How early do you pack?

Notonboard

We have packing lists that we edit but don't get the suitcases out until a week before. Packing happens during that week as regularly scheduled laundry gets done.

Certainly the case for us when travelling to a destination in the same season. Otherwise, I can start sooner.

I have VERY detailed lists, one for anything you wear and one for misc and sundry items by category. They become 'go and get it' assembly line packing lists and nothing is forgotten. Helps me to sleep those last few nights before travelling as not worrying about what might have been missed. It also helps to not overpack by taking clothing that might only be worn once. I also cross off items that I've retired and replaced with newly purchased items. Sounds over-the-top but removes packing stress for me. My lists are being fine-tuned at least a month in advance.☺️ The actual packing isn't totally finished until the night before!

I used to enjoy packing... not so much any more and each year I take less!

I pack about three weeks ahead of time. I first choose what I want to bring, and put it on the bed. Once all my outfits are put together with jewelry, then I start on DH's packing. DH's tux and button pin get packed too. I am able to fit everything for two into 4 carry-on. I could do it with three stuffed, but four works better.

We do walk on and walk off with the luggage . We drive to the port. I don't carry a purse when boarding. All boarding passes and passports, and cell phone are on the outside zip of the luggage.

To get through the X-ray machine all I have to do is put two pieces up on the belt. I get through real fast because I don't have to empty any pockets, take belts off etc. We get right through.

I pack light clothing. No jeans, which are heavy.

I use packing cubes and folders. The cubes I take right out of the suit case and put into the closet. I just open them up.

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packing-cubes/l/212

Folders

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packing-folders/l/211

I buy them when they are on sale.

Love, love Eagle Creek!

Each of our cruise luggage have all basic essentials and the little items that we use on the cruise. We don't put it out coming from a cruise.

She starts piling up her items a month before, while I do mine a week before. When flying out, we pre-check for weight limits and make adjustments if needed 3 days before. If driving to port, we just close the luggage and all set to go.

Many years ago, when I forgot to pack socks for my husband and left my pjs home, I decided to make a list. It is generic and covers any type of travel.

I listed everything I would possibly take on any trip and when I don't need to bring it, I cross it off my copy for that trip. Some times I might take something with me that I don't have on my list When that happens, I add it to the master. I also have a list of things to do to close up the house while we are away.

So far, we haven't forgotten anything in years and pack the night before.:)

I start making a list two or three months out and assembling the things I don't use daily a couple of weeks before. My carry on size case generally has a giant ziplock full of toiletries. The bulk goes in the weekend before (since I still work) and I do laundry a few days before. The last few things (mostly meds and electronics) get packed the night before. Next one will be a little more stressful packing since I'll be in grad school.

Daughter, granddaughter, and I are driving, so from that aspect, packing is less stressful. It's granddaughter's first cruise. She'll be four, so we're kind of excited about it.

Kids moved out a few years ago so we created a "cruise room" all our cruise wear goes in there and the suitcases come out about a month before the actual sailing date so we're fine tuning what we want to take for a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Please tell me a advantages of packing cubes over zip lock bags. Karen

The two biggest advantages for me is that I use different size cubes that I organize clothing by types in... For example pants and skirts in the large one, tops in the medium, socks and underwear in the small one and an even smaller one for chargers and cords.... This way if I am in a hotel pre or post cruise ( living out of the suitcase for a day) I can quickly grab the cube with the item I want.

The second big advantage is when it comes time to unpack on the ship ( or land vacation) I simply pull out the cubes, unzip the lid and fold it over - then I put the whole cube in the appropriate drawer or shelf.. It takes less than 5 minutes and I am unpacked and ready for fun.

I love my packing cubes.

We pack the day before we leave--but that's actually putting things into the cases.

However, we're leaving 3 weeks from tomorrow, and we have things hanging/piled all over my sewing room. Toiletries etc. are on the cutting table. We're doing a British Isles/TA that ends in Fl. so we need to pack for 2 climates. The warmer things are still in the out of season closet.

