New Ship Builds

Guest arowe6

Guest arowe6

Hi CC friends,

Came across this article today. Gives a breakdown of all the new ship builds (not just Princess) in the pipeline through 2026.

In addition to the Majestic Princess in 2017, Princess has new builds scheduled for;

All of the ships have the projected tonnage the same as the Majestic so assuming the next 3 ships will be part of the Royal/Regal/Majestic family.

Of course, a lot can change between now and then...

Here's the link;

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/cruise-ship-orderbook.html

Happy Monday!

-Andrew :)

Interesting stuff. Here is the scorecard of some of the more popular lines. No one can say that cruising is a dead form of vacationing!!

Carnival-4 ships between 2018-2022 with an aggregate capacity of 18.2k passengers.

Royal Caribbean-6 ships between 2018-2024 with a total capacity of 29k.

HAL-2 ships between 2018-2021 with a total capacity of 5.3k

MSC-9 ships between 2018-2026 with a total capacity of 44.1k. (Holy smokes!)

Norwegian-5 ships between 2018-2024 with a total capacity of 18.3k.

Viking Ocean-4 ships between 2018-2022 with a total capacity of 4K

Celebrity-4 ships between 2018-2022 with a total capacity of 11.6k

Princess-3 ships between 2019-2022 with a total capacity of 10.8k

Disney-3 ships between 2021-2023 with a total capacity of 7.5k

...and two newcomers to the industry

Virgin Cruises-3 ships between 2020-2022 with a total capacity of 8.4k

Ritz Carlton-3 ships between 2019-2022 with a total capacity of 900 passengers

All totaled, (and this is just for the selected cruise lines referred to here), that is 43 large (or large-ish) ships and 3 tiny ships with a total capacity of 158k passengers.

Most notable item of tangential interest to Princess fans: the first two of the largest ever builds for Carnival Corp (183,000 tons, 5.000+ passengers) are being allocated to Costa and P&O Australia--in the latter's case that lines very first non-hand me down ship. Initial plans reportedly were that one of those ships would go to Carnival Cruise Line and be based in either Miami or Ft Lauderdale but capacity issues could not be resolved at those ports (even though PortMiami has no issue with larger and larger RCI ships :confused:). In the case of Port Everglades preliminary surveying was done to have the ship fit into Berth 2 which the new ship would share with Princess, presumably getting first priority and bumping Royal, Regal and their future twins to a different berth. But it is all moot now. (Nicely tied back to Princess, yes :rolleyes:)

Thanks for the info.

Wish they'd build a couple of "small" ships, like the Pacific.:')

From the information provided, a "small" ship is now considered The Disney Fantasy/Dream. None of the mass market cruise lines are building anything smaller than 2.5k passengers.

Interesting stuff. Here is the scorecard of some of the more popular lines. No one can say that cruising is a dead form of vacationing!!

Carnival-4 ships between 2018-2022 with an aggregate capacity of 18.2k passengers.

Royal Caribbean-6 ships between 2018-2024 with a total capacity of 29k.

HAL-2 ships between 2018-2021 with a total capacity of 5.3k

MSC-9 ships between 2018-2026 with a total capacity of 44.1k. (Holy smokes!)

Norwegian-5 ships between 2018-2024 with a total capacity of 18.3k.

Viking Ocean-4 ships between 2018-2022 with a total capacity of 4K

Celebrity-4 ships between 2018-2022 with a total capacity of 11.6k

Princess-3 ships between 2019-2022 with a total capacity of 10.8k

Disney-3 ships between 2021-2023 with a total capacity of 7.5k

...and two newcomers to the industry

Virgin Cruises-3 ships between 2020-2022 with a total capacity of 8.4k

Ritz Carlton-3 ships between 2019-2022 with a total capacity of 900 passengers

All totaled, (and this is just for the selected cruise lines referred to here), that is 43 large (or large-ish) ships and 3 tiny ships with a total capacity of 158k passengers.

WOW!! That's a lot of ships. I wonder if any new ports are being constructed. Probably no way to tell.

I wish Princess would hold a contest to name the new ships. That would be fun and interesting.

