning I logged onto to Princess and found a cabin at the in the category I wanted. I immediately e-mailed my TA who immediately called Princess. By the time he got through the cabin was gone. Now I can understand missing the booking but what I can't understand why it was not assigned to someone on the waitlist (I am on the waitlist). Not only was I not assigned the cabin but I am in the same place on the waitlist as I was before.

Well I checked back with Princess and there were 3 cabins available. I didn't bother calling anyone. I booked it myself.

Congratulations on getting the cabin you wanted.

I always book the cabin I want on the Princess Website then call my TA and transfer the booking to her and she applies her discount and whatever perks she has available.

"Strike while the Iron is hot"

Well I checked back with Princess and there were 3 cabins available. I didn't bother calling anyone. I booked it myself.

Forgive my bluntness, but that's what you should have done in the first place. If you see something you like pounce on it--don't wait for a sale or a TA to do it for you. Lock it in. If there is a sale later you can always adjust the price.