The worst part is that we both have clothes that we are "saving" for the cruise so we're very limited on what to wear for the next 3 weeks!

It is a constant thing. I can break it down to several processes:

1. Travel bin mainentance, largely non-apparel items that we use almost exclusively for cruising, and includes binoculars, travel umbrellas, camera stuff, laundry items for travel, outlet expanders, extension cords, adapters, mardi gras beads, thank you notes, name tags, corkscrew, luggage scale, duct tape, various sizes of zip lock plastic bags, etc, etc, and our Dry Ducks rain suits. Not all items in the travel bin come along on every trip (90% cruises), but they are all in one place to pull out as needed. Okay, it is plural, bins, rather large clear plastic ones with lids. They have a permanent place in the sitting room off the master bedroom. Just as does the "current" set of luggage that the airlines/cruise line has yet to destroy.

2. Lists, for meds, toiletries, travel paperwork (numerous files usually), jewelry, to-dos, and apparel items, which are assembled starting when the trip is booked, up until it is almost time to leave.

3. Garment rack to play with and organize wardrobe items, and there seems never to be a time when taking it down is a good idea, it is now a constant fixture in the sitting room off the master bedroom.

4. Actually putting items into suitcases the day/night before we travel, assuming early morning limo pickup, which it usually is....

so we don't do a lot of sitting in that sitting room off the master bedroom. It is travel central, because travel is central to our lives.

Now, on the other hand, my DH seems to manage with a master packing list, and he crosses of items as he packs them. We are now on a business trip for him. He forgot his razor.....yes, I had an extra disposable with me so he is just fine for a short week. And he packs the afternoon or evening before because he doesn't have to think about anything else since I have it covered. The system works for us.

For me, the planning takes much longer than the actual packing. I have a spreadsheet with several tabs.

The first tab has the actual packing list for that cruise. Down the first column are the dates and activity for that date (flight, pre-cruise location, embarkation, sea day, ports, etc.); the second through fifth column has tops, bottoms, footwear, accessories/undergarments. Each day has two rows, one for day wear, and one for evening. (I also list the average high and low temps in the day column if I'm going on a cruise with different climates.)

The second tab lists clothing combinations such as jeans goes with tops 1, 2, 3 etc., black pants goes with tops 2, 4, 5 (using desriptions so I know which ones I'm referring to), etc. This tab has all the clothing combinations that travel well.

The third tab is the toiletries and miscellaneous list including items like umbrella, kindle, various chargers, plug adapters, swimsuit, pjs, robe, medications, etc.

I keep a master list on my computer (which gets modified as needed when I buy something new or get rid of something).

Once I book a cruise, I use the master list and modify, identifying clothing based on the itinerary, deleting things from the toiletries/miscellaneous tab, etc., then save it under the cruise name (so I always have the master on file for the next trip). I add items to the first tab based on suggestions of clothing combinations from Tab 2. I'm trying to get to the point that every top works with every bottom so I can travel lighter--but not quite there yet.

I might start the list shortly after booking the cruise, and may work on it as part of the planning, but usually have it finalized and printed a couple weeks before. The week prior, I make sure all the items are clean and start laying them aside or hanging them separately in the closet.

A day or two before, I start packing using the list. I use a highlighter to "cross" the items off the list as I pack. The list then goes in my carryon (just in case luggage gets lost I have a complete list of what was in the suitcase).

I don't always wear what's on the list on that specific day, but I do wear what I pack, and I haven't forgotten anything (knock on wood).

I also have a travel bin (large plastic storage box) with things I only use for travelling like transformers, travel plug adapters, airline travel pillow for long flights, my cruise luggage tag holders, luggage scale, travel mug, small sewing kit, small first-aid kit, emergency chem light (I always pack one just in case), etc.

