Holiday staff gift

aquawater2

Celebrity system is that passengers are free to remove the ' Auto Gratuities'. What gives a poster the right to request a passenger not to cruise for following an procedure approved by the Cruise line ? If and when Celebrity change their policy I will reconsider whether to cruise with them or not.

When I look for a cruise it is the product that is on offer that decides whether I book or not. I am afraid the opinion of a poster on this forum as to my suitability to embark on a cruise is hilarious and mildly risible.

Strange that on our cruise in January 2 members of staff separately approached our group with a very enthusiastic welcome ( they saw us first). Their service was , as usual outstanding. Perhaps they simply liked the joviality and politeness of our group.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are kidding yourself if you think crew are happy to serve you and receive no gratuity/service charge from you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

British people do tip when in the USA

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Forums mobile app

If that's true then why are the other two UK'ers on this thread removing the gratuities? They're US cruise lines. And I'd love to hear from those two to find out if they tip at restaurants in the US as you say. Why tip there but not similarly on a US ship?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

On a side note American tourists never tip anybody in the UK,because we pay our workers a living wage

Rubbish. Having accompanied many American friends in restaurants and bars in this country, they do tip and excessively generously when in our country. Staff receiving such tips accept them with gratitude where the same staff would point out to those from other countries that they may have made an error.

If that's true then why are the other two UK'ers on this thread removing the gratuities? They're US cruise lines. And I'd love to hear from those two to find out if they tip at restaurants in the US as you say. Why tip there but not similarly on a US ship?

I think there is more than 2 UK cruisers that use American ships,

Put that aside what would you tip a restaurant worker in the UK?

The American culture of tipping is so outdated and the way American companies treat their staff is more like slavery than a person who dose not tip.

American people need to stand up and realise that they are been taken for a ride

Please do not tar us all with the same brush and I will not call all Americans hypocrites when one or two of them post on Cruise Critic about refusing to tip.

I think there is more than 2 UK cruisers that use American ships,

Put that aside what would you tip a restaurant worker in the UK?

The American culture of tipping is so outdated and the way American companies treat their staff is more like slavery than a person who dose not tip.

American people need to stand up and realise that they are been taken for a ride

I've been to UK restaurants that charge a service fee plus I always round up my bill. If it's £18, I'll leave £20.

There have been some US restaurants that tried to build the tip into the price of the food. None were successful as far as I know. Prices got too high and waitstaff had no incentive to be the best they can. Why handle 5 tables when I get the same salary as the other waiter who handles 4?

Bottom line is that you're not going to change an entire industry so why hurt workers?

And to other Brits, not trying to paint with a broad brush but every time this topic comes up, it's usually someone from the UK that refuses to accept the system in place. I know you don't all do it.

I've been to UK restaurants that charge a service fee plus I always round up my bill. If it's £18, I'll leave £20.

There have been some US restaurants that tried to build the tip into the price of the food. None were successful as far as I know. Prices got too high and waitstaff had no incentive to be the best they can. Why handle 5 tables when I get the same salary as the other waiter who handles 4?

Bottom line is that you're not going to change an entire industry so why hurt workers?

And to other Brits, not trying to paint with a broad brush but every time this topic comes up, it's usually someone from the UK that refuses to accept the system in place. I know you don't all do it.

I also don't believe that every American tips

Just out of interest I hope you're not referring to me as one of the non - tippers and thereby to quote you a " turd". If you are, then please let me know so I can refer the matter on. I have never not tipped the expected amount and if you insinuate that I am then you wrong.

Your arguments are all over the place - you asserted that the reason why the cruiselines pay their staff nothing is to get better service. And then change your argument quoting US restaurants. These are not US restaurants they are Cruuse Ships employing foreign workers often outside US jurisdiction. Many other cruiselines are able to offer full service without tips, so your argument is weak.

It might have some relevance to quote the appalling low hourly wages in the US as rational for making people work harder if the US were the gold standard in service. It isn't.

Edited by DYKWIA

Statistics from restaurant associations indicate that 99% of patrons tip after a sit down restaurant meal in the US.

Tipping at buffets and fast food restaurants is considerably less.

Data on hairdresser tips is hard to come by since so many are self-employed.

Statistics for taxi drivers are easier to collect now that so many take credit cards so there is now a virtual "paper trail". Previous data are thus undoubtedly inaccurate.

All service charges added in U.K. Restaurants. (a practice mainly in London, typically 10-12.5%) are entirely discretionary and can be removed and should be stated as such on the menu

You will not be thought of as a turd, sick, or chased out of the restaurant if you don't tip - that's UK service for you.

If you are tipping on top, you suggest £2 on £18 if you've already paid a service charge then you're heading into the 20-25% tip territory. This might be considered as being "flash with the cash"in the U.K., this is not the norm, culturally insensitive and generally considered pretty vulgar

Whilst staff will happily take your money it's worth checking they actually get to keep your generosity. Some companies, controversially don't allow staff to keep the tips, particularly if paying in card.

?We have prepaid tips for a holiday sailing. I would like to make small gift bags with extra tip and treats. Any ideas of things to include?

Let's get this thread back to the OP's question.

