Galveston weather concerns

Wow, that's pretty declarative for someone I assume has less access to those responsible for all those things than RCI and CCL.

Considering this is currently the warning in effect for the area, I think I feel safe in saying that.

image3.png

What do they really need if they are only debarking and not embarking people, and not reprovisioning? Customs and porters (which are not cruise-line specific)...what else do they need?

Customs, yes. That is essential to returning to the country.

Porters - while some people are really into using them - are really optional and NOT a necessity.

Wow, that's pretty declarative for someone I assume has less access to those responsible for all those things than RCI and CCL.

It doesn't matter what "access" RCCL has to what sources. It's what decisions they make with that "access" and information. So far their decison making has been driven by the bottom line... not the safety of their customers who have already paid for this upcoming cruise.

Their safety should be as important as the safety of those on board. They have their money and they are holding on as if RCCL company survival depends on it.

You are on their ship, which IS something they DO care about, their money generating physical property...so, by default, you may find what passes for their "judgement" more beneficial to you...but only by default.

Greed has been their only guiding principle.

I have to say that how Royal Caribbean is handling this situation is certainly not inspiring confidence regarding my family's first Royal Caribbean cruise in a couple of weeks. We are not cruise novices, we have sailed previously many times on NCL, Costa and Carnival. Our experience with the actual booking of the cruise with RCI has been horrendous, but we have been hoping the on-board customer experience would be better. Still hoping that!

If you have a chance, take a look at their Facebook page. Even in the early hours of this morning, RCI has posted responses to customers insisting they will need a letter from the airlines verifying cancelled flights and inability to reaccommodate. Or proof that roads were impassable. Seriously Royal? Turn on the TV, you'll see proof right there.

People always say that RCI has superior customer service. Certainly not so far in our case and absolutely not in their handling of the current situation. Carnival far out performed them this time.

I agree. If I wasn't cruising with a friend - and had not booked through a program that has a cancellation fee - I would seriously be reconsidering my Greek Isles cruise with RCCL next summer. It may be my last with them (though - sorry - I'm still going on the X Edge in Feb 2019 even though it's the same company).

I had always said "NEVER" to Carnival, but their relatively sane handling of this situation has me pondering possibly looking at them in the future.

We have access to the same tools you do. According to TX DOT there are options for those going East on I-10 to bypass closures and Houston. For now.

You have know idea. Not only as of right now there is no way to get to interstate 10 from Galveston but if you get onto 10 there is no way to get through. The underpasses on 10 are completely underwater 16'4". There are cars sitting all over 10 because there is no way off. Exits are underwater. Cars are going the wrong direction on freeways looking for a way off. There are over 220 high water spots that are impassable on our freeways. They have put I-45 by Dickinson on the news consistently as it is impassable and the entire town of Dickinson is underwater. Parts of 610 and 10 are underwater up to the overhead signs and look like rivers. There is no public transportation as the freeways are to dangerous. Before you make a decision to get off that ship you really need to watch live local coverage of all the flooding before you decide to put yourself in that situation. Many areas that did not flood in Allison are under water. League City (right outside of Galveston) that you have to drive through to get out of Galveston has so far received over 22" inches of water.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by rum & monkey

Customs, yes. That is essential to returning to the country.

Porters - while some people are really into using them - are really optional and NOT a necessity.

Agreed. The point I was making was, besides customs (required) and porters (optional), what else would be needed? I was responding to a poster that felt that RCI would have to bring in a lot of their own people in order to support passengers debarking in New Orleans, but I'm not sure that that is true.

We have access to the same tools you do. According to TX DOT there are options for those going East on I-10 to bypass closures and Houston. For now.

And this is exactly why putting all these people on port now would be dangerous. If you haven't had access to the news and video, this might actually sound like a realistic idea. And then lives are at risk for no reason.

The other factor at play here is the Jones Act. I would hope the government would waive the per passenger fine for this situation. I don't know if that can happen. Going to a different port is horrible for everyone. It's horrible for the cruise line and the passengers on board. I think we can safely assume the next scheduled cruises won't happen at this point. However, this is approaching the level of an unprecedented disaster for the region. Not even sure there is enough places for four cruise ship worth of people to stay right now. Hotels will be jammed by locals who have been forced out of their homes.

