Divina Yacht Club Dining Room - Is it Anytime Seating?

Robkat

Hi,

I just read something a little worrisome.

Someone was writing a review about their experience on the Divina in Yacht Club, and said that when they boarded and were brought to the YC area, they then were brought to the dining room to choose their dining times. They were told they could choose either 6 or 8 pm.

We were under the impression that it was anytime dining in the YC, which is an important feature to us.

Can anyone confirm what the situation is?

Thanks.

You'll be asked to select a preferred dining time after embarkation, any time between 6pm and 9pm. You'll then have a specific table and waiting staff each evening at that time who will get to know your likes etc. You can change the time with the concierge each day but you may not have the same table.

We were concerned about this too as we like to be flexible rather than tied to an exact time. We found if we said 'around' 8pm we were fine 15/20 minutes either side of that.

Edited by CruisingFox27

From our experience in April... Le Muse staff would like for you to identify a time you would like to eat each night. If you want to eat at a different time one or all nights, they ask for you to call ahead of time - remember you will be walking from bow (YC) to stern (Le Muse) - so they can assure you will have a table when you arrive. We preferred the same wait staff and table each night, so we elected to be consistent in our dinner time. If you prefer to be flexible, they will seat you where they have space.

Thanks so much for these replies!

Since the beginning of Anytime/Your Time/Open/Flex, etc. etc. dining with all the cruise lines, we've always made sure that we can get that. So, the thought of being told we can only have one or two times would have made us reconsider our booking!

Wonder why the folks who were doing the review said they could only choose 6 or 8pm? Maybe they arrived late in the day and those were the only open times? :confused:

In any case, we'll be sure to arrive early to get first dibs!

We were on Divina last October and at that time we were only asked to choose a time the first evening.

After that, no. We had breakfast there each morning and they did say something like "see you tonight?" but I never took that to mean anything but conversation.

I just replied in the other thread, too, but I agree with what most said about the flexibility above. We were on last week and asked the first day to choose a time. That time was completely flexible during the week. We changed it for a variety of reasons almost each day. We told our concierge or our waiter at lunch. It was never s problem and we had one of two tables every night with the same waiter each evening. Le Muse and the YC is fabulous! Have no worries! The Divina is a beautiful ship with a wonderful crew.

Edited by Proseccoandsun
spelling

Mafig ... that's really interesting!

So, on the first day, they asked you to give them a time for the first evening's meal, but didn't indicate that they were putting you down for that time for the rest of the cruise?

And did you go at different times, on different nights? Was there ever any problem getting seated? They never tried to pin you down to a specific time? Hmmmm.

Hi all,

I was the one telling about the fixed times, and I was just as unpleasantly surprised as the person starting this thread! It wasn't for just the first night that we needed to set our times, it was for the entire week! And we boarded the ship at 1pm, I thought we'd be quite early, but the good times (in our view, around 7pm) were all gone, and it was either 6 or 8. For the whole week.

Again, maybe if we had put more effort into changing it on a daily basis, that would have worked. But one evening we ran into a group of 4, asking to be let in earlier than their set time, and they were turned away. That discouraged us a bit to try it later on, but it may have worked if we had called ahead by phone. It seems some passengers had more luck with that.

At any rate, in my opinion, this isn't "free choice of dinner time" but it probably is still a lot better than unchangeable settings given on other cruise lines.

I hope this info helps. I can't stress enough that we loved our cruise and MSC and the whole YC experience, this was literally the only more negative thing. Don't want to be sounding like a spoilt brat, although if truth be told, I now am, thanks to YC

So, on the first day, they asked you to give them a time for the first evening's meal, but didn't indicate that they were putting you down for that time for the rest of the cruise?

And did you go at different times, on different nights? Was there ever any problem getting seated? They never tried to pin you down to a specific time? Hmmmm.

That IS interesting that Mafig had a different experience, I do understand that last week the boat was really full, so maybe that was the cause of the inflexibility? That when it's less busy you can choose more?

Wow ... thanks for getting back Lou2204.

Enjoyed your review tremendously, but as I said, the situation with your dining times had us worried, and shaking our heads. :o

As a few have described here, we were told it was completely open seating (like a restaurant) and, we assumed, that they were just trying to manage things by asking people for their dining time preferences.

Our cruise is in a hopefully quieter time ... at least, that's how we planned it! Who knows these days when it seems like every ship is full for every sailing!

Although this is a pretty big deal for us, hopefully things will work out and we'll have a terrific time ... with no restrictions on dining time! (y)(yn)

Yes, we were only asked the first night. Actually we were told the time the first night. It was later than we usually dine and the concierge was (if I recall) a bit snippy about us having to take that time. They said it was because the earlier times were taken and that we were there too late (we were there earlier, but she wasn't). Anyway, we usually were there between 6 and 7 and were usually at the same table (all but two times). However, the people around us were always different, so it didn't appear that there were any set times for others either.

These accounts from recent cruisers are not great.

In a burst of optimism, I'm going to assume it's because these were extremely busy summer cruises, and the staff were hard-pressed to accommodate everyone's preferences. And, that once we're in the (supposedly) quieter seasons, things will revert to a proper "open dining" situation, where guests are not confined to choosing between a couple of times.

