Assigned seating - Table for 2, 4, 6 or more?

tbmrt

Just curious how assigned seating is done.

Randomly place people together (including children)?

Putting people at tables of 2, 4, 6 or more done randomly?

Can we request table for 2 w/assigned seating either before cruise or once we board?

Thanks

What cruise line? Not sure if they all handle the same way.

On Royal Caribbean you can request your table size when you book. You also request your dining time, either early or late seating. You are then seated with other people or alone, depending on your request. If you're seated at a large table and find it's not what you are comfortable with, or just don't like, and wish to change, you can do so once on board.

they will try and stick like minded groups together( couples, families with young kids, etc).

2 tops in assigned seating are much harder to come by than if you use the flexible option the line offers( MTD on Royal, for instance) but it can be done.

You appear to be sailing MSC Divina, thus your question is best answered on the MSC board here. The answers others have given may not apply to MSC, who seem to march to their own drummer. EM

It looks like the OP has already been on this ship, so one would think he or she already knows the answer. I agree with the above poster. You would think after 9 years here, he or she would know how dining works or at least know where to ask this question.

Edited by Living4acruise2day

tbmrt, I have found that on some cruise lines there is no rhyme and reason. That was our experience on Celebrity, Princess, and Holland America. I say this because for many of those cruises we had children on board at tables for 8 and while sometimes we were seated with other families other times we were not even though other families were on board. So you never know for sure and some of this can vary by Maitre d'.

We now cruise Crystal Cruises and our experience on that line is that the Maitre d's try to match people up based on those traveling solo, or couples or even nationalities. There are a lot of repeat guests so that helps as well.

I hope this helps.

Keith

We've never been seated with a "family" with kids when sailing as a couple. We have had different ages at the table, but most times, we've all been within the same "generation" or close!

We always request a LARGE table, so that we are almost guaranteed some tablemates each night....with all the "specialty" options, you will find that you seldom have a FULL table!

We prefer a table for two since my hubby has a bad back and can't sit for long. Don't always get it, but then we seldom bother to ask to switch. I'm in agreement with the people who say seating seems to be random. I think we've covered a pretty large spectrum of table mates, but we actually never have been seated with a family with children. My opinion is that a table for four is the most risky. If the table mates aren't to your liking, there's nobody else to talk to. With a larger table, you have a fighting chance of there being seated with some other compatible people.