A little OCD perhaps, but it works for me. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I start organizing stuff a month or so out. Usually finish packing a couple of days prior to embarking/flying out. I really enjoy the hype and anticipation of the last couple of weeks before a cruise which obviously includes packing. I've found that the pre cruise activities can be almost as exciting as the cruise itself.....:):):)

Bob

The Lists:

1) Cruising

2) Camping

3) Hawaii

4) Weekend

5) Train Trip

We had a Europe land list, but we haven't been to Europe, not on a cruise, for 8 or 9 years.

I have similar lists, and they're updated after each use. I use a "list app" on my phone, so I'm always working on them. Mine are even more granular: weekend car camping, week car camping, weekend bike camping, Disney camping, overnight train trip, etc. I can relax knowing I've pretty much thought of everything.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Forums mobile app

My people! I have a master list and start gathering a month out. Also have a "travel box". Please tell me a advantages of packing cubes over zip lock bags. Karen

I like the cubes because they act like drawers in your cruise closet. I use different colors so we know who has what stuff. As for a list with conformation numbers we use "notes" with our iPhones. Changes are made and we both have the same information.

Being retired, usually cruising for a minimum of 15 days (this year) preferably a month (last year), my planning and packing starts a week ahead of time. I roll everything into jumbo zip locks and haven't had an issue with wrinkles. I do sparkly top, dressy pants routine instead of dresses when I first cruised 35 years ago. I try to keep things simple, especially with shoes.

E

Do you pack early or just last minute? I'm wondering if I'm the only one that starts months in advance.

You are not alone.

I have my suitcase out and open six months in advance of cruise because I usually forget to pack something like underpants if I pack at the last minute. I have a written checklist that I tape to the front of my luggage to help me remember what to take on the cruise.

And God willing, may He grant you good health to live and not die before your next cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

For me, the planning takes much longer than the actual packing. I have a spreadsheet with several tabs.

The first tab has the actual packing list for that cruise. Down the first column are the dates and activity for that date (flight, pre-cruise location, embarkation, sea day, ports, etc.); the second through fifth column has tops, bottoms, footwear, accessories/undergarments. Each day has two rows, one for day wear, and one for evening. (I also list the average high and low temps in the day column if I'm going on a cruise with different climates.)

The second tab lists clothing combinations such as jeans goes with tops 1, 2, 3 etc., black pants goes with tops 2, 4, 5 (using desriptions so I know which ones I'm referring to), etc. This tab has all the clothing combinations that travel well.

The third tab is the toiletries and miscellaneous list including items like umbrella, kindle, various chargers, plug adapters, swimsuit, pjs, robe, medications, etc.

I keep a master list on my computer (which gets modified as needed when I buy something new or get rid of something).

Once I book a cruise, I use the master list and modify, identifying clothing based on the itinerary, deleting things from the toiletries/miscellaneous tab, etc., then save it under the cruise name (so I always have the master on file for the next trip). I add items to the first tab based on suggestions of clothing combinations from Tab 2. I'm trying to get to the point that every top works with every bottom so I can travel lighter--but not quite there yet.

I might start the list shortly after booking the cruise, and may work on it as part of the planning, but usually have it finalized and printed a couple weeks before. The week prior, I make sure all the items are clean and start laying them aside or hanging them separately in the closet.

A day or two before, I start packing using the list. I use a highlighter to "cross" the items off the list as I pack. The list then goes in my carryon (just in case luggage gets lost I have a complete list of what was in the suitcase).

I don't always wear what's on the list on that specific day, but I do wear what I pack, and I haven't forgotten anything (knock on wood).

I also have a travel bin (large plastic storage box) with things I only use for travelling like transformers, travel plug adapters, airline travel pillow for long flights, my cruise luggage tag holders, luggage scale, travel mug, small sewing kit, small first-aid kit, emergency chem light (I always pack one just in case), etc.

A little OCD perhaps, but it works for me. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Something tells me we are sisters from another mother.......