Airline Seat Reservation Problems

Amtico

We are booked through Princess Air. Flights between the UK and USA.

The flights are dual airline flights (Lufthansa & United).

The return flights are United flight numbers but are actually on Lufthansa planes. My problem is that I cannot reserve advance seats on these. Lufthansa will not open this until 23 hours in advance of flight.

I have spoken to people at Lufthansa and United. My TA has spoken to Princess Air at length.

I'm told by United that Lufthansa could offer us reservations but as we have the United flight number, they are just being awkward. (To change to a Lufthansa flight number would cost in excess of £1000 for the exact same flight).

My OH has a leg injury, so we always pay extra for 'extra leg room' on long haul flights - as this flight is around 11 hours, it's vital.

23 hours in advance of the flight we will be at sea and it is likely there will be no economy plus seats available anyway.

After many years of travel this is the first time I've encountered this problem. Even when we have had dual airline flights.

Can anyone suggest anything?

OK, couple things here. First, your flights are "code-shared". Second, the important thing is who owns the plane you are actually flying on. The plane owner's rules are what matters, not any of the other airlines that are code-sharing on that flight.

So, as I understand it, Lufthansa's policy is seats aren't assigned in coach (perhaps, unless you pay extra) until T-24, or T-23. That is what matters.

See if you can get the Lufthansa booking number, and go on the Lufthansa website with that booking number. (NOT the United booking number). See what you can do that way. We do this all the time, but we are usually in Business, and the rules are different there.

It is also quite possible you can get your seat assignments on line, so you will need internet access on the ship.

OK, couple things here. First, your flights are "code-shared". Second, the important thing is who owns the plane you are actually flying on. The plane owner's rules are what matters, not any of the other airlines that are code-sharing on that flight.

So, as I understand it, Lufthansa's policy is seats aren't assigned in coach (perhaps, unless you pay extra) until T-24, or T-23. That is what matters.

I'm 100% willing to pay extra to book in advance, I would like indeed expect to do this.

As the return flight is a United code but a Lufthansa flight they will not let me reserve any seats, even if I pay (until 23 hours before flight). If we had a Lufthansa code for this flight we would be able to, allegedly.

Yes I've tried using the Lufthansa booking number too - reservations are unavailable.

We had a similar problem for our cruise a few months ago. We were taking British Airways from Rome- London and then a British Airways flight with a code share for American Airlines. We were able to select a seat for the Rome-London flight on EZ Air but the London to USA flight on BA with the American code share we could not. I called EZ Air (actually it was Princess customer service and they called EZ Air . Said they could not transfer me) at least 3 or 4 times. Each time no one could figure out what the issue was as to why I could not select a seat. I did not want to wait until T-24 hours for a free seat so reluctantly went onto BA site and paid money for our seats. I was really disappointed in EZ air because you are not supposed to have to pay for seats (and in fact I did not have to pay for the Rome -London leg because it was not a code share).

I would suggest you call the airline to pay for the seats you want.

We had a similar problem for our cruise a few months ago. We were taking British Airways from Rome- London and then a British Airways flight with a code share for American Airlines. We were able to select a seat for the Rome-London flight on EZ Air but the London to USA flight on BA with the American code share we could not. I called EZ Air (actually it was Princess customer service and they called EZ Air . Said they could not transfer me) at least 3 or 4 times. Each time no one could figure out what the issue was as to why I could not select a seat. I did not want to wait until T-24 hours for a free seat so reluctantly went onto BA site and paid money for our seats. I was really disappointed in EZ air because you are not supposed to have to pay for seats (and in fact I did not have to pay for the Rome -London leg because it was not a code share).

I would suggest you call the airline to pay for the seats you want.

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried to do this but cannot. There is no seat map and just the message 'reservations unavailable until 23 hours before flight'.

I was also told the same when I called - although obvs Lufthansa are allowing reservations if you have their flight number and not the United one I have.

VERY frustrating!

The return flights are United flight numbers but are actually on Lufthansa planes. My problem is that I cannot reserve advance seats on these. Lufthansa will not open this until 23 hours in advance of flight.

I have spoken to people at Lufthansa and United. My TA has spoken to Princess Air at length.

I'm told by United that Lufthansa could offer us reservations but as we have the United flight number, they are just being awkward. (To change to a Lufthansa flight number would cost in excess of £1000 for the exact same flight).

My OH has a leg injury, so we always pay extra for 'extra leg room' on long haul flights - as this flight is around 11 hours, it's vital.

23 hours in advance of the flight we will be at sea and it is likely there will be no economy plus seats available anyway.

After many years of travel this is the first time I've encountered this problem. Even when we have had dual airline flights.

