Compulsory Gratuties Return My Time Dining?

Has compulsory tips returned for My Time Dining?

I have just logged in to my Crown and Anchor Account and under On Board Preferences it says this about "My Time Dining"

Dining Preferences

Choose from a variety of dining

options in our main dining room,

including My Time DiningSM, My Family Time DiningSM,and our Traditional Dining service. My Time Dining

Enjoy the fine quality, ambiance and service offered in our main dining room and choose your dining time between 18:00 and 21:30. Once onboard your ship, you will have the convenience and flexibility to select the perfect dining time for each day of your cruise holiday.

Prepaid Gratuity will be automatically added to this reservation. Prepaid gratuities are required when you select My Time Dining. This gratuity is calculated for everyone in your reservation at a variable rate, depending on the length of cruise.

I've not heard anything about gratuities being required for MTD. I think it's more likely that you're looking at a web page that has not been updated.

Bob this under my current log in.

This is where you can change your preferences for dining.

Surely they have that right in Miami. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob this under my current log in.

This is where you can change your preferences for dining.

Surely they have that right in Miami. LOL

Well, you could be the first to notice a new policy change. We shall see if it's reported by anyone else.

Well, you could be the first to notice a new policy change. We shall see if it's reported by anyone else.

We are new to RC.

We are on Adventure in about 8 weeks. When we booked this cruise about a year ago, we chose MTD. That same message about prepaid gratuities was there. And they were added into our total price. Not having cruised RC before, we just assumed it was standard procedure.

We are new to RC.

We are on Adventure in about 8 weeks. When we booked this cruise about a year ago, we chose MTD. That same message about prepaid gratuities was there. And they were added into our total price. Not having cruised RC before, we just assumed it was standard procedure.

Probably too late to remove the gratuities now since you are beyond final payment, but you could call whoever booked your cruise and give it a try.

Probably too late to remove the gratuities now since you are beyond final payment, but you could call whoever booked your cruise and give it a try.

Honestly, I am ok with the gratuities already paid for. If someone provides outstanding service I will be sure to tip them additional. If I get subpar service then I will take that up with the person at that time.

And I booked the cruise through the RC website myself. I did not use a TA.

Honestly, I am ok with the gratuities already paid for. If someone provides outstanding service I will be sure to tip them additional. If I get subpar service then I will take that up with the person at that time.

And I booked the cruise through the RC website myself. I did not use a TA.

Understood. Just crazy that the website still adds gratuities to MTD bookings after all this time.

Currently have four reservations with MTD and no prepaid gratuities.

Agree that the onboard preferences area in my profile shows these are supposed to be added, but this page is old language and has nothing to do with an actual reservation.

Has compulsory tips returned for My Time Dining?

I have just logged in to my Crown and Anchor Account and under On Board Preferences it says this about "My Time Dining"

Dining Preferences

Choose from a variety of dining

options in our main dining room,

including My Time DiningSM, My Family Time DiningSM,and our Traditional Dining service. My Time Dining

Enjoy the fine quality, ambiance and service offered in our main dining room and choose your dining time between 18:00 and 21:30. Once onboard your ship, you will have the convenience and flexibility to select the perfect dining time for each day of your cruise holiday.

Prepaid Gratuity will be automatically added to this reservation. Prepaid gratuities are required when you select My Time Dining. This gratuity is calculated for everyone in your reservation at a variable rate, depending on the length of cruise.

They still quote that in the UK as well although it is apparently untrue.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I'm confused. We've cruised other lines and had MTD and the gratuities were the same as the other dining times - a per day amount. This is our first RCL cruise and I pre-paid the gratuities - again - the set per day amount and we have MTD and didn't get any different kind of message when I paid. My question is...were we supposed to pay a lesser per day amount and then be expected to tip at every meal? My concern, having paid the gratuities, is that the servers will think we're stiffing them if we don't tip again. Can someone please clear this up? Thanks.

I'm confused. We've cruised other lines and had MTD and the gratuities were the same as the other dining times - a per day amount. This is our first RCL cruise and I pre-paid the gratuities - again - the set per day amount and we have MTD and didn't get any different kind of message when I paid. My question is...were we supposed to pay a lesser per day amount and then be expected to tip at every meal? My concern, having paid the gratuities, is that the servers will think we're stiffing them if we don't tip again. Can someone please clear this up? Thanks.

The "per day" gratuity amount is the same for MTD and traditional dining.

The confusion is that way back when RC first introduced MTD, there were no automatic gratuities. By automatic gratuities, I mean the automatic daily charge on your onboard account. So the cruise line required prepaid gratuities for MTD. A few years later, the cruise line implemented automatic gratuities and sometime after that they eliminated the prepaid gratuity requirement for MTD.

I booked a new RC reservation with MTD last week and was surprised that there were no pre-paid gratuities added. But that makes sense now since the gratuities are added automatically to everyone's on-board account daily. I like paying gratuities on board better since it is a good use of non-refundable OBC.

When booking online, we had to pay gratuities for MTD. There was no place to remove those gratuities. We weren't given an option. I now understand we could have called to have them removed but in my mind, not necessary for us as we would have had to pay them anyway and we do not have any credits.

Since we already paid the gratuities , will I need to watch our account and make sure we don't get charged gratuities on a day-to-day basis?

People are saying they did away with the requirement of prepaid gratuities but we did not have that option when we booked in Fall 2016 for our Sept 2017 cruise.

Since we already paid the gratuities , will I need to watch our account and make sure we don't get charged gratuities on a day-to-day basis?

People are saying they did away with the requirement of prepaid gratuities but we did not have that option when we booked in Fall 2016 for our Sept 2017 cruise.

You should watch your account for any incorrect charges.

The requirement to prepay grats with MTD went away in early 2016 I think, but as is obvious with this thread, RCI's IT system has yet to catch up with that. Given the long term trend and the way Aussie bookings are now, it may not be long before grats are required to be prepaid and much harder to remove.

When booking online, we had to pay gratuities for MTD. There was no place to remove those gratuities. We weren't given an option. I now understand we could have called to have them removed but in my mind, not necessary for us as we would have had to pay them anyway and we do not have any credits.

I always prepay ours in £sterling when i book and because of exchange rates it is better for us and it is taken care of.

They know who has prepaid because not many do now it is not compulsory so never had any problems on board.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I have a ton of cruises booked with Royal right now, and we have MTD for all of them. I did not have to prepay tips for any of them. They will be automatically added to our shipboard charges once we board which is fine. I have OBC to pay for them, which is why I did not prepay them