It's a matter of public safety now. This overrides the massive inconvenience to the current passengers and cruise lines.

Agreed. The point I was making was, besides customs (required) and porters (optional), what else would be needed? I was responding to a poster that felt that RCI would have to bring in a lot of their own people in order to support passengers debarking in New Orleans, but I'm not sure that that is true.

Gotcha. :)

Even if they could get the ship re provisioned for the next cruise, it would be irresponsible to put all that food and drink onboard. Send those supplies to a shelter, there's going to be a lot of people that need it. Royal is acting like this storm is just an inconvenience, not the natural disaster that it is shaping up to be. I wonder if Micheal Bayley would of had a cruise depart New Orleans a few days after Katrina.

If/when the ship docks today, and the passengers are given the option of leaving or staying onboard until tomorrow (or later?), I wonder how many people would get off the ship not knowing how bad things are in terms of transportation. And if someone gets off the ship and realizes that they basically can't go anywhere (like through/past Houston), I would guess that they cannot get back on the ship to spend the night. Not a good situation.

The best solution is for the port to stay closed until the situation is under control and all people who live in the area are safely rescued from their rooftops and relocated to shelters, and all streets and freeways clear. FORCE Royal to do the right thing, 'cause they don't know how.

BarryH can I ask if you've ever lived in Houston? I think you were the person who said the storm isn't moving so it will be fine yesterday?

I seem to recall quite a few people saying all was fine in Houston and Galveston and that the weather people were blowing it way out of proportion. Hope no one followed their advice.:rolleyes:

Even if they could get the ship re provisioned for the next cruise, it would be irresponsible to put all that food and drink onboard. Send those supplies to a shelter, there's going to be a lot of people that need it. Royal is acting like this storm is just an inconvenience, not the natural disaster that it is shaping up to be. I wonder if Micheal Bayley would of had a cruise depart New Orleans a few days after Katrina.

This is actually reminding me a little bit of the aftermath of Sandy in the NYC area. Everyone who lived here knew there was no way that the NYC Marathon should - or really even COULD - go on, and the decision should have been announced on Tuesday at the earliest, but Bloomberg refused to forfeit the "revenue" that the runners coming in would bring to the city and so it was not cancelled until FRIDAY AFTERNOON. (Incidentally after most people were already in the city. AND after news outlets showed the massive number of generators that had been set up in Central Park solely for the purpose of the marathon while people trying to just survive in the city and outer boroughs (and whole area) were dealing with no power, etc. Those who make it all about the revenue make me sick.

And this is exactly why putting all these people on port now would be dangerous. If you haven't had access to the news and video, this might actually sound like a realistic idea. And then lives are at risk for no reason.

Just because the ship docks in port does not mean passengers will debark. As others have said no one gets off unless customs officers are there, if they cant get to the port then no one gets off any way. It's probably more advantageous for them to be in port than just cruising in a circle in the gulf. One, you will use considerably less fuel, second you have access to food and medical care on land. Yes I understand that road closures impact all that but you have no access at Sea, atleast in port you have some access.

The other factor at play here is the Jones Act. I would hope the government would waive the per passenger fine for this situation. I don't know if that can happen. Going to a different port is horrible for everyone. It's horrible for the cruise line and the passengers on board.

The PVSA fines the cruiseline and not the passengers, yes the fine is determined per passenger. if the passenger is the cause of the violation then the line will often pass the fine along to them.

There are mechanisms in place for the cruiseline to easily obtain a waiver for things like mechanical problems and weather. I'm sure it won't be an issue in this case.

I wish the chief were around to add in his expertise to this thread, he always has such valuable, accurate information on operations and such.

My parents are on the liberty. They plan to drive back toward branson mo when they disembark. Do you think they would be better to stay on the ship tonight - if given the opportunity? I am concerned about them trying to drive in this but also concerned about it getting worse than it is even today.

They are going to be stuck on that ship until Wednesday. IMO