Do older kids nap on cruise?

LeoEdre

I know that many adult cruisers like to take a nap before dinner and night activities, expecially after a busy day on shore, but what about older kids (about the range 9 - 14 years old)? They usually enjoy late nights, but are less likely to sleep during the day than older teens and shore excursions may be exhusting also for them.

If you have kids that age, do they ever take

naps on cruise, either spontaneously or when you tell them to? Do you include some rest time in their routine to get ready for dinner, or they just seem to never get tired?

Inviato dal mio LG-H850 utilizzando Tapatalk

When my kids have gotten to those ages I never "told" them to take naps. I've raised six kids...some of them enjoy naps and some don't. I'm not a napper -- never ever take one, even on a cruise. But, I've seen one of my teens nap on a cruise, but she took naps at home sometimes, too.

I took a cruise when I was 13 and pretty much only used the cabin to sleep. At that age I wasn't really interested in taking naps on vacation. I don't think it's necessary at all to impose mandatory rest on teens before dinner, they have plenty of energy.

When we went to Disneyland last year, we did have "quiet time" every day, after lunch. I didn't care if they slept, I was going to. I'd say my kids (13, 10, and 6 at the time), dozed and/or vegged out, which was fine. I imagine we will be doing something similar.

I think it depends on the kid, but being on vacation, we never really scheduled any naps or rest at that age. Just let it happen. If not, they'd let us know if they were tired at the end of the day and turn in early.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Is telling a 14 year old to take a nap a real thing parents do?
Maybe some of you misunderstood the question. It is not about ENFORCING naps, I was just asking if they ever happen in a certain range of age. Telling to take a nap may be inappropriate at 14, but at 9 (the other limit of the range) may be ok.

Also consider that telling doesn't mean imposing, but also suggesting. If you see that your kids are tired, you may suggest them to rest at any age.

Maybe some of you misunderstood the question. It is not about ENFORCING naps, I was just asking if they ever happen in a certain range of age. Telling to take a nap may be inappropriate at 14, but at 9 (the other limit of the range) may be ok.

Also consider that telling doesn't mean imposing, but also suggesting. If you see that your kids are tired, you may suggest them to rest at any age.

Okay, I was just wondering. I'm not a parent and I'm uniformed about a lot of the things that come along with being one.

I know that many adult cruisers like to take a nap before dinner and night activities, expecially after a busy day on shore, but what about older kids (about the range 9 - 14 years old)? They usually enjoy late nights, but are less likely to sleep during the day than older teens and shore excursions may be exhusting also for them.

If you have kids that age, do they ever take

naps on cruise, either spontaneously or when you tell them to? Do you include some rest time in their routine to get ready for dinner, or they just seem to never get tired?

My kids used to nap on cruises, when my youngest was 2-5 and the oldest was 7-10.

My oldest never napped at home but on a cruise when we all went back to the cabin to rest a bit, we all zonked out for an hour or two.

Now that they are older no one gets to nap. When my kids were little and they stopped doing that second nap, we all cried. lol

I'm sure you can try to go and have quiet time in the room and that might work for the kids. This will be facilitated the best by an interior room because they are dark.

Also at least right now, my kids don't stay out too late. After dinner we go back to the cabin, they get their PJs on, watch TV or read and are out cold. I'd say by 10 or 11 they are asleep and we are all up around 7.

My kids would never accept a suggestion to nap, even if they were told to. It worked when the youngest needed a nap. We all had to go back to the room and the oldest got the benefit of the nap. At 14, I don't think you can really get a nap in, but you can certainly try with a 9 year old :)

I'm sure you can try to go and have quiet time in the room and that might work for the kids. This will be facilitated the best by an interior room because they are dark.

Also at least right now, my kids don't stay out too late. After dinner we go back to the cabin, they get their PJs on, watch TV or read and are out cold. I'd say by 10 or 11 they are asleep and we are all up around 7.

I'm not a parent, so I don't need advice for myself, but I always see "tweens" and young teens up until very late at night even if they looked exhausted in the afternoon when they came back from shore excursions with the family, so I wondered if they take naps to recharge as many adults do. If your kids go to bed early, of course they don't need to rest during the day.

I'm not a parent, so I don't need advice for myself, but I always see "tweens" and young teens up until very late at night even if they looked exhausted in the afternoon when they came back from shore excursions with the family, so I wondered if they take naps to recharge as many adults do. If your kids go to bed early, of course they don't need to rest during the day.

My kids never needed naps to recharge. Kids have boundless energy with 2nd, third, fourth...tenth winds! LOL.

Bwahaha

Sorry, yeah, no idea [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can certainly try to have some down time/rest time during the day, but my experience with this age group is that they seldom if ever nap and as to being exhausted on excursions; the adults might be but not the kids; or if they are they won't admit it.

Comes from parent of two, grandparent of 7 (we took all 7 on a cruise by ourselves, ages 5-11; and no, they didn't nap!) and an elementary teacher for 20 years.

I can only say that the following applies to my kids, my nieces, my nephews, and their friends.

Naps because they are tired from an excursion -- no way. Staying up late and sleeping in until late in the morning -- heck yeah. :D

My 11 year old is my daughter through-and-through. She loves a good nap! ;)

Well I didn't expect that kids were so unlikely to nap, but I have to trust you parents if you tell me that they just never need rest during the day.

I don't think we are saying that they never need rest, it's just unlikely that they actually will, especially on a cruise.

Like I said before, you might have a 'down time', maybe before getting ready for the evening, even if it's just watching tv. If they sleep, that's a plus, but this down time is mostly for the sanity/rest of the adults!