Run into this problem all the time on Air France, can get seats from usa to Europe but not from Europe to the middle east. Only thing I can do is get on line and select seats 30 hours before flight... so I would suggest, you get some internet time on board the ship. Before you leave home, sign in to the airline web site, so that you have already set up a password and it will take less time to to sign in on the cruise ship. Explore the airline site -- like you are booking a flight, so you can see how you can select seat assignments on line as well... check out if you and review your reservations... sometimes you can see how seat assignments are done that way. Each airline web site is different... play with it ahead of time so you know how it works. Good luck... not easy..

For future ref, we avoid booking through cruise lines, so we are in control of our booking... I also avoid booking a code share flight... if at all possible booking directly with one airline and that same airline on all connecting flights... even so, I still can't get seat assignments in advance for flights going from Europe to the Middle east due to Air France airline rules.

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried to do this but cannot. There is no seat map and just the message 'reservations unavailable until 23 hours before flight'.

I was also told the same when I called - although obvs Lufthansa are allowing reservations if you have their flight number and not the United one I have.

VERY frustrating!

I can't remember who gave me the booking# for our London-USA flight (already had the American airlines number) but it was either American, British Airways or EZAir. I would call all the airlines and ask for the number . Once you have it see if it helps with getting a seat reservation.

Run into this problem all the time on Air France, can get seats from usa to Europe but not from Europe to the middle east. Only thing I can do is get on line and select seats 30 hours before flight... so I would suggest, you get some internet time on board the ship. Before you leave home, sign in to the airline web site, so that you have already set up a password and it will take less time to to sign in on the cruise ship. Explore the airline site -- like you are booking a flight, so you can see how you can select seat assignments on line as well... check out if you and review your reservations... sometimes you can see how seat assignments are done that way. Each airline web site is different... play with it ahead of time so you know how it works. Good luck... not easy..

For future ref, we avoid booking through cruise lines, so we are in control of our booking... I also avoid booking a code share flight... if at all possible booking directly with one airline and that same airline on all connecting flights... even so, I still can't get seat assignments in advance for flights going from Europe to the Middle east due to Air France airline rules.

Yes I'm beginning to think there is no way round this and I've exhausted all possibilities!

This is a cruise we had a Princess 'move over' to, so they were offering us an airline discount amount if we booked it through them. Lesson learnt.

Thanks very much for your advice.

This is happening more and more. I have blood clot issues and we have been traveling first or business the last five years. We are traveling to Berlin with friends and she found flights for us. They did not offer business so I booked coach so we would not only be together but they were terrific connections. I figured I would be able to switch to business later. Those flights have not appeared in the past eight months. It was through American, but listed as British Airways, yet we are on an Aer Lingus flight. I spent hours calling American, then British Airways and finally found an Aer Lingus rep that helped me. For some reason we could not select seats or switch to first class. American said I could only do that at check in. I was worried because there were only middle seats left on all our flights. There is no way I could last in a middle seat for 11 hours.

I did notice that there were some nice exit row seats available. I mentioned this to the rep and she managed to get them for the four of us. I hope they are worth the extra cost but I still am going to see if I can get moved to first class - hopefully there are still some available to buy.

The seats do not show on our personalizer or the airline website. I did call the airline back and told her they are not showing up but she said it will be ok. I asked for an email confirmation of the seats but she said they could not do that. I am taking proof of payment and keeping my fingers crossed that we get the exit row seats but I am still afraid I will have issues with my legs. I would love to bring a blow up ottoman, so I can get my feet up .

So, after all that, see if you can get the flight number of the airline you are on and call them. Good luck.

We booked Princess EZ air several months ago. The website showed American Airlines or British Air. Actually

was the same flight but British Air plane. We chose to book it with British Air so we could select seats.

Had we booked AA, seats were not available to reserve.This wise decision was made by our very capable travel agent to go with BA.

This morning wanted to upgrade seat and had no problem dealing with BA direct so wise decision.

You do not mention how far away your cruise/flight is. Princess does not ticket the air until 45 days before, even though your cruise will be paid for 75 days ahead of time.

You need to submit a Flexible Early Ticketing Request. Princess will then pay for your flight and you will be able to pick seats. You cannot pick seats until the tickets are PAID for.

I have done this many times with no problems. I have attached a copy of the form you need to submit.

Good Luck!

Flexible_Early_Ticketing_Request-Princess (1) (1).pdf

You do not mention how far away your cruise/flight is. Princess does not ticket the air until 45 days before, even though your cruise will be paid for 75 days ahead of time.

You need to submit a Flexible Early Ticketing Request. Princess will then pay for your flight and you will be able to pick seats. You cannot pick seats until the tickets are PAID for.

I have done this many times with no problems. I have attached a copy of the form you need to submit.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply.

The flight is already paid for and ticketed by Princess. :)

Good Luck!

Princess had paid for my seats but I still could not pick my seats. I truly believe it is because it was a code share with British Airways and they charge for seats. I think the code share was the key to the problem because I had no problem picking seats on the British Airways flight that was not a code share.

