Sun on the balcony

AppyAmmer

In theory, if my wife and I were to spend our entire cruise (We wont) on the balcony, would we be getting lots of sun on a balcony?

We are looking to do our first cruise in September from the UK to the Canaries and staying on the right (Starboard?) side of the ship

For a round trip the chance of sun on either board or starboard side is 50/50 - also har to tell the chance of sun when ship is docked. I spend a lot of time on my balcony, but rarely sun - and if sun when docked it is often too much.

Also very much depend of the construction of the ship and location of balcony.

Enjoy the sun at the pool deck and enjoy reading, coffee or a drink at the balcony.

d%C3%A6k.jpg

vin%2Bbalkon.jpg

In theory, if my wife and I were to spend our entire cruise (We wont) on the balcony, would we be getting lots of sun on a balcony?

We are looking to do our first cruise in September from the UK to the Canaries and staying on the right (Starboard?) side of the ship

You would get more sun on the way back to the UK.

Thus far on all cruises we had a sunny balcony pretty much for half the day. Some balconies aren't very private and people from above can see you. So check before trying to get a fan without tan lines... 😎

In the old days of P&O's voyages to India, the thing to do was Port Out, Starboard Home....thus, the initials POSH. And the subsequent word.

This idea crops up fairly regularly, but sadly, nice though the story is, it doesn't appear to be true. Lots of references can be read; this one is from Merriam-Webster - note in particular the last sentence:

The Story Won't Float

The most elaborate version of the story associates the practice with the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company, which from 1842 to 1970 wasthe major steamship carrier of passengers and mail between England and India.The P. & O. route went through the Suez Canal and the Red Sea. The cabins on the port side on the way to India got the morning sun and had the rest of the day to cool off, while starboard ones got the afternoon sun, and were still quite hot at bedtime. On the return trip, the opposite was true. The cooler cabins, therefore, were the more desirable and were reserved for the most important and richest travelers. Their tickets were stamped P.O.S.H. to indicate these accommodations–in large violet letters, according to one recollection. This account of the origin of posh was even used in advertising by the P. & O. in the 1960s.

But the story won't float. The first appearance of the acronymic origin in print that we know of was a letter to the editor of the London Times Literary Supplement of 17 October 1935. The writer, an Englishman, wanted to enlighten the editors of the Oxford English Dictionary Supplement, who had marked its origin obscure; he identified port out, starboard home as "an American shipping term describing the best cabins." Why this phrase described the best cabins he does not say. The earliest association of the acronym with the P. & O. seems to come from A Hundred Year History of the P. & O., by Boyd Cable, which was published in 1937. The author calls it a"tale." And as late as 1962 the librarian of the P. & O. was unable to find any evidence that P.O.S.H. was actually stamped on anything.