But this brings up a whole other train of thought ... MSC is currently (mostly) getting wonderful reviews, especially for YC, and we're noticing and hearing about more and more people, who would normally book with other lines, going over to try out the MSC products and more specifically, the YC.

This is great for MSC, but with this steady influx of new customers, will they be able to maintain and continue to provide the high standard, again, most especially in the YC, that they've started out with? Such a quick growth, in the US market, could almost work against them in being able to keep the quality of the product consistent.

For those who have been, and for those who are now booked and looking forward to their first experience with MSC, how are you feeling about this?

I was on last week and as I mentioned, we had a fabulous experience without any issues at all changing our dining times almost every single evening. They could not have been nicer about it and told us "no problem at all" repeatedly. I don't think the quality of YC will change as more people recognize the excellence of MSC. They were at full capacity on the entire ship last week and it did not affect us at all. Now having said that, I have not sailed YC in the off-season so maybe I would prefer it even more. But I found absolutely no problems with any of it last week. I already booked again for next summer!

Our waiter did say they had many diners requesting 9:30 and 10pm from Europe and that there were also a lot of small children on board last week. I also noticed several large parties. There was one party of 18 with at least three small kids under the age of two.

It sounds to me from most people's feedback above that there was flexibility, just one (or two?) guests that encountered scheduling issues.

These accounts from recent cruisers are not great.

In a burst of optimism, I'm going to assume it's because these were extremely busy summer cruises, and the staff were hard-pressed to accommodate everyone's preferences. And, that once we're in the (supposedly) quieter seasons, things will revert to a proper "open dining" situation, where guests are not confined to choosing between a couple of times.

But this brings up a whole other train of thought ... MSC is currently (mostly) getting wonderful reviews, especially for YC, and we're noticing and hearing about more and more people, who would normally book with other lines, going over to try out the MSC products and more specifically, the YC.

This is great for MSC, but with this steady influx of new customers, will they be able to maintain and continue to provide the high standard, again, most especially in the YC, that they've started out with? Such a quick growth, in the US market, could almost work against them in being able to keep the quality of the product consistent.

For those who have been, and for those who are now booked and looking forward to their first experience with MSC, how are you feeling about this?

Appreciate the feedback and this makes us feel more confident that our experience will ((yn)) be as wonderful as the ones we've been reading about.

It really does help to have reviews from those of you who have been already been onboard.

We've always been asked what time we wanted to dine at when in YC. It makes the job easier for the maitreD to know that there will be tables available at all times by spacing out seating times. However, they cannot insist on you sticking to a certain time slot as one of the benefits of YC that's clearly advertised is anytime dining:

"All-inclusive à la carte meals served at your preferred time in the private restaurant.............."

http://www.msccruises.ie/en-ie/Discover-MSC/MSC-Yacht-Club.aspx

I was on last week and as I mentioned, we had a fabulous experience without any issues at all changing our dining times almost every single evening. They could not have been nicer about it and told us "no problem at all" repeatedly. I don't think the quality of YC will change as more people recognize the excellence of MSC. They were at full capacity on the entire ship last week and it did not affect us at all. Now having said that, I have not sailed YC in the off-season so maybe I would prefer it even more. But I found absolutely no problems with any of it last week. I already booked again for next summer!

Our waiter did say they had many diners requesting 9:30 and 10pm from Europe and that there were also a lot of small children on board last week. I also noticed several large parties. There was one party of 18 with at least three small kids under the age of two.

It sounds to me from most people's feedback above that there was flexibility, just one (or two?) guests that encountered scheduling issues.

That late dinner eating for Europeans would make sense based on the buffet being packed around 3:00 p.m. each day.

good day - sailed the Divina a few times in YC - and yes, the Maitre'd did ask us our preference of times - i think this is simply so that all passengers choose a time as there is not enough seating for all guests at one time - this makes for a better dining experience for all....

This being said - we always eat late and have gone for dinner even at 930pm and never an issue -

i would not worry about this at all - it is just for the maitre'd being able to accommodate all the passengers at their desired times - with the tables they have -

again, we have never ever experienced an issue - i would not just show up however, if it wanted to change my time, i told the maitre'd what time we were coming that evening.....

Exactly! We always let them know at least by lunchtime at the latest and they were very accommodating and nice about it. They really do everything possible to make it a fabulous experience in every way. They're not happy unless you are.

again, we have never ever experienced an issue - i would not just show up however, if it wanted to change my time, i told the maitre'd what time we were coming that evening.....

Good to hear everybody's experience was different from ours. Don't let our apparently isolated one spoil yours! I'm sure you'll have a great time and you come prepared and can organize your dinner times following Proseccos advice by phoning ahead.

And next time I guess we should be a bit more assertive, we didn't think of checking the "conditions ".

Have fun!!

Thanks Lou ... and I'll say again, thanks for your great review.

We certainly won't "overthink" and worry about the situation! And I definitely won't have any problem with being a little more assertive (if needed). My DH says I have a pouty face which can usually work too! :o:eek::')

Good to hear Robkat, I'm exactly like you, like to know what I'm up against rather earlier than later, so it's good that you do your proper research. That's what makes these boards so useful! When you splurge on cruises, you want to make the most of it!! Have fun!!