I still say to call the airlines, EZ air or whatever to ask for the flight number of the plane you are actually on.

On some airlines like American if you get their Basic Economy seats then you can not reserve seats until you check into the flight. Others like Air Canada want to charge you $20 extra per seat to do that and if they use another airline for a follow on leg you are completely out of luck. Happens everytime I book flights to Vancouver. Hope you can work it out. You can always get someone to check you in and get the seats you need.

you need to call Princess and get them to give you the Lufthansa locator. Then you'll be able to pay in advance with LH online.

Make sure you know the United one and the Princess one, so if they try to give you one of those instead, you know.

LH will have its own locator for the code share. Likely the Princess air person will have to call United to get it for you.

A bit confusing as it sounds like the "health issue" was not the highest priority when booking. If it was I assume only reservations would have been made that allowed assigned seating at the time of booking. Now it appears to be the priority.

Perhaps paying the extra dollars, no matter how much is the answer. Hard lesson to learn but if the health issue is truly a concern dollars shouldn't matter.

Is this return flight a direct flight? I was not aware that Lufthansa flew direct between USA and UK.

Is this return flight a direct flight? I was not aware that Lufthansa flew direct between USA and UK.

No, it's from San Francisco to Frankfurt. Then we have a connecting flight to Manchester, UK - cannot reserve seats on this either but due to flight length it's not our priority.

I agree with eatdrinkfly; don't give up until you have tried the Lufthansa record locator on their website. And yes, there are 3 record locators associated with your air booking.

Thank you both - I'll look in to this one today. :)

A bit confusing as it sounds like the "health issue" was not the highest priority when booking. If it was I assume only reservations would have been made that allowed assigned seating at the time of booking. Now it appears to be the priority.

Perhaps paying the extra dollars, no matter how much is the answer. Hard lesson to learn but if the health issue is truly a concern dollars shouldn't matter.

As we are seasoned travellers, have travelled back and forth over the Atlantic many times (quite a few times on dual flight codes) and never encountered this problem before - we simply weren't aware. Now we are.

This is happening more and more. I have blood clot issues and we have been traveling first or business the last five years. We are traveling to Berlin with friends and she found flights for us. They did not offer business so I booked coach so we would not only be together but they were terrific connections. I figured I would be able to switch to business later. Those flights have not appeared in the past eight months. It was through American, but listed as British Airways, yet we are on an Aer Lingus flight. I spent hours calling American, then British Airways and finally found an Aer Lingus rep that helped me. For some reason we could not select seats or switch to first class. American said I could only do that at check in. I was worried because there were only middle seats left on all our flights. There is no way I could last in a middle seat for 11 hours.

I did notice that there were some nice exit row seats available. I mentioned this to the rep and she managed to get them for the four of us. I hope they are worth the extra cost but I still am going to see if I can get moved to first class - hopefully there are still some available to buy.

The seats do not show on our personalizer or the airline website. I did call the airline back and told her they are not showing up but she said it will be ok. I asked for an email confirmation of the seats but she said they could not do that. I am taking proof of payment and keeping my fingers crossed that we get the exit row seats but I am still afraid I will have issues with my legs. I would love to bring a blow up ottoman, so I can get my feet up ��.

So, after all that, see if you can get the flight number of the airline you are on and call them. Good luck.

I fly Aer Lingus frequently to Dublin from Orlando. They do have good customer service most of the time. They do not have first class on any of their flights but do have excellent business class.

We've got the same issue with virgin and delta. Booked through virgin and can book those legs but the FLL to JFK and the Atlanta to FLL with delta, not a chance, both airlines say wait til 24 hours. We've paid for premium/business but with the limited numbers there's no way were seated together with 24 hrs to go. It's one of those frustrating first world problems for me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've run into seat selection issues with eZAir bookings because the flights showed tickets pending or on request status on the airlines' website. I have been told by the airlines that the itinerary is owned by the travel agent (eZAir) and they cannot make changes, including seat selection, unless they, the airline, owns the flights.

In my case, paying Princess for the flights and requesting early ticketing has been the answer. Once the flights are actually ticketed the airline can allow seat selection.

Ask the airlines involved whether having the tickets issued will make a difference in your case. Good luck!

No, it's from San Francisco to Frankfurt. Then we have a connecting flight to Manchester, UK - cannot reserve seats on this either but due to flight length it's not our priority.

This is not a Princess issue.

I fly Lufthansa pretty regularly (unfortunately) from Den-Frankfurt and Munich outside of cruising.

We have also had EZ Air flights through Princess on them as well.

Their policy is to only allow seat assignment within 24hrs of the flight.

I hate it but they are not the only airline to do this.

We have current EZ Air flights to Barcelona on United and even when unpaid it said the ticket was pending were still able to choose seats.