They are asking for recommendations for a small gift bag for the workers. They know that cash is king ( extra tip) They want some ideas for something that may be useful and not become a burden or overload their cabin.

It isn't right to turn thread into a another ugly bashing thread about groups of people that tip and not tip.

There was a hostess in Blu that collected Starbucks coffee mugs that had the city on it. She said that when she went home her luggage was full of them.

A waiter told us that he only drank Sanka instant coffee and always bought some when in a port when he could find it.

Even though a lot of items are supplied on ships they do go out to get something different, it may be a bag of chips, or gum. The only problem is you don't know what they really like or would use.

The OP is just asking a simple question to get suggestions from those that may know. The worker may toss it or give it to someone that wants, or uses it. We have all given or received gifts that were never used or regifted.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Quite concerned by how this post developed. ...The OP started by asking for suggestions about suitable 'Thank you' ideas for staff on holiday cruises...

The OP received a clear message that cash is well appreciated. Other posters gave examples of candy or small gifts also being valued whilst others pointed out some possible issues with this...A good and useful discussion.

Nice to keep to the topic at hand...Sometimes posts do 'evolve' but they should not result in unpleasantness...

Edited by chemmo

Did you do Abu Dabi to Singapore cruise yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, we had to change to a different sailing due to our flights being booked with Qatar. As you are probably aware, when the UAE stopped allowing flights over their airspace, we were left with a slight problem :confused:. Not only that, our regional flights were cancelled and the X itinerary was also changed (losing a port stop and gaining another sea day and we already had quite a few). So, we thought it was all stacking up against us and decided it was a sign to move to a different sailing (we were able to cancel all flights without penalties).

Ironically, we're now booked on a Caribbean cruise over Christmas & New Year :eek:. We don't mind which islands we eventually port at. We will get to India one of these days :). Are you still booked for your sailing?

Sorry to OP for detracting from original question, but we did meet this lovely lady (Flamencacha) on a holiday sailing - so it's more relevant than some posts :D.

Unfortunately, we had to change to a different sailing due to our flights being booked with Qatar. As you are probably aware, when the UAE stopped allowing flights over their airspace, we were left with a slight problem :confused:. Not only that, our regional flights were cancelled and the X itinerary was also changed (losing a port stop and gaining another sea day and we already had quite a few). So, we thought it was all stacking up against us and decided it was a sign to move to a different sailing (we were able to cancel all flights without penalties).

Ironically, we're now booked on a Caribbean cruise over Christmas & New Year :eek:. We don't mind which islands we eventually port at. We will get to India one of these days :). Are you still booked for your sailing?

Sorry to OP for detracting from original question, but we did meet this lovely lady (Flamencacha) on a holiday sailing - so it's more relevant than some posts :D.

If they will indulge just a bit more. Yes I am still booked also got a good price drop. I was going to ask you about flights.

My son lives in Miami and yes he is under hurricane conditions. The British Virgin Islands, St Thomas, and St Marteen are in extremely sad shape . PuertoRico will be fine. Some cruise lines are talking about western itineraries.

I will be in Miami during that time frame email me with your details flamencacha@ aol.com.

Not sure if you're aware but in the uk we do not have the 'price promise' that is available to USA and Canadian cruisers . My February cruise has just been reduced in price by over £400 and I will therefore be removing the gratuity to compensate for the reduction . Some on here will complain at what I'm doing but surely we should all be tested the same !

Not sure if you're aware but in the uk we do not have the 'price promise' that is available to USA and Canadian cruisers . My February cruise has just been reduced in price by over £400 and I will therefore be removing the gratuity to compensate for the reduction . Some on here will complain at what I'm doing but surely we should all be tested the same !

As long as you can sleep at night. By doing this, who are you hurting? The cruise line? Absolutely not. You are hurting the hard working little man/woman trying to feed their children....but bravo to you!!!!

BTW....I have NEVER, EVER even THOUGHT of screwing the workers after seeing a price drop after final payment. Who would even think of that????? Oh......wait......YOU!!!!

Edited by champagne123

That's how to get back at the cruise line or maybe not, because they will only think you had bad service, because they will never figure out that you were penalized the crew for a corporate decision that the crew has no say in. Please make sure you tell your Cabin Steward and Waiter and Asst. Waiter why you are removing it, so if they are asked about the service, they can explain why you removed the gratuity.

Before you do that, make sure that second price point includes all the perks you may have received.

Anyway that said, it's not the way to get back at the cruise line. I can feel your pain happens a lot in the 90 day window, so I would suggest you book closer to sail date or quit following the price fluctuations once you book.

It's not the right thing to do!

From the UK subject to the same terms and conditions. We would never financially penalise the wonderful staff on board because of a corporate policy.

Readers, please be aware most frequent U.K. Cruisers support paying the gratuities, we simply see them as part of our cruise costs. We also have no issues giving generous additional tips for excellent service.

It has been suggested that a cruise vacation is not right for everyone. I agree with the suggestion that if you aren't willing to tip, you shouldn't cruise on a line which uses this setup. I will also suggest that if you think it is right to punish the staff when a price drops, then cruising probably isn't for you either.