I assume that some older ships will be retired, so perhaps some old names will become new names again, as was done with Royal. For example, there is currently no "Ocean Princess" or "Dawn Princess". So there's two names right there that they could use for two of the three new ships. Frankly, I like the re-use of old names. Some of the new names that cruise lines come up with are forced and silly. (Probably the result of "naming contests". For example...http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/18/world/boaty-mcboatface-wins-vote/index.html though admittedly, this was not for a cruise ship.)

Based on when the inaugural Majestic cruises went on sale (November 2015 I think), I'm hoping Royal 4 will be on sale in 3 to 4 months. This is assuming it's launched in Spring 2019. All ready to book :D:D:D

I assume that some older ships will be retired, so perhaps some old names will become new names again, as was done with Royal. For example, there is currently no "Ocean Princess" or "Dawn Princess". So there's two names right there that they could use for two of the three new ships. Frankly, I like the re-use of old names. Some of the new names that cruise lines come up with are forced and silly. (Probably the result of "naming contests". For example...http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/18/world/boaty-mcboatface-wins-vote/index.html though admittedly, this was not for a cruise ship.)

Don't forget "Sky Princess" which has been unused since 2000.

And in spite of the recent spiffing up of some of them, a couple names of the remaining Sun-class ships, plus dare I say the first generation Grand-class ships, could be available at the start of the next decade.

Don't forget "Sky Princess" which has been unused since 2000.

And in spite of the recent spiffing up of some of them, a couple names of the remaining Sun-class ships, plus dare I say the first generation Grand-class ships, could be available at the start of the next decade.

Agree. I can't imagine Princess not having a "Grand Princess", a "Sun Princess", and the one that put the company on the map..."Pacific Princess". All of those names will surely become available in the not-too-distant future.

Most notable item of tangential interest to Princess fans: the first two of the largest ever builds for Carnival Corp (183,000 tons, 5.000+ passengers) are being allocated to Costa and P&O Australia--in the latter's case that lines very first non-hand me down ship. Initial plans reportedly were that one of those ships would go to Carnival Cruise Line and be based in either Miami or Ft Lauderdale but capacity issues could not be resolved at those ports (even though PortMiami has no issue with larger and larger RCI ships :confused:). In the case of Port Everglades preliminary surveying was done to have the ship fit into Berth 2 which the new ship would share with Princess, presumably getting first priority and bumping Royal, Regal and their future twins to a different berth. But it is all moot now. (Nicely tied back to Princess, yes :rolleyes:)

It's even more interesting in Miami as they're building 2 brand new terminals in Miami (One for RCL, and one for NCL) to handle two more mega-class ships in the port (the RCL one to handle an Oasis class ship), which will be in addition to the terminals they already have (building them in what was unused land).

Guest arowe6
Thanks for the info.

Wish they'd build a couple of "small" ships, like the Pacific.:')

I'd love to see a new Island Princess built. Something of that size, but with more of the new modern features that the Royal/Regal have.

Alas, the bigger the ship the more revenue it generates.

I can imagine the cruise lines are keeping an eye on the newer cruise lines that are building small luxury ships. If any of those lines fail, there will be a feeding frenzy for those small ships for the expedition market - like there was when Renaissance cruises went under after 911 and those 8 ships were snapped up. EM

Don't forget the old, old, old Fair Princess. Don't think they would use that name again. It's just fair. :)

I believe that the new build for P&O Australia has now been scrapped. They will receive a hand me down from Carnival. One good thing about all these new builds is that Australia and New Zealand will get a bit younger hand me downs and not something doing a detour for a few seasons before beaching herself in India.

I'm surprised Princess didn't use one of the older, unused names for the Majestic. Although the ship is for the Asian market, a few name could have been used.

The name Majestic Princess was chosen specifically for how it looked painted on the hull in Chinese characters.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

No Princess Patricia either and it was the first one.

Tom

Guest arowe6
No Princess Patricia either and it was the first one.

Tom

Really? Do you know who it was named after?

Thanks,

Andrew

WOW!! That's a lot of ships. I wonder if any new ports are being constructed. Probably no way to tell.

The Mexican government is still planning on building a cruise port in Puerto Peñasco (Rocky Point). I should add, that is if they can ever get their labor issues resolved.